Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hey plant goons, I have a question: I noticed last night that my jade plant seems to be bending over. I watered it on Sunday and it was fine, and now most of it is bent down and I can't figure out why. I don't think it's got rot or anything because everything feels nice and firm, not soft or mushy, and I let it dry out completely between waterings. Conversely, I don't think it's under-watered because everything is still plump. If it had become too heavy surely only the heavy parts would have bent, right? The weird thing is that it's all bent in one direction, the entire plant.

I'm trying to add a photo but the app seems to be being a bit of a dingle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Oil of Paris posted:

What kind of sun do you have it in?

Western exposure, probably not as much as it would want in nature, but it's been there for seven years and hasn't had any problems till now Usually I bring it outdoors come summer and it goes nuts. The weird part is that it all bent in the same direction.

Edit: I give it about a quarter turn each week to prevent this very thing, and the direction it's leaning now is away from the window.

Mad Hamish fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 27, 2021

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Wallet posted:

Hard to say what it's up to—they will start to droop like that if they don't get enough water (or if they get too much water). Have you repotted it recently? For its size that doesn't look like very much pot.

I haven't repotted it recently. I'm not sure if that would help, it really does look like it slumped from its own weight somehow. The weird part is that smaller branches also did that and that it's all in the same direction. I just hope I can fix it somehow so it doesn't stay this way. I don't have the space for a trailing jade.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Does anyone have any suggestions for a....decoy plant or.....something that I can put in my garden that will be more attractive to leaf-cutter bees than my rosebush? The one I had in this spot last year got badly defoliated by them and didn't survive the winter, so I replaced it and they're going after the new one. It's just the one rose, too, the other rose like two feet away is of no interest to them at all, apparently.

I don't want to spray or anything because I don't want to hurt the bees, but I'd rather they go after a plant that's not my roses, you know? Any suggestions for something that might be more attractive to them? I'm in southern Ontario if that's of any importance.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

In my experience anything with grass-like leaves is a kitty magnet so maybe not then ponytail palm.

Zamioculcas, maybe? A jade plant?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Hey plant folks, I just discovered mold or mildew or something on the soil of my Monstera and one of my snake plants. How do I deal with this in a way that will keep my plants happy?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

A week or so ago I popped in to ask how to deal with mildew on a houseplant's potting soil and was told to set it outside in the sun for a few days. That cleared it right up! Thanks!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I used to really hate hostas but two years ago something about them just clicked and now I'm a fan. My aunt is nuts for them and I'm hoping I can get a division of one of her really big ones to put in my rather shady front yard.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Oh yeah you gotta have ones that actually do something sort of interesting and aren't just boring big green leaves. You need some texture or variegation or something. I will say that hosta flowers are lovely, though.

I started a new job recently and my office has a big east-facing window that I hung a string of pearls plant in. I've had it here for about two weeks now and it's been putting out lots of new growth, so hopefully it'll be nice and happy here. Other houseplant enthusiast friends tell me that string of pearls will do nicely for a bit before they just up and die, but I'm hoping I can keep this one going. I could probably find a place for one or two other plants here in my office but I'm going to give it a little bit of time and pass my probation period before I go really crazy.

There's a good-sized waiting room here that can use some greenery and I'm trying to figure out what I want to bring in. It has two big windows but it's a northern exposure so it'll have to be something that's shade-tolerant. There's a pretty big schefflera actinophylla that's been here for ages and is quite happy but I want to hang something in one of the windows (A tradescantia? A pothos?) and maybe put another largeish plant in the other corner. I'm sort of thinking that this is a good chance to have something I don't already have that I can't get away with at home.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Neeksy posted:

I quite like the fragrant hostas like Mojito or Guacamole, the scent is sweetly floral like a moonflower (ipomoea alba).

I've got a Guacamole out front and it does indeed smell pretty nice when in flower. It seems to be a bit slower to start than some of my others, one of which has already put out two leaves while its friends are still just pointy little shoots sticking out of the dirt.

My front yard is pretty shady (got a big chestnut tree and also a spruce) so I'm glad there's something that will be at least sort of interesting I can put out there. I've got a clump of Solomon's seal getting established and I want to get one or two bleeding hearts out there as well this year, I think. Very basic, I know.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

ScamWhaleHolyGrail posted:

Heuchera, my beloved. I've been wanting to do a long line of them between my house and my neighbors house where it's super shaded but haven't been able to find anywhere in stock before right now.

I've tried them and they always die :smith:

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

My apple tree is blooming! Yes, I know, it's far too big and it haven't been pruned in decades, but good God that flower display is wonderful and there's bees going absolutely nuts up there right now.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Glorious. That's a beautiful tree. Frankly, a mature apple produces far more apples than one household will eat, even accounting for freezing lots of applesauce, and a lot of the purpose of pruning is to maximize fruit.

Oh, well, it does produce loads and loads of small, lumpy apples, because we can't spray the drat thing due to its location and size, nor can we try and prune it to only having one apple per spur. We did gather a shitload of the apples at one point and carefully sliced them up in case there were friends inside and made an apple crumble and it was Not Great. I have no idea what kind of apples they are, but squirrels go nuts for them in the fall and I'm very ok with it feeding wildlife instead of people. Given a choice I might rather have a bosc pear because they don't seem to need a lot of care to give edible fruit, but this tree was here when my landlady bought the house and it'll be here when she kicks the bucket and leaves it to me and I'm very on board with there being a massive apple tree of unknown provenance. I don't know how long they live for but I'm not going to have to worry about replacing it for a very long time.

I think it might be taller than the house.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Also, I repotted my zamioculcas and discovered it was practically trying to haul itself out of the pot it was in. Someone once told me these things are slow-growing and what a load of poo poo that was.

Got a new bleeding heart for out front and also a new hosta (Dream Queen) for the back yard. I saw one called Big Daddy at the store and I might see if they still have it the next time I'm there. I could find space for a chomky boi.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Do not, under, any circumstances, awoo.

Good Lord that is one robust and full-bodied hosta.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

So there's this guy down the street from me who had tables set up in his driveway selling a shitload of hostas he's grown himself. Nice plants, several crowns per pot, decent price, so I walked away with two, a Drinking Gourd and some smaller one whose name I forget that should have large white flowers.

The day before I got two at the garden centre, a Regal Splendour and a Frances Williams, so I'm definitely going to be filling in some of thr empty spots in my back yard.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Has anyone here who has peonies ever had something happen where the sap that covers the flower buds gets all thick and hard and dry? I've never seen this happen before. I'm wondering if the unnatural heat wave we've been having here in southern Ontario is somehow to blame.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I managed to get a photo of my weird peony resin situation.

Some of the flowers seem a bit misshapen as well. I've never seen this happen before, and tbh it's a little gross since it looks like dried snot and all. The plants themselves seem to be perfectly happy and are pumping out shitloads of flowers. I have no idea what kind of peony it is, but they came from my grandmother's house so they're fairly special to me. And they smell lovely.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Lakitu7 posted:

My guess is "guttation", when plants excrete stuff they don't need. At least one result suggests this is common from peony flowers.
https://bayweekly.com/old-site/year08/issuexvi20/gardenerxvi20.html

The other idea would be "honeydew" left from pests. Hopefully you have ruled that out.

Since it's only on the buds I do have a sneaky feeling that the water/nectar/whatever that attracts ants has probably just dried up - it hasn't rained here for four weeks. The only bugs I've seen on them is the regular ants, no aphids or anything. The crusty bits don't seem to be interfering with the buds actually opening and since there's been very little water I can see how that would mess with bud formation.

I had no idea guttation could happen on something that's not houseplant leaves - I've only ever seen it on my monstera and sometimes my pothos.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I have some poppy seeds that look like they're just sprouting. We'll see what they do, I suppose.

Right now I'm looking at photos of some very nice yellow peonies and thinking of where I could put some in my front yard. I worry that tree peonies will be a little too delicate for the conditions I operate in but it looks like herbaceous varieties exist now?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Managed to find an Empress Wu hosta at the Home Depot. Aw yeah.

Also got a coreopsis, another bleeding heart, and a red variety of black-eyed susan.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

If possible you could also put the plant outside in sunlight and fresh air, which helped a lot when I saw that happening with my monstera. A few days did the trick.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

My guacamole hosta is flowering right now and the flowers actually smell pretty nice!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Yesterday the GF and I went to do some berry-picking and they also had a spectacular hosta garden. I didn't pick anything up because they were pretty pricey but I did try to take a picture of one of their planting areas.

I really wanted to see if they had an Empress Wu in situ so I could see how mine will look in a few years, but the biggest one I saw with a tag was Sum and Substance which is also a pretty chomky boi.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

In my experience they'll be ok in water for a while, and that's how I've had good success rooting pups, but you do want to put them in some dirt eventually.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Oh yeah, like, all the pothos cuttings or whatever will all be genetically identical to the original plant they were cut from (unless there's some kind of neat mutation I guess, which is where we get fun cultivars from, right?). So we pretty much all have the same pothos plant, just different pieces of it.

IIRC pothos doesn't even form flowers unless it's dosed with some hormone it's incapable of producing itself, so it's got pretty much no genetic diversity at all.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Well, uh, what are you doing with it? What's its watering schedule like?

I've got a phal on my desk at work right now that gets diffuse light from a large eastern window and I give it a bath each week where I fill the pot with water and let it sit for a few hours, then lift the inner pot and dump the water. This has been my phal routine for quite some time and none of them have died (I have 3 total) but I haven't had much success in getting them to flower which is, I believe, a light/temperature thing?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Being in front of that vent may not be doing it any favours, either.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Well, in their natural environment things like phalaenopsis and other houseplant orchids are epiphytes, which means they grow on other plants. Phalaenopsis will grow in pockets of detritus on the limbs of trees, which would be things like fallen leaves, twigs, bits of bark, moss, that sort of thing. I doubt it would cause any trouble for your orchid but I'm wondering how it would manage to photosynthesize in an orchid pot.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Looking forward to empress wu posts. She’s a beaut.

I put one in last year and it's too early for hostas to be visible where I am but I am eagerly waiting to see just how big of a botanical mistake I have made (huge, I hope).

I hope the weird hosta guy down the street is selling again this year because I want to put a Sum and Substance out front.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

bagmonkey posted:

First year you’re like alright this won’t be so bad! The next year you’re like hmmm potentially a problem? Third year she gets her own bed and your endless love and affection

I mean

I put it in a very large and very empty spot under the curly willows in the back yard that used to be a woodpile and is still pretty barren like 5 years later, I'm hoping I gave it enough space but I'm also sort of hoping I am horrified at What I Have Done.

One of my hostas (something free and boring, Patriot, perhaps?) got smooshed by inquisitive raccoons last year and I am hoping the Empress Wu is too belligerent and numerous for such interference.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Well I was wrong - I just got home and took a look to see what was going on and there are in fact some little shoots starting to come out by the Empress Wu's marker.

Should I be afraid?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I'd also wonder what kind of money tree. I would assume something like Pachira aquatica but it sounds like another guy a few posts up thinks of Crassula ovata (Jade plant). Common names for plants can be very confusing! Either way I think you'd be ok potting it up into the terra-cottage pot. If it's growing and happy then you're probably doing something right.

If it is a jade plant then a grittier, sander potting mix would be good but tbh all of my jade plants have been in regular potting mix and they've been more or less ok.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Hmmmmm well a few hostas I put in last year haven't poked up yet but the season is still young.

I see four shoots on the Empress Wu so far and am getting excited!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I think in a few weeks the weird hosta guy down the street is going to start selling offshoots again, which I am looking forward to, but I may have to look further afield to track down a Sum and Substance. My aunt has one and it's monstrous. Empress Wu is holding out at four shoots, which is two more than it had last year when I planted it, so we'll see what happens. Some of my others haven't come up yet but I put them in last year and don't know what to expect from them in terms of early vs. late growth.

It crossed my mind today that for a while hostas were named after some German botanist whose name was Funke and were called funkia instead of hosta and that seems very silly!

In non-hosta plant news, the deadly nigjtshade a friend gave me appears to have survived the winter, which absolutely delights me as I believe it's a bit of a chancy prospect in this climate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

It looks so unhealthy even though I know it's not.