Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

indigi posted:

the fungified mini Phal I rescued from Target is a loving beast. it kept all of its blooms for six weeks after losing a leaf and a half to fungus excision, still has two of its flowers left, and is putting out strong new roots as well as two new leaves; one started two weeks ago, the other just today as the first is still growing. I didn’t know phalanopsis did that. I didn’t even know they put out new roots or growth while flowering

I've got to repot this thing cause the media it's in is terrible, but I have no idea when I'll do it if it's constantly in growth or flower

Those grocery/hardware store store phals are something else. I got one for free from home depot that looked absolutely awful and dropped a leaf when I repotted it. Now it routinely puts out 2 spikes with over 20 flowers each 2 times a year with no special treatment. I guess the insane amount of hybridization the growers do with these really pays off. If you have a bit of patience you can get a really nice plant out of these.

Also, in my experience if a phal is really growing well you can get leaf growth during flowering, but it's definitely slower than leaf growth in the peak summer season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU