Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

lmao thank you :allears: I love him so much. I found him outside work with a drooping wing during a brief respite in some week-long bad weather, and took him home so I could give him just a couple days of rest and shelter before letting him go again near where I had found him. This was my true and honest intention. However Pigeon took immediately to being a house pigeon, and I took to having a house pigeon, and well, no regrets, here is where we are, a house pigeon and a house pigeon haver.

There's a lot to read in mythology and spirituality about doves and their sudden appearances, but a lot of it is much too grandiose for me and so I think sometimes a pigeon can only be a pigeon. All I know for sure is he is sweet and soft and cuddly and I love him.

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 18:41 on Apr 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

relevant to Mr. King James being mad about witches

Magic: A Problem in Semantics posted:

The power of spiritual beings reflects the authority of other people. (Whether this is the authority of the clan as Durkheim had it or that of the father in the Freudian view is here immaterial.) Magical power reflects the capabilities of the self, and mana, the dynamic forces of the physical universe. Man's ability to acquire skills and use them to shape his world is thus projected as one of the universal superordinate powers. The traditional hostility between deistic belief and magical belief is understandable. An ideology that holds man to be wholly dependent on powerful gods must view a conception of man as one of the ruling forces in the cosmos as hubris of a most literal and damnable kind.

Erwin R. Goodenough, discussing the persistence of magical practices in Judaism, writes that religious symbols "originally of direct and inherent power ... have gradually been made to refer in addition to more remote spiritual forces" (1953:160). The use of the adjective "remote" is highly suggestive. In small-scale societies, effective action is performed by the self and by familiar others. In large-scale societies, the exercise of power by distant authorities or even unknown agents may provide the source for the projection of "remote spiritual forces." But the immediacies are never wholly superseded, and even those religions that place most weight on a transcendent omnipotent deity retain practices expressing the projection of the immediate.

[...]

Just as prayer and sacrifice express the belief that the universe is governed by personified beings whom one can reach by words and gifts, so magical practices express the belief in human powers as effective forces. The use of such practices in rituals addressed to the gods is not a discordant intrusion of magic into religion. The composite ritual states that the gods do not rule alone; their will and power are accompanied by the will and power of men.

Examination of the concept indicates that the distinction between magic and religion, whether phrased as dichotomy or polarity, is unwarranted. Magic is not an entity distinct from religion but a form of ritual behavior and thus an element of religion. That the distinction has led only to confusion supports the judgment that the abstraction is based on misinterpretation. It has not only falsified the relation between religion and magic, and led to obscurantism concerning magic, but it has also given rise to a truncated concept of religion as a whole. The cosmological concepts inherent in religions are more complex than belief in spiritual beings only. Because the index of "belief in superhuman beings" recognizes only one aspect of religion, it seems preferable to substitute the definition that religion entails belief in superordinate agencies.

even when hating magic actually is about hating women, it is also still very much about religion, and power, and keeping that religious power squarely in the hands of those already holding it.

Magic, on the other hand, and the practice thereof seems to be inherently anti-establishment. And we all know who else was famously anti-establishment, right Ohtori

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

acts of Gord

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

BONGHITZ posted:

acts of Gord

did we change the spiritual nature of jacks o lantern when we started making them from gourds instead of turnips

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

lmao thank you :allears: I love him so much. I found him outside work with a drooping wing during a brief respite in some week-long bad weather, and took him home so I could give him just a couple days of rest and shelter before letting him go again near where I had found him. This was my true and honest intention. However Pigeon took immediately to being a house pigeon, and I took to having a house pigeon, and well, no regrets, here is where we are, a house pigeon and a house pigeon haver.

There's a lot to read in mythology and spirituality about doves and their sudden appearances, but a lot of it is much too grandiose for me and so I think sometimes a pigeon can only be a pigeon. All I know for sure is he is sweet and soft and cuddly and I love him.
Sometimes that's all you need. :lovebird: I believe he's also magic though, 100%.

BONGHITZ posted:

acts of Gord
Does anyone else remember the website that had that title? I think it was about some guy's "poo poo that didn't happen" stories from working in a video rental store?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Squizzle posted:

did we change the spiritual nature of jacks o lantern when we started making them from gourds instead of turnips

Almost certainly. Does anyone give a poo poo about turnips anymore? When was the last time anyone ate a turnip?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Almost certainly. Does anyone give a poo poo about turnips anymore? When was the last time anyone ate a turnip?

im eating one right now

just pulled it outta the dirt like luigi and chomping down like a apple

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I always played Peach, she was best to play and dressed great, though Luigi and Toad are best for specific stages

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
turnips are real good I grow them every year, sometimes twice a year just try em

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

radishes are good but i don't think i've ever had a turnip i'll have to buy some, never have luck with root vegetables growing. i'm trying lots of basils and tiny tomatoes this year they're doing okay.

been trying to spend as much time working in gardens as possible before it gets too hot outside but i think i have adapted to move on plant time now my thoughts are moving slower than ever lol. trying to label stuff better cause i always start like ten different varieties of plants and the forget what type they are if/once they start sprouting. i'm using an old vertical blinds to make little tags for seedlings and can fit 5 or so names on a section before cutting it up. so writing the name down 5 times in a row feels like a chant or a spell to summon the plants spirit in addition to helping me remember what they're called later. good handwriting practice too cause you want it to be readable later after it's been exposed to the elements for a while. also noticed when sweeping it sounds nicer to have a little rhythm of like 3 or 4 small sweeps to collect dust into a pile and then a big sweep to brush it away. swept up an area around a fire pit like that and got sort of a witchy vibe.

visiting family the other day they were doing a crossword puzzle and the clue was female demon and the answer was lamia? i don't pay attention to greek/roman stuff so hadn't heard of that i guess its some greek thing a half serpent lady that smells bad and eats children? imagine..

the description has some similarities to lilith but also the name sounds like lama/lamassu a bit too. if lamassu are protective gods this sounds like they were trying to scare ppl away from individual god/desses to their comic book rear end buff dude pantheon.

The Babylonians: An Introduction - Gwendolyn Leick posted:

Of course the prebend system allowed at least some members of the public to participate to a greater or smaller extent in liturgical ceremonies at the temple but ordinary citizens did not need to get involved since their devotions seem to have been primarily addressed to their ‘personal gods’ (ilum but also referred to as lamassu or ˇsedu) in a private setting. In Old Babylonian Ur houses Leonard Woolley discovered niches and similar arrangements which he identified as private altars, as well as figurines which possibly represented deities.39 Literary prayers from this period also stress the attachment to ‘one’s (own) god’ (ilum). The personal god was not one of the great gods of the Babylonian pantheon, not even the god invoked in one’s personal name, but a protective supernatural guiding spirit who like a guardian angel (the customary translation of lamassu) guided his protégé through life, protected him (or her) from harm and interceded for him with the celestial deities. Since one’s ‘own god’ was thought to be intimately associated with the person, any illness or misfortune he experienced as the result of malevolent influences or of ‘sin’ also affected his god.40 In order to re-establish the vitality of both god and human being, a ritual known as ‘Mouth Washing’ could be performed.41 This consisted of two parts: first, the revitalisation of the personal god who was reborn through the symbolic enactment of a birth-process; and thereafter that of the human subject who was placed in a sort of magical cage indicated by lines drawn with flour and washed with various substances. A portable stove was also used into which the officiant threw seven images. Incantations are spoken throughout, and the afflicted had to be ‘judged’ before he was free to leave the cage, cleansed with incense, and waved over with a flaming torch. In this manner the proper relationship between the person and the god was re-established. What is not made explicit in this text, and indeed in many similar ritual instructions, is where this ritual was to take place, whether it had to be performed in a temple or a private house for instance.

reenactment of birth processes, or morning routine of putting some items on the stove for breakfast and hopping in the cleanliness cage (shower) to smell nice and dry off before going to work. you be the judge!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
that's one cool pigeon

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Echidna and Typhon are the real classical power couple

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

tiamat/apsu

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

been trying to spend as much time working in gardens as possible before it gets too hot outside but i think i have adapted to move on plant time now my thoughts are moving slower than ever lol. trying to label stuff better cause i always start like ten different varieties of plants and the forget what type they are if/once they start sprouting. i'm using an old vertical blinds to make little tags for seedlings and can fit 5 or so names on a section before cutting it up. so writing the name down 5 times in a row feels like a chant or a spell to summon the plants spirit in addition to helping me remember what they're called later. good handwriting practice too cause you want it to be readable later after it's been exposed to the elements for a while. also noticed when sweeping it sounds nicer to have a little rhythm of like 3 or 4 small sweeps to collect dust into a pile and then a big sweep to brush it away. swept up an area around a fire pit like that and got sort of a witchy vibe.

You are channeling new life! :)

I would be interested in any other mentions of personal Gods in the book you're reading, if you don't mind sharing them. I do believe in a person having a patron Deity or Deities, but since it's an idea much more relevant in explicitly polytheistic ontology than in philosophy or monotheistic theology it's one of the things I don't always encounter in my reading material. I feel like Tillich gestures quite frequently to the fact there is an ontological concept of a personal God, which is different from the Ultimate God, especially when he starts calling the latter things like "God above the God of theism" in his later work; in Christianity of course the Logos as the Christ taking on the role of every Christian's personal God; but I am not wholly certain this is valid and/or counts

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

that's one cool pigeon

he thank you :buddy:

and you too Orbs, for that matter :)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty sure most rock doves are descended from feral populations of domestic pigeons, so it shouldn't be surprised so many take to being domesticated so quickly.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure most rock doves are descended from feral populations of domestic pigeons, so it shouldn't be surprised so many take to being domesticated so quickly.

it's really sad that we abandoned our little buddies as soon as we invented the phone

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ6rDazfazc

e: full song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf0poQI8wSo

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 22:23 on Apr 29, 2024

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's really sad that we abandoned our little buddies as soon as we invented the phone

i give it up for any animal that thrives off our garbage and environments - rats, pigeons, raccoons, coyotes, etc. pigeons just have a bittersweet story behind it.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
seems apropos for the thread: here's an overview i just published of all 52 chapters of a random brad steiger book on astral projection from 1974:
https://paperbackgods.blogspot.com/2024/04/psychic-travel-by-christopher-dane.html

if you want to see how the classic paranormal sausage was made, steiger bundles in references from fate magazine, the national enquirer, the journal of the society for psychical research, some sex tabloid, his own imagination, and elsewhere. 20 of 52 chapters are completely unsourced. he doesn't do much in the way of analysis or original research but he does quote himself, brad steiger, while he's writing under his dane pseudonym.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Orbs posted:

Does anyone else remember the website that had that title? I think it was about some guy's "poo poo that didn't happen" stories from working in a video rental store?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=235

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

You are channeling new life! :)

I would be interested in any other mentions of personal Gods in the book you're reading, if you don't mind sharing them. I do believe in a person having a patron Deity or Deities, but since it's an idea much more relevant in explicitly polytheistic ontology than in philosophy or monotheistic theology it's one of the things I don't always encounter in my reading material. I feel like Tillich gestures quite frequently to the fact there is an ontological concept of a personal God, which is different from the Ultimate God, especially when he starts calling the latter things like "God above the God of theism" in his later work; in Christianity of course the Logos as the Christ taking on the role of every Christian's personal God; but I am not wholly certain this is valid and/or counts

i think the personal gods can be messengers between you and the other gods so that seems like a valid reading but idk!

here's a link to that full chapter from that babylonians book it's pretty short
https://books.google.com/books?id=9BPh8lh1fFEC&lpg=PR4&pg=PA113#v=onepage&q&f=false

kramer also mentions the "man and his god"/"i will praise the lord of wisdom" tablets and their similarities to the book of job as examples of personal god stuff in "the sumerians" 1963
https://isac.uchicago.edu/research/publications/misc/sumerians-their-history-culture-and-character

and this is a neat reddit post about the akkadian ilū rēši "gods of the head" a pair of personal gods each person has assigned at their birth, and the lamassu protective winged bulls that represent constellations and are placed at the entrances to buildings to protect life within. it's pretty confusing and searching for ilū rēši / ilū rēshi dosen't get many results so i'm not sure how to find out more about this but seems like some early astrology ideas.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sumer/comments/e8zcnk/shedu_lamassu/ posted:

As guardians, the bull-colossi and lion-sphinxes are subservient to the Anunnakkū and Igigū—Mesopotamia’s premier deities—and surviving textual references from the Ur-III period indicate that the goddess Inana possessed a special 𒈨 [ME = me: cosmic ordinance] for assigning them.
If I had to guess, the reason that some humans have a lamassu is because of Inana. As the giver of lamassu, and the namesake of the personal goddess, ištaru, it's possible both concepts became conflated, leading scribes to think that the lamassu Inana bestowed were the same as the personal goddesses assigned to them at birth.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Heh, gotta admit that first made me thought of the 'guardian angel' mythology and even the shoulder angel/devil things. A lot of those ideas seem to be pretty universal, or at least don't die easily, as they make good symbology. Humans are quite the hoarders for interesting ideas.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Thanks so much Charlatan! I poked that reddit link to start with and then really enjoyed some of the "related topics" it served up

heart warming

I want to strengthen my relationship with Inanna posted:

Ever since she claimed me, my life has improved significantly. She's cured my social anxiety and people have been treating me better. Also blessed me with beauty. Usually I invoke her by chanting the "Exaltation of Inanna" poem and offering her medjool dates, libation, and incense. I've bought books about her to educate myself. I wear her Venus symbol and a lapis lazuli ring. I want to do more for this lovely Goddess, whom I consider my patron. I promised myself that once I move out (unsupportive home), I will dedicate a beautiful altar to her.

less heart warming

Odd dream (with Ishtar?) posted:

Hi there!

Want to start by saying I have very little knowledge on Mesopotamian religion but I recently had a very odd occurrence and have a few questions. Warning: NSFW.

I had a dream last night where I was aware of dreaming, aware of being in my bed, but felt like I was in an alternate space. I had felt a presence and was afraid at first so I brought my blanket over myself to "hide". Then (and i literally have no idea this was so odd) I felt something sucking on my thumb? I was holding my blanket over my head in such a way where my thumb was sticking out. Oddly, this made me react in a way where I thought "Oh, there's nothing to be afraid of." So I removed my blanket and looked down. I was nude, laying on my back, fully exposed. There was a woman at the foot of my bed, she was nude as well and was sorta crouching, leaning over my lower half. I could tell she was muscular, had long dark hair, and piercing eyes. I remember her eyes the most, very distinct. Anyways, she was starting to touch me in a sensual manner, it wasn't too forceful, it was assertive but without force? Idk how to explain. I do remember some sort of presence to the left of her, I couldn't make it out, it just felt looming, but she took up my attention because of how vividly she appeared in front of me.

Anyways, afterwards I woke up, felt odd, and went about my day. I avoided going into my room for most of the day after I cleansed it, I just didn't know how to feel. When I finally went up to my room, as I was thinking about the night before, I heard/said the word "Ishtar". I don't recall hearing this word before, it kinda just popped up in my mind and I immediately said it. I felt it must mean something and was shocked to see it was a name of a goddess, so that's how I ended up here.

I just don't know what to make of it, I'm a pretty spiritual person, but have never delved into this specific area of religion. So I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts of what this could mean? Or if anyone has had similar experiences? Should I be worried? Or could this be something completely unrelated to Ishtar? Idk I am just very confused and appreciate any thoughts anyone might have. Thank you!
but very Ishtar

heart neutral

Inanna posted:

Does anyone work with this goddess directly? She came to me in a dream as a name (Astarte) that I wrote down on a a piece of paper and I never heard of the name prior to that night. I am originally into kemeticism but I see a lot of overlap between this particular goddess and hathor,isis, aphrodite, etc.
but the amount of people who apparently started looking into her recently after hearing/seeing her name in a dream is very lol.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Heh, gotta admit that first made me thought of the 'guardian angel' mythology and even the shoulder angel/devil things. A lot of those ideas seem to be pretty universal, or at least don't die easily, as they make good symbology. Humans are quite the hoarders for interesting ideas.

What if we keep coming back to the idea because it's true? :birdthunk:

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Thanks so much Charlatan! I poked that reddit link to start with and then really enjoyed some of the "related topics" it served up

heart warming
I want to strengthen my relationship with Inanna posted:
Ever since she claimed me, my life has improved significantly. She's cured my social anxiety and people have been treating me better. Also blessed me with beauty. Usually I invoke her by chanting the "Exaltation of Inanna" poem and offering her medjool dates, libation, and incense. I've bought books about her to educate myself. I wear her Venus symbol and a lapis lazuli ring. I want to do more for this lovely Goddess, whom I consider my patron. I promised myself that once I move out (unsupportive home), I will dedicate a beautiful altar to her.
Taking notes~

I've tried working with Inanna before, and this would probably make that go even better.

quote:

Exactly.

Ah, of course there's an entry on it there. Thank you.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

lol those are good, nice to see some positive vibes from reddit

i wonder if the part of your brain that lets you have imaginary friends as a kid is the same part where your religious stuff goes and as you get older it just gets diverted to like remembering people you watched on survivor on tv or how to do your taxes instead of cool nature spirit guardians.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

kramer also mentions the "man and his god"/"i will praise the lord of wisdom" tablets and their similarities to the book of job as examples of personal god stuff in "the sumerians" 1963
https://isac.uchicago.edu/research/publications/misc/sumerians-their-history-culture-and-character

thank you again for this one

The Sumerians, p115 posted:

As for the technique of creation attributed to these deities, our Sumerian philosophers developed a doctrine which became dogma throughout the Near East, the doctrine of the creative power of the divine word.

hell yeah here it goes

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I wonder how many religions have the creative word in common and I also wonder

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

not simply in the mundane sense of "words have power" being true, but that there is a reified Word, a Deified Word, and belief in words as sacred and Divine is the universalist thread of truth that runs through every structured religion that has enough true elements to be considered meaningfully, substantially True.

Christianity still gets to be special because "the Word was made flesh" or whatever

Ultimate Concern: Tillich in Dialogue posted:

STUDENT: Well, considering the symbol of Christ, does not Christianity state that the Christ existed in the world before the person of Jesus, as in the Gospel according to St. John, where it is said that he was before the world? In terms of salvation, would it not be possible to say that the symbol of Christ, or his essence, was in the Jewish nation before his actual coming, and that salvation therefore does not necessarily begin with the advent of Christ on earth but existed before his incarnation in Jesus?

DR. TILLICH: That is a very interesting question. Shall I answer it or wait for you? If not, I may say this much: the early Christian idea was first an historical fact. We should really use the symbol of the Anointed One because the term Christ has become the proper name of a man whose first name was Jesus and whose second name became Christ.

Even this combination we must divide again into two different images. "Jesus" was a very ordinary name of the time; and some one of these many persons named Jesus was called the Christ, meaning the Anointed One. Now this idea is even older than the Old Testament. The "Anointed One" comes probably from Egypt, out of the royal house of course, and from there went to Israel--a very old symbol with a long history.

But to answer your question: the early church did not express this idea with the word "Christ," when it said that he was in the world. They used another, Hellenistic term, Logos.

And they also called this principle spermaticos, meaning the Logos, which like a seed is and was everywhere in the world, since the beginning of the world and of mankind. This Logos spermaticos appeared as an empirical, historical person in the Christ, but revelation and salvation were always operating in history even before the empirical embodiment of the Logos in Jesus. And even this is not the end. After the historical event, the power of the Logos continued and continues in terms of new insights and new revelatory experiences under the guidance of the Spirit. Here is a description of the universality of Christianity.

The Logos idea is the greatest expression of this universality. In pointing this out you were right, but you should not have used the term Christ, or symbol of Christ, for the reality of what appeared in Jesus in time and space. The Logos idea has been and is effective today in all history. That was the early idea, and you are correct when you say that this is the universality of Christianity. The early church was much more universal than it proved in later centuries.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Christianity still gets to be special because "the Word was made flesh" or whatever

one of the big differences that brings is who has access to it. The contrasting example is the Stoic Logos which is pessimistic about who can follow the word. They even have a theosis like condition, the logikos. instead of the anybody can be a little christ because of the humanity of the Word, they have that only a few very very few can be the logikos the “determined by the word” or the “determined by reason “.

the humanity of the deified Word changes its accessibility. It’s family. Not metaphorically, but literally. To me if one is taking Christianity seriously, there are three statements that I think are often metaphorically interpreted that are actually literal. We are all children of the Father. We are all the brothers and sisters of Jesus. We are all mother’s children.

that’s the fundamental difference in the relationship with the Word to most of the other places one sees the Logos. It was spoken as a person and in Christianity it is related to as a person. One can go out and meet a person and encounter the Logos in them.

there’s another metaphor I don’t remember where he uses it, but Tillich compares religion a treasure chest hidden inside of a mausoleum.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bar Ran Dun posted:

there’s another metaphor I don’t remember where he uses it, but Tillich compares religion a treasure chest hidden inside of a mausoleum.

So we're just awaiting our next prophet, Indiana Jones.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

"you gotta try one of these chicken mcmuffins, little too much mayo but its got a bit of kick" i say as i place the sandwich on Ishtar's altar, the elder deity torn between appreciation for the offering and wondering how this man has managed to survive this long

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm sure Ishtar would appreciate the offering

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Bar Ran Dun posted:

one of the big differences that brings is who has access to it. The contrasting example is the Stoic Logos which is pessimistic about who can follow the word. They even have a theosis like condition, the logikos. instead of the anybody can be a little christ because of the humanity of the Word, they have that only a few very very few can be the logikos the “determined by the word” or the “determined by reason “.

the humanity of the deified Word changes its accessibility. It’s family. Not metaphorically, but literally. To me if one is taking Christianity seriously, there are three statements that I think are often metaphorically interpreted that are actually literal. We are all children of the Father. We are all the brothers and sisters of Jesus. We are all mother’s children.

that’s the fundamental difference in the relationship with the Word to most of the other places one sees the Logos. It was spoken as a person and in Christianity it is related to as a person. One can go out and meet a person and encounter the Logos in them.

go away boat fucker

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

rude, tristeham

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

BRD, like Paul, is here as a friend and guest

He helps to answer important theological questions for me

Such as, might the Logos also enjoy a chicken sandwich?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

tristeham posted:

go away boat fucker

the only thing he loves to sex more than boats, is tillich

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/sheis___mywife/status/1786316013208064041

prayer and sacrifice works

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

tristeham doesn’t like that I think support of Donald Trump is support of fascism and then thinks that’s an appropriate to do about it.

to be fair it is a conclusion about Trump that is directly resulting from my love of Tillich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

💗