Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

IOwnCalculus posted:

Column shift automatics aren't going away until there aren't automatic transmissions to put in trucks and vans anymore.

Or until button and knob shifters replace levers.

One important feature for cab and chassis trucks and vans is the ability to seat three across. For vans especially with a deep doghouse, space on the console is at a premium. But it will happen one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I don't mind column shifts.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

slidebite posted:

I don't mind column shifts.
Can't have a bench seat without a column shifter. :eng101:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cage posted:

Can't have a bench seat without a column shifter. :eng101:

Yep, which allowed your honey to snuggle with you at the drive-in.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When I was a kid, before I learned how to drive I would sometimes have a nightmare where I was in the back seat of the family lead sled, alone, the car barreling down the local main street, desperately reaching for the steering wheel and the column shifter, not knowing what to do.

Later on my family owned a first year Sable which had numerous lemon-y issues, including a brake pedal that would suddenly drop a couple of inches when you had your foot on it, like at a red light. It's responsible for a recurring nightmare (albeit in a different car) where I'm stepping on the brake as hard as possible but the car is slowly rolling forward into traffic.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Dick Trauma posted:

When I was a kid, before I learned how to drive I would sometimes have a nightmare where I was in the back seat of the family lead sled, alone, the car barreling down the local main street, desperately reaching for the steering wheel and the column shifter, not knowing what to do.

Later on my family owned a first year Sable which had numerous lemon-y issues, including a brake pedal that would suddenly drop a couple of inches when you had your foot on it, like at a red light. It's responsible for a recurring nightmare (albeit in a different car) where I'm stepping on the brake as hard as possible but the car is slowly rolling forward into traffic.

Post/user name checks out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dick Trauma posted:

These dream are as common as ones about showing up to school naked or teeth falling out.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

But I've actually experienced both of those.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Yeah, I had those car related dreams. Didn't know they were common.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I've never had a car with brake issues but I still have dreams about my car creeping forward no matter how hard I apply the brakes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Are you in the market for an '86 Sable?

EDIT:

Short list of problems my family encountered:

1. Gross sulfur smell from exhaust
2. Dashboard hot enough to fry an egg
3. Aforementioned inexplicable brake pedal drop
4. Trunk seal leaked noxious black goop
5. Front seat cushions went flat within the first year
6. Light bulbs in decorative headlight panel constantly burned out

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 7, 2024

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Weirdly, no. I'll let you know if that changes though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Are you in the market for an '86 Sable?

EDIT:

Short list of problems my family encountered:

1. Gross sulfur smell from exhaust
2. Dashboard hot enough to fry an egg
3. Aforementioned inexplicable brake pedal drop
4. Trunk seal leaked noxious black goop
5. Front seat cushions went flat within the first year
6. Light bulbs in decorative headlight panel constantly burned out

We had one too, it's the first car I remember my parents buying and it was just such a colossal garage queen. Broke down all the time.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Someone’s dad growing up had a 1990s Sable. That was not a good car.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Was the mercury brand slightly fancier than ford but not as fancy as Lincoln? I’ve never understood it. Or was it like the ford version of Pontiac which was like the base (Chevy) cars but slightly weirder and uglier.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

priznat posted:

Was the mercury brand slightly fancier than ford but not as fancy as Lincoln? I’ve never understood it. Or was it like the ford version of Pontiac which was like the base (Chevy) cars but slightly weirder and uglier.

It was both of those at various times. Ford never seemed to really know what to do with the brand.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

priznat posted:

Back in the 80's my dad's wife had a foxbody Capri, slightly different exterior than the Mustang and had a nicer more sporty interior. Slow as poo poo with the 4 cylinder just like the Mustang tho :v:

Then they got a Dodge Daytona turbo which was a lot faster but it was a steaming pile of poo poo that spent more time at the dealership getting fixed

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I might be weird, but I preferred the look of the Capri to the contemporary Mustang

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

What manual transmission car had the most gears on a tree? Big rigs don't count.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

slidebite posted:

I might be weird, but I preferred the look of the Capri to the contemporary Mustang

giving me Saab vibes, which are good vibes

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I saw a convertible geo metro this morning and I still think they're cute

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The VW Golf Cabriolet (2002 and earlier) is still my high bar for cute convertibles. I love the adorable easter basket handle.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Back in 1984 I went for a ride in one of those. It was a summer night and we rode through town to the beach and then up the Pacific Coast Highway. Many years later I saw the "Pink Moon" VW commercial and it reminded so much of that night that I still get misty eyed when I see it.

EDIT: For the young 'uns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-kqUkZnDcM

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Back in 1984 I went for a ride in one of those. It was a summer night and we rode through town to the beach and then up the Pacific Coast Highway. Many years later I saw the "Pink Moon" VW commercial and it reminded so much of that night that I still get misty eyed when I see it.

EDIT: For the young 'uns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-kqUkZnDcM

They was a good promo. VW had some good advertising around the turn of the century.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I've never had a car with brake issues but I still have dreams about my car creeping forward no matter how hard I apply the brakes.

Same and the solution I've found is to get out of the car and fold it up into a little suitcase like the Jetsons. Works every time.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Midjack posted:

They was a good promo. VW had some good advertising around the turn of the century.

There was the "one million miles away" ad for the Mk4 Jetta, and you can't forget "da da da" for the Golf. "The Un-pimp the Auto" series was genius. "You get an F!"

There was another commercial I remember seeing for the Mk3 Jetta that I haven't been able to find, it highlighted the process of downshifting to get around an RV on a winding mountain road. First shot is a camper up ahead, second is the driver looking to passenger with a smirk. Third shot is their hand grabbing the gearshift, yanking it downward, and the next shows the tach revving from 2k to 3.5k. The car shoots to the passing lane and overtakes the RV, and then resumes its place in the driving lane. The driver smiles. Fade to white & the VW symbol.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

NoWake posted:

There was the "one million miles away" ad for the Mk4 Jetta,

I'd forgotten that one. The entirety of Unpimp Ze Auto is forever burned into my brain, though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wait for it.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLrB9qSvv2g

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh jeez is that a teen that borrowed moms car and has hosed up horrendously

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Oh man, that's rough 🫣

Kid clearly has absolutely no idea where the far side of the car is and just keeps digging a deeper hole out of panic.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://www.reddit.com/r/CrazyFuckingVideos/comments/1cpjhbz/one_of_the_wildest_police_chases_in_ohio_state/

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

tag yourself, I'm the owner of the parked truck that cop could've easily avoided slamming into if it weren't for 'roids and/or adrenaline

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
While ACAB, I think that cop's vehicle was disabled by the previous crash into the runner. Looks like he either had no steering or power or both.

The full chase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htJkcefw0Q8

The part through the construction zone is scary.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 18, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

drat that Hyundai could take a beating

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

priznat posted:

drat that Hyundai could take a beating

Hyundai needs to pull a Timex for doing a commercial.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

MiniFoo posted:

tag yourself, I'm the owner of the parked truck that cop could've easily avoided slamming into if it weren't for 'roids and/or adrenaline

The amount of poo poo that could have went wrong is astounding.

Cripes, get your cops under control Columbus.

You are to serve and protect. Not play GTA.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Colostomy Bag posted:

The amount of poo poo that could have went wrong is astounding.

Cripes, get your cops under control Columbus.

You are to serve and protect. Not play GTA.

actually scotus has said that the cops dont have to do either of those things

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

There was just a real sad event in Ontario where the cops were chasing a guy the wrong way down a highway and he crashed into a family's car killing a baby and the grandparents (and the suspect driver). It's really dumb to do these kind of chases when it gets so loving dangerous for people who have nothing to do with it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Isn't this stuff what police helicopters are for? There's not too many reasons this kind of chase should happen because of all of the innocent people who were endangered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

When you're the biggest armed gang in town you gotta remind everyone else of the fact constantly lest someone else move in on your turf.