Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

RickRogers posted:

Posting my Turkish poppies, that refused to die despite the house owner excavating out this bed by about 2 feet.

Good stuff. My glads starting blooming today. One is almost 6 feet tall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Customer wants me to spread 18" of wood chip mulch over her entire 1/2 acre yard. Apparently this is permaculture. GOOD IDEA OR GREATEST IDEA?

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Soul Dentist posted:

I mean, three hundred years from now it might start to get nice

Right? 300 years isn't permanent so how can this be permaculture? Better make it 36 inches.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Neeksy posted:

...what is she going to do – grow orchids in-ground?

Managed to get her to settle for 4 inches. Story of my life.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Discussion Quorum posted:

Lord help this woman when she finds the pee fertilizer people (if she hasn't already)

Shut your mouth. Anyway, in a couple of days permaculture lady is in my rear view. Thanks, thread, for letting me vent a bit.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Beardcrumb posted:

Simply put, permaculture is a design approach for sustainable living and gardening, integrating principles from ecology, agriculture, and design. It aims to create harmonious relationships between humans and nature, emphasizing principles like observation, diversity, and minimal waste. Permaculture systems strive to mimic natural ecosystems, promoting resilience, biodiversity, and self-sufficiency.

Need to come up with a name for the kooks. Borkiculture or something. I only know a little about permaculture and I even knew she was heading for disaster. Beyond the carbon/nitrogen imbalance, so much raw wood chips fucks with the microorganisms. She had been neglecting her property for at least a year and a half (no mowing, trimming, occasional hand waving at the weeds) in the name of permaculture. Anyway, she had fired her last guy due to " lack of communication". Probably because he told her not to put 18" of chips in her ditch. Over the culvert. Water meter. I am currently fixing all that poo poo. I have many stories about this one.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Yes. Its a shade garden at the bottom of an airshaft between buildings.
2-3 hours of morning sun in summer.
I usually put impatiens and creeping petunia vines after the bulbs and we did fall/winter cabbages this past year too.

Its just a cheap way to make a weird ugly roof/escape route outside my window look good.

Small startup cost and low seasonal budgets but it makes a big difference

When my bulbs' foliage starts to yellow, I cut it to the ground and let the buttercups and native geraniums take over yeeting everything else because gently caress clover and gently caress the bees. By the time those guys are done the melons and/or pumpkins I sowed are about to take over.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
A permaculture nutter I'm working for planted a bunch of new creeping phlox on 18" of wood chips. Didn't want to disturb the soil (no till 4evah). So, uh, you gonna water those?

Wood chips hold moisture!

Two weeks. Dead already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Discussion Quorum posted:

I thought you talked her down to 4 inches. Or did she push them all into a pile to make up 18 inches?

Oh, no. The first yard guy did that. She fired him for reasons. I've had to say, "I swear to God it was the other guy" to city workers at least twice. There was a flooding issue, you see.