Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Here’s a link to the old/previous thread for posterity: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543738

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have a few Govee monitors that that monitor, display, and log temperature and humidity. I can connect to them via Bluetooth and get a graph or a file for importing into whatever.

They cost about ten bucks.

This model, H5075, takes AA cells and hasn’t given me any trouble.

There are wifi versions, but they cost four times as much and I don’t want them on my network anyway.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RickRogers posted:

I always assume there is a little microclimate direct by the window, due to the tendency of water droplets to gather on cold glass at night and evaporate during the day.

It’s not necessarily that the area is any more humid than the open areas of the house. It’s just that the glass is cold. If its surface drops below the dew point, dew will form on it.

This could happen if, say, the air in your home is at forty percent humidity and twenty‐two Celsius and the glass cools to eight degrees.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RickRogers posted:

Yes I get that, what I mean is our (closed) cold window is a collection point for water droplets at night so in theory the air directly by the window should be moister, as they evaporate over the day?

O.K. there’s some of that going on, but I think you’ll find that it diffuses into the room air quickly, and there just isn’t enough moisture to go around.

If you’ve ever used commercial humidifier, they empty their tanks fast, and they hold a lot more water than you could squeegee off a window.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Enclosing the plants is really the way to go because it takes a lot of water to moisten the air in the whole living space, and now you have a bunch of moist air in your living space and it’s dank and you’re getting condensation in the walls and it’s causing problems.

You don’t even need to do anything special once you enclose them. They’ll generate humidity on their own as they take liquid water in at the roots and let vapour out at the leaves.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was gifted a Dioscorea elephantipes.

Caudex size is maybe twenty‐five millimetres. It has very new growth.

Anyone have care tips? My major options are to put it on a windowsill or keep it in warm, relatively humid greenhouse.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Maybe you could limit the dog to a run that’s free of the perilous plant.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Roses typically go dormant so they probably won’t like being indoors all the time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The light they put out is fundamentally similar, but sometimes shop lights are just impractical. Horticultural lamps put out a lot more light for a fixture of the same size, and they tend to be more power efficient because they’re on so much of the day, every day.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
JB, 1 is a Ligustrum.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ragtime All The Time posted:

Not sure of the species but am assuming it is a common juniper which I think is indigenous to the area but has been in decline over the past few hundred years.

The world’s most widespread woody plant is never a bad guess.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wallet posted:

I'm idly curious about what the gently caress it is because even for a thistle it's loving out there, but I suppose I should just yank the hell thistle out before it opens a portal to an alternate dimension where the landscape is a sea of thorns and pubic trichomes in the middle of my garden.

I have a thistle that’s only slightly less eldritch and it’s still there because I can’t be bothered to put on the glove and yank it out.

I’ll get around to it before it sets seed. :effort:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nosre posted:

poo poo, anyone ID this? Looks some like fungus or disease on one of my lemons

It’s possible it’s something like Botryosphaeria infection, but I think it’s just sunburn.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t hate wisteria (yet), but if I had a healthy mature vine, I would get rid of the younger shoot because there are several vines I would rather have.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Passionfruit is one of the ones I was thinking of, yeah. I like the flowers and foliage better than wisteria’s, and the fruit is nice. It can rival wisteria in aggression. It doesn’t smell like much, though.

Maypop (Passiflora incarnata) can take significant cold. The fruit is good but distinct from the more common, tropical P. edulis. They are dioecious, so you need a mail and female to get fruit. In the Bay Area, you might as well grow P. edulis for year‐round greenery and self‐fertility.

I saw Akebia quinata or ‘chocolate vine’ in the nursery the other day and I want one. I hear they’re locally invasive, but again, if wisteria is the benchmark here, that’s not a problem.

Chinese gooseberries, very successfully marketed by New Zealand as ‘kiwifruit’, is another edible option. Actinidia deliciosa is the commercial species. A. arguta is known as ‘hardy kiwi’ and has grape‐size fruit. Both are dioecious.

This last one I don’t see as a competitor to the others, but I want to give a shoutout to Apios americana as an underrated edible vine with nice flowers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hmm that does look more worrying.

Could it be leprosis?

There’s another gallery of affected plant material here.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If anyone is getting Apios americana, get an LSU variety. Louisiana State University had a program to breed the things to produce larger tubers. Funding was cut, but not before progress had been made.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I like pruning.

It means my plant is growing, and now I get to direct its development.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Maintaining grass in shade is one thing. It’s establishing it that’s the challenge.

There’s a landscaping thread in this forum that has a lot of experienced people in it, if you haven’t already asked there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1381539861782405127

smh at Florida just giving up on this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Today I learned that London sports a rather large avocado tree.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Now I want McMansion Hell, but for landscapes.

Kate does roast people for their landscape sins, but it’s not the focus.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Porches… they’re situational.

It depends on the climate, the locale, the lot.

Nowadays, we’re building more houses that should have porches that don’t than vice versa, but I’ve seen deadbeat porches, too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Araucaria heterophylla, the Norfolk Island pine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Taphrina pruni causing plum pocket disease?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ash?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Someone on Reddit has a fasciated pineapple that’s pretty neat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Failing to list the type is endemic to the industry. I think people just don’t care. Look at all the houseplants sold only as “houseplant” or “rear end. foliage”.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sometimes the pot has a sticker with information that isn’t on the hanging tag.

This is something that probably everyone in this thread already knows, but I’ve seen people surprised by it elsewhere.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
:nice:

Citrus trees are more resilient than people give them credit for.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
IANAA, but I think that tree can be saved.

If it were my tree, I would remove the girdling root(s) and prune the dead wood out of the canopy. Cut branches back to live wood so the tree can heal over.

Inarch grafting can be used to save even severely girdled trees. I don’t know that it’s necessary here, but if we are continuing the narrative framing of “if it were my tree”, I’d do it because it’s good practice and may help.

Maybe you could ask the arborist if they can inarch graft to save your tree. I’m sure it’s not a question they’ve gotten from a homeowner before, but I would like to think they’ve done it when the situation called for it.

https://youtu.be/_rk5elRwBNY

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Is this the right thread to ask about intentionally killing plants?

I think it’s more in the landscaping thread’s bailiwick.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They’re dogwoods, maybe Cornus florida but don’t quote me on the species.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We need to have class solidarity with nonmycorrhizal plants.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Someone on Reddit found a fasciated Berberis thunbergii.

Normal growth looks like this:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah but it’s a greenhouse, and its glazing should block a good portion of UV.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

Someone on Reddit has a fasciated pineapple that’s pretty neat.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gardening/comments/nq6ank/fascinated_pineapple_is_ripe_last_update/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Most wasps leave me alone, pollinate plants, and keep worse critters down.

Look at this magnificent beast (Tachypompilus unicolor) taking time out of its busy schedule of spider murder to pollinate the jujubes. :blessed: (not my photo)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Perlite is an S‐tier medium. It’s cheap, it’s light, it has internal channels for air/water/root penetration, and it doesn’t degrade.

Pair it with something that retains lots of water because that’s the thing perlite doesn’t do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I want a Florida jujube.

Floridaman drat near killed them all. They’re reportedly tasteless, sadly.

Interesting links: 1, 2, 3