Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I wish to plant a tree in my yard. How the heck do I figure out my options are that are appropriate for my hardiness zone and soil conditions?

Ideally I’d love some kind of reference that can tell me about hardiness, soil pest and fertilizer needs, and so on at once. Maybe I’m not using the right google magic words but mostly all I get are arborist pages that only talk about oak and maple, or nursery pages that don’t have much of a systematic search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

One of the best ways, especially if you are any good at IDing trees, is to look around your neighborhood and see what grows well.

Most of the neighborhood trees here are oak or maple species, planetree, and the odd smaller ornamentals and conifers, with black walnut, and mulberry in some older neighborhoods. being adjacent to the Appalachians besides those beech, cottonwood, black cherry, tulip poplar, pawpaw, magnolia, and hickory are around.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll definitely see what the ag extension has going on.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 21, 2023

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What do you want the tree to accomplish?

I go back and forth on this. This part of the yard had a 60-ish year old maple that shaded much of the house from morning sun. That would be nice to have again but that seems like landscaping for the next person to live here, and in the case of the maple it was a multi fold safety hazard once it became clear it was compromised: in this neighborhood a tall tree would do a lot of damage no matter which way it fell.

If I don’t get shade I’d like to have produce. Pawpaw would be really cool but I gather they need canopy shade.

Broadly, conditions are full sun, border of 6a-6b, soil is clay heavy and rocky, unsure of pH.

Eeyo posted:

The Morton Arboretum has searchable info on lots of tree (and shrub/plant) species. They're based in Chicago but grow quite a lot of trees not native to Chicago (they have a large collection of magnolias for example). You can apply filters like tolerances, soil conditions, height, etc.

https://mortonarb.org/plant-and-protect/trees-and-plants/

This is awesome ty

the yeti fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 22, 2023

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Arsenic Lupin posted:

add "height at maturity"

Yeah, I grew up in a yard with a bunch of red oaks pushing a century. In my lifetime 3 fell, 2 of which did varying damage to the house (and one of which flattened my childhood swing set :sigh:)

Houses here are even closer together, the only reason I have any yard for a tree is at some point a house came down and the lot was split between mine and the neighbor’s lots.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I could maybe fit two individuals of whatever as long as they’re in the sub 20’ range (guessing)

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Bradford pear sucks rear end ain’t no way I’m planting that.

Im familiar with some of the nuances of pollination but the genetically distinct condition is a new one for me, thanks :)

Discussion Quorum posted:

I just do figs.

You wanna talk at me about cold hardy fig, that’s on my list too. I grew up with a big one in the yard down south and miss fresh figs real bad. Been meaning to get something from the guy over at Trees of Joy but haven’t gotten to it yet.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 23, 2023

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Discussion Quorum posted:

How cold we talking? I don't recall seeing your USDA zone. Chicago Hardy is the standard answer and they are easy to find. Trees of Joy has a zillion choices but it's not a bad idea to start with something common. You won't feel a ton of pressure to not gently caress it up - although short of overwatering to the point of root rot it's pretty hard to irreversibly gently caress up a fig tree.

I live somewhere with the opposite problem, so I am much more concerned with a fig's health at 105F than 5F. If you want a massive download of fig information, Ross Raddi is both a decent source of info (I think he lives in Zone 6) and a cautionary example of what happens when you become a Fig Person (nothing wrong with that if you want 100 fig trees in your yard, mind you). Figs are like tribbles. 5 pruned branches is 5 new trees (or 5 cuttings you can trade... for 5 new trees). It can get out of control.

https://www.figboss.com/post/a-hardy-fig-tree-starts-with-the-variety

Figs also do great in containers - mine are in 5G food safe buckets - so moving them into a warm garage is also an option for a big cold snap.

6a-6b (right on a border area), and yeah, the one I grew up with was more like a thicket of suckers than one big tree, it's thrived on neglect under a big oak tree for 40some years now ,in 7b mind you.

I didn't realize they took to containers, it's been a while since I read up on them but I had the impression it was tricky. That would make wintering them easier though for sure.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 23, 2023

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

That’s interesting, I would have guessed cultivars from different suppliers would be somewhat genetically distinct but I guess there’s no reason for that to be the case is there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I wanna plant some persimmons in the yard this spring. From what I can tell they do not favor the clay and gravel poo poo in my yard (basically fill from the basement dig) but I’m unclear on if or how much I need to dig out to amend soil so they’ll get going.

My dad said last time he looked into it the suggestion was just put em in the ground, but he was also dealing with hardy landscaping cypress.