Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Saw this fella lounging around in my garden today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Wallet posted:

I am envious of your climate and also your cute skink friend (I think it's a skink? I have no idea, we don't have lizards in these parts). It's about to drop a couple feet of snow here.

It is a cute skink friend, but I also need to contend with the larger local fauna and I've been chasing the local scrub turkeys away from my garden

https://youtu.be/Og_g3b5edRY

It's been getting bloody hot and humid here ~40° and 80-90% humidity which gets old quick

My plants love it but I have been watering myself as much as the plants :tif:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

the fart question posted:

Frost bitten crassula update: the damage is more extensive than I thought: some of the bigger stems went mushy. Still, I think I’ve removed all the worst bits and there’s signs of life here and there so all is not lost.

:ohdear:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I have a very soft spot for crassula

My mother keeps a lot of it and my crassula is from her garden

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Dumb ghetto solution

Could you hang up a wet towel on a rack nearby and let it dry and remoisten as needed?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Pour one out for me

My groundskeepers accidentally destroyed a 6 month old choko/Mirlton vine I've been working on

I don't have high hopes :(

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Oil of Paris posted:

Legit wish there was a way to legally kill deer inside city limits

I know the feeling

But it's federally protected turkeys

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

the fart question posted:

I’ve kept it dry and given it light and now it’s coming back to life thanks to the advice from this thread.

Excelsior!
:3
Edit:
The passionfruit vine I planted earlier this year is going gangbusters and is now as tall as a house

Jestery fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 30, 2020

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Now look here m8

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I'm trying to grow a choko vine in the prime spot in my garden

Always failed previously due to insufficient sun

Things Gunna get Viney soon

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Jhet posted:

Are you not worried that they're going to vine all over all the other plants you have situated there?

I keep a pretty good eye on that section of my garden, and even if it does get a bit wild , choko vines shoots are edible, and respond well to a prune

I had some cucamelons and tomatoes there previously that took over everything.I figure one choko won't be unmanageable.

The other stuff is herbs that can take a bit of shade too

Here is a photo of the same area over run by tomates and vine cucumbers

Earth posted:

Whoa, are you using styrofoam coolers?

Yeah, I live near a bunch of fruit and veg shops and fish mongers who just give them away for free

Easy high volume (20-50 L) planters, it's pretty great, I got 6 of them to grow my kangkong and it's more than I can eat. And you can add holes in the bottom/side depending on the plants preference for swampy conditions

You can see the kangkong on the left here

I've done potatoes in them to great effect before, and they are a regular size so it's easy to slide things line a sokoban instead of trying to lift tens of kilos of dirt
Good fun

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Be warned, as may be expected, it is a slow thread

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Organised a part of my garden yesterday

Got a bit over grown and under utilised

I'm going to try and propagate yakon and dragon fruit for profit

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Watch this space I'm Gunna grow wine caps

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Inoculated 5 jars of popcorn and set up a mushroom bed , I wanna get it to be more "vertical" but I figure a bed is enough for now

Bed

Innoculation

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Jhet posted:

I’ve never heard of popcorn for inoculation before. That’s really cool. Wine caps are yummy and that looks like it’ll be a good spot for them if they get enough water under there.

Just working with what I know from other , COMPLETELY LEGAL, Mushroom grows I have read about

The bed is at the bottom of the garden so any ground water naturally flows in that direction , we are entering the we season here and it's covered by the stairs so it shouldn't get too soaked I hope

Those stakes on the right have beans planted near them and there is a rogue choko engulfing the area in shade so I think it's a good choice

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Houston, we have mycelium

Edit: additionally I'm growing some oyster mushrooms and oh boy are they aggressive

This is 3 days after spawn and 8 hours apart

Jestery fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 22, 2021

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I have birthed my 9L oyster mushroom cake

There is some contamination, which is unsurprising. But it's looking well and I'm confident it will work out

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Wallet posted:

Is that normally how mushrooms get planted? I've never considered growing them intentionally but I'm always excited when a cool one pops up in my garden.

I would not call it traditional , but it is followed the general production techniques

It's generally a process of taking a spore or mycelium sample and innoculating/introducing progressively larger sterile amounts of spawn material. Sort of like bulking up a sourdough starter

As your amount gets larger it becomes more resistant to contamination and you can allow it to fruit in open air

Here I have effectively made a log/stump of straw for the mushrooms to grow on, aswell as put hardwood mulch down for it to spread throughout

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

My local scrub turkey decided to help out and spread my hay/mycelium puck

Oh well, big rain predicted a week from now

I figure if I keep shoveling mycelium into the ground I'll get Mushrooms eventually

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

After a year my choko is starting to produce female flowers

I'm very excited

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I have my first choko !

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

My Mushroom adventures continue

I made some Mushroom block last night

Scaling up 300ml of spawn to 1L of bulk seems reasonable

Fingers crossed I avoid contamination

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

My wine cap brick continues quite well

I have two bricks and I think I'm Gunna try and break one up into the mush room patch and grow the other one

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I have recently come into some large bins and am wondering if I might have more success with mushroom fruiting in a slightly more controlled environment

What would be the best way to turn these into mushroom fruiting chambers?

I figure hole drilling and hay may be involved

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Goodpancakes posted:

I started some tomatoes from seed and I have them in some self watering pots in a "seed-starter" mix after they germinated. Will these have to be repotted into some other type of soil?

Seed raising mix is a bit lighter and fluffier

You will have better results in a denser, richer soil

If this is your first time growing stuff however , and you are anxious about transplantation, you can grow in seed raising mix. Up the fertilizer a bit and watch the water so it doesn't dry out

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I harvested my Chinese ginger today

With the price of ginger ATM I'm glad to have it

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Presented without comment

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I'm looking to sprout some ginger and sunchoke during the tail of this winter

Would popping the rhizomes in a shady greenhouse be a good idea?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Nowhere near dead by my eye

Trim the affected area

Give it a bit of a wash with a hose

Place in the sunniest area you have

What sort of climate do you have?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I can't think in F° I'm sorry but Ive googled and look to be around freezing point? No?

If so,

I would advise the warmest, Sunniest spot you got, make sure the soil is well draining and a little moist but not sopping

I have the same plant and it struggles during the worst of winter here and that's , at absolute worst a couple nights of 5°c

Propagating a cutting may also be an idea just to keep your mind at ease :)

Jade propagates easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

smax posted:

In this case I think it’s tradescantia pallida. I feel a little dirty writing “wandering Jew” so many times and I don’t know why it’s called that name in the first place, so from here out I’ll just use t. pallida.

Our local name has shifted from wandering Jew, to wandering dew

Its a very *taps temple* solution