Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I love my Okatsune pruning shears. Definitely worth the extra cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Speleothing posted:

We bought a house and the yard is lined with Ailanthus altissima.

I want it dead and gone so we can plant native species that will actually block the view of the utility substation next door.

How do I kill it permanently?

Lots of herbicide, a good chainsaw, and weeding until the end of time. I had a boss that used to drill into the trunk and fill the hole with killx, but I don't think that's any more effective than topical applications.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Hirayuki posted:

Is it feasible to grow one of these beautiful vines on a container trellis in 6a? I'd be happy to bring it in at the end of the season.

As a kid I remember having a passionflower that came back year after year in zone 6a. We had it in a big pot and cut it back every fall. We stored the stems and root ball in the green house over winter. The year we tried to leave it outside it died, so don't do that.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

You better feed that thing something before it sniffs you out

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I recently discovered that there's an insane amount of work and skill that went into maintaining those feild boundaries:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoprVhpOKIk

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I'm not sure I'd trade my back deck for a front porch, but I'd think about it. Maybe if my house was in a walk friendly area and it was east facing to catch the morning rays but be nice and cool in the evenings. You could border it with some hydrangeas or rhodos and make it real nice. I've seen too many good porches be wasted because of how hot they can get in an afternoon sun.

Bi-la kaifa fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 30, 2021

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Fortaleza posted:

Noticed two weeks ago some of the plums were getting white spots and now they mostly look like this:

:cry:

I’m guessing it’s a fungal infection and I’ve procured some fungicide and a sprayer, but am I too late? Will that sweet sweet brandy touch no lips this year??

I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Lots of fruits produce their own wax coating that looks like a white film. You can just wipe it off and it shines it up.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Oh yeah, that looks gross close up. I concur with what's above me. A couple of them have that banana shape going on

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Dogwoods. So hot right now. I see them all the time in newer developments. Maybe because they're magnolia-ish but way less messy.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

That's the sphagnum moss everyone keep talking about. Everything looks healthy, you could probably wait until after the flowers fall off to repot.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

All the new growth on my rhododendrons have gone brown and crispy from the heat. They were finally doing well after getting some irrigation set up and a good mulch. So frustrating to have it all taken back now. I feel like that horticulture in a nutshell though.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Run a mainline across the front of the plot with valves at each row, then run drip line the length of each row with an emitter at the base of each tree. Emitter will depend on the watering requirements for hazelnut. We just finished setting up a big plot of white pine with this exact setup and it works great.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Tell us more about the site! Are you planning on using rainwater, a local source, or are you trucking in water? Setup would depend on the source but you're probably going to want to rely on gravity, and that won't change much in the way you configure the irrigation itself, just where you put the source, how you're collecting, etc. That being said it worries me that you want a 100% success rate when you're trying to run it remotely in the boonies. You could probably go hogwild and setup wireless moisture meters and an Argus system to monitor it all but that's gonna cost what a half acre would 1000 miles closer.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

For the emitters, I think there's a limit on what they can handle, so the best way to avoid that is to put a limiter where you go from 3/4 to 1/2. For the difference after that I'm not sure... My gut says as long as it stays below 25psi and above 15 the difference will be negligible. If you put a 15psi limiter at the top and somehow it's more than 25 psi at the bottom you'll have to splice another limiter halfway or something creative.

For controls you just need to ask yourself how comfortable you are with leaving it and trusting whatever power source you figure out. Wifi has the added benefit of piece of mind that it's still working when you're not there, but in terms of price you get what you pay for. I've never heard of a full year timer like the one you described. What you might want to look into is a moisture meter or rain sensor, hydrometer whatever. Something that can tell the valves to open during the 5 months of drought we get every year now, instead of a guess with a date and time.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Not really. You can get a meter to screw in at the end of a 3/4 line. When you're out there bring extra hose and run it down the hill to test. Field work is never as perfect as at home calculations anyways

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

At work we use 3% for eradicating seedborn pathogens, but if there's any kind of radicle we use .6%, or a 1:5 dilution of the 3%. Might apply to a full-grown root structure :shrug:

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Do the twigs have three flat sides?

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Forestry grit is a thing, though probably harder to find. You could probably purchase some off a tree seedling nursery if you have one nearby.

Detergent would be fine to use, just rinse really well.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I work at a tree breeding nursery that has automated greenhouses. Don't cheap out on software. Make sure you're able to open the house up in warmer months, as it's very hard to cool a closed greenhouse in summer. Consider getting shade cloth too. For watering, it depends on what you're growing, but in a greenhouse environment on pavement you want as focused as possible to curb algae growth, and invest in a good pressure washer too. poo poo will get nasty after a while. Heating wise you'll want to decide if you want under bench heating for propagation/seedlings or just a good heater for the entire space.

It all really depends on what you plan on growing. Keep in mind that the greater the diversity in what you're growing the more difficult it will be.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

It depends on what we're doing, but we have recipes for sowing, cuttings, potting, and plunging (taking small plugs and inserting them into larger cavities).
For young young plants we amend promix mycorrhizal mix with vermiculite, perlite, and fertilizer, both fast and slow release. 14-14-14 is our fuckit amendment if we're not sure what we're dealing with. For 1+ year old trees we use the potting mix, which is bark mulch amended with perlite and fertilizer. Ratios are trade secrets but if you know your soil you can probably guess.

It ends up being very different from your store brand potting mix, but mostly because we're trying to imitate and improve upon our native soil types (we breed for silvicultural purposes).

Bi-la kaifa fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Does it look malnourished so the deer will overlook it as a source of nutrients?