Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:stare:

https://twitter.com/StrictlyChristo/status/1775569657707274351?s=20

EDIT: Look at that bus!

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1775335757974028477?s=20

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

When you encounter a large boulder the size of a small boulder on the highway, that's one thing... but a large boulder the size of a large boulder? gently caress that.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

It's not the size of the boulder, but how fast it's moving. :stare:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Uhh did we just see someone die? holy poo poo

Also I would have no loving clue what to do

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Wasabi the J posted:

Uhh did we just see someone die? holy poo poo

Also I would have no loving clue what to do

Surprisingly probably not. Despite this being the biggest earthquake Taiwan has experienced in 25 years, the death toll is around 12, with 13 still missing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I saw someone post a still of a car going the wrong way through a roundabout, but I can't find which thread it was in. Well anyway here's a live-action version

https://packaged-media.redd.it/c7km...1938fac7077#t=0

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.
I dig the bushes that completely bone your visibility of oncoming traffic. Excellent planning.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
That thing wouldn't legally qualify as a roundabout here. Build some proper ones!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Converting 4 way stops to roundabouts rarely works and I wish cities would knock it off. They did a lot of that in the west end of Vancouver and planted bushes in the middle of the thing and ruin the visibility there too and it's loving stupid.

Now you have people who don't understand how to do a 4 way stop AND don't understand how to use a (lovely) roundabout!

On the radio whenever traffic lights are out they say "use the 4 way stop procedure" and I weep because no one seems to know it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Whenever my power goes out so does the nearby traffic light. I always walk out to see the chaos. People don’t even slow down.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Entropist posted:

That thing wouldn't legally qualify as a roundabout here. Build some proper ones!

I've seen roundabouts you wouldn't believe.
Box trucks turning left through narrow lines of cars.
I've watched garbage trucks going the wrong way around near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost, like videos on a cheap SD card.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Four-way stops are the devil and must be destroyed at all costs. Roundabouts work fine down to very tiny. It might be a skill issue.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Four-way stops are the devil and must be destroyed at all costs. Roundabouts work fine down to very tiny. It might be a skill issue.

*F250 blasts through without stoppping or slowing* :911:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I think that 4 way stops are cool and good in neighborhoods. I'd rather force drivers to slow down and stop than maximize throughput where kids could be playing, especially now with poo poo like waze

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

priznat posted:

https://i.imgur.com/2293BE7.mp4

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Salami Surgeon posted:

I think that 4 way stops are cool and good in neighborhoods. I'd rather force drivers to slow down and stop than maximize throughput where kids could be playing, especially now with poo poo like waze

“No cop, no stop” is a thing people believe.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Full Collapse posted:

“No cop, no stop” is a thing people believe.

Not even the cops stop for people at crosswalks here. I moved downtown so I could walk to places, I would like to not die doing so.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Whenever my power goes out so does the nearby traffic light. I always walk out to see the chaos. People don’t even slow down.

Saw a new variant of this on the way to work today. Both the red and green lights on a traffic light were on at the same time.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/0JJXs4S.mp4

:ohdear:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Properly implemented roundabouts are cool and good, cities just can't stop themselves from loving them up in ways that defeat the entire point of a roundabout. (my favorite I remember is a roundabout that had stop signs at every entry point into the circle)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
there's a huge roundabout in my town where all the big roads meet
people kept loving up so now it has red lights every 5m lmfao

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.

Haifisch posted:

Properly implemented roundabouts are cool and good, cities just can't stop themselves from loving them up in ways that defeat the entire point of a roundabout. (my favorite I remember is a roundabout that had stop signs at every entry point into the circle)

I hate 4way stop roundabouts and mentally mock city planners when I see one, but they do at least present an obstacle for people blowing through them that regular 4ways don't.

i mean.. usually..

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
We need more bollards in our lives

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Haifisch posted:

How about four way intersection converted into a roundabout, while keeping the semaphores operational on all sides because the road engineers was too lazy? It could never happen right? It happened, multiple times :negative: .

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

In the area I lived once they were putting in traffic calming by putting concrete barriers diagonally across intersections with just a plain 5' pole in the centre of the old intersection and no sign on it for some reason (or maybe it fell off/was stolen?)

Anyway one winter we got a real heavy snow dump and some guy in a jeep came blasting thru the fresh snow and the barrier was completely obscured and he slammed into it and the pole at quite a clip. Just mangled that Jeep. I wondered if he ever sued the city on that one because he'd probably have a case.

It totally hosed up the intersection too as the larger fire trucks couldn't turn down it without just scraping the gently caress out of parked cars, which I saw happen as I stood and cringed as they just mangled some cars (not mine).. They have fixed it since and done a proper curve to do calming on it while allowing bikes to go through but man it was a poo poo show for a while lol.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Stop signs are dumb, we hardly have them in my country. People treat them as yield signs anyway. Four way stops are completely foreign to me. On an intersection with roads of equal priority, traffic from the right always has priority which avoids the ambiguity of four-way stops.

Basically this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42oQN7fy_eM

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Entropist posted:

Stop signs are dumb, we hardly have them in my country. People treat them as yield signs anyway. Four way stops are completely foreign to me. On an intersection with roads of equal priority, traffic from the right always has priority which avoids the ambiguity of four-way stops.

Basically this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42oQN7fy_eM
I'm not sure what you mean about ambiguity, since traffic on the right also has priority with four-way stops.

Also cars stop at signs where I live. California's weird.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

priznat posted:

Because it is incapable of making either a right or left turn in that space.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Dylan16807 posted:

I'm not sure what you mean about ambiguity, since traffic on the right also has priority with four-way stops.

Also cars stop at signs where I live. California's weird.

Imagine a four way stop, but with no stop signs. If you approach the intersection and there's nobody to your right, you don't stop.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Imagine a four way stop, but with no stop signs. If you approach the intersection and there's nobody to your right, you don't stop.

That's just an intersection with the light out and

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Brut posted:

That's just an intersection with the light out and

Ah yes but imagine a world where this is an expected traffic feature, where driver training was more than a perfunctory semester in high school for most people.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Driver’s education was optional where I grew up.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm not sure the 'drivers don't know what to do without lights' argument holds much water when evidence like this exists, lads :v:

https://twitter.com/Boenau/status/1775960063661814084?t=ox2zVU0DT5PCwU5pjASIog&s=19

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

Ah yes but imagine a world where this is an expected traffic feature, where driver training was more than a perfunctory semester in high school for most people.

You got driver training in school? That's pretty bloody fancy.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm not sure the 'drivers don't know what to do without lights' argument holds much water when evidence like this exists, lads :v:

https://twitter.com/Boenau/status/1775960063661814084?t=ox2zVU0DT5PCwU5pjASIog&s=19

The number of comments thinking the SUV is in the right and not at all at fault is troubling.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I mean they're obviously wrong but it is cathartic to watch

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That’s some tunnel vision light watching to get a good launch right there lmao

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I mean they're obviously wrong but it is cathartic to watch

Everyone deserved what they got.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
There is an intersection I drive a lot which has a left turn light that switches from Green to "Yield to oncoming traffic" as my light turns green.

Often there are lots of people who just gun it for that left turn without yielding. I admit I've been guilty of going on my green while people are running the "yield". I do watch for idiots who won't stop (because I don't want to be in a crash) but usually my big truck will give the light runners second thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Full Collapse posted:

Driver’s education was optional where I grew up.

You know I just don't think driving would be very fun if I had to drive around knowing most other drivers on the road got their license from a box of cereal. Particularly not if I had a car I liked!