Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the fungified mini Phal I rescued from Target is a loving beast. it kept all of its blooms for six weeks after losing a leaf and a half to fungus excision, still has two of its flowers left, and is putting out strong new roots as well as two new leaves; one started two weeks ago, the other just today as the first is still growing. I didn’t know phalanopsis did that. I didn’t even know they put out new roots or growth while flowering

I've got to repot this thing cause the media it's in is terrible, but I have no idea when I'll do it if it's constantly in growth or flower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i have a chinese evergreen sitting in indirect light a couple feet from a lamp and it seems to be pretty happy, it's slowly growing and unfurling new leaves

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

indigi posted:

the fungified mini Phal I rescued from Target is a loving beast. it kept all of its blooms for six weeks after losing a leaf and a half to fungus excision, still has two of its flowers left, and is putting out strong new roots as well as two new leaves; one started two weeks ago, the other just today as the first is still growing. I didn’t know phalanopsis did that. I didn’t even know they put out new roots or growth while flowering

I've got to repot this thing cause the media it's in is terrible, but I have no idea when I'll do it if it's constantly in growth or flower

if it’s a dwarf breed it’ll grow to “medium phal” size at the absolute biggest, but it’s not ever going to get as big as a “normal” sized phalaenopsis can

it also shouldn’t be in flower all of the time

flowering in phals is a seasonal/annual thing, you’ll get 1-2 flowering attempts per year with 1 to maybe 3 flower stalks per go, and that’s assuming that you’re not keeping a perfectly wild-type temperature and photoperiod cycle and are instead moving the plant around and exposing it to light and temp changes and generally treating it like a houseplant.

start seriously messing with the temperature and photoperiod in a concerted way and even then the most it can do is like two flowering cycles in a year.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

indigi posted:

Those grocery/hardware store store phals are something else. I got one for free from home depot that looked absolutely awful and dropped a leaf when I repotted it. Now it routinely puts out 2 spikes with over 20 flowers each 2 times a year with no special treatment. I guess the insane amount of hybridization the growers do with these really pays off. If you have a bit of patience you can get a really nice plant out of these.

Also, in my experience if a phal is really growing well you can get leaf growth during flowering, but it's definitely slower than leaf growth in the peak summer season

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

my dirt bean is growin its first arm

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
anybody know why my meyer lemon is turning brown from the branch tips and drying up? It's currently indoors, which is dry, but this is the third year I've had the tree and it's never done this poorly. My pink lemon has been next to it/in the same environment the whole time I've owned both and it is fine. As of right now a lot of the branches are either mostly or completely dry but the center leader remains green for now

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Are you watering it when the soil gets very dry? You might want to move your waterings closer together.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

trilobite terror posted:

anybody know why my meyer lemon is turning brown from the branch tips and drying up? It's currently indoors, which is dry, but this is the third year I've had the tree and it's never done this poorly. My pink lemon has been next to it/in the same environment the whole time I've owned both and it is fine. As of right now a lot of the branches are either mostly or completely dry but the center leader remains green for now

What's the soil like, or container it is in? It might be a root disease for all I can tell from the description.
When you say "currently" it implies you've moved it around from its usual spot?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Anyone have a fully automated greenhouse? Like, closer to commercial, and not hobby?

We are going to convert our carport to a greenhouse. It's already on a slab and framed, so much easier than building a new one. I figure we can just remove the asphalt shingles, plywood and siding, and sub-ceiling and have a mostly-framed structure ready to convert. It was built in like 1994, so still in great shape and was done to code.

The slab has no grade, so drainage is a big question mark. There's a storm drain a few feet away but I will be fertilizing regularly and don't want to leach fert into the storm drain system.

Planning currently to frame out rest of the carport space, scab with double wall polycarbonate, run gas/electric/water, install gas heater and swamp cooler (or some sort of cooling), probably a fog system, maybe overhead sprinklers, large rain barrel/pump/gutters for rooftop collection, lights, fans, automatic vents, exhaust fans, etc.

Since it's untreated wood (almost certain yellow pine) we will either seal with oil or just paint with deck stain or exterior latex. It'll be humid constantly, like 80%+, so want to seal the wood.

Has anyone else done a project similar to this? Any pitfalls, suggestions etc?

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I work at a tree breeding nursery that has automated greenhouses. Don't cheap out on software. Make sure you're able to open the house up in warmer months, as it's very hard to cool a closed greenhouse in summer. Consider getting shade cloth too. For watering, it depends on what you're growing, but in a greenhouse environment on pavement you want as focused as possible to curb algae growth, and invest in a good pressure washer too. poo poo will get nasty after a while. Heating wise you'll want to decide if you want under bench heating for propagation/seedlings or just a good heater for the entire space.

It all really depends on what you plan on growing. Keep in mind that the greater the diversity in what you're growing the more difficult it will be.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Customer wants me to spread 18" of wood chip mulch over her entire 1/2 acre yard. Apparently this is permaculture. GOOD IDEA OR GREATEST IDEA?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I mean, three hundred years from now it might start to get nice

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Woodpile posted:

Customer wants me to spread 18" of wood chip mulch over her entire 1/2 acre yard. Apparently this is permaculture. GOOD IDEA OR GREATEST IDEA?

post/name combo

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Soul Dentist posted:

I mean, three hundred years from now it might start to get nice

Right? 300 years isn't permanent so how can this be permaculture? Better make it 36 inches.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Woodpile posted:

...what is she going to do – grow orchids in-ground?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Hi thread. I accidentally planted about 20 acorns of a local oak and now i have 12 healthy saplings. I don't actually have any plans for them probably going to go plant them near where i found them and keep one for hom. I just wanted to see if i could make more oak trees. The acorns did most of the work, honestly.

https://imgur.com/gallery/zi8Ouo0 for commentary and pics.

I'm super into amateur botany but really haven't tried growing anything but weed/food.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
eighteen inches is way too many inches, right? like a ball pit of spiders and splinters.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I work at a tree breeding nursery that has automated greenhouses. Don't cheap out on software. Make sure you're able to open the house up in warmer months, as it's very hard to cool a closed greenhouse in summer. Consider getting shade cloth too. For watering, it depends on what you're growing, but in a greenhouse environment on pavement you want as focused as possible to curb algae growth, and invest in a good pressure washer too. poo poo will get nasty after a while. Heating wise you'll want to decide if you want under bench heating for propagation/seedlings or just a good heater for the entire space.

It all really depends on what you plan on growing. Keep in mind that the greater the diversity in what you're growing the more difficult it will be.

Anthurium mostly; mostly premontane species as well so from tropical wetland biome. Everything I will be growing will do fine in 65f-90f and 75% humidity. Pressure washer already on hand; costing and planning for appropriate fan, venting and evaporative cooler as well as natural gas heater in the winter (zone 7b). I think my main concern right now is humidity damage to the interior. Also considering leaving the siding on, as understory and forest floor species don't need as much light so just taking the roof off might be sufficient - but then I will need to properly moisture barrier the siding and figure out insulation.Thanks for the advice!

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I work at a tree breeding nursery

Can I ask you a question about something I've been wondering for a while? What type of growing medium do you use for the young plants? Is it significantly different to potting mix that is bought in bags?

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

It depends on what we're doing, but we have recipes for sowing, cuttings, potting, and plunging (taking small plugs and inserting them into larger cavities).
For young young plants we amend promix mycorrhizal mix with vermiculite, perlite, and fertilizer, both fast and slow release. 14-14-14 is our fuckit amendment if we're not sure what we're dealing with. For 1+ year old trees we use the potting mix, which is bark mulch amended with perlite and fertilizer. Ratios are trade secrets but if you know your soil you can probably guess.

It ends up being very different from your store brand potting mix, but mostly because we're trying to imitate and improve upon our native soil types (we breed for silvicultural purposes).

Bi-la kaifa fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 22, 2024

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Brilliant. ty.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Seeding moss for more moss pots

moss-growing tray

plugs in new pot

moss pot

I found a little sarracenia seedling in there this time. I hope it'll make it just so that I can figure out what species it is.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Woodpile posted:

Right? 300 years isn't permanent so how can this be permaculture? Better make it 36 inches.

Lord help this woman when she finds the pee fertilizer people (if she hasn't already)

Bi-la kaifa posted:

plunging (taking small plugs and inserting them into larger cavities).

rude

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Neeksy posted:

...what is she going to do – grow orchids in-ground?

Managed to get her to settle for 4 inches. Story of my life.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
check out this lil cutie. started poking up on Wednesday, I've never seen anything on a succulent grow so quickly

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
One of my haworthias sent up a flower stalk and after the flowers died a tiny haworthia started growing on the end of the stalk, just hangin' out in mid-air. Weirdest looking thing but apparently not super rare either.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Discussion Quorum posted:

Lord help this woman when she finds the pee fertilizer people (if she hasn't already)

My sons have declared one of our retaining walls in our backyard the "pee wall'

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Alterian posted:

My sons have declared one of our retaining walls in our backyard the "pee wall'

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

indigi posted:

check out this lil cutie. started poking up on Wednesday, I've never seen anything on a succulent grow so quickly

Very pretty!

I feel that succulents store a whole lot of energy just to pump out their flowers with great gusto.

Especially true of agaves. I have about eight that have shot out their flower stalks in the last few weeks. The size and growth rate of these are incredible.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Let me rephrase that. My oldest son designated the pee wall and when my youngest son was potty trained he taught him about the pee wall.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
A tale of two root systems.

The bare root pecan tree (a generous term for a barely-rooted cutting) I planted two years ago uh... did not take. Booted it out of a prime backyard spot for a yoshino cherry to match our okame cherry on the other side.

And then standing in stark contrast is this Japanese maple I got which was insanely root bound. I sliced the poo poo out of that rootball which hopefully lets her spread out a bit. She's going in what used to be a raised bed so hopefully the loamy garden soil will make things easier.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

This is exactly how the two trees in my front yard were planted by the previous owners 15 years ago and that's why I have a dying and a dead tree in my front yard, huzzah

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

skylined! posted:

This is exactly how the two trees in my front yard were planted by the previous owners 15 years ago and that's why I have a dying and a dead tree in my front yard, huzzah

Congrats on your decorative firewood.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Maybe that's what happened to our lovely pine, which went in about two years ago? and is now nearly entirely brown. :(

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Took a few steps further down the orchid rabbit hole:

A very pretty nice smelling cattelya hybrid and cymbidium heaven scent rainbow. Hopefully I can keep them happy!

Meanwhile in outdoor plant news my grevillea is finally producing a somewhat decent flower!

Before now basically all the little buds were falling off before they could develop, which I was worried was due to the wind up here but the internet tells me it's due to high temperatures. Sure enough, now that the weather has calmed down slightly I've got a basically okay looking one! I have high hopes for the two in that photo that are still in the bud stage.

Now someone just needs to remind the honeyeaters to check my balcony again for lunch. I have food for you now!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Hirayuki posted:

Maybe that's what happened to our lovely pine, which went in about two years ago? and is now nearly entirely brown. :(

If it's on the way out anyway, no harm in pulling it out to see if you can do a long-shot remediation. If it's still rootbound it'd probably be pretty easy to remove.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Organza Quiz posted:

Before now basically all the little buds were falling off before they could develop, which I was worried was due to the wind up here but the internet tells me it's due to high temperatures.

I had a potted grevillea that was going swimmingly until we had a week or so of very high temps and it died pretty quickly, despite me watering it frequently. I was devastated.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

huh posted:

I had a potted grevillea that was going swimmingly until we had a week or so of very high temps and it died pretty quickly, despite me watering it frequently. I was devastated.

Oh no! I only planted this one in December and it's doing great so far so hopefully it'll be fine for subsequent summers. It does get shade in the afternoon so maybe that helps.

What sort of temps are you talking? I wouldn't have thought grevilleas would be bothered by heat that much but I guess there must be varieties from colder parts of the country.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
You guys want a dirt bean update? I know it’s weird but it’s horticulture guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

bagmonkey posted:

You guys want a dirt bean update? I know it’s weird but it’s horticulture guys

:justpost: