Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Here are some of my plants. I am in Queensland, Australia. Bingeing the thread over the last couple of days I've noticed plant similarities with Florida and Ecuador.

A wandering iris flower I just like.

Crotons I have grown from cuttings.

Various things.

Red cordyline in flower.

Overnight flower from a cactus/succulent (I saw a lot of these in the thread).

Magnolia.

Jamaican croton. I love the foliage and the deep purple flower.

A potted grevillea. These might be my favourite flower. The birds love them, the bees love them, I love them!

Frog on a ficus.

And the same fella now turned reddish-brown a couple of weeks after moving under the red leaved plant in the pic.

Thanks for looking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Oh my goodness how did you even notice them? I'd be inclined to scrape them off or hit 'em with some white oil.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I just checked mine and they are all in the same spots as yours. Surely they are part of the plant.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Persian shield that I thought had died but came back more vibrant than ever.

Staghorn on a palm.

A dead staghorn with an air fern attached to it and draped with Spanish moss. Edit to add that there is also a tiny orchid somewhere amongst that mess.

The biggest cutting I've ever taken. A dracaena branch from a monstrous plant. Once it roots I'll put it in the ground somewhere.

huh fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 8, 2023

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
That is one sinister looking begonia! It seems very healthy, I have no idea what the things are. If I had them in my plants I wouldn't be concerned.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Check out this mass of bougainvillea around the corner from my parents' house.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
That is very cool.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
It is such a travesty when a big 'ol tree dies/has to be cut down.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
In what way does your kitty destroy them? Attacking the actual plant? Or knocking them over?

Or burying treats in them like my little Lucy does?

edit to add: Sometimes it's cough lollies.

huh fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Oct 12, 2023

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

HolHorsejob posted:

She's a leaf chomper. Every plant is catnip to this cat. Ferns, spider plant, coffee bush, anything. She perks up immediately upon seeing plant and will stop at nothing until the plant is out of the house or chomped out of existence. She stops short of jumping into hanging pots but

I'd like to hang small plants in front of windows but I can't drill into the ceiling. Are there like, small/light plant hangers that hang easily from curtain rods?

That is a very funny habit she has. There are small plastic hanging pots available but the bulk of the weight will come from the soil and plant. I think the earlier suggestion to have available cat grass is probably worth trying. They go nuts for it.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I have a couple of potted fiddle leafs that are 6 feet tall. I cut them both a couple of months ago so now they're 2 feet or so. They're both shooting really well with beautiful glossy leaves. It was the start of spring when I did it.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I don't have a recommendation but I have to say I don't trust orchids. They are not of this world.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
That is very cool.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I work at a tree breeding nursery

Can I ask you a question about something I've been wondering for a while? What type of growing medium do you use for the young plants? Is it significantly different to potting mix that is bought in bags?

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Brilliant. ty.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

indigi posted:

check out this lil cutie. started poking up on Wednesday, I've never seen anything on a succulent grow so quickly

Very pretty!

I feel that succulents store a whole lot of energy just to pump out their flowers with great gusto.

Especially true of agaves. I have about eight that have shot out their flower stalks in the last few weeks. The size and growth rate of these are incredible.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Organza Quiz posted:

Before now basically all the little buds were falling off before they could develop, which I was worried was due to the wind up here but the internet tells me it's due to high temperatures.

I had a potted grevillea that was going swimmingly until we had a week or so of very high temps and it died pretty quickly, despite me watering it frequently. I was devastated.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Organza Quiz posted:

Oh no! I only planted this one in December and it's doing great so far so hopefully it'll be fine for subsequent summers. It does get shade in the afternoon so maybe that helps.

What sort of temps are you talking? I wouldn't have thought grevilleas would be bothered by heat that much but I guess there must be varieties from colder parts of the country.

I think the max was 35 Celsius for a couple of days. It was originally a Bunnings plant, so it probably spent most of its life in a greenhouse down south somewhere. I bought it in winter and had it for 6 months before it died. cest la vie

huh fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 4, 2024

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
That's a nice idea. I've got a native violet (viola hederacea) that is a ground covering plant but it's in a hanging pot, so it spills over the pot in a lovely way. Until I cut it last weekend it was hanging down about 1.5 metres.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Wow, that scaevola is pretty. A quick search tells me most of those pictured are native to south Western Australia. I holidayed in Perth for a couple of weeks once but didn't have the appreciation for plants that I do now. I plan on going back over one of these days. It is so exciting to see the difference in bushland and gardens in other Aussie states.

And I just yesterday bought a new grevillea. Specifically because it is supposed to flower year-round, and I have a lot of honey eaters around here that love them. Random photo of what it is supposed to look like.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
That's a nice one.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

bagmonkey posted:

Dirt bean's arm is almost all the way out btw

Is it a magic bean?

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

bagmonkey posted:

It’s a rhizome that rooted off a ZZ leaf but lost the leaf before it could throw up a stalk. I’ve been faithfully watering it for like 6 months now and last month it started to grow a nubbin and now it’s a whole rear end stalk. It’s gonna be the tiniest little thing too

You persevered for 6 months? That's impressive!

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
That is spectacular.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can you feel the ground in those gloves?

This is my first priority.

These are my favourite type. Stretchy, thin, rubberised palm and fingers, snug around the wrist so nothing falls in.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

indigi posted:

anyone ever hosed with plumeria? seeds/cuttings/saplings, no experience refused

Are you in a warm-ish area? That will certainly help. They will grow very readily from a cutting. Cut it, let it scab over for a few days, put it in dirt.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

bagmonkey posted:

TULIP TIME

What on earth?!? That is beautiful.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Real hurthling! posted:

Finally cooperating

And these are stunning!

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Is that a dracaena behind it in the first photo? Does it flower ever?

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Despite having used fertilizer for years I didn't know what the components actually did. Wikipedia says:

* three main macronutrients (NPK):
Nitrogen (N): leaf growth
Phosphorus (P): development of roots, flowers, seeds, fruit;
Potassium (K): strong stem growth, movement of water in plants, promotion of flowering and fruiting;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

indigi posted:

I'd like to grow some trees not necessarily to bonsai-fy but I think it'd be neat to have a few 12~16 inch trees that look like regular fully grown trees but I got them from Lilliput or a mini world. I’m not interested in shaping them other than keeping them manageably-sized for a desk but maybe ultimately that is still bonsai idk.

I've a few different trees in pots that are about 4 - 5 feet tall that would otherwise be 30 feet or so if planted in the ground. I've grown them from seeds. They are easy to move around as I desire, and look just like the larger version of them do.