Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Platystemon posted:

This last one I don’t see as a competitor to the others, but I want to give a shoutout to Apios americana as an underrated edible vine with nice flowers.

I have one of these in a hanging basket that's never really thrived (no flowers). I really need to figure out where to move it.

It's related to wisteria but grows more like passion vine. Maybe I could put the two of them together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Is it just here or has everyone suddenly learned about crown raising and gone way overboard? I swear they weren't doing this a few years ago. Every tree in town is uglier now.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That's great. I love buckeyes. I planted one in a pot a few years ago and it's done really well.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I dragged so many plants inside because of that stupid freeze. Ridiculous

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

does anybody have any advice about mounting staghorns?

I’ve got three 4” pots that I got on clearance for a sum total of $12 that are rapidly being outgrown and I’m debating between up-potting and going to wooden mounts

I mounted a couple on some scrap wood. I soaked the roots in water a bit to loosen up and remove the potting soil. Then I stuffed a bunch of wet peat moss onto the wood, pressed the fern against it, and wrapped twine around the whole thing.

It really is that simple. Try to get it really tight when you initially put it on so that it doesn't start sagging after the twine and moss settle. And be prepared to soak it in water pretty often unless you keep it somewhere humid or use something to hold the moisture in. I was hoping the shield fronds would do that for me, but they haven't helped at all.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You're legally responsible for the overhanging limbs on your property. Your neighbor doesn't have much say in it unless pruning them would damage the health of the tree.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It and all the trees around it looked like water oaks and they are famously unhealthy. 25 years growing and the next 25 years slowly dying.

E: The only good water oak is a dead water oak (or it’s very close relative the willow oak which seems to be an altogether superior tree). They’re the king of trash trees in the SE. Water oaks are probably the fastest growing oak in the world and if they didn’t die so fast and have so many flaws and hollow out they could be an incredible timber tree. I cut two out of my (admittedly prime bottomland) yard that were 15” DBh and 22 years old. I thought they were 50 before they cut them. Growth rings more than an inch apart some years, and easily 50’ tall. They are great firewood/woodlot trees and I have wondered if they could be coppiced or something. My other genius idea recently was to turn privet into English hedgerows. I have no idea the Southeast needs hedgerows, but I think privet would be great for it, with water oaks and green ash growing up in between.

Privet is specifically grown as a hedge. That's what it's for lol

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What's funny about privet in the southeast is that it's super invasive and naturally forms a messy boundary of sorts between most rural properties. I'm sure if you maintained it it would be much prettier though.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah this + whatever show I was watching about Ye Olde English Farme made me think about it. We don’t really have the hazel? Or whatever gets used for hedgerows in Europe but we sure have privet. Maybe yaupon or wax myrtle would work as native options? Weave a little devils walking stick in for extra fun. Honestly I think any attempt at making a hedgerow in the SE would be abandoned after it got completely choked by blackberry and greenbriar and would murder anyone who tried to clean it up.

Actually this reminds me of a similar idea I had. Eastern red cedar grows thick like that along fences and roads, and it really encloses an area when it's old. It's definitely not a hedge, but it's close to our equivalent. If I ever have a long driveway I want to line it with cedar.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I watch all kinds of weird British crap and have an Acorn TV subscription on prime and Monty Don’s ‘The Secret History of the British Garden’ is on there and it’s really good. I just watched the one on the 17th century and it was cool. Very neat to see reconstructions of how a garden looked in 1690 (weird af with tiny pyramid topiaries EVERYWHERE) vs. how a garden planted in 1690 looks 300 years later.

‘Gardeners World’ is on Britbox too and I guess that’s what I’m watching for the next month.

I wish the US had a gardening culture more like Britain's.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jhet posted:

It depends on where you are I think? Houses without gardens and only a lawn are very rare in a lot of older neighborhoods. It’s the move to suburbanization that just skipped the gardening part in a lot of the country. Hell, some places let them cut all the trees and then they just throw down sod “because erosion”. Most people are intimidated by started a garden from nothing, and the half dead dirt under that sod really doesn’t help. But we don’t require it of developers, so we get what we don’t pay for.

There’s some good gardening culture in most parts of the country too, but it changes so much from region to region, and that’s pretty awesome.

I mean... we do have a great gardening tradition in the South, but it doesn't seem as universal and cherished as Britain's? It's very much an old lady's hobby, and what media we do have is not on par with Gardener's World. I just want to see it grow.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I agree with those points, especially about older neighborhoods and income. McMansions always have the most generic landscaping.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Now I want McMansion Hell, but for landscapes.

Kate does roast people for their landscape sins, but it’s not the focus.

The other day I watched a bunch of youtube videos about topping crape myrtles, and it was basically the same experience

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Organza Quiz posted:

My garden problem is my little patch of front garden gets very little direct sunlight, and it seems like all the native plants from my region need full sun because Australia :( I like natives and want to help out the local birds and also don't want to have to set up a sprinkler system but it's so hard to find something that will flourish in the shade.

Australia has some of the world's best ferns though!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Porch talk made me realize that McMansions don't have front porches. One more reason they suck.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You usually need to be able to make out the details of the leaves and bark to ID a tree, plus your location. It looks like some branches have already been lopped off?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Some episode of 'Gardener's World' they were atsome garden that said they do a trial of some kind of annual every year and it was really neat. They'd grown like 150 different flavors of annual vines that year. Planting like, nothing but 20 varieties of okra one year and 20 zinnias or something the next could be a neat theme for a rotating annual garden.

I work next to a trial garden like this. It's oddly orderly for a garden but still beautiful and full of birds, bees, and butterflies. They dress it up by lining the outside with perennials and adding potted ornamentals around the paths.

This was a few years ago when the monarchs passed through: https://imgur.com/kd0BoVe

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I had a neat little pot of diamorpha smallii for several years, but a squirrel just gutted it, so I guess that's the end of that project.

This is the worst year for squirrels I've ever had. They've ruined several plants. I'm this close to taking my .22 out there.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mine kinda gets hosed up by the elements when I take it outside, even in the shade, but it gets much bigger leaves. The it grows out of control to the extent that it's hard to bring it back in without serious pruning. It's a weird plant that's always simultaneously very happy and very unhappy.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sphagnum is good for epiphytes like orchids, but it usually needs something like perlite to add drainage/aeration. I use a similar mixture for my nepenthes.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I mix sand with my sphagnum too. I'm not positive that it helps, but I think it does.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I want to get a couple of very large plastic pots for the patio to grow some small trees (or treeish things) that can provide some shade. It doesn't necessarily need to be shade for people -- I just want to keep more sunlight off of the hot stones during the day. What are some cold-hardy things that might be good for that in 8b? Definitely needs to be able to withstand high heat and full sun and do ok in a pot.

e: wondering if some sort of palm might be best. Anything lush might be too much maintenance with the heat & sun combo.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 24, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Would citrus trees really be cold hardy down to ~freezing in a pot?? I have a potted key lime tree actually, but I treat it as a tropical along with my philodendrons, monstera, hibiscus, and bay laurel. I leave the trifoliate orange outside without issue though. Fig is an interesting idea I hadn't thought of.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Depending on the cultivar, Japanese maples or even Vine maples will fit this perfectly. I live in 8b myself, have several in pots and in the ground and have a mix of full sun and shaded ones.

The difficult thing here is that there are a bajillion cultivars, and no nursery is going to have a full selection at all times.

How hot are we talking about here?
What parts of the day will have sun?
How large are the pots?
How tall do you want these trees to get?

Potentially 100F during midday full-sun on a hot stone patio. The main reason I'm looking into this is because I've found that shading the patio itself is a good way to moderate the hot conditions for everything else (I've added an umbrella and several in-ground trees to one side that have helped a lot.). I'm thinking of a pretty huge pot because small pots dry out really quickly in these conditions.

The reason I'm insisting on cold hardiness is that I already have too many plants that have to come in during the winter, and I want something with less maintenance.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Queen Victorian posted:

Honestly I think you'll be much better served by some cute patio sails. More and better shade with less maintenance. Also instant, because you don't have to wait for trees to grow. And you can unhook and fold them up for easy storage during storms/winter.

Furthermore, even though Japanese maples are great options for pots, they're pretty slow growers (or otherwise you're out $$$$ for a large specimen tree) and they probably wouldn't do well with 100F in full sun. But they'd probably be quite happy under a patio sail and could provide lovely garden/patio decor and a bit of supplemental shade.

Sails are a good idea. I've actually thought about them and gotten to the point of measuring and finding anchor points, but this is a crappy rental house, so everything's falling apart back there. The side of the patio that I'm looking at doesn't really have a good way to put one up.

Windmill palms look like they might be a good option. They're supposedly cold hardy down to about 0F and obviously handle heat fine, and the leaves look like they'd offer some decent shade.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Tree sealant is counterproductive 99% of the time. It just encourages moisture retention and fungal growth. Flat & flush pruning like you did is preferred because it helps the tree to heal best on its own.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I got a new ant plant!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think these are just springtails, which are totally harmless. Do they jump when you put your finger near them?

Fungus gnat larvae look similar, but they're confined to the soil and lack antennae. You won't see them crawling over bits of mulch like that. If there are any adults, they'll be black and will fly around the plant when disturbed. Thrips have an early life stage that looks similar (long and white with visible antennae). Mature thrips are black and leave very obvious damage on plants when there's an infestation.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The rockery/stumpery style is my favorite. Stuff some plants into the crevices!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Those weren't fungus gnat larvae lol. They were crawling on top of things. I'm still pretty sure they're just springtails, but it'd be worth managing for thrips if there's visible damage on the plants akin to aphid damage. If there are fungus gnats, they're not going to put holes in the plant anyway, which was the damage in question.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I always remove plants from strong light when I apply neem. That seems to prevent the burning.

I think the burning is caused by clogged stomata being unable to transpirate efficiently?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That glass greenhouse planter doesn't drain, so you might want to keep an eye on the water level. VFTs like moist soil, and they can sit in trays of water, but too much stagnant water can cause rot.

They don't really need to be fed. If you do put insects in the traps, be sure they're still alive. Movement triggers the closing mechanism, but continued movement is needed to keep the trap closed and trigger digestion.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You really can't overwater them in a single go, and I don't think any of mine have died from rot even though they sit in a tray of water all the time. You just don't want to drown it for an extended period. They're pretty resilient plants tbh.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I vote Alder

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

skylined! posted:

Here is my deck yesterday afternoon. I have a problem (I need more plants)

God I wish I could shade my patio like this. It's stone, and all the pots struggle in the heat.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

If you plant in hot weather just be sure to water it frequently, but yeah the same danger's there in a pot anyway. Fall planting is ideal with temperate species/climates because they tend to focus on root growth in the winter which prepares them for the summer.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I just picked up a Rose of Sharon yesterday. Somehow I've ended up with all these hibiscus species. They're great.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A lot of plants are hard to grow from seed. Most houseplants are probably grown from cuttings/cloning. That's actually a good & cheap way to collect houseplants though -- buy cuttings for cheap on Etsy or wherever and grow legit plants from them.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

Are there any good YouTube channels for landscape design and horticulture? Eg this old house. Just trying to learn more and make good decisions.

It's very British so some of the advice is odd or non-applicable, but Gardener's World is one of my favorites. There are lots of uploads on YouTube even though they aren't supposed to be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Does anyone feel inspired to do a megapost about moss poles? I think I'm trying to decide between premade and diy.