Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

So 2020 was a tough year by all accounts, and I doubt the changing of a 0 to a 1 is going to make things better anytime soon. With that in mind I wanted to do the resolutions in a different way this year.

For the year 2021 there is no punishment for failing your anime resolution. You don't need to entertain anyone to drop out, you don't need to justify it. If you don't think you're going to achieve all of your goal, just say so!

Instead, I'm going to be rewarding success. The three people who succeed at the most ambitious resolutions will receive either a $10 forums upgrade of their choice, or I will donate £10 to a charity of their choosing. I've not quite decided how I'm going to judge ambition yet, it'll either be done by the mods or I'll run a poll, but that's the vision. Sorry I can't reward everyone's success but I only have so much money.

As ever the resolutions can be whatever you want. People have thus far been trustworthy so we don't need to post evidence of achievement, but updates on things you watched etc are always welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Will I collect resolutions in this post this year????

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'm going to finally finish symphogear because I've been saying that for years now but more importantly I am going to design my own vtuber avatar and either stream with a placeholder of it or with the actual avatar itself depending on my potential mama.

Also I think we've saved this marriage so good job team.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

everythingWasBees posted:

I'm going to finally finish symphogear because I've been saying that for years now but more importantly I am going to design my own vtuber avatar and either stream with a placeholder of it or with the actual avatar itself depending on my potential mama.

:unsmith:

I'll post my resolutions later this week.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I'm gonna finish Ever17. Also if people name a bunch of anime I'll do that thing where I put them on a list and watch them next year.

I am also more than willing to go down in a blaze of glory regardless of what hell 2021 has in store, so I'm gonna at least try to :toxx: regardless, and dare anyone to not enforce it.

E: In the absence of anything else, I’ll commit to also finally playing through fate/stay night I guess

E2: also AI: The Somnium Files, since I just bought it on a whim

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 2, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'll read 40 visual novels, beat 5 jrpgs and srpgs, read 20 manga, and watch 20 anime from before 2013

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The Colonel posted:

i'll read 40 visual novels, beat 5 jrpgs and srpgs, read 20 manga, and watch 20 anime from before 2013

is there even enough time in a year to read 40 visual novels?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

very small ren'py VNs

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Visual Novellas

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Colonel posted:

Namtab posted:

The three people who succeed at the most ambitious resolutions...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm not setting out to win any awards i'm setting out to become stronger

also at a slow pace i managed to read more than 10 vns that were each 10 hours or longer in the past year even after reading all of higurashi and umineko so i believe in my own power. i even crawled thoruhg galaxy fraulein yuna, a game i could barely read and at times just really couldn't read

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think I'll do something similar for '21 and go through my backlog of partially-watched shows and find more things I'd like to finish. I still have the bonus list and that structure worked fairly well, having [X shows I commit to watching] + [X shows that are alternates] I could swap in.

My internet situation has really hindered me a lot from watching more stuff, because I'd be in the mood to watch something only to get discouraged because I couldn't get the stream to run smoothly. Because of that, I'm going to expand beyond just my CR queue and throw in some shows I can watch offline.

Watch List - 5 shows from my backlog that I commit to finishing in no particular order
Noragami Aragoto 3/13
Gurazeni 3/24
Sirius the Jaeger
Poco's Udon World
Chihayafuru s3 14/24

Bonus List - If I finish those 5 before the end of the year I'll work on this list, and if for some reason I bail on finishing one of the 5 on the watch list I'll replace it with one of these
Tiger & Bunny 1/25
Mouryou no Hako 2/13
RobiHachi 2/12
Stars Align
Golden Kamuy s3

I went w/5 shows instead of 6 this time because even though I've already watched a few episodes of some of these it's been so long I'd need to rewatch them from the beginning, plus most of them are longer than 12 eps.

I'm also going to make an effort to catch up on some 2020 shows and keep up with more seasonal stuff this year instead of growing an even bigger backlog but rather than list any specific shows up front I'll list all the extra ones from 20-21 I manage to finish by the end of the year so give me bonus points if I actually do this Namtab

Finished shows:
SK8 the Infinity
2.43: Seiin High School Boys Volleyball Team
Heaven Official's Blessing
The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent
Mo Dao Zu Shi S1 & S2 (not from this year but S3 is and I'm catching up)
Tian Bao Fuyao Lu / Legend of Exorcism S1
Fugou Keiji
The Defective

e: added a completed episode count to keep track since I keep watching 1 ep here and there.
I've done well on actually watching current stuff and finishing it but am not making much progress on my backlog.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 2, 2021

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

My resolution will be to finish Umineko Chapters 4-8. I'm enjoying the story and I think I've got a lot of good working theories, I'm just not great at sitting at my computer to read the story.

Ambition is the key, so I'm also commiting to Tsukihime.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

everythingWasBees posted:

:toot:

Julias posted:

:unsmith:

I'll post my resolutions later this week.

:same:

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

my toxx, my ambition, and my punishment are all the same thing: whoever has already posted or plans to post in this thread, provide a recommendation and i will watch it entirely unless i have already seen it and dont want to again in which case, give me a new one. recommend the worst poo poo imaginable. recommend niche things you think no one would ever dare bother watching so you finally have a friend to talk about your special interest with. recommend something that should just get a bit more love. recommend something you already somehow know i love and will want to watch again. i dont care. i will maintain a list in this post and update it as i go, and post in the thread thoughts when i finish things.

i hope everyone has a better year this go around. i love anime and i love you.

list so far:
Cardcaptor Sakura (im watching the dub because i have nostalgia for it gently caress you)
Monster
Concrete Revolutio
House Of Five Leaves
Cross Ange
Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok
Gundam SEED
Gundam SEED Destiny

Paper Lion fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 3, 2021

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Paper Lion posted:

my toxx, my ambition, and my punishment are all the same thing: whoever has already posted or plans to post in this thread, provide a recommendation and i will watch it entirely unless i have already seen it and dont want to again in which case, give me a new one. recommend the worst poo poo imaginable. recommend niche things you think no one would ever dare bother watching so you finally have a friend to talk about your special interest with. recommend something that should just get a bit more love. recommend something you already somehow know i love and will want to watch again. i dont care. i will maintain a list in this post and update it as i go, and post in the thread thoughts when i finish things.

Cardcaptor Sakura, an anime everyone should watch at least once.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I have really fallen off from watching new anime for the past couple of years. I'm going to catch up on some of the standouts from 2019-2020 and also get around to finishing a bunch of series that I actually loved, but dropped partway through for one reason or another.

I'm interested in recommendations on newer stuff, but be aware that I really don't like most mainstream genres like sports, shounen action, or idols. I should probably get around to setting up a myanimelist account to keep track, but if people need guidance, I can post a list of stuff I've bought on DVD as an example of things that stuck with me enough to want to own them.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Paper Lion posted:

i love anime and i love you.

Watch Monster. So good.

In fact, that will be my resolution. I need to rewatch Monster. Also, LoGH. I still haven't gotten past episode 4 of that show, and I need to break that now that I have two weeks of COVID isolation coming up. Travel requirement. I don't actually have COVID.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nipponophile posted:

I have really fallen off from watching new anime for the past couple of years. I'm going to catch up on some of the standouts from 2019-2020 and also get around to finishing a bunch of series that I actually loved, but dropped partway through for one reason or another.

I'm interested in recommendations on newer stuff, but be aware that I really don't like most mainstream genres like sports, shounen action, or idols. I should probably get around to setting up a myanimelist account to keep track, but if people need guidance, I can post a list of stuff I've bought on DVD as an example of things that stuck with me enough to want to own them.

akudama drive is really good

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Imma continue my Gundam-athon, but this time focusing on non-UC stuff.

G Gundam
Gundam Wing
Build Fighters
IBO

And just for Bees:

IGLOO

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 15, 2021

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

The Colonel posted:

akudama drive is really good

I'm actually most of the way through with that and will probably finish today or tomorrow. I started it this week after reading the many comments in the seasonal thread about how well it ended. It's been very good so far.

Ibblebibble posted:

G Gundam
Gundam Wing

If you're doing these, you gotta watch Gundam X. Complete the trilogy.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Nipponophile posted:

I'm actually most of the way through with that and will probably finish today or tomorrow. I started it this week after reading the many comments in the seasonal thread about how well it ended. It's been very good so far.

If you're doing these, you gotta watch Gundam X. Complete the trilogy.

Will see how it looks after I finish the 5 on my list. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
My resolution is to complete my non-Build/non-SD Gundam franchise watch in 2021.

Watched or Rewatched in 2020:

Mobile Suit Gundam
Zeta Gundam
Gundam 0080
Gundam 0083
Char's Counter Attack
Gundam The Origin
Gundam F91
Turn A Gundam
Victory Gundam
Gundam 00

What I need to watch or rewatch in 2021:

Gundam ZZ
08th Ms Team
G-Reco
G Gundam
Gundam Seed and Seed Destiny
Gundam Unicorn
Gundam AGE
Gundam X
Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans
Gundam Wing

IBO is more to finish the series since I watched season when it aired but I didn't get too far in to season 2 when real life and other stuff made it hard for me to watch anything. I know AGE is really bad but I think the Seed is going to be the harder one to fully complete.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

G Gundam
Gundam Wing
Build Fighters
IBO

And just for Bees:

IGLOO

ty!!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

My resolution is to complete my non-Build/non-SD Gundam franchise watch in 2021.

Watched or Rewatched in 2020:

Mobile Suit Gundam
Zeta Gundam
Gundam 0080
Gundam 0083
Char's Counter Attack
Gundam The Origin
Gundam F91
Turn A Gundam
Victory Gundam
Gundam 00

What I need to watch or rewatch in 2021:

Gundam ZZ
08th Ms Team
G-Reco
G Gundam
Gundam Seed and Seed Destiny
Gundam Unicorn
Gundam AGE
Gundam X
Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans
Gundam Wing

IBO is more to finish the series since I watched season when it aired but I didn't get too far in to season 2 when real life and other stuff made it hard for me to watch anything. I know AGE is really bad but I think the Seed is going to be the harder one to fully complete.

you also forgot igloo

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Probably for the best not to watch IBO season 2 then anyway. It can get a bit rough emotionally.

And yeah, I think SEED will be rougher, not because of quality (although it IS terrible) but because of pacing. AGE has a surprising amount of wasted time, but the 3 generations structure means it can't go too many episodes without something happening. SEED, meanwhile, needs a quarter of the series to cover something the original Gundam did in five episodes.

It's amazing how much of a slog it is.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

chiasaur11 posted:

Probably for the best not to watch IBO season 2 then anyway. It can get a bit rough emotionally.

And yeah, I think SEED will be rougher, not because of quality (although it IS terrible) but because of pacing. AGE has a surprising amount of wasted time, but the 3 generations structure means it can't go too many episodes without something happening. SEED, meanwhile, needs a quarter of the series to cover something the original Gundam did in five episodes.

It's amazing how much of a slog it is.

I'm pretty spoiled for IBO season 2 so I'm a lot more prepared for it now than when it first aired. I'm good with most emotionally rough series too. At least it'll be better than my first 00 rewatch a while ago (not last year) when I forgot about major character deaths.

For me the pacing and the art for Seed has always been top barrier to a full rewatch of Seed or finishing Destiny. I've also forgotten a lot of the plot or character moments outside of things like Kira's whale crying and the whole sex scene with Flay and her brand of crazy.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
i will actually watch the anime in my crunchyroll queue instead of just re-watching one piece again

this may take some time...

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Not strictly anime but I will make more robot youtube videos, and I want the first one out in february, with them continuing at least monthly after that.

Paper Lion posted:

list so far:
Cardcaptor Sakura (im watching the dub because i have nostalgia for it gently caress you)
Monster

watch Concrete Revolutio.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
House of Five Leaves

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Paper Lion posted:

list so far:
Monster

you get MS igloo too
both one and two but like they're 9 episodes total between them both so that counts as a single series

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

im a gundam sperg and have seen all of it and am kind of not in the mood. the only exception is i will mutually toxx with any SEED or SEED Destiny people if they make that their pick for me as well, because misery needs company. or Turn A because it rules and I havent seen it in a decade

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Paper Lion posted:

im a gundam sperg and have seen all of it and am kind of not in the mood. the only exception is i will mutually toxx with any SEED or SEED Destiny people if they make that their pick for me as well, because misery needs company. or Turn A because it rules and I havent seen it in a decade

Turn A is actually one of the series I was thinking about when I mentioned shows I really liked but never finished. I got about halfway through it 7 or 8 years ago, then fell off for some reason. I definitely plan to try to rewatch it this year. Watch along with me, or don't, no big deal either way.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
My resolution is to finally finish the FMP light novels after starting to read them way over a decade ago from horrible fan translations that modern Google translate would probably put to shame. I found out in 2020 that the novels are finally getting 100% translated. I just completed a re-watch of Full Metal Panic, Fumuffu, Second Raid, and Invisible Victory and am ready to see the ending.

I already started reading the first light novel and I think by the end of the year the last light novel should be translated.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I need someone to pick a number between 1 and 4 to up my ambition. Each number refers to a box of anime dvds except for one of them which is also dvds but i dont have a box for them yet. Whichever number is picked, i will watch this year.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

im assuming you want me to watch k-on namtab

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Im going to make you watch cross ange

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ok so box 4 contains:
Love, election and chocolate
The gurren lagaan movies
Princess arete
Patlabor season 1
The persona 3 movies
Ouran High School Host Club
Bodacious Space Pirates
Mobile Suit Gundam
Panty and Stocking
Ajin Season 1
Samurai Flamenco
Noein (Twice for some reason)
High School of the Dead
Invaders of the Rokujyoma
Ghost in the shell movie 1,2, SAC
First Squad
The Sky Crawlers
Toradora
Jojo season 1
Gankutsouo
Full Metal Panic S1-3
Martian Successor Nadesico
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Erased
Black Butler Season 2
No Game No Life

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

Patlabor season 1

What does this mean? Patlabor isn't divided into seasons.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Paper Lion posted:

mythical detective loki ragnarok then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Droyer posted:

What does this mean? Patlabor isn't divided into seasons.

The first lot of ovas