Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NowonSA posted:

With the talk of reactions to the big moment near the end of the episode, it's also worth keeping in mind that Jean, the one character whose abilities would've explicitly for sure been able to at least attempt to stop it from happening, didn't do anything to stop it. Morph's powerset makes it seem like they'd be able to stop it even with just the forms we've seen them take with a Morph into Quicksilver to run down to the ground, then a morph into Archangel to catch him. Hell Nightcrawler could've made the save too (port to the roof edge, port down to Trask, port to safely land somewhere with Trask). But all of them are shown just hanging back a decent distance from the edge having watched it happen. I chalk that up to surprise at what they just saw Rogue do, but you gotta figure if she'd just dropped someone they actually cared about at least one of them would've stepped up to make the save.

I also noticed that. Jean can catch a building but didn't bother to catch Trask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

none of the RDJ movies lost money

So Larson will only get two or three.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Marsupial Ape posted:

Does anybody know how well the show is being received in Japan? I'm interested in their view point since the show is taking a lot of inspiration from 80s and 90s anime.

Also, you child-keepers. Are they still able to keep up with all this?

I've seen next to no buzz (granted I haven't really been looking either) but there's no dub, which is weird, because a lot of Disney Plus stuff has had day and date dubs.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Morph can replicate Angel's ability because it's just an extra visible component to his physicality. He wouldn't be able to replicate Quicksilver's super-speed anymore than he could Logan's healing factor, Scott's Punch Dimension portal eyes, Rogue's power drain or Marvel powers, etc.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Morph's been shown to be able to use the powers of pretty much everyone he's turned into. He had Psylock's psi katana and used Illyana's portals.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Sentinel Red posted:

Morph can replicate Angel's ability because it's just an extra visible component to his physicality. He wouldn't be able to replicate Quicksilver's super-speed anymore than he could Logan's healing factor, Scott's Punch Dimension portal eyes, Rogue's power drain or Marvel powers, etc.

Proven wrong in the same episode we're talking about...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Spacebump posted:

Isn't it obvious the movie bombed because it was bad? Basically every scene that didn't involve Kamala fell flat and the villains weren't interesting.

Kamala is an absolute gem. Her and Tom Holland need to be in a movie together already.

The Marvels culminates with Captain Marvel restarting an entire loving star. Something the people making the movie thought was so uninteresting they didn't even bother showing it onscreen in anything other than a crowd shot.

Also, how the gently caress did Captain Marvel restart a star? Also, how did killing the Supreme Intelligence kill a star*?

Also, when one of your heroes can restart a loving star without effort, showing her having trouble fighting an ordinary person with a hammer is just stupid, no matter how many gimmicks the hammer has. And going hand-to-hand with unarmed mooks over and over and treating them like they're a threat is stupid squared.

* and strip a world of it's air and water? No time to explain, just keep moving forward!

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 25, 2024

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And one thing to add - the Siege Perilous is a loving chair.

What the hell, comics?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

DigitalRaven posted:

Proven wrong in the same episode we're talking about...

Yeah, the series hosed up because that's not how Morph works.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And one thing to add - the Siege Perilous is a loving chair.

What the hell, comics?

Isn't that the thing that helped them fake their deaths in the 80s? It's a chair!?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
The seige perilous in the comics has a tendency to take away rather than give. IIRC going through it robs Rogue of her powers and splits it into a rotting Carol Danvers. Magneto saved her and the whole savage land romance begins (Clearly different in the show)

Colossus goes through it too and loses his memories, to become a big hunky sensitive artist for a while.

Comics!

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

But it is how Morph works according to the showrunners.
Physical powers can be imitated. This has been stated. I interpret it not to mean that the actual powers are ‘copied’, just that Morph’s body contorts in such a way to replicate the ability of the character in question. E.g. Mimicking Angel’s flight through the wings plus presumably lowered density/weight. Blob through elasticity. Colossus through increased density and hardened skin, etc. Quicksilver is a stretch, but not impossible to justify if you assume Morph approaches Plastic Man levels of cellular control.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Shoehead posted:

Isn't that the thing that helped them fake their deaths in the 80s? It's a chair!?

Siege is an old word for seat.

In Arthurian legend, the Siege Perilous is a chair at the round table which Merlin left for the knight who brought back the grail. If anyone else sat in it, they would die.

Which is what makes it so perilous.

In Marvel, it's apparently a magical portal or gem or something which changes people into random poo poo :shrug: Probably because someone at Marvel saw the name, had no idea what it actually meant, but decided it sounded cool.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 25, 2024

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Sentinel Red posted:

Sorry, “it’s cool and fun” rule wins here

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Morph became Quicksilver as a treat for me, specifically

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I always laugh at the comic book logic of Master Mold. Of course our factory is shaped like the thing it makes. Surprised Elon hasn't done this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LongDarkNight posted:

I always laugh at the comic book logic of Master Mold. Of course our factory is shaped like the thing it makes. Surprised Elon hasn't done this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4LMs6tELrE

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Sloth Life posted:

...it robs Rogue of her powers and splits it into a rotting Carol Danvers. Magneto saved her... (Clearly different in the show)

I'm still slightly confused by the bit in the latest episode where Rogue (in Mexico) does her mind meld thing with the racist and passes out while clearly Not Having A Good Time. Meanwhile the rest of the X-men in Genosha receive that message and Cyclops goes, "We're off to Madripoor!" (south east Asia apparently).

Then the next scene is Rogue waking up on the street in Mexico, and finding Morph and the Gang there. They didn't go to Madripoor, they're now in Mexico, somehow. I thought it was a dream sequence, but then they all go off together to find the drinks machine.

The evil bed killing guy saying it was "all part of the plan" makes me think Something happened to Rogue during the mini mind meld which we'll find out in a later episode?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Aertuun posted:

I'm still slightly confused by the bit in the latest episode where Rogue (in Mexico) does her mind meld thing with the racist and passes out while clearly Not Having A Good Time. Meanwhile the rest of the X-men in Genosha receive that message and Cyclops goes, "We're off to Madripoor!" (south east Asia apparently).

Then the next scene is Rogue waking up on the street in Mexico, and finding Morph and the Gang there. They didn't go to Madripoor, they're now in Mexico, somehow. I thought it was a dream sequence, but then they all go off together to find the drinks machine.

The evil bed killing guy saying it was "all part of the plan" makes me think Something happened to Rogue during the mini mind meld which we'll find out in a later episode?

This also confused me, so I'm somewhat expecting a reveal later, too. Might just be weird editing, though.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

twistedmentat posted:

Morph's been shown to be able to use the powers of pretty much everyone he's turned into. He had Psylock's psi katana and used Illyana's portals.

Yea, the Quicksilver one was a bit of a stretch for me. Like I acknowledge the physical attributes like Blob, and simple stuff like Wings or hardbody like Colossus. But had to stop at Quiksilver thinking if its physical or speed force lol.

I saw Psylock's psi blades, so that's a mutant power? I think that's shouldn't be possible for me. Don't remember the portals. But I remember lllyana holding a big sword, but that's not a power or a physical attribute right? Where did the sword come from?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

GateOfD posted:

Yea, the Quicksilver one was a bit of a stretch for me. Like I acknowledge the physical attributes like Blob, and simple stuff like Wings or hardbody like Colossus. But had to stop at Quiksilver thinking if its physical or speed force lol.

I saw Psylock's psi blades, so that's a mutant power? I think that's shouldn't be possible for me. Don't remember the portals. But I remember lllyana holding a big sword, but that's not a power or a physical attribute right? Where did the sword come from?

Agreed, if Morph can copy mutant abilities, what's to stop the team from having another Jean Grey? (Uh...I mean another another.)

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
If Morph can take on the power of the mutants he morphs into, why wouldn't he just become and stay the most powerful mutants, at least in a fight?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Clearly Morph is an omega level mutant.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

live with fruit posted:

If Morph can take on the power of the mutants he morphs into, why wouldn't he just become and stay the most powerful mutants, at least in a fight?

cuz hes chill like that

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Usually the way they depict characters who can steal or absorb powers in stuff, they usually can't use them as well as the people who've had them their entire lives, which kinda makes sense. If you magically absorb the ability to play tennis, you still aren't going to have that instinctive muscle memory type of skill.

For Morph in this I suspect they made the change to give them more to do in fight scenes, to give them more than pure jokes and so they don't have to crowbar in stuff like "Morph uses their powers to infiltrate a place" every episode. Also means they can have stuff like Colossus, Quicksilver, Psylocke and Magick "show" up without the full song and dance actually having them show up for real would entail in their 10 episode order.

Edit: I did forget that, my bad.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 25, 2024

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Missed opportunity to have him do stupid stuff like tie up bad guys with his arms or trip up a sentinel from across the street or fold himself up like an envelope and slide under a door.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Reminder that Morph's pronouns are they/them :eng101:

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Aertuun posted:

They just went to pick up her up and then went to Madripoor afterwards. Geographically it's a huge detour, but it's understandable they wanted Rogue there when they went to confront Trask.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The Morph discussion just makes me think of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H75TQGD1nSU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

DiscoJ posted:

They just went to pick up her up and then went to Madripoor afterwards. Geographically it's a huge detour, but it's understandable they wanted Rogue there when they went to confront Trask.

I wasn't really clear how they knew where Rogue was. She went to find find whatshisname, found Cap instead, Cap gave intel that led her to Mexico, she went to Mexico and passed out. I guess she told them, "Hey, I'm going to Mexico to get this rear end in a top hat," before she went? And the exact coordinates of where she'd be? It's not a big deal, just feels a little sloppy.

Gavok posted:

The Morph discussion just makes me think of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H75TQGD1nSU

lmao

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
So Rogue did her suck memory/personality thing, what are the chances of some ongoing Gyrich influence do we think? He is/was not a pleasant man

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

I wasn't really clear how they knew where Rogue was. She went to find find whatshisname, found Cap instead, Cap gave intel that led her to Mexico, she went to Mexico and passed out. I guess she told them, "Hey, I'm going to Mexico to get this rear end in a top hat," before she went? And the exact coordinates of where she'd be? It's not a big deal, just feels a little sloppy.

I’d agree it wasn’t explained, but given the communication technology they are known to carry, I don’t think it’s a huge stretch they simply tracked her via GPS or whatever. It’s not like she was trying to hide from the team.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Couldn't Jean have just used Cerebro?

Dead on Arrival
Nov 4, 2008
How did Batman get back to Gotham city? Who loving cares, stop fixating on dumb poo poo...

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

live with fruit posted:

Couldn't Jean have just used Cerebro?

poo poo, I forgot this was one of the few shows that didn't have to explain this situation. Good point.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://x.com/BeauDemayo/status/1783542680217415965

He actually answers some people in the replies who guess.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

no one even questions it, but it makes so much sense that Jubilee just wanders off with her boyfriend while the rest do this rather important work.
she's still a teenager/kid, so she doesn't get to tag along on the grown up missions.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I just want Storm to come back and ask if she can hold the baby, and if Gambit and Rogue are still fighting.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

can't wait for Storm to just storm in in the middle of a fight and save everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

of all the possible criticisms of episode 6, my biggest disappointment is that we no longer get to see a de-powered Storm kick Scott's rear end