Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

There was an earlier thread which I really loved where people posted their favorite local music, so for entirely selfish reasons I'm creating an updated version of that thread. I'm really interested in learning about hits and classics that don't travel outside your country or language region. To keep things on track, the thread has three guidelines:

1. POST A RECENT HIT. Post a song that recently was a hit in your country / region. Something that drunk people stand up and shout along with when it plays in a bar (or similar) in your neck of the woods. Please provide some context for the song so we understand what's going on.

2. POST A STONE COLD CLASSIC. Post a song that is a stone cold pop classic for the ages in your country / region. Something that drunk people sit down and happily sing along with when it plays in a bar. Please provide some cultural context. What does this song say about your country?

3. NO SONGS IN ENGLISH! Sorry Anglos everywhere. Your cultural imperialism dominates the world's music market too much as it is, and as a consequence too many local artists try to be international superstars by singing in english. This thread is for stuff that is truly unique for countries other than USA/UK/Australia etc.

The definition of what is a "hit" or a "classic" is up for debate, and for you to decide. Try to find something that says something about your country or region.

My contribution

I'm from Finland, so I'm going to annoy Finns everywhere by picking two songs (a hit and a classic) that I like. If you don't like them, make your own post!

THE RECENT HIT: "Ikuinen Vappu" by JVG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUnd1E2-un8

Context:

JVG is a popular Finnish rap duo, and this song was a real nuisance on the radio last year. Translated, the name of the song is something like "eternal May day". In Finland, celebrations around the first of May are a big deal, and for Finns, the first of May (or "Vappu") celebrations have a particular type of optimistic feeling attached to them. Its spring - soon summer - and the party usually goes on for about two days straight. It used to be a worker's holiday, but nowadays is mostly a student thing.

So, the song is about the two guys in JVG touring around Finland, having something like an eternal Vappu. The main hook is catchy and easy to sing along to.

THE STONE COLD CLASSIC: "Teuvo, Maanteiden Kuningas" by Leevi and the Leavings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCa0bDXyKAo

This is a song that is extremely well known and loved in Finland. In typical Finnish fashion, it's a pitch-black satirical song that tells in first-person about a young guy ("Teuvo") who likes to drive his car fast, has some accidents and finally ends up dead. The title translates to "Teuvo, King of The Highways". The singer was a popular radio comedian back in the 80s-90s, and his band "Leevi and The Leavings" sold an enormous amount of records (by Finnish standards) even though they never played a single live gig. They weren't taken very seriously at the time, as they were seen as more of a "humor band", but their record company recognized that they were a cash cow and basically let them do whatever they liked. The content of their songs typically swings between funny, crass, sexy( /ist?), wistful, poetic and depressed, often within the space of a single song. The singer is often cited as one of the great Finnish lyricists, and the lyrics of this particular song are quite well done and witty, with satisfying rhyming schemes (kaunistus olisi / ajokortin vei poliisi). One line in the song that sticks to the mind of most people can be translated as something like “When I flew from the car’s front seat through the windshield, I rolled along the side of the road. As I spat out teeth at the bottom of a ditch, I vomited blood and cried.”

Needless to say, this is a very popular feel-good song that people love to sing along to in bars if they are drunk enough. Again, the song has a very catchy central hook.

Let’s hear some picks from your country too. I will do Sweden if no Swede steps up. (This is a threat.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

System Metternich posted:

In order to push the thread back on page 1 I'll just do Austria (where I've spent six years of my life) as well, okay?

Hey, thanks System, both the Germany and Austria posts are super interesting and just the kind of thing I was hoping for! Very cool post about Israeli music as well. Anything local playing in the clubs or on the radio right now in Israel?

I will soon do a post about Sweden, when I have a bit more time.

Tac Dibar has a new favorite as of 14:06 on Nov 28, 2020

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

All right, I promised I would do Sweden, so I'll do that.

I'm from Finland, and for us Sweden has always been our cooler, more successful cousin. We make fun of the swedes but secretly also admire them for being everything we are not: well dressed, worldly, extroverted, confident. That's how it looks to us, at least. However, when you spend some time with swedes, you realize that they also have a strong consensus culture - you shouldn't stick out or be too different. Being uncool is terminally embarrassing. In Finland being weird or different is perfectly fine.

So I''ll try to pick some songs that I think are interesting or meaningful. I spent my childhood on the Finnish coast, listening to Swedish radio, so I I'll try my best.

THE RECENT HIT: "Passa dig" by Miriam Bryant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KSaytO6ozU

This was very difficult as I'm not directly in contact with Swedish radio on a daily basis, so I picked this song from the Swedish toplists. I considered picking a song by Laleh, who I think is an interesting artist (here she sings to some kids about how kids are the future and she is unimportant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyvtLSuiK1M). But in the end I went with this other song instead.

The song is called "Passa dig", which means something like "watch yourself". It's basically a song about being hurt by the one you love and saying to them "be careful of who you hurt". This is juxtaposed with ordinary-looking Swedish women of different ages and from different backgrounds. I liked it!

Apparently Miriams mother is Finnish. Yay!

THE STONE-COLD CLASSIC: "Sommartider" by Gyllene Tider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kVRF0hTeyQ

Man, this song is not really a song anymore. The song is so ubiquitus that It's like a piece of furniture that's been standing in a corner for ever. You don't really reflect on it. If it plays on the radio, it's difficult to really even hear it - rather you kind of nod in acceptance and think "yeah, this old thing".

The name of the song means "summertimes" and it's just a happy song about summer, and something's going on, the city is glowing and there's lips against lips, and then there's a gigantic chorus that everyone can shout along to. If you look closely at the picture, you might see that the guy on the left is Per Gessle of Roxette fame. This was his earlier band, and they were enormous in Sweden at the time with many hits that are still played on the radio. I believe this was the biggest of them all. I don't think there are many Swedes over thirty that don't recognize this song.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Yeah! Lok and Lillasyster are great. I didn’t know they were the same guys. I especially like that a group of big sweaty dudes picked the name Little Sister for their band.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Kva fan, jie närpesbouar schenn? (Not a Närpesian.).

Here's the only song from Belgium that matters (past, present or future). Also a potential goldmine of gifs.

"Tanzen" by Tragic Error

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amun881JSdU

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

quote:

Another classical song of the other classical swedish category is the band ATTACK's one hit wonder - if someone really wanted to get drunk swedes to sing with them nothing beats this. It's famous in Finland too, and is apparently a standard curriculum item in 2nd language swedish class. I present,
"Ooa hela natten"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6--EOazgwM0

'Ooa' is boomer slang for masturbating. The chorus goes "i will masturbate all night, masturbate all day, masturbate all night and frighten half the city - masturbate all the night long until you discover me. Aao. AaoAoAoo." The lyrics is specificly about a woman being horny on a beautiful person and is singing at them, and that she would like to "bang" them, as it were.

WTF lol. That can’t be right.

Here’s a japanese song I like. I have no idea whether or not it’s a hit or what the lyrics are about.

https://youtu.be/T9aTZQi8cMg

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

What is even real anymore. Aaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

hell yeah here's some soviet submarine soundtrack funk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2lm8AC2qFk

If we're posting soviet music, I really enjoy this synthpop track. I have no idea how popular it was back in the day. Cool keyboardist as well. Like someone says in the comments, "When people lived in 1987 , that keyboardist lived in 2987".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6wl-EyhXl0

Edit: I also enjoy those thee superfans in the audience, all dressed in black and singing along with the lyrics.