Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
are there any good beginner-intermediate books/videos/resources on growing succulents from seed? light googling has only turned up extremely basic guides that are more like an Ikea instruction manual and don't explain anything beyond the literal physical actions to take. I figured a general-purpose succulent book could do the trick, but the ones I've looked through at B&N were either 85% focused on aesthetics (which is cool, just not what I'm after yet) or they completely ignore seeds in favor of (admittedly simpler) propagation methods

just for background info, I'm interested in growing from seeds because it's the only way to get my hands on some of the species I'd like to take a crack at. the site I bought the seeds from does have guides for individual species' seeds, but they're much as I described above: essentially a checklist of between 5-10 steps, possibly with specific temperature recommendations, without any further detail on the science or processes. no info on what could go wrong (besides overwatering, which, duh), what to look out for in <x> conditions, best practices regarding heat and humidity, what type of medium is best for starting seeds, transferring from seed starting conditions to individual pots, etc. any help is appreciated my kind goon friends.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Last show from the pitcher plants this year. The moss/bog planters did great. I think I need to let them dry out some and move them under cover so that they don't stay too wet all winter.

these are gorgeous

e: maybe I should have asked this in the gardening thread? idk, and I'm sorry

indigi fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

where do yall get orchids online?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I'm not experienced enough to be able to diagnose from a picture but some shriveling is normal - the base will dry up a bit to form a callous, and then fart out some root leaders looking for soil. Let it dry a bit and wait for the roots to show up then make sure they're in contact with soil, lightly mist the whole shebang and the lil leaf should be rocking and rolling

if you're looking for an additive to help with drainage I'd recommend poultry grit (chicken/chick-specific grit will be a bit on the small side). it's cheap and works great, and the ones coated with probiotics are actually beneficial to keeping well-drained soil healthy. make sure it isn't the kind for egg-laying though, that might put a lot of extra minerals into the soil. I've heard it's fine to use but idk I have no personal experience with it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I dunno about vegetable oil though that seems strange, I wouldn't gently caress with that

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

any recs for general, detailed books/blogs/podcasts about orchids (or a survey for a genera like cattleya or oncidium) would be appreciated. there's a ton of videos on youtube but they're all pretty specific and highlight discrete characteristics/problems/care of a specific species. which are great, but I really enjoy having an overview of a plant group

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

if there's no bugs around what do you feed sundews

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah, that's more or less how they work. I just know from experience that feeding isn't really necessary for most carnivores. They're more likely to thrive if you do though.

how do you feed them? if you put a bug on is it a 100% capture rate? I don't want to let bugs loose willy nilly in my office

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I don't freakin know!! that's why I’m asking :friendly:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I decided to order a bunch of succulent seeds after piecing together as much internet info about germination as I could, and I tried to do everything, even stuff that contradicted the other stuff. one thing all the sources agreed on was that I should settle in for a long wait - 3 months isn't uncommon - and around a 15-40% germination rate. I prepared a humidity dome and planted echeveria, haworthia, and lithops seeds in 1/3 sections of the tray on Jan 7th.

as expected, nothing's happened on 2/3 of the tray... but it looks like every single lithops seed has already sprouted (more than that actually, I thought I was only getting 20).

I’m not sure why some parts of the soil look purple, I probably hosed with the camera settings at some point and it's never been obvious until now

the steps I took that I think might have actually contributed anything to this endeavor, and we'll see how it works out for the rest of the tray:

-mixed up a very loose and airy soil using 1 cactus mix 1 poultry grit .5 2-5mm pumice .5 coco coir
- sterilized everything; used some starsan solution for the tray and dome, put the soil in the oven at 220* for 45 minutes
-moistened the soil evenly with distilled water before sowing
-"watered" the seeds in with a spray bottle
-kept the tray on a heating pad 24/7
-very bright 6kK light but with 1 layer of tissue paper on top of the dome (not overhanging the sides though)

there's sand grains on top because most succulent seeds are so, so very tiny, like too small and clumpy to do the wet toothpick method, and I read the best way to ensure a good spread was to put fine sand into the seed packet first, shake it up to mix everything, and evenly distribute that. I also sterilized the sand just cause why not, yknow?

I'll let these babies get nice and strong before thinking about transplanting any, but here's hoping the rest of the tray sprouts with even half this success rate

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Ooh those are pretty

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

update: some of the echeveria seeds have started to grow in the past few days. not nearly as successful as the lithops seeds, but I’m pleased I haven't had to wait three months

the lithops have been about the same size for a couple weeks now, I’m wondering if I need to thin them out to give them more room to grow, or if they're doing fine. I'll probably leave them alone for another few weeks before deciding either way; again, not enough clear consistent info out there for me to feel comfortable making any big decisions

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

can sphagnum moss come back to life? I have some orchids on a pebble tray filled with water to keep them appropriately humid, and over time due to picking up the pots to water/care for the plants, some moss has fell out onto the pebbles. I haven't cleaned it up because I figured it'd just help with evaporation and moisture retention, but I just noticed this morning that some of it has turned green, and seems to be revived, living moss.

I should probably take some pictures to make sure it isn't mold or some algal growth, but in the few moments I spent looking over it just now it didn’t seem to be that. I've just never heard of this happening

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I did the hydrogen peroxide thing, but I don't think it had any effect; or, if it did, it was the opposite of what I expected. now there's this

it's just juvenile orchids on this tray which is indoors and enclosed in vinyl beside an air purifier that runs 24/7, so I’m really not sure what's going on if it wasn't something in the moss

indigi fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 25, 2024

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh it isn't a problem, at least I don't think so, I'd just never seen dry bagged moss come back to life before and was curious. At first I was worried it may have been fungal or algal and must protect these baby orchids

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the fungified mini Phal I rescued from Target is a loving beast. it kept all of its blooms for six weeks after losing a leaf and a half to fungus excision, still has two of its flowers left, and is putting out strong new roots as well as two new leaves; one started two weeks ago, the other just today as the first is still growing. I didn’t know phalanopsis did that. I didn’t even know they put out new roots or growth while flowering

I've got to repot this thing cause the media it's in is terrible, but I have no idea when I'll do it if it's constantly in growth or flower

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

check out this lil cutie. started poking up on Wednesday, I've never seen anything on a succulent grow so quickly

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what is permaculture and why would someone think it requires 36" of wood chips

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Beardcrumb posted:

Simply put, permaculture is a design approach for sustainable living and gardening, integrating principles from ecology, agriculture, and design. It aims to create harmonious relationships between humans and nature, emphasizing principles like observation, diversity, and minimal waste. Permaculture systems strive to mimic natural ecosystems, promoting resilience, biodiversity, and self-sufficiency.

I'm confused as to how any singular part of this description or combination thereof would lead to wanting feet of mulch

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I stratified some lily and eucalyptus seeds and none of them have done poo poo in a month. I have more in the fridge that have been going for an additional month now, hopefully those do better

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

I noticed my big phal starting its flower spike for the year which is always exciting, but now that I've looked closer while watering it I think it's doing TWO flower spikes:

This is the first year that I've fertilised it so I guess it's paying off! Very excited to see what it manages.

Oh... oh hell yeah

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

anyone ever hosed with plumeria? seeds/cuttings/saplings, no experience refused

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

time travel obviously

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I love those beds and the tulips look good as hell

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I get so mad when I see a blue plant or orchid or something and it's food coloring or otherwise fake. It should be Illegal to deceive me thus

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I wanna get some whalefin snake plants but they're really expensive and 97% are sold as single leaves and I want a bunch in one pot. I guess I can buy one and hope it grows more? idk poo poo about snake plants growth

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

drat I would snatch that up, cheapest I've seen around here is $28 for a single bruised/browned leaf

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

You fucker

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

bagmonkey posted:

where do you live btw

Philadelphia (get to know us)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I'd like to grow some trees not necessarily to bonsai-fy but I think it'd be neat to have a few 12~16 inch trees that look like regular fully grown trees but I got them from Lilliput or a mini world. I’m not interested in shaping them other than keeping them manageably-sized for a desk but maybe ultimately that is still bonsai idk.