Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/405-E-7th-St-Hinsdale-IL-60521/4572958_zpid/ This is one of two houses of his that were "reimagined" by architect Michael Abraham. This one was covered on HGTV and in Luxe Magazine when it was done in 2015, and it is now on the market for $3.95 million.

Sadly we have no before photos, just the after. The renovation itself isn't that bad honestly, it's just that Zook houses have really strong design features and it makes no sense to just smooth that out and turn it into a cookie-cutter modern.

I love the beams/high ceilings-- I'm really curious what the homes looked like originally.

Anyway, I quoted this one because of how loving high up every TV is mounted. It reminds me of playing on the demo playstations and N64s at Target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Buttchocks posted:

I have so many questions about the basement pit.

There was a bizarre "house" on Grand Designs that was made up almost entirely of basements at different levels. One room was a former squash/racket ball court, and another was a Roman bath, like this.

I think it was on the second "season" that's available on US Netflix.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Crosspostin'. Here's a whoops:

This is an art installation on the shoddy nature of McMansions, right? Need PradaSlut or someone to write a few paragraphs about it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "enveloping". yeah I already did envelope, they're two different words okay

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/821-Dulce-Tierra-Dr-El-Paso-TX-79912/27421329_zpid/ just love how colorful this is

They painted that popcorn. That stuff's not coming down unless they tear the ceiling off or put another sheet of sheetrock on top of it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Isn't that just some variety of midcentury modern?

It is very nice.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I just noticed what I think is an endgrain wood floor-- and that's awesome, and I want it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

actionjackson posted:

finally removing this clunky, dusty, ugly fan from my bedroom was SO satisfying, it was incredible. Replaced it with a tiny 10" circular, 1/2" thick flush mount.

Having 8 ft ceilings throughout my house means that I pulled down every single ceiling fan that was in the house when I bought it. In addition I removed the popcorn texture on the ceiling, skimcoated the ceilings and installed recessed lighting in every room. Prior to that literally the only lighting in the house came from ceiling fans and a fluorescent fixture in the kitchen.

I would sort of like to have a fan or two in the master bedroom and maybe the living room but I've never found a low enough profile option that wouldn't make the ceiling feel lower.

I did find this, but it's pretty darn expensive and I haven't done enough research to see if there's an option stocked at a local store where I could actually get a look at one.

https://exhalefans.com/product/bladeless-ceiling-fan/

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I DIYd about 1650 square feet of ceiling, but I had not moved into the house and I also had all the flooring stripped out. So it made a huge mess but it wasn't nearly the headache as if I had been living here.

A power sander with vacuum attachment like the one linked would've helped a lot, because hand sanding sucks. I forget the exact taping knife sizes I used but I think I found the 6" knife to be the easiest to control to remove the popcorn, but mine was fortunately unpainted, so it just required water to remove it. As far as skim coating goes to a "level 5" finish, it's back breaking work, but not rocket science. Water down all purpose joint compound, paint it on with a 9" roller, and then scrape it off with your knife of choice, feathering the edges. Then sand and do it two or three more times. You will probably discover some nail pop or damaged tape that will need to be replaced.

I had covered the floor in plastic sheeting so that after collecting all of the debris and drywall dust, I rolled it up into the sheeting and threw it all away.

You may be able to get away with leaving the ceiling at a level 4, painting on a sealer like Zinnser Gardz and then paint that with three flattest white ceiling paint you can find to hide imperfections. Avoiding lights aimed up at, or across the ceiling will also help hide those imperfections.

Anyway, it is doable but tedious. If you find a good drywall guy that can do it for a reasonable price, pay them.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "curious"

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/88-W-Paces-Ferry-Rd-NW-UNIT-1520-Atlanta-GA-30305/2070461084_zpid/
just keeping my motorbike in my giant living room

Didn't realize that this bike was ever actually manufactured, or sold.

https://danielsimon.com/product-design/lotus-motorcycle/

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Do architects not know how to design and furnish a house so that it doesn't just look like some modern tech company break room or a hotel lobby? Or does every nouveau riche douchebag want to live in a hotel?

Are there examples of modern homes that actually look like a place people live?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

Ever wonder what would happen if the FEMALESTM brand bathroom guy remodeled an entire house?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5125-Mystic-Trl-Dallas-TX-75241/26776730_zpid/

This stripper pole in the living room is probably the worst thing, right?

haha no :stare:

I mean, :siren: MY WIFE :siren: would love it if we had a place to mount her pole, but 8 ft ceilings and not enough rooms mean we can't have nice things.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Thumposaurus posted:

:chloe:
Why would you spend all that money on a kitchen like this and then do tile countertops?

Those kitchen cabinets look original to the house. I'd bet the countertops are too-- since the stove looks original.

It reminds me a lot of my uncle's 1960s Houston house as far as the cabinets go. Although, I think they got granite countertops when they partially remodeled several years ago.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I took delivery of my New Standard sectional/sofa thing from Blu Dot about two weeks ago now.

To say I am dissatisfied with buying from them is an understatement. Part of this may be me not doing my own research, but their flat 9% freight fee that didn't include in-home delivery or assembly while Room and Board will do all of that for $79 felt like a money grab.

My biggest complaint, however came with issues I ran into with assembly. The hardware that shipped with the legs seemed like a jumbled mess. 24 of the 32 screws provided to bolt the legs to the couch were about 25 mm long, while the remaining 8 were ~17mm long. Long enough to thread and torque down, but only just so. Worst of all was that the threaded inserts for the legs were not even drilled consistently. Two legs it was impossible to install one of the four screws because the inserts did not align with the pre-drilled legs. A third leg was a pain in the rear end, and barely lined up, but it required some tweaking.

For the two legs that could not be properly installed I had to drill and file out the hole.

I sent an angry email to the sales associate about these issues and they did immediately refund the 9% shipping fee, and the couch looks great, but these quality issues and their additional upcharge for shipping has turned me off to buying anything else from them that isn't a floor model that I can just transport myself.

All this being said, my wife and I really do like it-- but now we've got a long way to go as far as furnishing our house and getting some built-ins and more organization done.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

The Bloop posted:

is it comfortable?

it doesn't look comfortable

We think it's comfortable. It's definitely firmer than the brown couch behind it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

um excuse me posted:

You probably tried this, but in the off chance you didn't, you never tighten all the bolts in a multibolt fastener until all of them are at least started. But that's wrenching on cars101, and this isn't that forum so I'd give anyone the benefit of the doubt on that.

Am a car wrencher--- and definitely tried different orders of partially threading screws with slack in everything to get this threaded. One problem with the varying length bolts they shipped me was that the shorter ones were not long enough to thread without immediately clamping the leg to the couch.

The photos I posted was what I sent to Blu Dot when I complained about their poor QC.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I have the sofa version and it's extremely comfortable (mine has one of the maharam fabrics, I got it 45% off because it was used in a photoshoot), but sofa comfort is completely dependent on the person. Cushiness is personal taste, seat depth is going to be dependent on your height and size in general, and arms are more personal preference.

MetaJew sorry you had such a bad experience. I've never had any issues with them, but they are also based here so I know main outlet manager pretty well. As for the shipping fee, I'd imagine part of it is that they are honestly much smaller than room and board.

also just my opinion, but I would pull the rug forward so only about 3-6 inches are going behind the front legs. Typically if you are putting the whole rug under, you want it to be under the back legs as well.

I wish we could've gotten the Maharam fabric, but it wasn't available on the chaise, for some reason.

Yeah the rug and stuff needs to be rearranged a bit, or I need to purchase a larger one to fit the space better.

It just so happens that my neighbors' daughters gave our dog toy that isn't meant for a golden retriever puppy, because he managed to destroy it within 2 minutes and then swallowed a bunch of stuffing or string, or something. He's done stuff like this before and then has a gross poop when it passes, but this time he didn't finish his meal last night, and wasn't eating this morning. Around lunch time he barfed everything up, including the string onto the rug. :)

I scrubbed it as best as I can, but I'm going to need to rent a steam cleaner or some kind of carpet cleaner.

As for the shipping fee, again I get that they aren't a "large" company, but I still think it's deceptive marketing. If literally every piece of large furniture will have to be shipped, and that is the fee they want to charge for it, they should just bake it into the price. This is almost entirely due to poor communication from the sales associate, but I still find it annoying.

Wasabi the J posted:

Epoxy some of these in there and bolt the hardware in. Those loose connections build up over time.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-3-8-in-Brass-Standard-SAE-Wood-Insert-Lock-Nut/3012578

I'm not sure if you're saying in addition to the bolts, or not, but these are threading into a metal threaded insert. Can you elaborate?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I didn't realize how little space there was on the other side - yes you need a larger rug, is that an 8x10? I'd go 9x12. it looks like you have a lot of gray, maybe a rug with some color? it would really stand out.

try warm water with vinegar, but if it's wool and it's a big stain it probably needs to be professionally cleaned

not sure about this, it says the shipping charge on their website, and presumably before purchased it told you how much the shipping would be, right?

I've never seen a site price items with shipping built-in.

It was just a "cheapish" synthetic rug from Gilt. I don't think I would want to invest in a wool rug given how my cats, and now dog choose to vomit only on rugs despite my house having tile and floating wood flooring everywhere. I agree that a larger, colorful rug would look nice. Eventually I want to repaint the house since I'm really not a fan of the gray I picked out back in 2015, but I'm not sure what color I would go with.

It's in the past, but my point is that the shipping charge seems arbitrary: it is not proportional to the dimensions, weight, or the distance it is being shipped. Hence, their products are 9% more expensive than their list price. Since I ordered it in store, that shipping charge was not visible on the sales tag, and I was not communicated that shipping price until they asked for my credit card. The only discussion of shipping costs that the sales person mentioned was that the in-house delivery/assembly was $140. From that perspective it is shocking to see an additional $350 on bill when I paid.

paberu posted:

It's kind of amazing how shoddy the QC on higher end furniture can be. Makes Ikea's fit and finish look almost artisanal. Have run into similar issue with some shelves I've bought from West Elm that needed to be modified before to be installed (look great though).

Yeah, I'm just an amateur woodworker, but even I would know to build a jig that locates itself on the corner of the couch frame to consistently locate those mounting points.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
A cool doorknob I just saw

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM89KckAA/

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/??89?????

Edit: I can't figure out how to embed TikTok videos. I've seen other posters do it?

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 5, 2021

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Ugh, cutting up an antique to ruin it with modern atrocities:

If you think about it, 1 1/2" sink drain holes are really just oversized bench dogs.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "niches"

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2839-Firebrand-Dr-Alpine-CA-91901/17060046_zpid/
mosaics in most of the bathrooms

This bathroom is modeled after a scintillating scotoma.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Wow that last home, in Kemah, is right near where I grew up, and only a few miles away from NASA Johnson Space center.

Not a chance that house isn't literally under water within a few decades unless Texas and the Corps of Engineers get their poo poo together and build the Ike Dike, among other things related to global climate change.

It is also hideous.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I don't recall which thread it was of the "interior design threads", but someone posted brands for high end door hardware. It was way out of my budget, but I wanted to share it with an architect friend-- and maybe add it to a pinterest board of things I can't afford to do to my house.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
What I remember seeing was something like a $1,600 solid brass door handle/deadbolt combo for a front door. It was gorgeous but suggests I would need a $10,000 front door to go along with it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Rocky Mountain Hardware maybe?

That's it. Thanks!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

peanut posted:

lmao dwell

D W E L L is Live Laugh Love for people that design their homes to look like hotel lobbies.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "infused"
This entire post is TVTooHigh material, but

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1396-Kingsboro-Ct-Westlake-Village-CA-91362/16489626_zpid/ just postin the rad bathroom
there is no way you will fall into this tub in the middle of the night

I bet females loving love this house.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

:perfect:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I hate this:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

actionjackson posted:

nuke it from orbit. it's the only way to be sure

https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdkpS2cB/

Is it possible to embed TikTok on the awful app?
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/????????2???

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Cowhide rugs--does anyone actually have one? Do you vacuum them? Do they shed?

They're very easy to clean cat puke off of. Nothing sticks to them. A+

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

How many dang fireplaces does that Seattle home need? Criminey.

It's spelled chimney.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Shuu posted:

Popcorn ceilings are staying for now since it's expensive/disruptive to get them removed, and we're looking at raising the ceilings anyways.

Hello fellow Austin goon. That looks great!

Removing popcorn ceilings honestly isn't hard, but it is a bit time consuming depending on how much work is needed after you scrape it off.

If your ceiling hasn't been painted, you can scrape it off pretty quickly. After that, if the drywall is in good shape, you can do minimal patching and seal (Zinsser Gardz), or do a level 5 finish and then seal and paint. I did removed the popcorn from my 1991 Austin house when I bought it and put up a level 5 finish. I did have the luxury of not living here while I was doing it though, so I didn't have to deal with the dust where I slept and ate.

If it has been painted, that's another story. Also, based on the age of your house I guess there is more of a risk of asbestos.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

wheatpuppy posted:

Years ago, I watched a home-reno show where they recommended (and demonstrated) spraying the ceiling with water to loosen the glue/paint, then easily scraping off big swathes of popcorn with a wide mudding trowel. Is that a valid method or was I lied to by PBS?

That's exactly how it works ASSUMING the ceiling has never been painted. Now, I have a friend who removed all the popcorn ceilings from his painted ceiling, and he told me you just had to let the water soak a lot longer and it still worked.

But yeah, what I did was this:
1) Hang plastic sheeting around the perimeter of the room, and then covered the floor in plastic sheeting.
2) Using one of those garden sprayers with the hand pump, fill it with water and spray the ceiling.
3) Let the popcorn soak in the water for a few minutes
4) Take a 6" or 10" drywall knife and scrape it off. If the ceiling was not painted, the popcorn texture should come off the ceiling like you're cutting through a soft cheese.
4a) If it doesn't come off in some spots, spray it with a little more water.
4b) Be careful around tape joints and corners. You might damage the tape or have to redo some drywall tape that's damaged in the process.
5) Fix any damaged tape, patch any holes or other problem areas

If you were good about the plastic sheeting. Hopefully all of the popcorn and dust landed on it, and you can roll it up and throw it away and have minimal filth leftover.

Then you have two options, like I said. If the drywall is in good shape -- fairly flat with no major defects, you should be at a level 4 finish where nails/screws are mudded and joints are taped and mudded. If that's the case, you may be able to get away with using Zinsser Gardz to seal the entirety of the ceiling and then paint with a good, very flat ceiling paint.

If the ceiling is not in good shape, or you're a masochist with really strong shoulders, and you want to do a level 5 finish you can find various videos online on how to achieve that. The way I did it is as follows

1) Take a big bucket of all purpose joint compound, add in just enough water and mix it with a mixing paddle where you reach a "pancake batter" consistency
2) Using a 9" paint roller, dip the roller in and apply the joint compound to the ceiling in an area you feel comfortable with. Maybe 4 ft x 4ft.
3) Take a drywall knife of whatever size you're comfortable with. 10" gets more surface area, but 6" is better for corners. Drag the knife across the compound leaving a very thin layer behind on the ceiling and feather each pass to avoid leaving ridges.
4) Let it dry overnight, knock down ridges, sand, and repeat once or twice more until you're satisfied.

Then you would seal with Gardz and paint as normal. The major point I learned was that you want to use a high quality sealer that prevents the joint compound and drywall from absorbing the paint. This is how you avoid having the joint compound and tape flash through the paint-- and you also use less paint because the paint dries on the surface.

It absolutely sucked to do, but if paying someone else is way out of budget it can be done. My advice would be to rent a drywall sander that hooks up to a HEPA filter/vacuum as that would heavily cut down on the dust and possibly make sanding the ceiling easier.

Anyway, here are some photos to try and give an idea of before/after. I have 8 ft ceilings, so getting rid of the popcorn and replacing all of the ceiling fan lights with recessed lights makes the house feel a lot more spacious than it did when I bought it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Textured ceilings hide defects of which ceilings tend to have a lot of. Same reason for other textures like knockdown

I can't tell if the other posters are dense or being sarcastic-- but popcorn ceilings and knockdown texture exist to build houses faster and cut corners.

I didn't realize just how much water damage my ceiling in my bathroom had until I removed the popcorn and noticed the sagging drywall. The water damage was due to a leaking vent stack boot that was replaced with a lead(?) vent stack when I had the roof replaced.

My house has heavy knockdown texture on the walls and I hate it, but it would've been too difficult to flatten by hand-- and probably too costly to tear the house down to studs and replace all of the drywall.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
OMG. BeatmasterJ got ahold of another house

https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1549477778067701777?t=3H2gfGU6x3mj3r2aHqFhXA&s=19

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Freaquency posted:

They’re gonna have to put out a giant version of those Japanese beetle traps to catch all of the females flocking to it

The sheer number of appliances in that kitchen, mamma mia

At least we finally got a photo of the toilet.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3707-Oakfield-Dr-Sherman-Oaks-CA-91423/19987492_zpid/ designed by Richard Neutra, completed in 1965 by William Beckett, renovations by current resident Donald M. Goldstein. More info here

hell no

I have difficulty believing any modern engineer would put their stamp those three columns. It seems like there should be some bracing to prevent racking, and also... more. Especially on a hill, in a part of the country that has earthquakes.

hell no. (neat house, tho)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Luneshot posted:

Not just earthquakes, CA also has a lot of landslides. No loving way would I even set foot in that house, let alone live there.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention landslides but it was definitely on my mind.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

That was 100% a swingers/sex dungeon club house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I hate this house so much. The decor is just all over the place, and then you have the thing that she is showing off that is just a decadent waste of space... It makes me so angry.

I wish my laundry room wasn't just a small closet the width of a washer and dryer. I would love to have a space that actually had room to fold clothes, hang dry stuff, store cleaning supplies, etc.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7137010748365999403