Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
If I recall correctly AoA is actually one of the few concepts from the show that ended up in comics and not the other way around, (unless that story is BS)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

On a semi-related note, I just read up on Bastion, since he's not a character I'm familiar with at all. And I came across this summation from the comics about his origin:

"In Marvel Comics, the Master Mold absorbed the systems of an immensely powerful Sentinel prototype from another universe: Nimrod. The resulting beast was far too powerful for the X-Men to defeat, causing them to force the entity through the Siege Perilous, a pan-dimensional portal that grants those who step through it a new life. Bastion emerged from this portal as Sebastion Gilberti, an ostensibly human version of the two sentinels, completely devoid of memory of the life that came before."

What the gently caress did I just read? I feel like I know less now that I did when I started.

I guess he's part Super Sentinel? But that whole "Sentinel from another dimension, then forced through another portal to yet another dimension that spit out a sort of human" thing totally lost me.

I looked it up too after being informed who the villain was and honestly, :same:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Shoehead posted:

If I recall correctly AoA is actually one of the few concepts from the show that ended up in comics and not the other way around, (unless that story is BS)

AoA launched in the comics in January 1995, that episode didn't air until September.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

AoA launched in the comics in January 1995, that episode didn't air until September.

That's true, but animation development cycles are quite long and there was some creative crossover behind the scenes. The issue isn't who made it to screen/the shelves first, it's who developed the concept first and was there any cross-pollination that could've plausibly lead to the parallel development.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

thrawn527 posted:

I kind of doubt it. I think it was just a cameo. Bringing Cap in as a major player would take some focus off the Mutants at a pretty crucial time.

On a semi-related note, I just read up on Bastion, since he's not a character I'm familiar with at all. And I came across this summation from the comics about his origin:

"In Marvel Comics, the Master Mold absorbed the systems of an immensely powerful Sentinel prototype from another universe: Nimrod. The resulting beast was far too powerful for the X-Men to defeat, causing them to force the entity through the Siege Perilous, a pan-dimensional portal that grants those who step through it a new life. Bastion emerged from this portal as Sebastion Gilberti, an ostensibly human version of the two sentinels, completely devoid of memory of the life that came before."

What the gently caress did I just read? I feel like I know less now than I did when I started.

I guess he's part Super Sentinel? But that whole "Sentinel from another dimension, then forced through another portal to yet another dimension that spit out a sort of human" thing totally lost me.

Honestly the funny thing is that Nimrod on his own was more powerful than the Master Mold/Nimrod fusion, and Bastion. Integrating Nimrod into lesser tech tended to hold it back.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm curious if people think Captain America was out of character? I'm certainly no expert but just based on my own vague understanding sand what I'm reading elsewhere, him talking about "I can't help you until I get cleared" does not seem like a Cap thing to do.

Like most characters I think that typically boils down to the writer and the story being told. I'm sure he's been on both sides of things in comics history, though generally most writers and storylines tend to have him not being in the government's pocket. If he is gonna be holding government water, I think it would be more likely to happen when appearing as a guest in another comic, so that trend seems to hold here.

X-O posted:

Cable is voiced by the guy that did Gambit in the original series.

That's honestly a solid approach to take with the OG voice actors given that they'll have aged up into playing older characters more naturally. I think the actors reprising their original roles have done a good job, but i can get behind doing this for any other actors involved in the original series if they can find a character to plug them into.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 24, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Burginator posted:

It's really not out of character for him -- He's never anti-mutant or anything, but he certainly doesn't like doing any actual legwork for them or putting his neck out for them like 95% of the time. I legitimately can't even remember if he's ever even fought a sentinel, let alone actually been a meaningful part of defending mutants in any way but lip service. The whole "Can't help you until I get cleared" is pretty in character in that mutants don't rank as high as most of the stuff that he'd willingly ignore orders for.

He's been helping them a fair amount in the current comics.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Also, I’m gonna need to see Brie Larson suplex a Celestial in the next Captain Marvel movie. Rogue has really upped the woman wrecking ball game.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Rubber Chicken posted:

Was it not the same voice actor as Dr Hemlock on Bad Batch? Sure sounded similar

I was so sure about this too, so you know you're not alone in thinking this. Hemlock is Jimmi Simpson of jarringly distinct fame for Always Sunny and Westworld.

NowonSA posted:

That's honestly a solid approach to take with the OG voice actors given that they'll have aged up into playing older characters more naturally. I think the actors reprising their original roles have done a good job, but i can get behind doing this for any other actors involved in the original series if they can find a character to plug them into.

And if anything Wolverines voice is an even better fit now.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Marsupial Ape posted:

Also, I’m gonna need to see Brie Larson suplex a Celestial in the next Captain Marvel movie. Rogue has really upped the woman wrecking ball game.

Look, I really liked them both, but lol if you think there's gonna be a "next Captain Marvel movie". The Marvels had a worldwide gross of $206.1 million, with a reported budget of $274.8 million. It's a Marvel movie that actually lost money. We can go back and from on why that was, but that's a disaster for Marvel. She'll probably show up in other movies like Avengers, but no way is there going to be a Captain Marvel 3.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 25, 2024

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Look, I really liked them both, but lol if you think there's gonna be a "next Captain Marvel movie". The Marvels had a worldwide gross of $206.1 million, with a reported budget of $274.8 million. It's a Marvel movie that actually lost money. We can go back and from on why that was, but that's a disaster for the Marvel. She'll probably show up in other movies like Avengers, but no way is there going to be a Captain Marvel 3.

RDJ made five appearances post-Iron Man Three so there could still be plenty of opportunities for Larson to suplex a Celestial even without a Captain Marvel 3.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

thrawn527 posted:

Look, I really liked them both, but lol if you think there's gonna be a "next Captain Marvel movie". The Marvels had a worldwide gross of $206.1 million, with a reported budget of $274.8 million. It's a Marvel movie that actually lost money. We can go back and from on why that was, but that's a disaster for the Marvel. She'll probably show up in other movies like Avengers, but no way is there going to be a Captain Marvel 3.

Next movie apperance.

I just wanted to make the suplex joke.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Marsupial Ape posted:

Next movie apperance.

I just wanted to make the suplex joke.

Fair enough.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Marsupial Ape posted:

The fun thing is that Rogue literally has Carol Danver's powers.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
It should be the Hager pile driver

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

MonsterEnvy posted:

The fun thing is that Rogue literally has Carol Danver's powers.

I know! That’s my point! I liked the Captain Marvel movies, but energy blasts don’t do it for me. Hitting a tank with an another tank is what I want to see.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Sucks for Carol that the woman who stole her powers and memories and left her in a coma for months is a thousand times cooler and more popular than she is.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

1st AD posted:

Yeah the MCU Captain America is a different character altogether, this Steve Rogers is not the same guy.

I kind of hope they don't bring this show into the MCU, I like that it's in its own timeline. Disney can always just bring the X-Men characters into live action for the MCU, just keep this show out of that timeline.

This show is good enough that I signed up for the Marvel Unlimited app and have been catching up on stuff that came out post Astonishing X-Men

After you finish the Utopia era, just skip to House of X/Powers of X.

thrawn527 posted:

Isn't it obvious the movie bombed because it was bad? Basically every scene that didn't involve Kamala fell flat and the villains weren't interesting.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 25, 2024

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

NowonSA posted:

Like most characters I think that typically boils down to the writer and the story being told. I'm sure he's been on both sides of things in comics history, though generally most writers and storylines tend to have him not being in the government's pocket. If he is gonna be holding government water, I think it would be more likely to happen when appearing as a guest in another comic, so that trend seems to hold here.

I'll say that for as much as I stand by Lenore Zann's voice having aged most noticeably, she's loving killed it in her last two appearances performance-wise. That scene with her finally starting to grieve, and Kurt being the best little brother (...I think he's supposed to be the younger one? It's not really clear to me what the timeline is even in the comics) .

And on a different note, that scene with Sunspot and his mom is ooof (in a 'the show did what it set out to' way) with the whole 'rich folks treating queerness as some kind of vice to be tolerated as long as it's kept out of the papers' metaphor.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Isn't it obvious the movie bombed because it was bad? Basically every scene that didn't involve Kamala fell flat and the villains weren't interesting.

The Marvels wasn't top tier, but it was decent, it bombed for a lot of reasons that had barely anything to do with the quality of the film itself. Plus it had a lot of cuts that sound like they hurt the movie way more than helped in a misguided attempt to sand off the interesting bits.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I got a little excited when Quicksilver showed up because I thought they were going to have an Avengers X-men team up, but it was Morph.

Bastions voice sounds a lot like Hemlocks in the Bad Bad its distracting.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Spacebump posted:

No it's not obvious at all

And the opinion that you cite is one you might form after watching the movie, which shouldn't really affect early box office

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ok the one thing I haven’t figured out is, Bastion mentions that he was one of the X-Men’s villains previously in that scene where he was talking to Sinister. I can’t think of who they are referring to.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ok the one thing I haven’t figured out is, Bastion mentions that he was one of the X-Men’s villains previously in that scene where he was talking to Sinister. I can’t think of who they are referring to.

Okay, so, Bastion is Nimrod, the Super Sentinel from the future, having gone through the Siege Perilous and turned human after merging with Master Mold.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fivemarks posted:

Okay, so, Bastion is Nimrod, the Super Sentinel from the future, having gone through the Siege Perilous and turned human after merging with Master Mold.
Ah ok, I thought they were referring to someone else

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, the villain gave me severe Spader-as-Ultron vibes, which I don't love. (I like it fine in that movie, as a way to lean into Stark being Ultron's 'father' in the movies, rather than Pym, to be clear)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

i really doubt they're gonna introduce Excalibur stuff here

Over in the Comic Book Animation thread, another user had a better idea on what they'll do with Bastion:

OnimaruXLR posted:

X-Men 97 theory: I think this version of Bastion is Graydon Creed

My data points:
-Friends of the Humanity focus in the first episode, who were toting new, Sentinel-derived tech
-Rogue and Nightcrawler focus recently, with Mystique potentially lurking in the wings having impersonated Valerie Cooper
-Sinister makes this Bastion seem like a known quantity from the old show, Bastion himself talks about how he's "evolved." There's been an undercurrent of jealousy to Creed's anti-mutant bigotry due to who his family is, so turning into a killer cyborg from hell would probably be really appealing to him.
-Getting mauled by Sabretooth (Graydon's implied fate in his last appearance of the old show) would make him a prime candidate to being rebuilt into a cybernetic Sentinel.
-The scenes with Magneto and Gyrich in this episode were some real serial killer poo poo. Y'know who's dad was a serial killer???
-Let's be honest, there's only a handful of notable anti-mutant human bigots, and the guy who turned into Bastion originally was a bit of a nothingburger

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Spacebump posted:

Yeah, I remember catching a bit of Utopia stuff, then mostly tuning out of x-men, then reading basically everything x-men/mutant related from House of X/Powers of X on to today. I can vouch for that whole era being full of banger concepts and storylines.

While all the stuff of the Krakoa arc has been really fun and interesting, I think it's time to retire "form a permanent large-scale mutant haven or nation" as a concept unless they're willing to commit to it and make it a permanent change to the status quo (or as permanent as anything in Marvel gets, since even the Fantastic Four aren't always in the Baxter Building). With the various ways Krakoa was able to muster mutant might, if even that doesn't stick then I feel like nothing can.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Over in the Comic Book Animation thread, another user had a better idea on what they'll do with Bastion:
I think this may be correct

That character was one of the main antagonists of the original series and it would make a good deal of sense

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Marsupial Ape posted:

Fantastic episode. They've almost completely weened us off the 'pure' 90s aesthetics of the first 4 episodes and the show is now becoming 'modern' in its storytelling sensibilities. I am excited to see what it full matures into.

There's a shot of Rogue flying through the wings of a Victory of Samothrace style statue. We are now officially in the era of atavistic flying women.

That's el https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_of_Independence, ese! El Ángel is the quickest way to set up CDMX aka Mexico City. It's where everyone gathers whenever their soccer team wins. I think it's the first time I see it in US-media? Maybe? I'm a stoner with bad memory.

Soonmot posted:

Also loved that it dios de los muertos in mexico, just like it'd be mardi gras if we went to new orleans

Yeah! Honestly I was just glad to see Mexico city as an actual city even if it was brief. Disappointing that the dude was holed out in an stereotypical Hacienda-type house but eh, baby steps.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Thanks for the winged lady clarification. It’s another one for the binder….

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don’t think Bastion here will have the same origin as his comic counterpart as it hasn’t been set up. Though Nimrod inside Master Mold in the opening is probably a reference.

I could also see Bastion creating Nimrod as the big weapon he is suggesting he is working towards.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

live with fruit posted:

RDJ made five appearances post-Iron Man Three so there could still be plenty of opportunities for Larson to suplex a Celestial even without a Captain Marvel 3.

none of the RDJ movies lost money

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Zefiel posted:

Yeah! Honestly I was just glad to see Mexico city as an actual city even if it was brief. Disappointing that the dude was holed out in an stereotypical Hacienda-type house but eh, baby steps.

I thought it was a reference to Pablo Escobar's La Catedral, but maybe I'm succumbing to my own prejudice here.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
As an American I assume that every not-America has a street festival everyday.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

Really good episode, every minute was a banger.

Captain America was a nice cameo, don't expect him to show up, I think he served his purpose to reinforce how the US government and the UN is just ignoring the mutant tragedy and leaving them hang to dry.

Rogue throwing his shield into the mountains was such a dick move lol

That being said, if cameos are up, please give us a Spider-man cameo! He's more or less an honorably X-men anyway.

I love Emma Frost lol. Everyone of her lines this series were all great quotes.

Also I liked that when Rogue drops the dude and lets him fall down the building, its Morph, the jokester of the group that gets the line "Is this who we are now?"

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Does anybody know how well the show is being received in Japan? I'm interested in their view point since the show is taking a lot of inspiration from 80s and 90s anime.

Also, you child-keepers. Are they still able to keep up with all this?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

GateOfD posted:

Really good episode, every minute was a banger.

Captain America was a nice cameo, don't expect him to show up, I think he served his purpose to reinforce how the US government and the UN is just ignoring the mutant tragedy and leaving them hang to dry.

Rogue throwing his shield into the mountains was such a dick move lol

That being said, if cameos are up, please give us a Spider-man cameo! He's more or less an honorably X-men anyway.

I love Emma Frost lol. Everyone of her lines this series were all great quotes.

Also I liked that when Rogue drops the dude and lets him fall down the building, its Morph, the jokester of the group that gets the line "Is this who we are now?"

That Morph line seems to really be implying some kind of division is coming. And, as you noted, it's frickin' Morph who says it, not Cyclops. Cyke is the guy you'd expect to raise the biggest stink right away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7PvNYXdYKc

He doesn't look happy at what she did, but he didn't verbally object. Maybe he would have given more time but I still think it might be significant with the X-Men dividing over what they stand for and what methods are acceptable.

Or, as the team is about to break up, Xavier shows up and reunites everybody under his dream.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

My only issues with this theory is that Beast mentions the cybernetics in the secret lab are way beyond any contemporary technology that humanity should be capable of, which I doubt Graydon would be capable of; and Forge had a photo on his wall of himself with Dr Adler and an obscured Bastion, which would had to have been 4+ years old given that Adler was already dead by the time of his season 1 “appearance” via Mystique in 92/93, and Graydon was still running around being a shitheel long after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

With the talk of reactions to the big moment near the end of the episode, it's also worth keeping in mind that Jean, the one character whose abilities would've explicitly for sure been able to at least attempt to stop it from happening, didn't do anything to stop it. Morph's powerset makes it seem like they'd be able to stop it even with just the forms we've seen them take with a Morph into Quicksilver to run down to the ground, then a morph into Archangel to catch him. Hell Nightcrawler could've made the save too (port to the roof edge, port down to Trask, port to safely land somewhere with Trask). But all of them are shown just hanging back a decent distance from the edge having watched it happen. I chalk that up to surprise at what they just saw Rogue do, but you gotta figure if she'd just dropped someone they actually cared about at least one of them would've stepped up to make the save.

It's nice to see the X-men change in reaction to major trauma like Genosha and have very human reactions to it, and I think that along with other stuff from earlier (like Magneto's big flying U.N. speech) give me a lot of hope for the series to be able to really nail treating the characters as if they're real people. There have been other small moments along the way, but that Magneto moment and the stuff I put in spoilers above stand out in particular to me.