Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is this the gardening thread? I'm getting more in to it in my limited, urban capacity

i live on the first floor of a building and my back windows look out on the bottom of an air shaft that is like a roof over the basement level. Its ugly and i've been working on making it a "secret roof garden but at the bottom of a hole" and i'm finally all set up now.

View from the hole:

Just finished building and weatherproofing a second planter box to grow veggies this summer which will compliment the planter box i built last year for flowers. Tung oil is amazing poo poo, wood looks brand new still after a year in the weather. Lugging 24 cubic feet of soil out the window to fill these boxes is not fun tho!

Got the two planters arranged to sort of fence off our window view from the dreary roof and make the most of the morning sun's location which shines directly on out little corner for about 2-3 hours in the summer months coming up.

Cut back all my overgrown daffys that were past prime now that the tulips just started popping open. Mixed bulbs were a great start to the year. The planters are right outside my kids window and she is loving the blooms and activity.

Dunno what i'll do yet for summer but i got a few weeks before the garden center is going to get all the summer veggies and flowers in so i can think it over.
Probably a lot of easy bright vincas for the flower bed, herbs of course, and i'll maybe try some tomatos and hot peppers and lettuces and see how they do.

Anyway if this is the general gardening hobby thread im happy to have found it and if not, thanks for looking at my bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Just read the op. Sorry to have posted in the anti-gardening, succulent supremacy thread. I will post about my houseplants here later.
Mea culpa.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 17, 2023

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jhet posted:

People like flowers and veggies here too and there’s plenty of overlap in posters. Love those tulips in such a strange space for them. I bet it gets an unusual amount of sun and heat and rain too. Best thing you can do before buying starts is figure out how many hours of light you get there and then be okay if stuff doesn’t work out.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=502

Cool thanks! Its full sun from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm in the summer when the sun can get high enough to peak over the buildings.
It is warmer than outside the hole since its a roof and not the ground i suppose and its protected from a lot of weather

Yeah the garden is mainly for experimenting, giving my kid an appreciation for flowers and plants the way my mom and grandpa did for me, and i'm very ready to fail - its a SECRET garden after all so no one will know what mistakes i make!

Oh and i saw someone planting eastern redbuds on the last page. Theres some gorgeous ones in the park here i took a photo today

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 17, 2023

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Neeksy posted:

From the looks of it you have "leggy" plants rather than "overgrown" per se, usually it's a result of the plant trying to get to a better light source or maximizing area to capture what it can.

Well they might have been leggy but they were pretty spectacular a few weeks ago
Thanks for the tip on strawberries. That sounds perfect for my daughter to be in charge of planting and eating.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Posting my houseplant success story:

I got one of these common house shrubs delivered on xmas eve when it was below zero and the idiots let it get too cold and shocked the leaves really badly the gorgeous plant looked like this within hours of signing for it.

But over the last 4 months ive nursed it back to having fresh growth and am watching my second healthy leaf unroll

Close call!
Any advice for when to trim the half dead leaves? I figure if they still are green and rigid the plant is probably still using them but idk

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 17, 2023

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I found this sad thing in the garbage room of my building. Looks like a bulb sticking out of the pot.
What is it and does it have a shot at a second act?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They stems droop and then spring back up immediately with watering. Like leave the room and come back its different looking. Spooky

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hell yeah tulips ftw

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thats wining

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Found this cool creeping purple petunia for my garden boxes. Hopefully it grows like a skirt outside the boxes instead of choking my other plants in the box - thats the goal at least.

Untelated question: im drying my daffy and tulip bulbs now...do i trim the long roots off before storing or leave them?

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 2, 2023

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Blumat has ones that fit on a 2L bottle and supposedly work well

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Goosing the gooseberries

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Dew Worm, look at this writeup on fuchsias and see if your balcony might work. They're gloriously beautiful, they bloom all summer, and bees and butterflies love them. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/fuchsia/growing-fuchsia-flower.htm

I just got some and they are lovely

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

My mother bought two potted fuchsia from the cubscouts and they arrived and were too big for her so now i have them in an air conditioner cage i dont use. See how it goes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sir do not touch the o'keefe paintings. Sir!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

My garden is growing. Plants ftw.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tell him that once you put the tree safe coat on in black he can prime it and paint it any color he wants

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

That weird tuber/bulb thing i asked about a month ago is happy again now that its not stuck in a sad cup sized pot.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

And a very warm cyclaman to you to

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If a tomato vine grows higher than its support pole will it know to stop growing or do i need to do something before it doubles over like a dumb idiot?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tyvm! I asked the genocide garden thread and they ignored me to discuss illegal insecticides and anti-chipmunk traps/missile weapons

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

just snip the main stem off at a fork?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

No shade tho

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Do raised beds on top and you wont need to dig down

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dang

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chinese ivy is pretty cool how it adores being in the dark directly in front of the a/c for the 6 years ive had it

Outlived like 4 other ivies it was planted with in that gross temporary basket/plastic bag combo thing its in. Badass.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Got a blumat gravity loop to play with

Heres the tank and looped feeder line with a purge valve. The loop puts a lot more pressure on the water than a single line it seems like. Barely need any elevation and its shooting out of the purge when open

Heres the drip heads. I might buy a few more for better coverage and add them along the return line.

Its not too ugly from the window! Hope it works. Fun project!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Whys it on a chair? Teabagging a less fortunate trees corpse

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

My 3-4 months of direct sunlight on my outdoor space have ended again for the year sadly and my spring plantings are only hanging on still to be nice to me

What are some cool late summer/fall species for zone 7 that dont mind getting strictly indirect light?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is caladium a good choice too?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Got some ornamental cabbages for the roof garden this fall now that the sun doesnt make it passed the buildings anymore til spring.

Osaka white and osaka red.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks! they are the top result cheap pine ones from amazon but i heavily reinforced them with brackets and triple coated them with tung oil to make them last.
Im still working out my rotation for the year cause direct light is scarce and seasonal at the bottom of a 14 story airshaft.
Hopefully the cabbages do well in their dank new home.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I have a little aerogarden kit and its like the basil zone where the basil roots take over the whole water container and kill everything else and eventually itself ftw. Good slow motion 4x simulator irl.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

My friend has this weird plant that they said you can cut a leaf off and it will grow into a new plant. I took one leaf from her and planted it like this 3 weeks ago. It hasnt done anything yet but also it doesnt look like its dying or anything so idk whats up. Am i doing good?

Also my african violet is poppin off which makes me feel less weird for keeping a jar of old egg shells and water under the sink to water it with.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

kid sinister posted:

I'm about 80% sure that is a snake plant. Those things are bulletproof.

It only looks like one cause its one leaf. This plant is like a network of viny shoots once grown up

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They probably make like fun bug based treats for plant pet owners right?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

That leaf cutting my friend gave me 3 months ago has finally made the shoot i was told it would make

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

skylined! posted:

Epiphyllum pumilum or oxypetalum?

I think its red when it blooms he said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Woke up this morning to some of my freshly sprouting bulbs out in the roof planter all dug up and strewn about.

They are on a roof in a box covered in 6 inches of dirt so im thinking it was either a cat, a rat, a racoon, or a bird, or like the heavy rain last night liquifying the dirt and making the bulbs float?

:iiam:

Also someone is giving me a chinese evergreen and said it can just sit in windowless room all day np is that correct?
I got a chinese ivy thats been cool with no light and an a/c blowing on it for years already.
Are these plants actually from china or is chinese like a weird plant nursery term for 'perfect for office lighting conditions'