Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I'm going to just guess that Ben Bishop has accumulated 40 or more shutouts, I know he's played for 5 different franchises (STL, OTT, TB, LA, DAL)

**nope, only 33 + 5 more in the playoffs :(

I couldn't even remember who played starting goalie for Minnesota for the last 5 years in the other thread, I have no chance :( hint please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

fawning deference posted:

Two more. I think one is halfway "of course this guy" but halfway tricky because it's hard to remember that he played for a fifth team.

The other one is active.

the active guy is Mike Smith?.. I know he started in Dallas and then went to Tampa Bay and then Arizona, Calgary and finally Edmonton

If I'm wrong maybe I should be thinking of goaltenders who are good instead of goaltenders who played for 5 teams lol

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Seems that in 89-90, HockeyDB recognizes Barrasso has having two shutouts, whereas H-R does not. NHL.com also doesn't recognize these 2 shutouts.

I wonder what the story is here.

maybe they are part game shutouts where someone got hurt? I could see discrepancies arising out of that

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Vokoun is correct! He played 1 game for the Canadiens in his first year! The active one will come to you - it should. He's been underrated his whole career.

Craig Anderson?

**I know he's been with Ottawa forever but he bounced around at the start of his career, could be a guy who sneaked in some games in 5 different teams

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

well i've given every possible wrong answer on the active goalie, it can't be that hard for someone who's brain actually works to swoop in and give the right answer :D

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Man the goaltenders must be from the 90's.. I can't see anyone getting 40 enough run to lose 40 games in the modern NHL. My first thought was Steve Mason but he never even got close to 40 losses lol

I have one for you fawning! (since your asking all the questions so far)

The lowest point total for any player to lead his team in scoring this year was 43 points by Adam Henrique for the Anaheim Ducks. That's pretty sad, although it did take place in a shortened season. Believe it or not over the previous 6 seasons (since the 2012-13 lockout abridged season) 43 points is not the lowest total for a player to lead their team - and those were full 82 game seasons!

My question is if you can name every instance of a player leading his team in scoring having registered less than 50 points in the last 6 full seasons. There are 9 such instances on record. If you can give the player and the team he did it for that's great, but I will accept just naming the players too :) The time period is from the start of the 2013-14 season to the end of the 2018-19 season.

some of them might be pretty easy to guess, others I would say even fans of the team in question may have wiped from their memory :D

If it's too difficult to do, I will happily give years and teams as hints :)

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 11, 2020

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I will guess Derek Stepan (very recent, hard to know the year but I'll guess 18-19) for Arizona? I'll also guess Nate MacKinnon in his rookie year for that poo poo Avalanche team?

your logic is sound narrowing in on the Coyotes, but the name is wrong unfortunately.

And Colorado is one of the surprising teams that despite having some objectively awful clubs, never seemed to struggle for having a couple guys fill up the net. MacKinnon is incorrect :)

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Ekman-Larsson?

I would guess Palmieri but he led with 50 even last year.

quote:

The Coyotes haven't been able to score for years and I know Schmaltz and Keller were racing to see if they could hit 50 last season, but I guess that's not a full year. I'd guess that no one did it for them in 18/19 either, so Keller for the Coyotes?

Two Correct Answers!!!

T2. 2014-15 Arizona Coyotes - Oliver Ekman-Larsson - 43 points
T2.
7. 2018-19 Arizona Coyotes - Clayton Keller - 47 Points

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I'm sure the Devils had someone. Like the 17-18 Devils were a nightmare.

it is very possible :)

**for clarification the question is over the last **6** full seasons.

2013-14
2014-15
2015-16
2016-17
2017-18
2018-19

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Elias and Larkin are not correct answers

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

It was last 6 full seasons which presumably skips last year and the 2012/13 lockout year?

yeah this is correct.

I will say that you picked the correct team in the 2013-14 panthers, but the wrong player :D

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

I am not sure I can name a single other player off those rosters. Brian Campbell?

no Brian Campbell was 1 off the team lead that year.. and he only scored 37 points lol

It is a player who is reasonably well known and was a long term guy on Florida

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

^^^nope! not Ekblad! he didn't hit the scene till the following year.

ThinkTank posted:

Was it Henrique again?

Henrique is a correct answer! I snuck him into the question lol, but he has some experience leading bad teams in scoring

1. 2013-14 Florida Panthers - Mystery Player - 38 points
T2. 2014-15 New Jersey Devils - Adam Henrique - 43 points

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Nope I'm afraid all those Florida guesses are wrong :(

The guy is currently 28 years old, he lead the 2013-14 Panthers in scoring his rookie season.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

So he was like 20 then? Does he still play for them? Was it Huberdeau?

It is not Huberdeau, and he does not currently play for the Panthers but he did for the vast majority of his (to date) career

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Also I could have sworn Ekblad led the team in scoring in his rookie year, was it a different season?

Ekblad didn't show up until the following 2014-15 season, and he did not lead that team in scoring - that was Huberdeau who had been in the league a couple seasons by that point but had only scored 28 points in 2013-14. Our mystery player actually also out-scored Ekblad in 2014-15 :D

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

tinstaach posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a Red Wing on that list of sub-50 point seasons. Zetterberg?

Zetterberg did have a 50 point season to lead the 2015-16 Red Wings, but that is just outside the cut! good guess :)

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Didn't he not join the team until like 2019? Or did he have an earlier appearance on the team before his stint in Russia. I am exposing my Florida Panthers ignorance here.

It was not Dadonov who had left for Russia after 2012

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Hint: 91 or 92 birth year?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Gotta be a guy on Nashville pre-Johansen/Forsberg too

Nope, much like Colorado the Predators have been surprisingly consistent at having decent scorers on their team.. which surprised me too cause of their reputaiton. Their lowest leading point scorer in that time frame was 56 points, and the rest of the seasons were all over 60.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Pungry posted:

All these fools forgetting Tricky Nick Bjugstad will pay when he isn't injured.

hahaha there we go! the owner of the worst team scoring title in modern history! :D

1. 2013-14 Florida Panthers - Nick Bjugstad - 38 points

I will say of the remaining names, one was from the 2018-19 season and is a well known player, the others are from 2013-14 and 2014-15 and obscure teams... I will leave it open for more guesses for a bit cause people are pretty good at working things out, but I will fill in team names soon if we don't make progress

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 12, 2020

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Dubinsky c. 2013 or 2014?

Columbus has actually been pretty consistently good over the time period in question, again only one season less than 60 points..

I thought Ottawa would be on this list for sure at some point but they had Erik Karlsson bleed into Mark Stone. It's not always the worst teams... but sometimes it is the worst team in modern NHL history which I'm amazed noone has brought up yet.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

What about the Leafs in 13-14?

The Leafs do make an appearance, but not from 13-14... i actually gave wrong information before when i said all the remaining teams besides one were from 2013-14 and 2014-15. To be fair I'll identify the 2015-16 Leafs/

5. 2015-16 Toronto Maple Leafs - Mystery Player - 45 points
7. 2018-19 Arizona Coyotes - Clayton Keller - 47 points

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 12, 2020

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I've mentioned Detroit and it's why I guessed Larkin

ok this year's Detroit team was pretty bad, but they aren't in the sample. There are other teams that have approached or surpassed the 2019-20 Red Wings for being historically bad though...

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

The Avs had pretty much the worst season in the modern era in 16/17 but I'd guess MacKinnon hit 50 points? Was he injured or something and it was Duchene?

yeah Colorado had good years from Duchene and even Landeskog if I remember correctly.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

The Sedins and then Horvat always meant the Canucks had over 50pts per year... I'd certainly remember if they didn't.

Was it the pre-McDavid Oilers? They had Hall and such but they could've done it. Nugent-Hopkins or Hall c. 2014?

nope the Oilers are free and clear of sub 50 point seasons.. maybe from the era of Sam Gagner they did it lol, but that's from before our time.

in 2013-14 Daniel Sedin led the Canucks with exactly 50 points! he's an honorable mention along with 2015-16 Zetterberg.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Gobias Ind. posted:

The Leaf is Kadri I think

correct! I think that would have been one of the tougher teams to guess if I hadn't flubbed it :D

5. 2015-16 Toronto Maple Leafs - Nazem Kadri - 45 points

Of the remaining teams, one appears twice from consecutive seasons (and again how nobody has identified this team is beyond me), and the other two spots are held by players who are / will be in the hall of fame!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Did Radim Vrbata lead the Coyotes or Canucks?

we are done with the Coyotes hehe :)

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Pungry posted:

I feel like the Starsfan would ask a question that would have a Star as an answer, but Jamie Benn seems to be too good a scorer.

Eric Staal lead one of those obscure teams? Feels like an HoF player.

Carolina has swerved close to the 50 point limit on a couple of occasions, closest was a 51 point season by Jeff Skinner in 2015-16. Not Eric Staal I'm afraid.

**It's getting close to the weekend so I'm going to open the floodgates. Here are the remaining teams! :D

4. 2013-14 Buffalo Sabres
6. 2014-15 Buffalo Sabres
8. 2018-19 Anaheim Ducks
9. 2013-14 Detroit Red Wings

good luck getting the 2013-14 Sabres or Red Wings lol

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 12, 2020

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

I'm struggling with appeared twice in a row for the same team that no one has identified. The Ducks? Getzlaf or Perry?

Getzlaf is correct! One future hall of famer down!

6. 2014-15 Buffalo Sabres
8. 2018-19 Anaheim Ducks - Ryan Getzlaf - 48 points
9. 2013-14 Detroit Red Wings

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I did mention Buffalo. Hm

sorry i did not see that :(

Those teams were historically awful.

It's actually two different players from those Buffalo squads. One of them is possible if you know your Sabres history, the other is a 0% chance anyone will get it.

**Pomminville and Reinhart are not it :)

**oh and there are actually 2 correct answers for the 2013-14 Red Wings!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Someone stupid like Jochen Hecht or Paul Gaustad? Did Girgensons actually lead the team in scoring that year there was that depressing all-star campaign for him?

One of the Buffalo players was actually good.

(solid 40-50 point guy throughout his prime, actually desired by other teams)

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

great guess but no

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Didn't Brian Gionta play a year with the Sabres?

Correct height, wrong player lol

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

No :( Vanek left the Sabres in 2013-14 after player like 12 games. Sullivan was tiny but never played for the Sabres that i can tell.

Man, I thought this was going to be one of the obvious ones :/

our 2014-15 Buffalo player has re-invented himself into a kind of analytics darling as a 4th line player who can play up in the lineup.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Ennis? Does he have good analytics?

Ennis is correct!

Maybe it's just cause he's spent time in Toronto and Edmonton playing up in those lineups as well as on the depth lines, but I've often seen the analytics community use him as an example of bringing in a talented player for cheap on the depth lines rather than the usual grinders. :)

6. 2014-15 Buffalo Sabres - Tyler Ennis - 46 points
9. 2013-14 Detroit Red Wings (2 players tied)

As for the remaining two (actually three players) it's going to be tough :(

We have a defenceman making a surprising appearance, a hall of fame player who was know for playing with another team, and a once very promising prospect who washed out of the league soon after the season he lead his team in scoring.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

Gus Nyquist or Kronwall for Detroit?

Comedy answer: Red Wings legend Daniel Alfredsson

That is double correct! Alfredsson and Kronwall tied with 49 points to lead the Red Wings in 2013-14 for scoring!

6. 2014-15 Buffalo Sabres - Tyler Ennis - 46 points
9. 2013-14 Detroit Red Wings - Daniel Alfredsson and Niklas Kronwall - 49 points

**the worst thing about this buffalo player is I could probably give a hundred hints down to the guys initials and noone would ever guess it lol.

That's not to say I don't want you to try :D

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 12, 2020

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Promising prospect who immediately washed out? Holy crap it's future Canuck captain Cody Hodgson isn't it?

we have a winner! I guess Pungry had you sized up correctly when he figured you would get it :D

Well done everyone!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

I try to block that guy from my memory because I remember being very upset that they traded him. I was quite wrong about that.

Haha well we are lucky that you were in the thread or I might have been sitting in here all night giving out hints :(

CBJSprague24 posted:

Just wanted to drop this in before I forgot the question:

The three players who contributed to the final goal in Hartford Whalers history would later be reunited with the early-years CBJ. Who were they?

god drat i thought that Cody Hodgson was a hard answer. There's no one on earth who can guess that D:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I guess the Whalers lasted to 1997 and the Blue Jackets started in 2000

For some reason I thought they were like a decade apart or something, I was trying to think of old guys on the early Blue Jackets but they are only a few years apart so it could be literally anyone...