Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I logged into Twitter and everyone was talking about Jerry's Pizza and well I wasn't expecting that

(E: they're apparently not even that good, guy got arrested because of the Romanian equivalent of Papa John's)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/bambooney/status/1608585654941933569?s=20&t=BMa9O-7Zmyg3ewkmEzf-TQ

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Starting on some Yuletide arts and crafts.

Going to mount this on a canvas, cover that canvas in electrical wires, have some if those wires snake in and out of the flesh of the face, and put an old camera lens over one eye and a red light under that.

Then paint the whole thing to look as fetid and diseased as possible and maybe hang it on a wall I dunno

It is complete

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looks like the Necronomi.com

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I call it Kino Eye.

Thinking about making a fist sculpture out of scrap metal and latex and calling it Kino Fist so I have both ends of the kino spectrum represented by hideous cyborg art thingies.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Random thought but I just watched Pacific Rim: Uprising. Besides the really bad sequel title and the requisite Blockbuster Shoehorned China link and spoilers obviously:

Mako deserving way better

Is there any big reason why it's treated as the end of the franchise? I had a lot of fun with it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

FilthyImp posted:

Random thought but I just watched Pacific Rim: Uprising. Besides the really bad sequel title and the requisite Blockbuster Shoehorned China link and spoilers obviously:

Mako deserving way better

Is there any big reason why it's treated as the end of the franchise? I had a lot of fun with it.

It's wasn't the end of the franchise, there's that Netflix cartoon. But Uprising didn't perform well at the box office so it basically dashed hopes of a third theatrical film.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FreudianSlippers posted:

It is complete

Hell yeah buddy, great work!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

Imagine your posting being this powerful, my god

And it was just a dashed-off rote dismissal. She gave it five seconds’ thought and hopefully hasn’t thought about him once since then. The most powerful post on twitter.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Banshees of Inishereen was so good, it's pretty much the same characters from In Bruges, Brenden gleeson being sad and introspective and sure but learning that he's not, and Colin Farrel having the brain and heart of a labrodor, but an entirely new very different story for 'em

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 30, 2022

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

It is complete

siiiiiick

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That reminds me of a 2000's era horror movie cover in the best way. The film most likely is disappointing, but that cover is rockin!!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's super cool

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Give me your favourite films of the year mother fuckers!!!!! Here’s my list https://boxd.it/jRx3U

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Banshees of Inisherin

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CelticPredator posted:

That reminds me of a 2000's era horror movie cover in the best way. The film most likely is disappointing, but that cover is rockin!!

Basically what I was going for.

My line of thought was Tetsuo The Iron Man except as box art for a FMV adventure game circa 2000.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Counting movies I watched for the first time this year, I'd say my top five were

Southland Tales
Only Yesterday
Throw Down
Crimes of the Future
The Batman

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Top Gun
Tar
The Northman
Moonage Daydream

Everything but Top Gun and Tar are probably going to be replaced once they get around to actually showing the films I would like to see.

Gripweed posted:

Counting movies I watched for the first time this year, I'd say my top five were

By this metric

La Notte
L'eclisse
L'avventura
Red Desert
Last Year at Marienbad
Actually let's expand this to ten because I watched a lot of good poo poo this year
Celine and Julie go Boating
Blowup
Persona
Three Colors: Red
Before Sunrise/Before Sunset you'd have to get a gun to my head to decide between the two

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 31, 2022

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Top 10 new movies (I think a couple of these may have come out in 2021, whatever)
1. TÁR
2. A Chiara
3. Nope
4. Top Gun: Maverick
5. Crimes of the Future
6. Murina
7. Aftersun
8. Broker
9. Everything Everywhere all at Once
10. Kimi

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
The Fabelmans
Everything Everywhere All at Once
Glass Onion
TAR
Barbarian
Nope
RRR if that was this year
Banshees of Inisherin
The Woman King
Nope

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some of the best I saw for the first time this year:

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Close-Up
High and Low
Five Easy Pieces
Possession
Au Hasard Balthazar
The Taste of Tea
Hard Boiled
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
Mishima

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nope
Terrifier 2
Everything everywhere all at once

Probably some other movies I forgot about

Violent night kicked rear end

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Next year really has something for everyone doesn't it

https://twitter.com/0liviaolive/status/1608556061526732800?t=M81tRFzvNfXG8v55JiCEnQ&s=19

Segue
May 23, 2007

I'm cheating by including some festival fare that hasn't seen wide release yet, but here's my top 10

Best of the Year - Saint Omer (Diop) - A staggering slow-build meditation on motherhood, daughterhood, and truth, with some of the most innovative courtroom scenes I have ever seen.

Also Good:

RRR (Rajamouli) - Maximalist gently caress-the-British fun that only misses perfection by leaning too hard into Hindutva

De Humanis Corporis Fabrica (Castaing-Taylor/Paravel) - Captures the flesh, the spirit, and their messy convolutions wonderfully.

NOPE (Peele) - Funhouse Mirror Spielberg

How to Blow Up a Pipeline (Goldhaber) - A high tension heist caper with some solid philosophical underpinnings, it ratchets things to the breaking point.

Petite Maman (Sciamma) - A perfect quiet film

Concrete Valley (Bourges) - Vérité Toronto that is an ode to community and builds a layered picture of a family, and particularly a father, attempting to re-establish their dignity in a new place.

RMN (Mungiu) - A beautifully constructed movie that deftly moves through all the intersections of modern and ancient xenophobia, but probes more than digs.

The Northman (Eggers) - Robert Eggers made a popcorn movie and everything is right in the world

Everything Everywhere All at Once (The Daniels) - The wackiest adaptation of The Myth of Sisyphus

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So is this person friends with Cooper Raiff or something?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cha Cha Real Smooth is a good-rear end movie it’s not that wild to me

I wanna see Saint Omer so bad. Also EO and All the Beauty and the Bloodshed and Showing Up and Women Talking

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

jeen-yuhs

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Segue posted:

I'm cheating by including some festival fare that hasn't seen wide release yet, but here's my top 10

Best of the Year - Saint Omer (Diop) - A staggering slow-build meditation on motherhood, daughterhood, and truth, with some of the most innovative courtroom scenes I have ever seen.

Also Good:

RRR (Rajamouli) - Maximalist gently caress-the-British fun that only misses perfection by leaning too hard into Hindutva

De Humanis Corporis Fabrica (Castaing-Taylor/Paravel) - Captures the flesh, the spirit, and their messy convolutions wonderfully.

NOPE (Peele) - Funhouse Mirror Spielberg

How to Blow Up a Pipeline (Goldhaber) - A high tension heist caper with some solid philosophical underpinnings, it ratchets things to the breaking point.

Petite Maman (Sciamma) - A perfect quiet film

Concrete Valley (Bourges) - Vérité Toronto that is an ode to community and builds a layered picture of a family, and particularly a father, attempting to re-establish their dignity in a new place.

RMN (Mungiu) - A beautifully constructed movie that deftly moves through all the intersections of modern and ancient xenophobia, but probes more than digs.

The Northman (Eggers) - Robert Eggers made a popcorn movie and everything is right in the world

Everything Everywhere All at Once (The Daniels) - The wackiest adaptation of The Myth of Sisyphus

The Northman was this year? I thought it was ages ago. Probably my favourite movie of the year, if so. I dug up an old hard drive that had poo poo people recommended to me that I limewired a decade or two ago and watched A Feild In England for the first time after seein' Northman. Glad I did! Liked it a lot, Eggers has never not made a good watch

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
top 10 from this year that I remember seeing, in approximate best-worst order, and obviously horror-tinted
Decision to Leave
Barbarian
The Banshees of Inisherin
Something in the Dirt
We're All Going to the World's Fair
X
Pearl
Nope
----ridiculously good movie divider---
EO
Triangle of Sadness

and #10 I guess would be Sissy forgot about World's Fair get the gently caress outta here sissy

but I learned something very sad about Triangle of Sadness when looking things up just now (leading lady Charlbi Dean died of an infection in August)

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 1, 2023

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I just put on RRR to show my wife now and I noticed that Netflix only has the Hindi version (as in dubbed in Hindi and I guess there is also an English dub too). I'm pretty sure when I first watched the movie earlier this year on Netflix it was in it's original Telugu version but I can't find that version on Netflix anymore and it is very annoying. I don't hate dubbing as much as others but when it is very obviously dubbed (lips not matching words; voices sounding louder than they should be etc) it becomes very distracting.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I found no issue with the Hindu version as I don't know a single word of either Hindu or Telugu and also I've spent years watching Italian films where every single version is a dub and thus become immune to all but the worst of dubs.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Banshees is a well shot film and I feel it’s about being stuck in a small town and wanting to amount for something but Colm is such a dick and so extreme I didn’t buy into it. It’s beautiful but a fail for me.

Segue
May 23, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

The Northman was this year? I thought it was ages ago. Probably my favourite movie of the year, if so. I dug up an old hard drive that had poo poo people recommended to me that I limewired a decade or two ago and watched A Feild In England for the first time after seein' Northman. Glad I did! Liked it a lot, Eggers has never not made a good watch

2022 was a long year of good movies making no money. I do hope they give him a giant again, he's a bit silly with all the historical set design but absolutely a great director. I don't know why I always pair him with Refn but they both exude film bro vibes and make bangers.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Northman did apparently break even so that's good news for the secondary market at least.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Madkal posted:

I just put on RRR to show my wife now and I noticed that Netflix only has the Hindi version (as in dubbed in Hindi and I guess there is also an English dub too). I'm pretty sure when I first watched the movie earlier this year on Netflix it was in it's original Telugu version but I can't find that version on Netflix anymore and it is very annoying. I don't hate dubbing as much as others but when it is very obviously dubbed (lips not matching words; voices sounding louder than they should be etc) it becomes very distracting.
I don't think it has ever had the Telugu version. It has been Hindi since day 1. The streaming rights for the Telugu version belong to another company.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it was definitely always the Hindi dub. I watched it the day they put it up.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
Petite maman
Viy
Pictures of the old world
M
Broker
Banshees of Inisherin
Nope

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Wait Wheatley and Eggers are different people. gently caress me I guess. Definitely both good though

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kimi
Pearl
The Banshees of Inisherin
Crimes of the Future
Mad God

Honorable mention: Resurrection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Kimi was super good, I forgot about it. Shouldn't've.

E: it's so easy to write off, on paper it sounds like one of those Phones But Too Much, I get it. But it's so good and cool

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 31, 2022