Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Hello, I am hoping some amazing obsessive horticulturist (is that what you call them?) will see this post and gift me with the knowledge I desire.

I very recently fell in love with plants. I want lots of plants, but I want to grow the plants, unless someone wants to convince me that's not financially (or otherwise) sound for some reason I wouldn't have thought of.

I have a west-facing apartment near west coast in WA state, I'm high up and I get great light in the day despite facing west though it is obviously not coming into the windows (direct). Then it comes in hard in the early evening presuming it's not cloudy. I have a good amount of space adjacent to the windows and plant shelving.

What I'm hoping for is a recommendation of a bunch of indoor plants that will thrive in this lower light exposure (both for floor and shelf) and if they can be planted from seed, and what ideal pot size should be used. I'm envisioning like 2-3 big floor plants and then like maybe twice that many smaller ones for putting on a shelf of some sort.

I also have an exposed balcony (also west-facing) that I'd like to place 2-3 permanently outdoor plants.

If what I'm asking is too much/specific just tell me to fork off and google it but I'm hoping to land advice from someone with passion who can get me on the right track as I kind of feel a bit lost at the moment on where to start. TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Generally temperatures are pretty mild. Western Washington is like spring/fall almost year round though it's been getting a bit more extreme in past years and we might get a couple of weeks of very hot or very cold temperatures.

Sounds like going from seed is definitely not the way to go for apartment living indoor plants if I'm expecting results while I'm actually living here, so thanks for that help. Maybe I should just go to Lowe's and grab what catches my eye after taking these recommendations into account.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Hello! I have a Devil's Vine that has been doing quite well in its lifetime (It's like 10 feet long!) but I think it's outgrown its pot and/or I overwatered it and the leaves at the base are slowly turning bright yellow and dying.

Is there a way to remove the extra segment of bare vine near the base without hurting the rest of the plant?

Can you just cut it and plant it back in the soil? Can you cut it and put it in water until it propagates roots even though it's massive? I feel like the answer to the latter question is no because I feel like one of my earlier cuttings included a second leaf that was growing and it died while the rest of the cutting grew roots.

e:
Visual aid:

Jelly fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 29, 2024

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Thanks everyone, this is all good info. I don't think I can create the necessary environment to open-air root like sky notes, so I may just see how it goes.

The vent is actually an in-wall heater that generally doesn't get any use, but it did get some limited use during the recent cold snap, so that's definitely a suspect and something I'll keep in mind.

I'll just let it do it's thing for now, maybe into the spring light and see what happens. I also have a huge coleus bush that is looking sad AF that I'm not sure will bounce back so I'll probably make a decision on them both in 60 days or so.

If no leaves grow back and the ugliness bothers me I may just go on a cutting spree and a propagate a new garden.

Chad Sexington posted:

Maybe take a top cutting, root it, and then train it up to grow and cover the bare patch?
This is a great idea!

Jelly fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 30, 2024