Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

do yourself a favor and watch the fan cuts of One Piece if you’re gonna try it. easily cuts out a whole third of fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah one pace is very good

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I ran out of One Paces to watch in the middle of Wano Country and the show just drags out everything. And Wano was already a ridiculously long arc in the manga.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah same, i thought one pace wano was close to finish but it was only about halfway done. i figured ehh, how bad could it really be?

it's bad, folks

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

I ran out of One Piece manga back around the time skip and forgot about it for a while. Then when I remembered to check it out again it was up to 1000 chapters, whoops.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

scary ghost dog posted:

what the one piece is

its the friends we made along the way

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

what the one piece is

It's the box set that goes on sale when the series ends that shows up to your house on a pallet

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lord of Pie posted:

It's the box set that goes on sale when the series ends that shows up to your house on a pallet

you jest but im about 99% sure the one piece is a huge stack of void century-era comic books

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the current one piece anime has some insanely good animation and general art direction but the pacing is still glacial

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Oda said that the One Piece wasn't friendship or any kind of abstract nonsense, but he's also joked about having to figure out what it is.

Augus posted:

the current one piece anime has some insanely good animation and general art direction but the pacing is still glacial

Wano is the first time in a long time that the show felt like it was legitimately "good" as an anime. Even Dressrosa & Whole Cake Island felt like a by the numbers production trying to straightforwardly adapt the manga, and all the visual strength of the anime comes from Oda's design work. But Wano by comparison is way more stylized and does a lot to actually incorporate its animation into the adaptation.

The original season had beautifully illustrated watercolor backgrounds, but since then the vast majority of the anime is pretty average, visually speaking.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 18:39 on Apr 20, 2024

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

What if the big surprise is that there are two pieces

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

net work error posted:

What if the big surprise is that there are two pieces

The One Piece is going to be some grub and Luffy breaks it up to share.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Augus posted:

i cannot wait to see how abysmal MHA's anime pacing gets because one character was clinically dead in manga for a period that was maybe a few minutes and it was literally more than a year irl until they were revived by hero bullshit.

Kitfox88 has issued a correction as of 20:07 on Apr 20, 2024

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

the real one piece is the friends we made on the way

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Kaijuu Number 8 has had a solid two episodes so far for those looking for new shows this season.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

net work error posted:

Kaijuu Number 8 has had a solid two episodes so far for those looking for new shows this season.

pissing kaiju nipples

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Oglethorpe posted:

pissing kaiju nipples

It was the kind of stuff you just don't get in anime anymore

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Aren't they redoing the whole One Piece anime from the beginning?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I think so. One Piece could desperately use a newer version that cuts out all of the filler even if some of it is good, because it's grown into an impenetrable monster.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i took a break from the manga after i got to the timeskip and when i tried to pick it up again it felt like a huge chore to read. maybe i should power thorugh

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The fishman arc that comes immediately after the time skip is honestly kinda weak.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Wano is the first time in a long time that the show felt like it was legitimately "good" as an anime. Even Dressrosa & Whole Cake Island felt like a by the numbers production trying to straightforwardly adapt the manga, and all the visual strength of the anime comes from Oda's design work. But Wano by comparison is way more stylized and does a lot to actually incorporate its animation into the adaptation.

The original season had beautifully illustrated watercolor backgrounds, but since then the vast majority of the anime is pretty average, visually speaking.

The current arc has been really solid in the anime so far. they shifted to a new art style with more animation-friendly character designs, episodes are a lot more animated and filled with fun creative flourishes and great use of color. it’s still taking its sweet time to keep a ~1-year buffer behind the manga but it’s filling that extra time in an entertaining way.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The biggest problem with the timeskip is that if you hate Oda's character redesigns for the main cast, you just have to live with it. I'd recommend powering through it because the later One Piece arcs are some of the best to ever do it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Just because I saw it crop up again, that slime show seems to be really popular. Anything too it or normal isekai trash?
Edit: started reading One Piece. I'm weak to suggestion, what can you do?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

genericnick posted:

Just because I saw it crop up again, that slime show seems to be really popular. Anything too it or normal isekai trash?
Edit: started reading One Piece. I'm weak to suggestion, what can you do?

Reincarnated as a Slime seems pretty by the numbers at first and the first season has a lot of anime bullshit in it, but it also does what most Isekai doesn't which is actively build a community of monsters and outcasts to AVOID fighting. The protagonist is insanely OP from the start so the real struggle is navigating social interests, politics, and the day to day struggle of community building. In the second season the show practically switches genres. Almost all the anime bullshit is gone. They don't do any fighting or adventuring. It's just a full season of monsters and demihumans enjoying the town they built with their chill slime mayor.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

the fable has a very old school anime sensibility to it which I enjoy

the director did some of votoms way back when I guess? I saw that somewhere

re: One Piece chat I have so much Wano to watch … I’m somewhere in the 900s iirc

I started watching the movies going backwards - I watched Red and then Gold - and that has been very enjoyable even if so far as I know the movies don’t tie into the main story

e: no one told the production committee of Wind Breaker that that means farter huh

wolfs has issued a correction as of 03:55 on Apr 22, 2024

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
:lol:please tell me these guys got compensated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_a-bX6CfPE

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/Jesse_Burg/status/1782211545998463448

https://twitter.com/Aca_Studios/status/1782461406505230365

https://twitter.com/Spatu1o/status/1782582302503035229

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 05:15 on Apr 23, 2024

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/mrjeffu/status/1782677075184566670

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/bauzilla/status/1782844117736910961

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I guess related but Shogun was probably the best 10 hour movie I’ve ever seen, absolutely phenomenal

NoModsNoMasters69
May 17, 2023

Showing my bias here, all good guys, but araki is just next level

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lmao of course napoleon is a jojo

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Scarabrae posted:

I guess related but Shogun was probably the best 10 hour movie I’ve ever seen, absolutely phenomenal

They kinda hosed up by changing Tokugawa's name but not his sigil. The book and show change the names of all the characters so as to keep some intrigue going if you're familiar with the time period, but if you are then Toranaga's sigil is kind of a dead giveaway. Minor nitpick in a great show though.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
jojo napoleon is some next level poo poo, not gonna lie

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I feel like Araki referenced that painting before, but maybe it's just a false memory because it feels exactly like the kind of thing he might reference

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

NoModsNoMasters69 posted:

Showing my bias here, all good guys, but araki is just next level

I thought the Black Clover one was by the Attack On Titan guy at first. I'm surprised he didn't do one.

Agree that the Jojo-poleon fuckin owns.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
oh that reminds me I think I read a blurb somewhere that black clover might be coming back soon on tv

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Scarabrae posted:

oh that reminds me I think I read a blurb somewhere that black clover might be coming back soon on tv

It is. Might've already came back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://twitter.com/thorlokid/status/1783576429726188003 dub continues to be goated