Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Wallet posted:

The danger when you put them in a warm place with no sun is that they're going to want to rot if there's any moisture. You probably don't want to leave them in the pots—people usually dig them up, dry them out, and then put them in bags.

Even in zone 8 my neighbor covers his dahlia beds to keep the bulbs from being oversaturated in the winter when we get constant rain. No worry about the freeze for us, but sitting in water all winter will make them decompose.

If you have wood plane shavings or larger wood chips I've used that the last couple years with bulbs that I've had to dig out to keep the moisture away and keep plenty of airflow and that worked really well too. They were just closed up loosely in a cardboard box. Paper bag does a similar thing too depending on how many you have to dig up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Crusader posted:

i enjoyed the comments as a new plant caretaker

speaking of, i'm starting with a pothos because last time i tried raising a plant, it was a fern and died very quickly

it's grown a new leaf!

my ambition is transfer cuttings to new pots and just overgrow my apartment with the devil's ivy, but i dunno how realistic that is

I have a pothos that I stuck on top of my kitchen cupboards for 4 years and probably watered maybe three times? We moved and it got taken down and now it's a meter long again... I swear you can't kill them.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Are you not worried that they're going to vine all over all the other plants you have situated there?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Wallet has the good info.

But... I’ve used generic LED shop lights in the daylight spectrum for a few years now. They don’t grow quite as well as they might with special LED grow lights, but I’ve had a jungle of peppers in my basement since September. I have them set to 12h cycle right now, and I could have made it shorter, but I wanted to eat them.

They do need to still live right under the lights, as the zone doesn’t stay bright outside a small angle away. So don’t be afraid of trying a cheaper option if you aren’t sure you want to spring for the more expensive stuff. When I bought them, they were about $8 per 3’ light. Good price for a trial and maybe you find you don’t need the sunlight lamps. I’d go with LED though, I hate dealing with the fluorescent bulbs and I don’t expect them to start to die for another 7-8 years.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Oh, absolutely. You always have space issues, coverage issues, and is it enough for the plants at that height issues. I just don’t want people to get discouraged by price tags instead of just trying and adjusting. It’s so easy to try to be perfect when our grandparents would just try something and put it in a different window if it didn’t like the first one.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
There are so many types of iris, but I’ll say that I’ve never had issues in cold and freezing temps, even when buried shallow. They’ve tended to grow themselves up to being shallow anyway. I’d just leave them to recover, or maybe pull off some fully dead leaves and otherwise not stress them more. Definitely leave anything with green on it and it should recover okay.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jestery posted:

Inoculated 5 jars of popcorn and set up a mushroom bed , I wanna get it to be more "vertical" but I figure a bed is enough for now

Bed

Innoculation

I’ve never heard of popcorn for inoculation before. That’s really cool. Wine caps are yummy and that looks like it’ll be a good spot for them if they get enough water under there.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

Also I have like a hundred pots you guys, I literally dread the day I will have to move from this home. I may have to do some kind of giveaway/sale in the near future. I have too many euphorbia propagates.

I have this problem too. I've taken pothos cuttings, I have big rear end monstera cuttings to deal with. I have 2 parts of a split aglomena that I've spent 2 years building back into a plant after my wife tried to murder it. I also may have given all my peppers of the 5 main Capsicum cultivars (they're indoors, they sort of count) a big prune and have started about a dozen more cuttings too. Basically, I'm going to put a post out on neighborhood groups so people can come and take some of this stuff off my hands. I am going to put some of the big monstera cuttings outdoors to grow and hopefully die in the winter next year. Or maybe the come back, but I don't have room for 2 giant monstera inside.

I also just moved house and yes, it is as terrible as you're dreading.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Extra row of tits posted:

An excellent idea, I am learning how to grow assorted things at the moment. Ive never really had a lot of luck growing any plants but currently have a successful Venus fly trap, mint plant, and at least one of my swan plants is alive.

I try to follow the guides carefully but it often goes very wrong. I have just got a garden box(?) which I am growing different colored carrots in.

Don't feel bad if you're not some amazing gardener growing tons of roses either. Roses can be fickle plants and will sometimes just die when they looked perfectly happy the year before. Just enjoy any carrots you get and try to not let your mint plant take over the world.

But your local florist would probably love to help you put together some beautiful things and would be able to help you find great colors and flowers that will make the person you're giving them to really happy.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah and it’s super played out and overexposed in advertising and on social media so, like I said, basic bitch plant

once those fabled cheap variegateds come out expect there to be a big sink in its popularity

or maybe not, it’s a really striking plant

The big leaf with the splits is still the rage by me. I’ve been considering keeping the core plant and cutting off three big 4 leaf plus root system cuttings and selling them on Facebook for 35-50$ each. I probably could because they’re really giant leaves already and would make some apt dweller with not great light very happy.

We already split it into an ideal version and the big monster uncontrolled one and I just want that 1/4 of my dining room back.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Extra row of tits posted:

Ive very much enjoyed my short time in this thread, thank you all for being so welcoming and helpful. Is this the thread for asking new guy vegetable question in? I'm pretty sure most of my questioned could be Googled, but this is much more enjoyable.

Plants that you eat tend to be in this other thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672

Where many of the people posting are the same anyway.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
There are lots of rock features in gardens around me. This is both a product of it being anything but flat, but also they’re great for helping move the water where you need it to go when it rains for all of November and half of December in the PNW. I’ve also seen lots of rock features in New Mexico, also a product of the environment, but still really pretty. Then there’s the patch of river rock right in a section around a raised bed in my yard. I don’t like it, but it helps the water go where it needs to go again so it doesn’t go in my basement.

Saying that, rocks can be cool features and give your plants some extra background and really bring the garden together.

Just don’t put small rocks in veg garden beds or someone will end up cursing you every single time they try to grow root veg. Big rocks are still cool there too. Especially if they’re big enough to sit on.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

So the top here is what I’d call plant separation day. I had saved the Aglaonemia from a very large plant that needed to be repotted and my wife was learning how to do plants. Well, she killed most of it, but I managed to root and grow three cuttings from the carcass. And now I can give away these two and this off shoot of an Alocasia (I think? She threw away all the labels and I don’t know houseplants well).

Then I have this monster of what I think may be Wisteria in my front yard. It’s been pruned into this shape over many years it appears and now I get to find out if I can learn how to prune it so it doesn’t look like a disaster for 5 months a year.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Wallet posted:

Are you sure they weren't trying to kill it? It may be one of those stupid things people do where they decide the best way to prune X is to chop it to the ground every year, but what the gently caress.

It sort of vaguely looks like it could be wisteria but if so whoever did the prior pruning did not do a good job. Would be easier to identify with foliage and, in an ideal world, flowers.

Yeah, it’s been butchered badly for years. There are old cuts of varying age. The only reason I didn’t immediately dig it out is that it may look really cool and I have a lot of other projects ahead of it. The plan is to see if it is what I think it might be. If it’s not resplendent with beauty this year I’ll just dig it out and put in something cool. It may happen anyway if I can’t figure out how to train it into growing up instead of sideways on the ground too.

There’s a small holly growing under it and I could train that into a nice shrub if I give it 10 years.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I wish the US had a gardening culture more like Britain's.

It depends on where you are I think? Houses without gardens and only a lawn are very rare in a lot of older neighborhoods. It’s the move to suburbanization that just skipped the gardening part in a lot of the country. Hell, some places let them cut all the trees and then they just throw down sod “because erosion”. Most people are intimidated by started a garden from nothing, and the half dead dirt under that sod really doesn’t help. But we don’t require it of developers, so we get what we don’t pay for.

There’s some good gardening culture in most parts of the country too, but it changes so much from region to region, and that’s pretty awesome.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I mean... we do have a great gardening tradition in the South, but it doesn't seem as universal and cherished as Britain's? It's very much an old lady's hobby, and what media we do have is not on par with Gardener's World. I just want to see it grow.

Partly that's because England is about the size of Georgia and partly because it's been a thing for 400 years.

I do blame crappy PBS shows for the state of gardening culture, and the way botanical centers tend to cater to exactly that 'old lady' crowd. I've never been to one and really enjoyed it because of that whole vibe and I love gardens. Youtube shows are much better when it comes to target audiences and just basic representation (but it's hard to sift through them all and find someone knowledgeable).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Stitecin posted:

Chicago.

Edit: Didn’t see there was another page.

Since I'm here, I moved to the North Shore of Lake Superior from Sonoma County and want to get some native plants going to replace the buckthorn in my woods. Is there a place to buy Ilex verticillata -- (winterberry holly) or Symphoricarpos albus -- (common snowberry) or is there anything else that can outcompete the buckthorn? I plan to yank it with one of those buckthorn jacks like this:https://pullerbear.com/.

The only thing that out competes the buckthorn in that part of the country is a chainsaw and digging out as many roots as possible. It took my dad a few years to clear all of his out and they only have 3/4 acre. He's planted trees and understory plants to fill the space, but he still has to pull some out every year. Much easier now at least.

But then you should absolutely replace it and continue to cull the buckthorn because it'll keep trying to come back. Good luck, it's nasty stuff to live surrounded by.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Does anyone have a favorite copper based spray for dealing with downy mildew on shrubs? I went outside this morning and I have 4 that are just covered in the stuff and it wasn't obviously there even yesterday. Or another suggestion for dealing with it? These are well established bushes and as much as I don't love them, I don't want to lose the space filler right now.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah. Good idea. It’s still there and we’ve gotten plenty of wet weather this week that it’s not gotten any better.

I’ve been waging a slow war with ivy vines this week myself. There’s also what I think may be clematis that I’ve been pulling from my veggie beds, but I’m not letting it get big enough to really know.

The picture of that big monster shrub thing is not a wisteria. I do have one next to it, but this has the wrong sort of leaves for it so far. It’s just so strange looking and I can’t see anything else in the neighborhood that makes an ID easy or possible yet. Once it fully grows in again I’ll take better pictures.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Wallet posted:

Mine actually just got 8 or 10 more of them in and I am mighty tempted despite having nowhere practical to put more of them in the ground. I have no clue how they're making money on it.

My theory is that Monrovia or whomever is growing them is just doing it in a massive way. So they make more money by quantity, and they ship out the trees that look okay, but won't fetch a better price next year. The garden center I was at earlier to pick up copper Bonide fungus killer has a whole Japanese Maple section and those trees were no where near $30, but they were much bigger by a few years.

I mean really, it's not like they're hard to start. I pulled out 40-50 of them this weekend. So they probably just rake up a bunch of them, dump them into starts and then make money through attrition.

As an aside, that garden center is okay with pricing things at the higher level, but everything was getting the opposite of home depot treatment, where they were being mostly underwatered. There were entire tables of tomatoes that all needed water, and house plants were even worse. They were mostly as dry as a new rockwool cube.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, agree with everything, but the part about not meeting the metrics and not wanting to keep them in the supply chain for longer is what I was getting at. They'd all be okay plant probably, but because 'reasons' the dump them for cheaper to recoup the sunk cost knowing that they won't get 6-7x that in a couple years.

The garden store I was at earlier did have labels and proper names/cultivars on just about everything. I think it's a focus there and they had okay growing requirements listed too. But only on the sign in the store so you better take a picture. There were some with printed instructions on tags, but mostly not. They're also very organic (certified) focused so there's a markup for that too, hooray!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Nosre posted:

Amazing list, gonna be looking up a bunch of these!

And you're absolutely right, I was actually being mentally lazy and just thinking of the low-water, fragile ones when I said that. I actually have some of those already, like in that pot with the RIP Echeveria there's some hens and chicks and one unidentified, looks-like-a-Sedum that was from the previous tenants:

Then there's this fun stuff, which I literally pulled off a rootop in a France hostel we were at, stuck it in the bottom of my (now looking dead :( ) Eucalytpus and it's gone absolutely nuts.

The hens and chicks there are holding on but that other stuff is fierce. Also maybe a Sedum, any thoughts?

That's a ground cover Sedum, but I don't know the variety at all. We had it all over our last garden and it grows and grows. But it's also really easy to yank out without disturbing all the soil. It started growing in my compost when I didn't turn it in completely, but did die once it made the center of it. I really like the colors on the one you have, and when you plant something else in that pot you can just wiggle it back into the top of the soil and it'll come back great.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
If we’re posting pictures of Japanese Maples, here’s an old one.

I have no idea what variety again, as I didn’t plant it. But I get to learn how to prune it. Similar to the mess of a plant in the front of my yard, it’s had some hack jobs done to it in the past. For now I’m going to leave the completely horizontal branch on the left for my 7yo to climb. It should come off, but kid > tree. For now I’ll just clean up the dead branches and select ones to grow mostly the right direction.

It was planted much too close to the spruce that’s probably 100 years old, but it’s fine for now.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

That’s a great looking tree and a solid plan. The only thing I would add is to look areas to thin out a bit if you have branches touching or just need to add a little more breathing room. If you don’t already know, summer is likely your best time to prune since it will give the tree time to heal up before fall/rain comes.

Yeah. I had to scrub some moss off it this spring because it had taken up where the bad pruning jobs had been done. It looks like they just tore out some of the branches too, so I have to keep an eye on the wounds. Most have healed okay, but I'll expect moss to show up every winter/spring now.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

skylined! posted:

I have one inside and one outside, both juvenile, competing to see which one will grow faster. Fuckers.

I hacked off parts of one of mine and stuck it outside... to teach it a lesson.

I need to move the outside one, it's acting like its not getting quite enough light in the shade even though it was getting similar light indoors. Plants are weird.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Oil of Paris posted:

gently caress rabbits. And deer. And groundhogs. And squirrels. And voles. Goddamn rascals!!

Don’t forget the moles!

Also, my mystery shrub from months ago has an ID. It’s a smoke bush and it still looks like an angry drunk Sasquatch pruned it, so I don’t know if it will stay or go.

We do have this burgundy red peony that put out three of these pretty flowers. It doesn’t get enough light really. But the yard is an assortment of things that were pruned poorly and neglected, or generic stuff from a big box garden center. But there are a enough things that are nice and will stay. Or will stay until I can do something else with the space that looks cool.

We have some really great trees at least. There’s a great paper birch in the front. And we have a 60’ tall spruce that you could plant when you’re born and maybe see before you die. It dwarfs the Japanese maple that needed to be pruned properly 4 years ago and wasn’t. The spruce you can sit under when it’s pouring rain and you get only a drop or two. It’s magnificent.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

Nothing like than hitting costco in march and watching pick-up trucks full of upper middle class families loading those into the bed by the dozen.

It's so they don't ever need to talk to their neighbors.

They do make okay hedges, but they're over used. I have some tiny ones that were planted in the last two years before we moved in. I can't decide if I want to take them out or not. They grow okay in the very little sun on the north part of the house, but I really just need to look at what makes a great shade garden and go with that (but next year).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

I think you can also get around the height limits of fences as well. Still doesn’t say much good about someone who shades out every one of their neighbors.

Oh, there’s no problem here. We have a nice fence, and this keeps us from staring at each other too because it’s only 12’ or so. I actually like my neighbors, and they’re nice tall well kept ones on their side. There’s not much room to grow much there, and they’re a type of western red cedar and should be native anyway. I have no idea why the former people would plant their own and leave the home depot tags on them. But they planted them all the way down the fence, far apart, and under the spruce and Japanese maple. So half of them are in the worst place possible anyway. But really, they’re over used and rarely taken care of.

I just haven’t figured out what to put there, and it’s my house making all the shade. So it’s fun to see what people put in their gardens, but compared to growing edible plants, I have much less experience. I think the key is not expecting them to survive without me paying attention to them.

I am looking forward to putting in a whole bunch of heather along the west wall of the house. I just have to pick out colors and wait 5 years for them to start getting big.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jestery posted:

Presented without comment

That's a wonderful cactus. If it lasts for more than 4 hours, seek medical help.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Sous Videodrome posted:

My wife just made a macrame air plant hanger for the master bathroom. The hope is that the steam from the shower keeps them alive. It's too low light in there for anything else we've tried.

That's really cool and I love it. You can always just spritz them with water too, but if your bathroom likes to hang onto humidity like mine does (even with the fan going), they'll probably be regularly happy.

That's a really good idea and I'm going to steal it for our bathroom.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

subpar anachronism posted:

this doesn't look like a fungus gnat at all to me, it looks like a mosquito. might wanna think about impregnating your soil with mosquito bits.

The good news is that mosquito or fungus gnats, you can use Bti to take care of them. I like the liquid ones better than the bits, but it's up to preference. It's a different strain than the one for caterpillars, but will interrupt the cycle either way. Naturally occurring bacteria and it works better than neem derivatives in my experience. I just wish there were one that worked on scale, but then I'd have a large bay laurel still needing a spot in the house and I don't have one for it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

Anyone familiar with this plant?

It's yet another one of those "4 inch tropical" supermarket plants for cheap.
Very thin stems.

It does look a lot like my coffee tree.

But you're going to need a bigger pot. They grow big root balls and mine is currently about 36" tall. Or you can just leave it in the small pot and see if it'll stay small.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pokie posted:

I hope this survives my upcoming 700 mile move

I did 2k miles last year in May with a van full of plants (including that coffee tree, it’s very heavy) and they all made it okay. I just had to pay attention to their water needs changing and it was just fine for four days. You can definitely manage that really awesome tank of stuff.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is this the right thread to ask gardening questions? If not point me in the right direction and I'll move this.

I've got a pepper plan that's got yellowing leaves and I can't figure out why. I put some fertilizer in it a bit ago so I don't THINK it's that, but maybe. I'm not seeing signs of any kind of infestation, and the plants next to it is fine. The soil is damp, so I don't think it's under-watering. I've read some things online saying it could be overwatering, but the plants next to it look just fine.

It's sitting outside in full sunlight, temps are averaging in the 80s during the day, so it's not that. We've gotten a bunch of rain recently, but again the plants next to it are fine.

I'll throw up a couple pics in a sec once I get them off my phone.

The neighbor plant makes smaller, crappier peppers, while this guy makes some monsters. Frankly if the situation was reversed I'd probably just kill the other plant and start a new one, but I want to keep this guy going if I can. As it is I think I'm going to save some seeds off it and see if I can get some other plants producing like this.

edit: Chile de Arbol, should have mentioned that.

Eating plants are normally the other Gardening thread, but w/e. Yellowing leaves are normally because you're getting short on nutrients (or it's getting cold at night in the 50-60F range and they're starting to just die back). Add some fruiting balanced fertilizer with Calcium and Magnesium and it will be able to bounce back okay if it needs food, otherwise, you can cover them at night if it's the temp.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

any particular suggestions on fruiting fertilizer? Googling it is showing me a bunch of stuff for fruit trees. Ideally something I could pick up at the local Home Depot / Lowes.

I like the Fox Farm Tiger Bloom for spot fertilizing at the end of season. Really anything that’s higher in Phosphate (second number on label) than Nitrogen (first number) or even equal should be okay if it contains micro-nutrients. The powdered Organic Tomato fertilizer is also going to work okay, but I prefer to stop using it the beginning of August so the plants stop growing as much. It’ll still work in a pinch. You can get Cal-Mag by itself, but you won’t need much so ymmv.

It is a nice large plant, so if you haven’t fertilized it’s not really a surprise that it might be starting to find deficiencies.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Wallet posted:

Ya'll still horticulturating? Thread has been real quiet.

It's getting to be bulb season. This year I ended up ordering from a wholesaler I've never used before since the per-bulb cost was so much better for the stuff I wanted. That did mean to hit the minimum order I had to order >300 bulbs so I'm going to be forcing some on family members I guess.

No one around here ever stocks Fritillaria but I like them so I've got 100 meleagris coming (photos not mine) and 50 michailovskyi and a few of the bigger ones.

Also 25 of these cute white Alliums because I can never get enough stinky bulbs and I couldn't resist throwing in 100 of these sweet blue Muscari.

Those alliums look surprisingly close to the flowers I'd get on my wall full of Chinese garlic chives (Allium tuberosum). The bees absolutely love them and they have big white flowers for about a month if you don't cut them back. They do travel vigorously like regular chives and also bunching onions. So even if you think you've managed it they'll end up 30' away and you must make certain you pull out the whole root system. They smell and taste amazing, so I hope the ones you got are manageable and smell awesome too. I keep debating, but I'm not sure I have anywhere I can put them. I'd put them on the alley side of my garage, but there's a lot of dogs that get walked there.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

A talking coyote posted:

Thanks all, I just wanted some desert plants cause trying to maintain lawns/gardens in the desert seems kind of pointless to me no offense to anyone here. But the idea of a wall spikes in front of my windows does seem pretty badass. I’ll look into all your suggestions when I go to the nursery next weekend.

Really nothing wrong with that. Growing what grows best in your climate will give you a great chance to have success. I couldn't grow most cactuses outside without covering them for 8 months of the year. They'd just drown.

Does anyone have any ideas for window plants that do well in very low light conditions? I have a couple basement north facing windows that are about 95% shade for the entire year, but they're just very empty and I'm not really sure where to start.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

smax posted:

I come seeking advice on how to kill plants (they’re horribly invasive plants that have no business being in my back yard).

Offender #1: Wandering Jew. I know the answer is probably going to be “dig them all up,” but are there any other methods to control or kill them?

Offender #2: Bamboo. Another one where digging them out appears to be the only way. My main question here is whether cutting the bamboo way back will cause it to spread more, or if it’ll tend to stay where it is until I can dig it out. It’s already popping up all over the yard.

Location is in the Houston area, so there’s plenty of water to keep these stupid plants growing/spreading. I don’t have time to completely redo the landscaping, so my immediate goal is control until the temperatures come down enough to dig it all out. Not completely adverse to chemical warfare, but I want to limit it to low toxicity/short duration measures if possible (kids and dogs).

Of course a recent hurricane and subsequent wind storm split the one good tree in our back yard and 60% of it is dying now, so that’ll have to come out too. Ugh.

You'll end up digging them both out, but make sure you know where your buried utilities are. Any of those vining plants will split a irregular intervals and make a mess of things. You can use roundup/glyphosate on them, just use it properly with a spray bottle and right on the leaves. It'll make it easier to pull out and dig out the rest.

Bamboo doesn't mind getting dug back, and it'll delay the hard work of digging out the rest. It travels underground, so that's the only place to get rid of it. It may take some time because it's such a pain.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

has anybody tried growing big succulents (cacti and euphorbias) in textile grow bags?

Some of my big specimens are rapidly outgrowing their 8 and 10 inch plastic/terra cotta pots and I’m looking toward getting them in something that

1) breathes and isn’t too deep/prone to holding moisture where it won’t be properly drained/sucked

2) isn’t fragile or prone to cracking/breakage

3) isn’t topheavy, something that isn’t gonna tip over and probably break or crack

4) doesn’t weigh a whole bunch and make a heavy plant situation already much heavier

grow bags seem good, and if they’re good enough for weed and tomato people they’re probably fine for a big ol’ cactus, right?

I’m worried about them losing their shape/being difficult to control and keep upright. Don’t want an expensive and spiky prize E. horrida or Trichocereus group to go flopping out of a grow bag and onto the floor/my body

Bags are fine. They move fine if you have handles, and I've moved mine around plenty. They do wear out faster than anything else but don't break easily, and the first part that goes is the bottom, but that's from getting wet and wearing out. Probably less of an issue for most of your cactus' life in them. They do drain well, and I've had cherry tomatoes 3' tall just over loaded in one on a slope, so that's very good too.

I picked up a Euphorbia cereiformis and Kalanchoe blossfeldiana hybrid from the big orange box store today. Opposed to most others I've been in, they don't overwater their succulents/cacti and indeed look like they haven't been watered in weeks (but happily so). The Euphorbia has about 5-6 small new branches starting to move off, so I'll have to figure out how to divide it properly, and the Kalanchoe is about to flower, so hopefully I'll get to see what color those are soon. There's also a leaf from another succulent that I found under the Euphorbia, so it must have gotten stuck on the shelf. It's in good condition, so I'll see if I can't just get it to root itself too. Just no idea what it is right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I was thinking of getting grubgone (btg) for a grub problem. Does anyone know if it is safe to apply near a well?

The Btg is a bacteria, and it's safe for human contact, water supplies, and pollinators/bees. Apply soon or before all the grubs disappear deeper for the winter months.