Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Does anyone have any good resources on planting and growing ferns? I love my houses fern landscape but have no idea how to maintain them, and have a few more places id like to put them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

That leaf cutting my friend gave me 3 months ago has finally made the shoot i was told it would make

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Real hurthling! posted:

That leaf cutting my friend gave me 3 months ago has finally made the shoot i was told it would make

Epiphyllum pumilum or oxypetalum?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

skylined! posted:

Epiphyllum pumilum or oxypetalum?

I think its red when it blooms he said

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Hello! I have a Devil's Vine that has been doing quite well in its lifetime (It's like 10 feet long!) but I think it's outgrown its pot and/or I overwatered it and the leaves at the base are slowly turning bright yellow and dying.

Is there a way to remove the extra segment of bare vine near the base without hurting the rest of the plant?

Can you just cut it and plant it back in the soil? Can you cut it and put it in water until it propagates roots even though it's massive? I feel like the answer to the latter question is no because I feel like one of my earlier cuttings included a second leaf that was growing and it died while the rest of the cutting grew roots.

e:
Visual aid:

Jelly fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 29, 2024

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Sometimes they just drop leaves seasonally, and near the base is a likely place for that to occur based on the light available. Sometimes they'll grow new leaves to replace them. They are very easy to propagate by sticking a node in some soil (or in water), but I wouldn't take a super long cutting to do that.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Being in front of that vent may not be doing it any favours, either.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Yeah what they said. Could be the vent. Could be overwatering I guess, though it would have to be more sitting in a puddle and getting root rot. They're pretty hardy things. My golden pothos loses leaves pretty much constantly, usually in the spots that are getting the least light at the time. Here's one patch gone bare that's farthest from my grow light.

Kind of a big risk trying to cut out that section and rooting the rest though. You'd probably lose a lot more leaves that way. Maybe take a top cutting, root it, and then train it up to grow and cover the bare patch? Or just move the thing and coil the bare part around the pot or something?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Jelly posted:

Hello! I have a Devil's Vine that has been doing quite well in its lifetime (It's like 10 feet long!) but I think it's outgrown its pot and/or I overwatered it and the leaves at the base are slowly turning bright yellow and dying.

Is there a way to remove the extra segment of bare vine near the base without hurting the rest of the plant?

Can you just cut it and plant it back in the soil? Can you cut it and put it in water until it propagates roots even though it's massive? I feel like the answer to the latter question is no because I feel like one of my earlier cuttings included a second leaf that was growing and it died while the rest of the cutting grew roots.

e:
Visual aid:

I joined the aroid crazies with COVID and have been a pretty avid grower, seller, etc for about 4 years now - for what that is worth with my observations. This looks like lack of light induced senescence - if the plant isn't sensing enough light (or some other environmental condition isn't adequate), it will drop leaves. Overwatering is a bit of a misnomer - Epipremnum are native to SE Asian rainforests where they can get rained on daily in the wet season without issue. Doesn't work if they aren't in a warm, humid, bright environment though.

You can cut the bare vine, let it callous a few hours, and put it in a humid, warm, bright space until it grow new shoots. This is essentially how all these plants are greenhouse propagated - a bunch of section of vine are planted into baskets and then just left to grow in a greenhouse until they are bushy. If you pull the plant out of the pot and remove the soil you'll probably have 4-6 vine segments that started from a cutting. Epipremnum and Scindapsus grow readily from vine cuttings so it's more common that tissue culturing them.

You can cut them and stick the cut vine back in the pot but it's less likely they will succeed - you want a bright, very humid, warm (like 80F) space to induce new shoot and root growth.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Thanks everyone, this is all good info. I don't think I can create the necessary environment to open-air root like sky notes, so I may just see how it goes.

The vent is actually an in-wall heater that generally doesn't get any use, but it did get some limited use during the recent cold snap, so that's definitely a suspect and something I'll keep in mind.

I'll just let it do it's thing for now, maybe into the spring light and see what happens. I also have a huge coleus bush that is looking sad AF that I'm not sure will bounce back so I'll probably make a decision on them both in 60 days or so.

If no leaves grow back and the ugliness bothers me I may just go on a cutting spree and a propagate a new garden.

Chad Sexington posted:

Maybe take a top cutting, root it, and then train it up to grow and cover the bare patch?
This is a great idea!

Jelly fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 30, 2024

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Cutting the top also has the benefit of allowing lower axillary buds to activate and branch off the main stalk.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
The Pothos I bought from Home Depot some years ago had almost no roots whatsoever. I went to re-pot it and found it was just a bunch of cuttings in potting soil with a couple of tiny thread roots at most. It was still fine, though!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I was personally never much of a fan, but the Planterina channel and social media accounts, website, storefront, etc all vanished a couple of days ago without a trace and nobody has any idea as to why.

After Epic Gardening, Planterina was probably the largest plant channel on YouTube.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

trilobite terror posted:

I was personally never much of a fan, but the Planterina channel and social media accounts, website, storefront, etc all vanished a couple of days ago without a trace and nobody has any idea as to why.

After Epic Gardening, Planterina was probably the largest plant channel on YouTube.

Whoa, wild. Wonder if sales tanked post-covid.`

There's a youtube vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh-jTQM8NPQ

skylined! fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 2, 2024

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Just potted up my insane-o ponytail palm and, as is her custom, she succeeded at creating dozens of tiny cuts on my face and arms.

The pot was bigger than I was expecting but I'm not super worried about overwatering. My hope though is that I get some more trunk growth this year relative to the massive leaf canopy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Just potted up my insane-o ponytail palm and, as is her custom, she succeeded at creating dozens of tiny cuts on my face and arms.

The pot was bigger than I was expecting but I'm not super worried about overwatering. My hope though is that I get some more trunk growth this year relative to the massive leaf canopy.

If it’s clipped like most are (easier/cheaper to import) the trunk won’t rly get any bigger. It’ll thicken a bit with time but the extension will be in the branches.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

trilobite terror posted:

If it’s clipped like most are (easier/cheaper to import) the trunk won’t rly get any bigger. It’ll thicken a bit with time but the extension will be in the branches.

It is! By trunk I meant branches too. It hasn't really dropped leaves much over ~3 years so the branches haven't emerged overly much.

Looking at it again though I think the new pot is just too big. I may trim the roots a bit and find something as wide but shallower.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
can sphagnum moss come back to life? I have some orchids on a pebble tray filled with water to keep them appropriately humid, and over time due to picking up the pots to water/care for the plants, some moss has fell out onto the pebbles. I haven't cleaned it up because I figured it'd just help with evaporation and moisture retention, but I just noticed this morning that some of it has turned green, and seems to be revived, living moss.

I should probably take some pictures to make sure it isn't mold or some algal growth, but in the few moments I spent looking over it just now it didn’t seem to be that. I've just never heard of this happening

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

indigi posted:

can sphagnum moss come back to life? I have some orchids on a pebble tray filled with water to keep them appropriately humid, and over time due to picking up the pots to water/care for the plants, some moss has fell out onto the pebbles. I haven't cleaned it up because I figured it'd just help with evaporation and moisture retention, but I just noticed this morning that some of it has turned green, and seems to be revived, living moss.

I should probably take some pictures to make sure it isn't mold or some algal growth, but in the few moments I spent looking over it just now it didn’t seem to be that. I've just never heard of this happening

Same question but it's some of the moss in my orchid's container! I guess the answer has to be yes because it's definitely turned a very live green but is that weird or bad?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Well, in their natural environment things like phalaenopsis and other houseplant orchids are epiphytes, which means they grow on other plants. Phalaenopsis will grow in pockets of detritus on the limbs of trees, which would be things like fallen leaves, twigs, bits of bark, moss, that sort of thing. I doubt it would cause any trouble for your orchid but I'm wondering how it would manage to photosynthesize in an orchid pot.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Mad Hamish posted:

Well, in their natural environment things like phalaenopsis and other houseplant orchids are epiphytes, which means they grow on other plants. Phalaenopsis will grow in pockets of detritus on the limbs of trees, which would be things like fallen leaves, twigs, bits of bark, moss, that sort of thing. I doubt it would cause any trouble for your orchid but I'm wondering how it would manage to photosynthesize in an orchid pot.

In my case they're clear plastic orchid pots! I'm a bit more worried that it's a sign that the pot is too damp and needs more airflow but one of the two pots it's happening in has great big holes in it so it might be fine.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've heard that it can do that, but it's never happened with my pre-dried moss. I have lots of live sphagnum though, and it can dry out a lot and still bounce back once it's rehydrated.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

indigi posted:

yes, dried moss can grow back/revive

depends on how long the moss has been dry for and whether it was cooked/dyed/etc as part of its processing

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Any experience with bonsai ITT?

I was gifted a Home Depot ficus and from my initial research bonsai nerds consider them irredeemable trash tier (not ficus itself but the s-curve ones you get at all big box stores) where you basically have to cut all the way back and start over.

I'm not averse to developing esoteric new plant hobbies that only pay off after years. Just curious what to do with this little guy for now.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Put it in a place with plenty of light and enjoy it! Those things aren't suitable for all the training and pruning that makes bonsai a hobby/practice, but they're nice if you just want a cool little tree.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

indigi posted:

It is almost certainly just growing algae on top of the dead moss. Dried sphagnum is almost universally sterilized - has to be for commercial trade due to ag import laws - which kills spores. Pretty much all sphagnum moss in US trade comes from Canada or Peru. Very common but pictures would help.

Organza Quiz posted:

Same question but it's some of the moss in my orchid's container! I guess the answer has to be yes because it's definitely turned a very live green but is that weird or bad?

Algal growth is common in clear pots since light penetrates into the substrate, which is probably what this is. It is usually not a big deal but too much can restrict air flow to roots and lead to rot, especially in plants like orchids that need good airflow to the roots. Hydrogen peroxide mixed into your watering routine once or twice can kill the algae and not hurt the roots. There are other plant-safe algecides out there as well, but if you use them be sure to follow the label as written or you risk harming the plant.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 20, 2024

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Put it in a place with plenty of light and enjoy it! Those things aren't suitable for all the training and pruning that makes bonsai a hobby/practice, but they're nice if you just want a cool little tree.

It should be suitable! It's the species almost universally heralded as the easy bonsai that is impossible to kill.

I decided not to do anything drastic for now and will just wire a couple branches and see where it goes. Also going to copy what I'm doing with big sister ficus audrey and play with using sphagnum moss on nubs to see if I can get aerial roots going.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ok yeah now that you mention it I went to look again and that definitely looks like algae, I just didn't realise what I was looking at! It's really taking over one of the pots so I will try the hydrogen peroxide trick and report back.

In other news I have a little mostly-native balcony garden now and I'm very pleased with how it's doing!

The plant on the far right of the first pic is a special purple kangaroo paw hybrid but it was past flowering season when I got it so I've gotta keep it happy all the way until spring to see it!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Any experience with bonsai ITT?

I was gifted a Home Depot ficus and from my initial research bonsai nerds consider them irredeemable trash tier (not ficus itself but the s-curve ones you get at all big box stores) where you basically have to cut all the way back and start over.

I'm not averse to developing esoteric new plant hobbies that only pay off after years. Just curious what to do with this little guy for now.

they're not trash tier at all, really depends on the shape the tree is in. The pot will probably be unsuitable for good bonsai practice but might be useful as a training/growth pot if it's oversized, depending on its shape

you can take those wimpy s-shaped mass market trees and turn them into really nice trees by just letting them grow out and thickening up (and ideally throwing out some aerial roots) you can change the direction and shape of the tree by growing out branches and selecting a new apex, or yes chop it back and radically change its shape and possibly scale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtkQogADyyM

you can do that with increasingly large but still restrictive bonsai pots and waiting a while (like a decade+) or by popping it into a much bigger nursery pot and possibly burying it a bit. If you can put it outside in the summertime and/or in a humid growtent or similar indoors for the fattening then even better, and it'll bulk up much faster.

Really there's a whole beginner course of knowledge to learn on bonsai in general, and ficus bonsai specifically. There's a lot of good content on the subject online and on youtube. But there's no reason that you can't (1) have a really nice tree today and/or (2) an even nicer tree in the future, whether you choose to have it styled in the interim period or whether you want to aggressively build toward a future design. IDK if I'm making any sense, it's super late here

FWIW, February/March is the best time to get into the hobby if you want to grab a couple of outdoor trees and/or indoor trees at a garden center or whatever, some basic tools, and a starter pack of wire online. Grab a couple junipers, or pines, or azaleas, or boxwoods, or maples, or schefflera, or ficus, or more interesting poo poo if you're feeling froggy, and make a season of it.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 22, 2024

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
what's a good intro to bonsai for someone with zero bonsai knowledge?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

we have a bonsai thread somewhere

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

trilobite terror posted:

they're not trash tier at all, really depends on the shape the tree is in. The pot will probably be unsuitable for good bonsai practice but might be useful as a training/growth pot if it's oversized, depending on its shape

you can take those wimpy s-shaped mass market trees and turn them into really nice trees by just letting them grow out and thickening up (and ideally throwing out some aerial roots) you can change the direction and shape of the tree by growing out branches and selecting a new apex, or yes chop it back and radically change its shape and possibly scale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtkQogADyyM

you can do that with increasingly large but still restrictive bonsai pots and waiting a while (like a decade+) or by popping it into a much bigger nursery pot and possibly burying it a bit. If you can put it outside in the summertime and/or in a humid growtent or similar indoors for the fattening then even better, and it'll bulk up much faster.

Really there's a whole beginner course of knowledge to learn on bonsai in general, and ficus bonsai specifically. There's a lot of good content on the subject online and on youtube. But there's no reason that you can't (1) have a really nice tree today and/or (2) an even nicer tree in the future, whether you choose to have it styled in the interim period or whether you want to aggressively build toward a future design. IDK if I'm making any sense, it's super late here

FWIW, February/March is the best time to get into the hobby if you want to grab a couple of outdoor trees and/or indoor trees at a garden center or whatever, some basic tools, and a starter pack of wire online. Grab a couple junipers, or pines, or azaleas, or boxwoods, or maples, or schefflera, or ficus, or more interesting poo poo if you're feeling froggy, and make a season of it.

Thanks for this! As a hobby it seems intimidating to get into because even beginner videos on YouTube they're often working with gorgeous 10+ year old trees and this guy is just not the same thing. It was topped poorly and the branches that back-budded are whorled and all over the place.

I do think it falls much more squarely into the "cool houseplant to gently caress around with" category (see: my solution to try and get aerial roots) than actual pre-bonsai. But I may be interested enough to try and get some proper trees and make a go of it.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i found the bonsai thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3464693

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I did the hydrogen peroxide thing, but I don't think it had any effect; or, if it did, it was the opposite of what I expected. now there's this

it's just juvenile orchids on this tray which is indoors and enclosed in vinyl beside an air purifier that runs 24/7, so I’m really not sure what's going on if it wasn't something in the moss

indigi fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 25, 2024

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

indigi posted:

I did the hydrogen peroxide thing, but I don't think it had any effect; or, if it did, it was the opposite of what I expected. now there's this

it's just juvenile orchids on this tray which is indoors and enclosed in vinyl beside an air purifier that runs 24/7, so I’m really not sure what's going on if it wasn't something in the moss

IDGI, what’s the problem? That the moss is green? That you’ve got some stray grass popping up? Seems fine to me

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh it isn't a problem, at least I don't think so, I'd just never seen dry bagged moss come back to life before and was curious. At first I was worried it may have been fungal or algal and must protect these baby orchids

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

indigi posted:

oh it isn't a problem, at least I don't think so, I'd just never seen dry bagged moss come back to life before and was curious. At first I was worried it may have been fungal or algal and must protect these baby orchids

it isn’t fungal. It looks like revived moss to me on my phone, which can happen depending on how your moss was sourced/dried/etc.

If it’s algal, or moss growing on moss, you’ll be fine. It won’t affect your orchids

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Anyone know wtf is up with my snapdragons? They've been stuck at this size for a while, and some look like they're dying. Tried moving the light further away, then closer, bottom watering more, not misting, lowering the temp on the heat mat, adding fertilizer, but :shrug: I have echinacea and daises growing in the same area, doing totally fine; only difference is the manufacturer of the soil.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Woke up this morning to some of my freshly sprouting bulbs out in the roof planter all dug up and strewn about.

They are on a roof in a box covered in 6 inches of dirt so im thinking it was either a cat, a rat, a racoon, or a bird, or like the heavy rain last night liquifying the dirt and making the bulbs float?

:iiam:

Also someone is giving me a chinese evergreen and said it can just sit in windowless room all day np is that correct?
I got a chinese ivy thats been cool with no light and an a/c blowing on it for years already.
Are these plants actually from china or is chinese like a weird plant nursery term for 'perfect for office lighting conditions'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Woke up this morning to some of my freshly sprouting bulbs out in the roof planter all dug up and strewn about.

They are on a roof in a box covered in 6 inches of dirt so im thinking it was either a cat, a rat, a racoon, or a bird, or like the heavy rain last night liquifying the dirt and making the bulbs float?

:iiam:

Also someone is giving me a chinese evergreen and said it can just sit in windowless room all day np is that correct?
I got a chinese ivy thats been cool with no light and an a/c blowing on it for years already.
Are these plants actually from china or is chinese like a weird plant nursery term for 'perfect for office lighting conditions'

The Chinese evergreen (aglaonema) would prefer some bright indirect light and will not be particularly happy in a dark windowless room. Put it in a room that gets some light through a window from anything but the north and it will grow. If it's getting some light from the north window indirectly it will probably not grow, but it probably won't die either.