Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

:toot:

I'm turning the old thread into a commemorative 6er thread for the next day or two before we send it off to the goodmine so plz post there if you want some flowers in your rap sheet.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

RickRogers posted:

Camellia question that I posted too late on the old thread:

Any ideas on what causes these leaf "holes"?
This specimen is planted out in the garden, semi shade, and a good number of the leaves have these, almost like burn holes, but otherwise it seems ok (despite probably needing more feed and compost, (the climate here in Germany is tbh not great for them either)).

I wonder if maybe it's something to do with a sooty-mold that I often see on camelias that spend time over winter in a greenhouse?

I don't know what it is, but I have seen it before and it doesn't seem to do major harm. Looks like sunburn or maybe salt injury? https://www.americancamellias.com/education-and-camellia-care/insects-and-diseases

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Cowwan posted:

Cool, Lavender is one of the plants I've had trouble with (I think it doesn't like how wet Florida is), so it's good to know I can start again from seed without too much trouble.
Grow it in a pot in fairly full sun, put gravel down as mulch at the top of the pot, don't water it much, and there's a ~30% chance it miiiiiight make it through summer. It does not like the humidity and being wet all the time. It does okay in the fall and spring though, just don't expect it to be perennial and don't put it in the ground or its roots rot in a hurry.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Deer are the worst. The stinky spray stuff does sort of mostly kind of work, but you have to re-apply fairly regularly. Otherwise-fences. You don't have to make your plants unreachable, just make them harder to get than your neighbors'.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ok Comboomer posted:

A town ordinance against "hunting in general"? That can't be a thing. So like, say you hypothetically walked up to a deer in your yard and just started biting it until it died. No traps, no potential public endangerment, no violation of protected habitat, just the platonic ideal scenario of you and a deer, in your yard, in mortal congress. You could be arrested for that?

Edit: Jokes aside, you'd probably be cited for animal abuse. There's actually no good way to live by Beast Law in the realm of Man.
Nice post/red text combo, lol.

Most towns have laws against discharging a firearm within city limits, and most states have laws prohibiting hunting with X feet of a public road etc. My mom is from the country and the deer up there are awful. We’ve tried about everything and fences seem to be the best, at least for the first few years for stuff to get established. Deer also REALLY like new plants because they’re juiced so full of fertilizer from the nursery that they have much more tender, delicious, nutritious growth than stuff growing in plain ole dirt.

Planting non-preferred species (there is no such thing as deer resistant, lol) helps a ton too, and those tend to mostly be the old fashioned plants I like anyway. They really don’t like gladiolus, iris, crinums, gingers (mostly), camellias, indica azaleas, narcissus/daffodils etc. They really absolutely do love roses, daylillies, hydrangeas, and hostas. They definitely will eat magnolias (esp. the buds of deciduous ones) and even the leathery leaves of southern magnolia if they’re really hungry. I’m going to try some agapanthus up there this year too-I doubt they will bother them.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Imgur was having a meltdown yesterday, but here's some Christmas camellias:

The dark purply one is Sawada's Mahogany and I feel like it is finally really making some nice big blooms. They've been much smaller in the past.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I. M. Gei posted:

Best way to fix a pair of Fiskars loppers that the blades are starting to separate on so they’ll cut clean again?

I wouldn’t mind some recs on a good pair of pruning shears, either. My fruit trees are finally starting to shed their leaves and I need to trim them a bit.

You probably just need to tighten the bolt where they pivot.

Felco and Corona both make good hand pruners. You can get decent corona ones at most big box places. Felco or the fancier Japanese ones you’ll probably have to order.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jhet posted:

Are you not worried that they're going to vine all over all the other plants you have situated there?

This happens to me every loving time I vine. Carolina Jasmine is so pretty, but then it starts eating my japanese magnolia and spirea. My vinier roses just get all over loving everything. My long beans were about to take over my okra. Beware the vine!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Big camellia post-it’s prime camellia season right now and it’s so neat to see them doing great in otherwise neglected yards all around town. Japanese magnolias, red maples, and oriental cherries are all starting to bloom, so I guess it’s spring-ish now.

Here’s a frickin’ ‘uge camellia I saw around the corner. Not a great picture, but it’s like 20’ tall:

This is one of many camellias my great-grandfather bred. My great uncle air layered it for me last summer and it’s doing great. He couldn’t find the tag on the plant so nobody knows what it’s called, but the flowers are gigantic.

Someone remind me in June to air layer a bunch of poo poo.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Buy the deer an account

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Speleothing posted:

We bought a house and the yard is lined with Ailanthus altissima.

I want it dead and gone so we can plant native species that will actually block the view of the utility substation next door.

How do I kill it permanently?
Hack and squirt if they are bigger than a 2-3 inches in diameter. Cut and squirt the stump if they are small enough. Make sure you use concentrated glyphosate/roundup, not pre-mixed stuff.
https://extension.psu.edu/using-hack-and-squirt-herbicide-applications-to-control-unwanted-trees
Once they are dead, cut them down and cut and spray any new stump sprouts as they pop up. It's important when you cut something down to spray the exposed wood on the stump immediately.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Everything's coming out for a fresh start.
2 is Mahonia/oregon grape, 3 looks like Philadelphus/mock orange/english dogwood (does it have white flowers in spring?), 4 is buddleia for sure. 5 looks like some random small flowering fruit tree like a wild cherry or pear or other member of the Rose family, but I really don't know european trees well at all.

I'm with everyone else in thinking that they are small enough to not substantially affect the drainage, and if you are doing your testing or w/e now while they are dormant/cut down they shouldn't be sucking up much water and current conditions should be about representative of how things will be when they get removed.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jestery posted:

Houston, we have mycelium

Edit: additionally I'm growing some oyster mushrooms and oh boy are they aggressive

This is 3 days after spawn and 8 hours apart

That's really wild how fast they grow! How long until they fruit?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

El Mero Mero posted:

So my place (bay area, california) has an ancient wisteria vine in the front that I'm cool with.

I've gone ahead and murdered the other 4 that were growing around the house but I'm considering letting a little new shoot that I found in the back grow up and around my fence. Is this a terrible/horrible/no-good idea? I have v mixed feelings (and plenty of fears) about wisteria
The wisteria here is blooming now and I loving love it. Smells so good.

I'll hate it in 2 weeks.

Honestly it's not that hard to kill if you cut the vines and paint with undiluted roundup, especially if it's a youngish plant.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

There’s some nice native wisteria, especially the cultivar amethyst falls, much less vigorous and easy to control

I think they might play well together on the same trellis. The native one is really pretty and blooms later in summer and not mid-spring like the exotic wisteria. Some friends have the native one and I can’t remember if it is fragrant or not but it does have really pretty flowers.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Platystemon posted:

This last one I don’t see as a competitor to the others, but I want to give a shoutout to Apios americana as an underrated edible vine with nice flowers.

I’ve never tried growing those but have seen it in the woods and the flowers smell amazing. Closest thing to the smell of rosewood I’ve found that isn’t rosewood.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hirayuki posted:

Is it feasible to grow one of these beautiful vines on a container trellis in 6a? I'd be happy to bring it in at the end of the season.
The Apios americana/American groundnut is native to the entire eastern US and even southern canada and so should be fairly hardy.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Everyone always prefers the advice that is clear, simple, and wrong to the advice that is technical, complex, and correct.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Extra row of tits posted:

I brought my partner a single rose (pastel green) and the quality appears to be very bad to my untrained eye, before I go complaining I thought I’d ask people that know better than me.

The rose has a sticky brown fluid pooling in the centre that is not appealing and the petals don’t seem to be near the quality of other roses I have purchased in the past. Considering the size of the flower it seems to be quite a lot of fluid and I do not recall seeing this ever before.

I can post a photo if someone would kindly tell me how too.
Sticky brown fluid in the center doesn't seem good or normal. You can post a picture by uploading to somewhere like imgur and then copy/pasting the link to the image into the post.

E: this may help explain some BBcode things: https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=bbcode

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 2, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yeah that’s not how a rose is supposed to look (or smell!) and I’d ask for a refund or somethin

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

4 or 5 years ago I planted a bunch of red buckeye seeds I’d collected in the edges of the woods around my mom’s place and then forgot about them. This year they’re flowering and it’s reminded me why I love gardening. Spend 5 minutes doing a thing, ignore for 5 years, enjoy for the next 20+ years :unsmith:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Red buckeyes are fine but mine at home drops it’s leaves august 1st at latest and has grown incredibly slowly. My bottlebrush buckeye OTOH has grown really fast and makes way more flowers and blooms later in summer (late may/ June) when all the spring flowers are done and it stands out a bit more. It’s 3? years old and already has some little volunteers under it I need to pot up and move.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

Hah I forget how far north you are, our daffodils have already been spent for about a week now and are down to just foliage. Hell yeah on the new bed! Let ‘er rip
All the azaleas at home are about done but I’m visiting family ~100 miles north and they are in full bloom here and it’s like I’ve gone back in time 2 weeks. There are some nice old Easter lilies here that I think must be some kind of Rain lily/zephyranthes I need to ID and dig and take home.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

mediaphage posted:

help (not really) it’s taking over

please ignore the uh “thrifty” light diffuser that was supposed to be temporary and the bag of pork rinds i’m not sure why is on the shelf

Do you make those little burned plant picture things? That is very neat.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Between the banana shrub/Magnolia/Michelia figo, orange blossoms, old roses, and fig I mowed part of yesterday (smells like coconut or satinwood?) my yard smelled incredible this evening. The wind would shift and the smell would switch from banana to orangeflower to roses. That banana shrub has grown like crazy. I planted it as a 3 gal plant 4? years ago and it's at least 8' tall by now. Well drained old swamp bottomland dirt turns mediocre gardeners into great gardeners.

I've been reading this book by Felder Rushing and I'm really enjoying it and I think some folks in this thread would too. https://www.chelseagreen.com/product/slow-gardening/ It turns out what I've been doing in my yard over the past 7 years is what Felder calls Slow Gardening, the garden equivalent of the Slow Food movement. Go plant a bush or stick a birdbath out in the yard, then plant another bush, then decide it would be easier to mow if they were connected, so make a bed, and plant some more stuff in it. Realize you hate mowing but like having some grass to walk on, so make more things into connected beds and use the grass as a carpet/pathway. Tear up your front yard and plant a vegetable garden if you feel like it. Felder always does good, chill philosophizing, and this book seems to be more of that than his other books. It's got me ruminating on garden design and maybe I'll finally make a post about it and would love to read others' thoughts on that! I also got his new book about maverick gardeners but haven't had a chance to dig into it yet.

Plant pics for the plant thread-Some neighbors tore out their really lovely grandma yard last year (including some really nice camellias :catstare:) because they wanted lower maintenance and more room for kids to run around which I get, but it made me a little sad. They did have the good sense to save and give away the crinums and amaryllis and I snagged a few. A year later, there are some very erect and engorged plant sex organs happening in my yard. Please ignore the mess, I have been extremely lazy this winter/spring :
Crinum of some sort (very early-hope it multiplies):

P. sure these are red amaryllis/St. Joseph's day lily. I guess I'll find out tomorrow?

I think' I'm gonna start collecting Crinums and make the bed on the front corner of my house just be crinumtopia or somethin. There's a million varieties of them and they are tough as poo poo.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

If you’re able to, try growing some stuff outside in the ground. I kill houseplants at an alarming rate but I can grow all kinds of poo poo outside where nature does the watering

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Some of my roses seem to be struggling so I think I'm gonna move them to the back yard and expand my zinnia/plumbago/phlox zone into full on pollinator/butterfly garden. I have some native perennial sunflowers someone gave me to stick in there-what else should I be planting? At least for this year, preferably things that grow easy from scattered seed and can handle a hot, wet summer. Might get into some perennials next yr when I have more time to plan.

Might also just leave it as a 15x15 blob of zinnias, I dunno.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

Oh Kaiser, meant to ask since you’re a rose guy: do you have any idea what cultivar that crazy $50 green rose might’ve been?
No I really don’t know anything about hybrid tea roses. Old fashioned roses are all I know anything about because I’m lazy and they’re easy (theoretically).

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I. M. Gei posted:

So I just watched a bigass limb from a tree in our neighbor’s yard fall on our house. Thankfully it doesn’t look to have done any damage, but I’m a little worried that another limb might come down and leave a hole in our roof.

What is the protocol here, besides getting photos of the downed limb? Do we tell the neighbor to call a pruning service, or is this one of those things we can call the city about and let them handle it? The limb is resting on a power line a little bit, so...... okay yeah deffo gonna call the city. I think I answered my own question.

(btw Kaiser Schnitzel told me I could post here again as of April 6th)

Tree Law is like a whole messy thing, but basically and very generally, pretend your property line goes straight up and any part of that tree that's on your side of the line is basically your problem and your responsibility and you can cut it off unless it would kill the tree. If you think parts of the tree that are on your neighbor's property are a danger, write them a letter saying that and if it falls on your house maybe you can sue them or their insurance or something. If it's touching a power line, call the power company. Depending on what power line it's touching, it may be your responsibility-some places the line from the pole to your house is your problem, some places it's the power company's problem. Unless the tree is in a city right of way, I don't think they're going to be much help.

It's worth talking to your neighbor about-if you're gonna chop of a big chunk off it on your side of the line, they might rather take the whole thing down and split the cost or something.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

What else could be causing it?

Moss grows best on compacted, acidic soil, so if you have a lot of moss growing in an area, it’s a good sign that the soil is pretty compacted and relatively acidic. Whatever you do, work up the dirt a little to help with the compaction.

Mulch it and plant some azaleas/rhododendrons would be my idea. They love shade and acidic soil.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ok Comboomer posted:

so there’s colocasia bulbs for sale all over my area

Anybody grow one of these giant beauties? Anybody keep them indoors in winter?

Mine get like 8’ tall in my yard if we don’t get a freeze in the winter and 6’ if we do.
E: from a year or so ago when we didn’t get a hard freeze:

No idea about growing them inside. They like it hot and wet and medium/bright shade outside. Caladiums are good for deeper shade.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 13, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The flowers look like a giant whale dick or something

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It and all the trees around it looked like water oaks and they are famously unhealthy. 25 years growing and the next 25 years slowly dying.

E: The only good water oak is a dead water oak (or it’s very close relative the willow oak which seems to be an altogether superior tree). They’re the king of trash trees in the SE. Water oaks are probably the fastest growing oak in the world and if they didn’t die so fast and have so many flaws and hollow out they could be an incredible timber tree. I cut two out of my (admittedly prime bottomland) yard that were 15” DBh and 22 years old. I thought they were 50 before they cut them. Growth rings more than an inch apart some years, and easily 50’ tall. They are great firewood/woodlot trees and I have wondered if they could be coppiced or something. My other genius idea recently was to turn privet into English hedgerows. I have no idea the Southeast needs hedgerows, but I think privet would be great for it, with water oaks and green ash growing up in between.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 15, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What's funny about privet in the southeast is that it's super invasive and naturally forms a messy boundary of sorts between most rural properties. I'm sure if you maintained it it would be much prettier though.

Yeah this + whatever show I was watching about Ye Olde English Farme made me think about it. We don’t really have the hazel? Or whatever gets used for hedgerows in Europe but we sure have privet. Maybe yaupon or wax myrtle would work as native options? Weave a little devils walking stick in for extra fun. Honestly I think any attempt at making a hedgerow in the SE would be abandoned after it got completely choked by blackberry and greenbriar and would murder anyone who tried to clean it up.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Actually this reminds me of a similar idea I had. Eastern red cedar grows thick like that along fences and roads, and it really encloses an area when it's old. It's definitely not a hedge, but it's close to our equivalent. If I ever have a long driveway I want to line it with cedar.
I see them like that around family cemeteries at old plantation houses alot. There was a big preference for evergreens in cemeteries anyway, and they grow so well even on poor upland red clay soil (where the house, and usually cemetery are). It feels like you're in a little room if you go in the graveyard and hides the graves from everyday sight. Big mature cedars or magnolias are always a good sign that that This Is An Old House. Sometimes in the woods around here you happen upon a little patch of chinaberry, black locust, wisteria, and maybe a few spider lilies or crinums and it always means it's an old abandoned house site, and don't fall down the well. The rural south used to have waaaaaaay more people in it.

It's neat to me when the plants are all that's left of that history, happily thriving 80 or 100 years after all the people left.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I watch all kinds of weird British crap and have an Acorn TV subscription on prime and Monty Don’s ‘The Secret History of the British Garden’ is on there and it’s really good. I just watched the one on the 17th century and it was cool. Very neat to see reconstructions of how a garden looked in 1690 (weird af with tiny pyramid topiaries EVERYWHERE) vs. how a garden planted in 1690 looks 300 years later.

‘Gardeners World’ is on Britbox too and I guess that’s what I’m watching for the next month.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Wallet posted:

Completely unrelated: You were talking about making an effort-post about garden design, and I have been wondering lately what people's general feelings on rocks in gardens are. I have a gravel/rock garden that has always had some larger stone in it, but I recently built a dry-stack retaining wall and I've been distributing some of the remnants of the three pallets of stone used for it in a bunch of the gardens and I'm finding that I'm a big fan of some nicely placed rock in among the plants to add texture.

Now I just need to make friends with someone that has construction equipment so I can find somewhere to steal some child-sized boulders to finish it off.
I was out of town and missed this but I really love big rocks in the garden, or even concrete and old bricks. It’s a nice place for lizards to hang out and lichens and mosses to grow and I do think it adds some nice textural variety. I think they can be real focal points too like a bird bath or just a Boulder that your eye can linger and focus on amidst all the plant chaos. We don’t really have native rocks here so I don’t have many but I think a few cool funky pavers or a concrete bench or something can do the same thing. I think a wall can add a ton of structure and really define the shape of a space and I wish I had a mossy, fig-vine-covered old brick wall around my yard instead of wooden fencing.

A friend of mine has a concrete rubble wall that he has all kinds of succulents and herbs tucked into little cracks of and it’s very neat, and there’s neon green moss on the shady parts. It’s like a mini rock garden within their not at all rocky, tropical Née Orleansy garden. He gets stoned and stares at all the tiny plants for hours, and it is one of those places where the closer you get, the more different kinds of tiny things you see. Spiderwebs and ants and lizards and all different color lichens. You don’t need a big space to have tons of variety!

Big ole rocks are neater to look at though and have so much funky variation. When they are local stones I think they add some terroir too. A big hunk of granite says ‘New England’ and some sandstone says ‘Tennessee’ or whatever. And those are some of my thoughts about rocks in the garden!

I went to Bayou Bend in Houston this weekend and it has some really neat gardens. They were a wreck from the freeze, but the way it was designed (slowly, and organically over many years) is really neat and it works as a bunch of different ‘rooms’ that are very pleasant to stroll through. I hope to go back in a few years in early spring when the azaleas and camellias have recovered a bit and are blooming. The Rienzi across the bayou also had some neat and similarly designed gardens-very shady and tropical looking. Houston is not the massive sun-baked hellswamp I always think it is and there’s some really nice gardens there.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I wish the US had a gardening culture more like Britain's.

I think TV and air conditioning have alot to do with it. The KIDSADULTS THESE DAYS would rather go hang out at a bar all afternoon instead of playing in the dirt. Coupled with more and more younger people renting instead of owning houses etc etc. Felder Rushing is always trying to get people to get their kids gardening and I think that's important-I used to help my dad put in sprinklers and stuff and I think it made me like playing in the dirt. I think more and more millenials are interested in gardening, but I see much more interest in veg. gardening that ornamental. The 'eat local' movement got alot of people wanting to grow their own foods, but not as interested in growing pretty flowers, and gardening takes years and years-it's not instant gratification.

It's definitely a local thing too. Louisiana for whatever reason seems to have tons of great and interested gardeners of all ages. I think more people would like to garden than actually do but they don't know where to start and grass is pretty low-knowledge to maintain (and easy to hire out). The youtube about how to nail 2x4's is the same if you live in New England or Florida, but gardening advice isn't nearly so universal and finding good resources for XYZ local area can be intimidating.

We should make a list of good resources for XYZ area!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I've had good experiences with this place for bulbs and they have alot of varieties that are good for the south. I think I got all my ginger lilies from them too, and I got a ton of daylilies.
http://www.marysgardenpatch.com/

And the Antique Rose Emporium's catalog is the bible of old roses:
https://antiqueroseemporium.com/

David Austen Roses are also great, and their catalog is rose pornography:
https://www.davidaustinroses.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Wallet posted:

How do you keep them from devouring everything and leaving only daylily in their wake? When I got this property the only thing planted other than buxus and those awful dwarf ornamental conifers they put in mall parking lots were daylilies but after spending a couple of days pulling them in mass from a garden bed that was literally three spindly lilacs in a sea of identical daylilies I'm a bit leery of letting them back in the garden.

The orange tawny daylilies can be super aggressive and have choked out most everything else in their little area, but most of my other varieties seem to slowly clump and not make a big mess. They might be much happier in your climate or something. I keep meaning to get rid of the orange ones, but every year I say 'well, let's at least let them bloom; and then it's summer and hot and I forget about them until next spring when I say 'well, let's just let them bloom.'