Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My fruit trees haven’t shed their leaves yet and it’s starting to annoy me.

The vast majority of the leaves haven’t even changed color.

loving GO DORMANT already! I gotta prune you fucks at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Best way to fix a pair of Fiskars loppers that the blades are starting to separate on so they’ll cut clean again?

I wouldn’t mind some recs on a good pair of pruning shears, either. My fruit trees are finally starting to shed their leaves and I need to trim them a bit.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I wish seedless strawberries and raspberries were a thing.

I love the flavors of both but I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE seeds

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So I just watched a bigass limb from a tree in our neighbor’s yard fall on our house. Thankfully it doesn’t look to have done any damage, but I’m a little worried that another limb might come down and leave a hole in our roof.

What is the protocol here, besides getting photos of the downed limb? Do we tell the neighbor to call a pruning service, or is this one of those things we can call the city about and let them handle it? The limb is resting on a power line a little bit, so...... okay yeah deffo gonna call the city. I think I answered my own question.

(btw Kaiser Schnitzel told me I could post here again as of April 6th)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Tree Law is like a whole messy thing, but basically and very generally, pretend your property line goes straight up and any part of that tree that's on your side of the line is basically your problem and your responsibility and you can cut it off unless it would kill the tree. If you think parts of the tree that are on your neighbor's property are a danger, write them a letter saying that and if it falls on your house maybe you can sue them or their insurance or something. If it's touching a power line, call the power company. Depending on what power line it's touching, it may be your responsibility-some places the line from the pole to your house is your problem, some places it's the power company's problem. Unless the tree is in a city right of way, I don't think they're going to be much help.

It's worth talking to your neighbor about-if you're gonna chop of a big chunk off it on your side of the line, they might rather take the whole thing down and split the cost or something.

Wellllll poo poo, this is what I was afraid of. Unfortunately this tree and all of its limbs are totally inaccessible from my house (too high up) or from the street (too far for a box lift to reach), so pretty much the only way to get to it is from the neighbor’s yard. I was hoping the city might have jurisdiction to take care of it without us having to talk to the neighbors or get their permission, partly because I’m always paranoid about setting off a neighbor feud, but I guess not.

So I guess step 1 is gonna be to talk to the neighbors and ask them to help cover the cost of removing the downed limb from out roof and/or let someone into their yard to take care of any other potential problem branches? What’s my next option if they say no?

Bonus lovely photos of the tree on our roof

Kinda hard to see it from this angle due to the half-dead camelia bush blocking the view

This angle is a lot better

I tried to get a pic of the limb hanging on the power line and this was about the best I could do

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 11, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Alright I fired off a bunch of tree removal quote requests on AngiesList, and we’re gonna talk to our homeowner’s insurance company tomorrow to see what they say. I’ll try to talk to the neighbors tomorrow too; so far they don’t seem to have noticed what happened, or if they have then they haven’t approached us about it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Queen Victorian posted:

Why the gently caress would you get tree removal quotes on a tree that is not yours and is not on your property before even having spoken to the owners of said tree? I thought you didn't want to start a feud.

If I were your neighbor and you approached me about my tree with removal quotes I'd tell you to go gently caress yourself. But if you came to me about the fallen branch and simply asked me to do something about it I'd happily oblige (and then get the trees trimmed to prevent future incidents).

Edit: or did you just mean removal of the fallen branch? Then never mind. Just don't go to your neighbor with talk about having them get rid of their tree. Asking them to trim them would be appropriate, I believe. If it were me I'd offer to help pay for trimming if they had objections for money reasons.

We just want to get the fallen limb off of our roof and off the power line. As far as I know it’s possible that we can do that without the tree guys needing to go into the neighbor’s yard; we can’t really know that one way or another until they come and take a look at it themselves. That could be days from now though. We’ve got plenty of time to talk to the neighbors between now and then.

The biggest concern is that the limb is still partially attached to the tree and the rest of it could still fall off at any time and cause some actual damage. The tree crew might be able to cut off enough of it from our side of the fence to keep poo poo from falling on us without going onto the neighbor’s property, or they might not. Or the neighbors might offer to trim it themselves, in which case we can cancel our quote appointments or push them back a week or two.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Moss grows best on compacted, acidic soil, so if you have a lot of moss growing in an area, it’s a good sign that the soil is pretty compacted and relatively acidic. Whatever you do, work up the dirt a little to help with the compaction.

Mulch it and plant some azaleas/rhododendrons would be my idea. They love shade and acidic soil.

If you go the azalea route, maybe avoid Encore azaleas. They do bloom year-round (... kinda) but the number of flowers you get with each bloom is way less than what you get from a normal azalea bush once a year in spring, and the bushes as a whole generally look pretty ratty in my experience.

Also make sure to keep them trimmed to a nice shape and fertilize them every year once they’ve had a year or two to get established. A well-shaped azalea bush that’s properly fertilized puts out a whole fuckton of flowers and looks loving amazing when it’s in bloom in the spring, and it makes for a pretty handsome green bush the rest of the year.

Azaleas are a pretty big deal where I live, so they’re a plant I actually know a little bit about. My town has an azalea festival every year at the beginning of spring when they’re in peak bloom; there’s a whole “Azalea District” where people open their bigass gardens to the public to check out all the flowers in bloom and it’s always a sight to behold (this year being the one exception due to Texas Snowpocalypse 2021).

EDIT: Actually I’d like to elaborate a bit on the “normal” vs Encore azalea thing.

Most regular azaleas have one spectacular blooming period in Spring, where (assuming it’s been properly fertilized) the entire bush is almost completely covered top-to-bottom in nothing but flowers for like 3 or 4 weeks or more, after which the blooms disappear and the plant goes into Handsome Green Shrub Mode for the rest of the year until Winter rolls around (and possibly well into that, depending on where you live). Some azaleas do an almost-equally-or-maybe-very-slightly-less-spectacular bloom in Spring, go into HGS Mode in Summer, and then have a second smaller bloom period in the Fall. I want to say that some azaleas’ leaves change color in the Fall but I need to double-check that. There are a few other regular varieties that bloom three times a year, once each season from Spring through Fall, but I don’t know as much about those as I don’t see them very often and haven’t read a whole lot about them. If I remember correctly they’re all mostly Shrub Mode year-round but with the addition of one somewhat-shorter blooming period each season consisting of fewer flowers per bloom than those other two types I described growing around all the leaves. However, while the three bloom periods on these varieties aren’t as amazing as the one or two on the other varieties, there are always enough flowers and leaves to fill out the whole bush so it at least looks full and handsome all the time.

Encore azaleas are a different story. Rather than putting on one massive explosion of flowers in Spring and possibly another smaller explosion in Fall, or three even smaller explosions once per season on top of a nice dense leafy shrubby bush-cushion, Encores poo poo out multiple scanty little half-assed farts of flowers periodically all throughout the Spring, Summer, and Fall. So while you will get flowers all year round, you won’t get very many of them at any one time, and the ones you do get are gonna be scattered around randomly and look like poo poo. Also the Encore bushes I’ve seen grow leaves about the same way they grow flowers — i.e. they fart out a few lovely-looking ones periodically in random places throughout the :airquote:bush:airquote: — and they never seem to grow enough combined leaves and flowers at any given time to even fill out the whole bush so it looks like... y’know, an actual bush the way a normal azalea would. In other words, Encore azaleas look like patchy unhealthy poo poo all year long, all the time, forever, and fail both as flowering bushes and as leafy shrubs.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 13, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

RickRogers posted:

Tbh I hate lawn care as it is always an uphill struggle and sometimes the (literal) underlying cause is that the whole soil structure is terrible for grass.
And even when you have it looking good, without a proper yearly maintenance plan (aerification/scarification/4 to 5 times a year fertilizing/Autumn feed/raking/more raking/mowing at an appropriate hight) it can go back to poo poo so quickly that it's not worth trying to get it looking good in the first place.

I think what you basically want is a nice surface for your kid to play on though, so grass is actually not necessary, or at least not everywhere.
Maybe in the worst most shaded areas have a play zone with a swing or whatever, where you could just cover it in woodchips or something would make a nice soft landing?

One of the best tips I learned about lawn care when I worked the garden section at a big-box home improvement store is that you must ALWAYS overseed your lawn once or twice a year. Like all of the other plants you put in your yard, your grass is not a native plant to the dirt it’s going on/in, meaning some of it is always gonna die off from year to year. In order to keep your lawn from gradually disappearing over time, you HAVE to lay down more grass seed periodically to replace whatever grass dies off that year/season. Doing this along with all the other regular maintenance stuff you gotta do will guarantee that you always have lush green grass covering your entire lawn, all year, every year, without parts of it slowly going bald like George Costanza.

Unfortunately it’s been a number of years since I worked that job and I’ve forgotten bits and pieces of what I was taught, so you should double-check some of this with someone better-versed than I in lawn stuff, BUT if I recall correctly, the general idea is that you want to put out new seed every year in (I think) very early Fall and/or very late Winter/early Spring; exactly when and how many times you do it will depend on where you live and what kind of grass(es) you’re trying to grow. I want to say that if you’re only doing it once a year (which would mean that you’re planting an all-weather grass that can take both Summer and Winter weather), then the general rule is to do it in early Fall so it can establish a root system by Spring (much like a lot of other plants, such as my many fruit trees :haw:), but again, you should probably confirm that with an expert, and if that expert isn’t a goon that posts in this thread then PLEASE POST WHATEVER THEY TELL YOU HERE, because I’d love to have my memory refreshed on the subject!

Some grasses can only handle warm weather, and some are able to handle cold weather but don’t do as well in hotter temperatures. St. Augustine is an example of a grass that can’t handle cold at all, even in areas with mild winters like mine where the temperature normally only goes below freezing two or three times a year at most. In cases like this, you’ll want to seed twice a year instead of once, with a warm weather grass in late Winter/early Spring (pretty much as soon as your store of choice starts stocking the grass seed you want that year — I think in my area they usually start putting out the St. Augustine seed around mid-to-late February), and a cool weather grass in late Summer/early Fall.

Also don’t forget to test your lawn dirt pH and nutrients and do pest control as needed! I think it’s usually recommended to start putting out your pest treatment awhile before you start seeding and fertilizing for whatever season, like a month or two ahead of time at least? Our front yard has grubs everywhere that keep eating and killing our grass and somehow we never seem to remember to apply our pest control stuff to kill the bastards when we’re actually supposed to.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 13, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

By the way if any (or all) of the stuff I said in either of those last two posts is wrong then feel free to correct me. I’m hoping to plant some azaleas in our yard either later this year or early next year, and the less mistaken I am on what I think I know about them, the better. Same goes for fixing up our lawn.

I really hope to God I didn’t gently caress up too many facts in those posts; I’m so loving sick and tired of seemingly always being wrong as gently caress about everything

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 13, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Okay I talked to my neighbors about the tree situation and they’re cool with letting the tree cutters into their yard. So no worries there.

We also got a written estimate from a tree guy and filed a claim with our insurance, although neither of them can get anyone out here to actually do anything until this Saturday. And insurance told us that we have to have the limb removed before they arrive so they can inspect the roof for damage (which sounds a bit fishy to me since I would think they’d need to see everything intact from the time it happened before checking for damages, but maybe that’s just me watching too many personal injury lawyer commercials).

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Update: the tree limb is now officially gone! Our neighbors’ landlord (apparently the house is a rental) called a guy to take care of it and he came by today and removed everything all the way down to the trunk.

As far as whether they’re gonna have someone assess the health of any of the other trees/branches in the yard, we don’t know. Although I wouldn’t be shocked if they did, considering this tree probably isn’t in the best health for a limb to have broken off of it as easily as that one did (the weather was totally calm when it happened and I don’t think there was any weight on there) and the only other big tree in that yard that’s near the fence has a ton of huge knots and burls and poo poo on it. I get the sense that this landlord is the type that gets real persnickety about anything that MIGHT hurt his property values or lead to any kind of legal trouble for him.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 15, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It and all the trees around it looked like water oaks and they are famously unhealthy. 25 years growing and the next 25 years slowly dying.

E: The only good water oak is a dead water oak (or it’s very close relative the willow oak which seems to be an altogether superior tree). They’re the king of trash trees in the SE. Water oaks are probably the fastest growing oak in the world and if they didn’t die so fast and have so many flaws and hollow out they could be an incredible timber tree. I cut two out of my (admittedly prime bottomland) yard that were 15” DBh and 22 years old. I thought they were 50 before they cut them. Growth rings more than an inch apart some years, and easily 50’ tall. They are great firewood/woodlot trees and I have wondered if they could be coppiced or something. My other genius idea recently was to turn privet into English hedgerows. I have no idea the Southeast needs hedgerows, but I think privet would be great for it, with water oaks and green ash growing up in between.

Funny you say this! We had a water oak pop up out of nowhere in our front yard a few years ago, practically in the same exact spot as an earlier (different kind of) oak tree that we had to cut down awhile before that. My dad, being a “live-and-let-live” semi-hippie type of guy, didn’t want to cut the water oak down because he had wanted to put a new oak tree in that spot anyway, and with this one magically appearing there on it’s own, he considered it to be — and I’m quoting him directly here — a “little gift from God” (he’s pretty religious like that, although thankfully not in a bad conservative way).

Now, I say all of that in the past tense because, while the tree is still standing there in that spot at the moment, it is no longer alive. That’s because the huge winter storm we got back in February that murdered our state’s power and water grids also killed a whole shitload of plants, including this particular tree. You can tell it’s dead because all of the leaves on it are shrivelled up and death-brown, instead of growing and bright vibrant green like oak leaves are supposed to be at this time of year. I have a chainsaw big enough to cut it down, but it’s right near a power line and too tall for someone to cut down safely and gradually without either a tall A-frame ladder or a boxlift. Both of those things mean that we need to hire a pro to take care of it, although the power line is along the street and not connected to our house which makes me wonder if maybe the city might handle it for us :thunk:

EDIT: Actually that same storm killed several other plants of ours too, including a gardenia bush, two camellia bushes (about half of one of which is still desperately clinging to life), pretty much all of our existing azalea bushes (none of which were ever doing that well to begin with, partly because no one ever took care of them and partly because they’re all Encores, because we bought them back before we knew better), and — perhaps most notably — the very hedge bushes and ground-cover jasmine in our front yard that I’ve been wanting to dig up and replace with the GOOD KIND of azalea bushes for like 2 years now. Except this time WE’RE GONNA GROW ‘EM RIGHT :cawg:

(I also want to put in a couple of flowering cherry trees and possibly a flowering peach, along with several varieties of roses, a few crepe myrtles along the border between our house and our neighbors above us, and a whole bunch of tulips and hyacinths and poo poo)

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 15, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Funny you say this! We had a water oak pop up out of nowhere in our front yard a few years ago, practically in the same exact spot as an earlier (different kind of) oak tree that we had to cut down awhile before that. My dad, being a “live-and-let-live” semi-hippie type of guy, didn’t want to cut the water oak down because he had wanted to put a new oak tree in that spot anyway, and with this one magically appearing there on it’s own, he considered it to be — and I’m quoting him directly here — a “little gift from God” (he’s pretty religious like that, although thankfully not in a bad conservative way).

Now, I say all of that in the past tense because, while the tree is still standing there in that spot at the moment, it is no longer alive. That’s because the huge winter storm we got back in February that murdered our state’s power and water grids also killed a whole shitload of plants, including this particular tree. You can tell it’s dead because all of the leaves on it are shrivelled up and death-brown, instead of growing and bright vibrant green like oak leaves are supposed to be at this time of year. I have a chainsaw big enough to cut it down, but it’s right near a power line and too tall for someone to cut down safely and gradually without either a tall A-frame ladder or a boxlift. Both of those things mean that we need to hire a pro to take care of it, although the power line is along the street and not connected to our house which makes me wonder if maybe the city might handle it for us :thunk:

Well Dad changed his mind again and now he doesn’t want to cut down the water oak. Apparently it’s growing new branches to replace the ones that died.

Good news is I have some Roundup left over from when I had to clear out a place in our jasmine bed to plant a dogwood tree several months ago. Maybe I’ll grab my hand-pump sprayer and play a little game of After-Dark Angel of Death with it. :ninja:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

since I can’t find the Critterquest thread in GBS, can y’all help me identify what kind of wasp this is?

it’s kinda brown and yellow and I think maybe like 3/4 of an inch long, give or take. I Raid-ed the poo poo out of several of their nests near my apple trees not too long ago, and now the little fuckers are retaliating by building a new nest ON one of the trees. weirdly they don’t seem to give much of a gently caress about me but I want them gone regardless

again, I’m in northeast Texas

sorry for the poo poo photos but it was moving around a lot and this was the closest to it I could get

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Any good wasp/hornet traps y’all recommend? Mostly for paper wasps and the like. I just busted a few trying to build a nest in one of my tree trunk covers.

Are any of those electric traps any good?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've only ever used those little carpenter bee traps which work well. No idea about wasps, but you might ask in the pest control thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944991

Oh right, I forgot that there’s a pest control thread now. Thanks, I’ll check over there.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Any good wasp/hornet traps y’all recommend? Mostly for paper wasps and the like. I just busted a few trying to build a nest in one of my tree trunk covers.

Are any of those electric traps any good?

welp

after consulting this and two other HCH threads, including the Pest Control thread, I haven’t gotten a single reply from anybody except Kaiser Schnitzel suggesting I ask the aforementioned Pest Control thread. so unless y’all happen to have any suggestions, I’ll just grab something with good reviews and hope to god it works.

I assume most of y’all loving hate wasps and hornets too, so I’ll report back here on if whatever I end up buying sucks or not.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

CommonShore posted:

This is an apple tree I planted in the fall. Looks pretty diseased. Should I cut it down and burn it to protect my other trees? Or can it survive this?

I’m not an expert but none of my espalier apples have ever looked anywhere close to that. At all. They look like normal rear end trees with leaves and sometimes flowers on them.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I need to trim one of my peach trees in the next few days, and I need to post some pics and get some advice from this thread on where to cut.

I’ve read that peach trees are prone to putting out excess growth leading to a lot of weak branches and problems later on, and that some light pruning is necessary during the growing season to ensure that any new growth is strong and healthy. I’ve also read that the best time to do this is mid-to-late June, meaning my window of opportunity is closing fast.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Wallet posted:

There's a really great guide for pruning trees in the third post in the thread right after the OP which is worth checking out for a good primer on how to safely prune things. Really narrow crotches like that are bad news and usually worth pruning early before the tree pumps a lot of effort into them, particularly if bark is included.

I probably should’ve read this before I trimmed back my peach tree the other day. Although the shoots I cut off were adding more weight and wind resistance than the limbs were able to support, so under the circumstances I think I did what I had to.

I just wish it didn’t look so fucky now. :gonk:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So Stark Bros decided to send the golden delicious trees I ordered a few weeks earlier than I told them to, which means they're gonna arrive sometime between tomorrow and Monday.

Is it safe to go ahead and put these in the ground now or do I need to pot them for another 2 or 3 weeks before I do that?

I'm in zone 8b.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Alright I'm getting ready to put these trees in the ground.

They're replacing a couple of trees I planted a year and a half ago that didn't make it, and the holes they're going in are full of already-amended dirt from back then. How should I go about mixing the dirt here? Should I just plant them in the same dirt from last time, or should I mix in some dirt from the ground around the holes too? Should I add any more bag soil or compost or whatever?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

One more question: If I want to kill some weeds in a spot with Roundup before planting, how long should I wait after that before I plant? I ask because there's some grass in this area that grew up through the ground cover and over the holes I'm about to plant in, and I'm not 100% sure if pulling it up is gonna keep it gone.

Yes, I am gonna put ground cover and mulch over the trees when they're planted. But this grass has apparently gotten through ground cover before, sooo

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I really really really need to prune my fruit trees.

and I am putting it off because I'm TERRIFIED that I'm gonna gently caress it up somehow. But I have to do it, and I have to do it SOON.

Last year I trimmed 2 or 3 small branches off of one of my peach trees mid-season because they were growing inward, and it somehow hosed up the limb's center of gravity or something about how it caught the wind so bad that an entire major limb broke off the main trunk. It was horrible. There was sap everywhere. I don't want that to happen again. :gonk:

Help me

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Wallet posted:

Here you go:

thank you

EDIT: ... but drat whoever wrote this thing did a shitass job on it. Not nearly enough diagrams or bullet-points, and the ones that are there are tough to read for reasons I can't entirely put my finger on, but I feel like they could've been easily fixed by someone who knew a drat about graphic design.

Like, it's good info, and I know it's all important, but my brain doesn't want to commit to 20 whole pages of text just to cut some tree branches. Please just give me the broad strokes and save the rest of the fancy why-science for later.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 14, 2022

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I finally pruned my Redhaven peach tree today. Might post pics tomorrow to make sure I didn't gently caress it up or miss anything. I also topped a bunch of branches which I'm told is helpful for peach trees.

My Belle of Georgia peach is already blooming. I assume this means it's too late to do any major pruning? Although there's a few crossing branches that I probably oughta nip off if it won't hurt the tree for me to do it. It only went in the ground last year, so there shouldn't be a whole lot on there that I need to remove.

I'm not entirely sure how to go about pruning my espalier apple trees. The golden deliciouses that are supposed to pollenate most of the other 9 varieties I planted only went in the ground late last year and were pretty young when they arrived, which means they have a ways to go before they really start flowering. The rest of the trees, all but 4 of them (2 of those other 9 varieties) have a good year-and-a-half or 2-year head start on them (the aforementioned other 4 were planted at the same time as the goldens late last year). Because of this, I'm wondering if I should prune the older trees back down to the trunk, so that maybe they'll all get held back just enough to have a better shot at flowering at the same time as the golden deliciouses, and thus have an easier and better time pollinating each other? How insane is that? Would I just totally kill the trees if I did that?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Welp, I pruned the blooming peach tree. Not a lot, but enough to get rid of the crossing branches.

Hope I didn't kill it.

I also pruned the older of my two cherry trees (I need a stepping stool to prune the other one because of how tall it has grown). I think I still have a bit of time to trim down my apple trees but not a lot, maybe a few days at most. Gonna be a photo finish.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

guys help I think something is wrong with my peach tree. it's got these weird growths on it

what do I do?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Brawnfire posted:

Why do people like peaches?

Why do you like posting?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Brawnfire posted:

Jeez, it was just a joke about eating peach pits, peaches

Ah. I did not register that.

Kids, don't eat peach pits! (or almonds, for that matter)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I was the lazy grasshopper and missed both the fall AND spring planting windows for my replacement apple espalier trees.

Thankfully they're all in pretty good-size pots so they're not in danger of dying, but since it's probably too late to plant them in the ground this spring I'm wondering if I need to move them to bigger pots so they won't get root-bound before next fall? Doing that would also give me an opportunity to amend the soil in the pots (which is store-bought in-ground soil, because that's where the trees are gonna go eventually) with native dirt from the ground they're gonna be planted in, but do I need bigger than ~17"-21" diameter pots if the trees are only about a year or two old, or can I just amend the soil in the pots they're in now? I'm in Zone 8B in northeast Texas.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

sexy tiger boobs posted:

If you're gonna swap pots why not just put them in the ground? Same amount of disturbance. Everything I've had in pots has been waay happier in the ground.

Platystemon posted:

Yeah so maybe you should have planted them weeks ago, but unless they’re going on an unirrigated exposed ridge or something, they’re probably still going to be better off in the ground.

In that case I'll go ahead and put them in the ground now. I've been prepping to do that for several weeks anyway but I also got sidetracked by another project I'm working on at the same time and I put more attention on it than I did on planting stuff.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Good news: At least 5 of my apple trees are putting out their first fruits :toot:

Bad news: there are little green bugs all over the undersides of some of the leaves sucking the life out of them and I want them dead; how do I get them dead? Besides smushing them with my fingers?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

If you do end up planting azaleas, DO NOT get Encore ones. They look like ratty poo poo.

Azaleas are a pretty big deal where I live (we have a whole town festival for them every year) and the only kinds I ever see anyone plant around here are the normal kind that bloom once in the spring, where they cover the entire bush in flowers so much you can't even see the leaves for like 6 to 8 weeks and then go back to looking like a regular shrub the rest of the year. Encore azaleas SAY that they'll bloom year-round, but they won't put out a lot of blooms during any one season, and in my experience they always look like they're on the verge of death even with proper care. Don't buy them.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Flowering cherries are awesome trees. Hardy as gently caress too.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ok Comboomer posted:

(for about 20-25 years)

I was much happier not knowing this.

OSU_Matthew posted:

E: It didn't even occur to me to check the expected lifespan, I just figured most trees kept going so long as their conditions were good and they weren't pruned stupidly to pool water and rot the inside. poo poo, should've gotten the redbud or something else

Same, and I want to continue believing this. After all the work I put into my (still-unfinished) apple espalier, I don't want to think about it eventually dying.

couldcareless posted:

I'd love to have a flowering cherry for my yard but in my bits of research I never came across one that can cut it in 9b.

At least we have my neighbor's bradford pear for their flowers (:barf:)

I KNOW I have heard of flowering cherry varieties that grow at least as far down as Zone 9 or 10. I want to say Yoshinos will grow in 9 but I might be confusing them with another variety. I know they'll grow in 8B though; there are several local nurseries near me that sell them.

I'm amazed more people in my area don't plant cherries or peaches given how pretty and how drought-tolerant they are.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 16, 2022

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

welp

The dead eucalyptus tree in our yard finally decided to fall over. Luckily it decided to fall in a direction where it's resting on the branches of like 2 or 3 other trees, so it's not currently falling, but it's still leaning in the direction of our house which is bad.

I scheduled a tree removal service on Angi but the soonest they can come is Wednesday morning, so I also requested a few other quotes on Yelp to see if anyone can come out sooner. Is there another good pro-finding app I can use too?

EDIT: Oh drat I got like 3 replies already. Two guys coming out this afternoon. Nice!

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 15, 2022

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Do y'all have any tree care resources or Youtube channels you like? Particularly wrt trees in east and central Texas?

I just took a job selling tree care services and they really want me to study up on trees and tree-related things before I start training in a couple of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'll check my library for it.

Kinda wish it was on Kindle so I could word-search it though.