Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
How much of a pain is it to start English Lavender from seeds?
The package makes it sound pretty simple, but other resources make it sound like I need to keep them cold for a few weeks (not happening), or just state "Lavender isn’t easy to grow from seed".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

RickRogers posted:

Lavender is perfectly happy with seeding itself all over the place, even thhrough gravel/mineral mulch, so I imagine follow the packet instructions and you are good to go.

Cool, Lavender is one of the plants I've had trouble with (I think it doesn't like how wet Florida is), so it's good to know I can start again from seed without too much trouble.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
Lol, good to know I'm not just that incompetent.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
I have a bunch of yard plants that may need to become houseplants in the next few months. Things I would want to keep include: Hibiscuses, Roses (double knock out if it matters), and a bunch of herbs (basil, oregano, rosemary). All of these are pretty small (nothing more than two feet tall), and they're already living on containers. How reasonable would it be to keep these inside? How much lighting am I going to need for them? What other things am I probably going to do wrong?

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Roses typically go dormant so they probably won’t like being indoors all the time.

Well in that case I guess they won't like being outdoors either :v: Florida doesn't have much of a cold season.

Wallet posted:

If they're already in containers you can probably do this, just be careful about watering (with less light they will need less water). I think you may have difficulty giving the roses enough light to keep them happy unless you have somewhere intensely sunny to put them. Hibiscus does fine even in shade IIRC but they won't flower if they don't get enough light.

I think I can work with that. I should be able to find sort of balcony or somewhere outside to put my two rose bushes wherever I end up moving. It's reassuring that I have a lot of space between not flowering and dying with the hibiscuses.

Thanks for the input