Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Frost bitten crassula update: the damage is more extensive than I thought: some of the bigger stems went mushy. Still, I think I’ve removed all the worst bits and there’s signs of life here and there so all is not lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

I’m sort of expecting to lose over half the plant - the left trunk isn’t showing any growth yet. A lot has been removed from the right but it’s growing a bit

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Ok Comboomer posted:

Is it under a grow light? You could also get a cheap soil warming mat if you’re feeling extra worried and want to give the roots as much coddling as possible. No clue how much the latter would help in practice but slowly ramping up the former until it’s getting ~8hrs or more daily (probably best to stay relatively within the bounds of the season wrt sunlight hours) will really stimulate leaf growth

Yeah it's under a lamp now, though it wasn't for the first week. As for temperature, it's inside now and nice and warm.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Yoruichi posted:

Thank you for the advice :) I'm going to leave them in a sheltered spot for a week to let them dry out, and see what happens! If they look like they're getting sicker I'll try repotting them, and hopefully if they've got root rot or whatever it won't be too late :ohdear:

These things are tough as hell, basically the same as the thing I posted earlier in the thread that got waterlogged and frozen such that all it’s leaves fell off (or were removed), and some major stems turned to mush. I’ve kept it dry and given it light and now it’s coming back to life thanks to the advice from this thread.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

The frostbitten crassula is doing well, except for this bit which is growing some fungus. Should I cut more off? There’s growth there, which is why I’m apprehensive.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Wallet posted:

I was just thinking about this plant and wondering what happened to it yesterday. I'd try to gently clean that off with hydrogen peroxide (3%) or Dr. Bronner's and then try to make sure that spot stays nice and dry. The darker, moist looking area around the mold/fungus is a lot more worrying to me than the mold itself.

If that bit is getting mushy I would personally be tempted to cut it back further, despite the new growth, because with the size of that Crassula letting rot get into it is a much bigger risk to it than removing that bit of new growth.

The plant as a whole is doing great, loads of new growth all over; it’ll look great when it goes out for summer and starts growing like crazy.
I chopped a thin slice off the stem and there’s no deeper rot so I’ll see how this bit dries out.

And I’m 100% sure I’ll get a new plant from this; there’s already a root :cool:

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Wallet posted:

Now that I finished my shelves and I have somewhere to put them with appropriate light I've finally been picking up some of the succulents I've been wanting for a while. I always take pictures when I get in a new plant so I can keep track of how it's doing and this thread is light on pictures in the winter so here's some new arrivals. Some of them are looking a little disheveled from living in a dark box for longer than expected—USPS is really poo poo lately.

Thirsty Curio citriformus (with titty cactus cameo)

I know there were some Haworthia fans in here. I picked up this two-headed 'Fat Albert' to qualify for free shipping on another order and he showed up a lot more chonky than I was expecting.

A slightly disheveled Selcorebutia rauschii.

This Gymnocalycium stenopleurum had a bud on it but it broke off in shipping :(.

Aloinopsis schoonesii.

These Obregonia denegrii arrived impressively well rooted.

My phone's camera can just barely handle how small this Monanthes polyphylla is.

These weird looking goobers are Adromischus marianiae 'Herrei' f. green.

This is why I love succulents: some of those don’t look like plants at all

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

My cactus is enjoying my new house

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
What is this thing and how do I make it love me? I got it for about £1 from the super market about 8 months ago in quite a sorry state.
It’s currently in some very free draining soil that’s probably good for succulents and cacti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Ok Comboomer posted:

croton, cultivar “Mamey”.

They like being outside in the summer, inside in the fall and winter. Also they’re very sensitive to big negative shifts in environment and will commonly drop their leaves if upset, especially if underwatered or cold. Otherwise pretty easy to keep alive.

A plant that drops all its leaves will still likely survive and throw out new foliage if cared for, but usually at apexes, meaning that you can still ruin the look of a plant if you get it to drop its leaves (if they’ve been in the sun for a few weeks they’ll usually start to bud further back too, but only after the apexes have budded). Takes pruning decently well, which can be a solution to bare branches.

awesome thank! Yeah I'd noticed the underwatering signs, its leave droop pretty badly, then perk right up when watered