Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

True and Interesting Facts about Horse

Does anyone know what these are and what they want? I was given them by some friends who were moving house and didn't want them. Currently they are just sitting on my lawn. I would like for them to not die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

New Zealand zone. We get cold wet winters but no frosts, warm but not hot summers. And it's windy as gently caress. They were yellow when I got them, should they not be yellow??

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

I just want to keep them alive! Now that I know what they are (thank you, Oil of Paris) I've looked up how to look after them and I'm afraid they are probably severely waterlogged, given they've been outside (it's summer here) in the pissing rain for the last two weeks...

But the pots do have holes in the bottom so hope is not lost! I've moved them under shelter so they can't get any wetter. The internet tells me I should repot them into dry soil and cut off any rotten roots - should I do this or just wait a bit and see if they green up?

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

Thank you for the advice :) I'm going to leave them in a sheltered spot for a week to let them dry out, and see what happens! If they look like they're getting sicker I'll try repotting them, and hopefully if they've got root rot or whatever it won't be too late :ohdear:

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

Yoruichi posted:

Does anyone know what these are and what they want? I was given them by some friends who were moving house and didn't want them. Currently they are just sitting on my lawn. I would like for them to not die.

Thank you for the advice about these cressula. It's been 6 weeks and they're not dead! Woo!

I brought them inside and put them in a sunny spot. They've lost some leaves but are definitely getting greener.

When should I start watering them again? How does one tell if plants like this need watering?

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

Help, I think my succulent has fungus. This plant was an impulse buy from a sale table at a garden store. It looked kinda beat up when I got it, but the old leaves are looking worse rather than better. The smallest leaves are new growth, so it doesn't seem to be dying. What should I do?

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

Wallet posted:

Are you sure it's a fungus? It looks a lot like someone rubbed off the farina (epicuticular wax) and then the leaves burned.

Oh! Yes it could be that. It was stuffed on a crowded table at the store so could have been rubbed by the other plants etc.

Should I remove the brown leaves or leave them until they die of their own accord?

If it does have mildew, how do you treat that?

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

Thank you for the advice!

I noticed the plant in the background below also had spots of white fuzz, so I have sprayed them both with an anti-fungal and moved them off the windowsill to a warmer/drier spot. Now the anxious wait :ohdear:

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

Opinions: Is it ever a good idea to plant cacti in pots with no drainage? On the upside, they're tidier and you can do trendy poo poo like plant things in teapots or whatever. On the downside, it seems like it would be very easy to end up with them sitting in water. Thoughts?

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

Platystemon posted:

No, never.

Get a ceramic bit and drill out the teapot if you need to.

If you need to be tidy, water the plants, then take away the saucer after the excess water has drained away.

So I bought a cactus in a neat pot, with no holes,and I thought, huh, if people do this maybe it's ok??

But I will listen to you and repot it! Then see if I can drill a couple of holes without cracking it :)

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

Sorry, Nosre, I have no rose knowledge.

Yoruichi posted:

Help, I think my succulent has fungus. This plant was an impulse buy from a sale table at a garden store. It looked kinda beat up when I got it, but the old leaves are looking worse rather than better. The smallest leaves are new growth, so it doesn't seem to be dying. What should I do?

It's been 6 weeks and this poor succulent still looks like poo poo. I tried spraying it with a copper-based anti-fungal spray, and the white mildewy looking stuff seems to have gone, but it's got new spots on its leaves and just generally looks a bit sick. The damaged leaves in the earlier photos have fallen off. I've been leaving it on a sunny (bearing in mind that it's the middle of winter so there's not a lot of sun to be had) windowsill during the day and moving it inside the curtains at night. Its soil feels pretty dry so I don't think it's waterlogged or anything.

Why does it look so sad??

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

Wallet posted:

Also my dudes outdoors are mostly doing pretty good so far:

Ok Comboomer posted:

Behold, my evolved form

Those are some very excellent collections!

These are my cactus friends.

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

Hello. A friend of mine has asked me to look after some of their houseplants for a while. One of them is a sweet potato vine, planted in quite a small pot (it's probably about 2 litres). I thought sweet potatoes were large plants that died after you harvested the tubers, but my friend swears you can just treat them like normal house plants and leave any tubers they produce in the pot. Is that true?

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

Thanks! Any tips for looking after it? Does it want a bigger pot or is a small pot the right idea to stop it producing heaps of tubers?

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

:sparkles:

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

Hello, does anyone know what these spots on the leaves of my ficus are? They look like salt crystals, and can be just brushed off. The plant seems healthy, but I'm not sure if these are normal or not.

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

Yo That Old Ganon, Thunderdome is having its 10th birthday party this week, you should come back and enter! Or anyone else who wants to write a very short story :madmax: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989882&pagenumber=40&perpage=40&userid=0#post525243894

But I am here with a plant question: some of my first batch of seedlings for this spring have a bit of fuzzy white fungus around the base. Are they doomed to die of damping off or is there a chance they'll recover? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

I will persist with them then, fingers crossed they make it :)