Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Plantfriends we need a new thread title any suggestions?!

Horticulture: Getting dirty down on your knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

silicone thrills posted:

Compost when its turning into good soil can get pretty hot in piles and kill off anything living in the center of the pile.

There was a landscaping company near my parents' house whose mulch pile spontaneously combusted. The flames were taller than the trees.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Could be a Sum and Substance. That's another huge hosta cultivar.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

the yeti posted:

I wish to plant a tree in my yard. How the heck do I figure out my options are that are appropriate for my hardiness zone and soil conditions?

Ideally I’d love some kind of reference that can tell me about hardiness, soil pest and fertilizer needs, and so on at once. Maybe I’m not using the right google magic words but mostly all I get are arborist pages that only talk about oak and maple, or nursery pages that don’t have much of a systematic search.

Well, first look up where you live on the USDA Hardiness map. Once you know the what will survive your local climate, then you have to look at where you're planting it. Don't plant some super tall tree near power lines. The utility companies may just prune your tree into some weird shape that you don't like in 10 years. Another thing to think of is what's buried beneath where you're digging. You may want to think twice about planting a tree on top of your sewer line. When in doubt, call 811 anywhere in the US. They will come out and mark your buried utility lines in the area for free. Utility companies don't like customers chopping through service cables or buried fiber with shovels.

Do you want something really flashy? Flowers? Variegated leaves? These are options. Do you primarily want shade? Are you planting this very far from the nearest hose? In that case, go with a native. They're already adapted to your local rainfall amount.

Honestly, trees are very easy to grow, just as long as you water them when they're young or if there's a drought.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Discussion Quorum posted:

* many fruit trees are propagated via cuttings and are clones, so simply having two trees is not enough - they need to be two different trees

2 different cultivars, specifically.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

My friend has this weird plant that they said you can cut a leaf off and it will grow into a new plant. I took one leaf from her and planted it like this 3 weeks ago. It hasnt done anything yet but also it doesnt look like its dying or anything so idk whats up. Am i doing good?

Also my african violet is poppin off which makes me feel less weird for keeping a jar of old egg shells and water under the sink to water it with.

I'm about 80% sure that is a snake plant. Those things are bulletproof.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

bobua posted:

Anyone know what this is? They were put in by the previous owner and they are going pretty crazy, but seem like offshoots of the main shrub. I feel like they definitely need pruning but im not sure what to cut.

Google lens wasn't crazy helpful. This is in north texas.

That picture is super grainy, but that might be an Abelia.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
My mom did air layering when I was a kid with cling wrap and rubber bands. It's easier than you think.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
You're lucky. It's the perfect time of year for pruning.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Here are the pruned fig trees!

Meant to post sooner but I was busy, or weather was gross.

Edit: did something go horrible wrong with these pics? I can't tell... on the app, so maybe it's fine for everyone else, but something seems wrong?!

Looks great!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

A drill is a necessary tool for every plant person to make or expand drainage holes.

With the appropriate bits for what you're drilling into. You'll need masonry bits for clay/ceramic pots.

Also, I have a new pineapple coming!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Then I have my elbow-length rose gloves for pruning. Rose gloves are great.

Sounds like welding gloves. They're heavy leather too.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
What is this bush that is flowering right now in zone 6b?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
drat it, I can't figure out something small to put in place of my 2 heavenly bamboos that 99% died after I had to remove the massive silver maple in my back yard. I guess they don't like full sun now? I'm open to recommendations. Full sun, zone 6a, 3 feet tall.

Also, in my front yard I have a beautyberry that flowers, yet has never had berries. Would shade do that? It's under a pin oak. Should I move it to the back yard?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 26, 2024

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Some plants (not sure about beautyberries) are male or female and only the female plants produce fruit. The male flowers only produce pollen or somethin, so maybe that’s it? Or there aren’t any other beautyberries around to pollinate it? Or it is sterile? Beautyberries are naturally an understory plant so I think they would be fine in some shade and I’ve seen plenty growing in shade that still fruit.

What the hell? I just pulled up pictures of beautyberry flowers and mine look nothing like that! Did I just buy the wrong loving bush?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Kinda looks like a honeysuckle of some sort? What do the flowers look like?

The flowers are a cluster of little white flowers in a sphere about an inch and a quarter across on the nodes. Definitely not a honeysuckle.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 26, 2024

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Maybe an abelia of some sort? There's like a million varieties.

No, it doesn't flower from the tips like an abelia.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The leaves do look kinda like that but it doesn’t sound like the right flowers.

Maybe buttonbush?
https://www.prairiemoon.com/cephalanthus-occidentalis-buttonbush

Yeah it has flower clusters like that. We might just have a winner.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Anybody got any blue hostas? I know it's just a wax coating, but a goon can dream. :allears:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Mad Hamish posted:

It looks so unhealthy even though I know it's not.

What he said. Where's the chlorophyll?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

buglord posted:

What the h*ck is growing from my snake plant?

Also why do some of my snake pant leaves have wrinkles?

That's a flower stalk. Snake plant flowers are nothing to write home about.

Wrinkles are normal on snake plants. There's a reason an alternate name for them is "mother in law's tongue".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I got a corner in my back yard between my shed and the fence that's full sun, zone 6B, maybe 2 yards across. I don't care about height. I was thinking "butterfly bush". Any thoughts?