Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

It's really hard to go train when you're on the tail end of a 3 day coke-binge hanging out in some dude's treehouse

Conor's coaches are all drug fiends and sycophants

GSP's coaches wear rash guards to weddings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

awesome, thanks

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i think conor or someone in his team is at least smart enough to get the money fights in before he goes and risks getting knocked out and retired by an oompa loompa. i'm guessing diaz 3, and the pacquiao fight happens somewhere

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think Conor vs RDA is the match to make next for Conor

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Aye Doc posted:

i think conor or someone in his team is at least smart enough to get the money fights in before he goes and risks getting knocked out and retired by an oompa loompa. i'm guessing diaz 3, and the pacquiao fight happens somewhere

The funny thing is that the gimmick fights aren’t even that appealing now that Conor has been slept. He has to beat Do Bronx or at least Chandler for him to be an interesting draw now.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lid posted:

Found it

"It's hard to get out of bed when you're sleeping in silk sheets with millions of dollars in the bank account, and go into a gym filled with angry people who want to punch you in the face.

"The challenge for a fighter isn't so much the rise to the top, but the attempt to stay at the top.

"The world is full of people who fought hard to get to the top, but then fell quickly because they couldn't handle success."

John Danaher rules.

Yea he does.

And GSP has always said not just that he hates fighting etc but one of the things about being on top is everyone is coming for you all the time. If you aren't giving every second to training etc they are catching up.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Aye Doc posted:

Pac Man would literally kill Conor, I'm down

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
What matchup is there at the top of the LW echelon that is more favourable to Conor than a Dustin content to walk backwards into the fence and exchange?

The dude’s done at the top. He’s not trading low kicks or punches with Gaethje and he’s not out grappling Oliviera, Khabib or Chandler.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

The funny thing is that the gimmick fights aren’t even that appealing now that Conor has been slept. He has to beat Do Bronx or at least Chandler for him to be an interesting draw now.

i think the people who buy the freakshow boxing spectacles like that aren't really gonna be in tune with what actually happens in the ring, especially with all the dedicated casual Conninites screaming fron the hilltops that his loss to Dustin doesn't count because he was inactive for 15 months

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
Really need a Dana or Khabib reaction cam of the finish

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shirkelton posted:

What matchup is there at the top of the LW echelon that is more favourable to Conor than a Dustin content to walk backwards into the fence and exchange?

The dude’s done at the top. He’s not trading low kicks or punches with Gaethje and he’s not out grappling Oliviera, Khabib or Chandler.

I mean I'm sure he'll get another big shot because Dana's loving awful and there is still money to be exploited from Conor's insane fans, but I wonder if they might convince him to fight Dan Hooker first so they can claim he's on the comeback trial if he wins? Though :lol: if Dan Hooker ended up beating him anyway.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Digital Jedi posted:

Yea he does.

And GSP has always said not just that he hates fighting etc but one of the things about being on top is everyone is coming for you all the time. If you aren't giving every second to training etc they are catching up.

This is why while Jon Jones might be the most talented MMA fighter of all time that GSP will always be the greatest fighter of all time.

diesiel
Aug 11, 2012
I think Conor expected Dustin to crumble after the first solid left, when that didn't happen he sort of crumbled himself. Hah.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

we're all overlooking the real winnable fight for Conor, vs. Tony Ferguson's somersaulting corpse. the man who didn't really lose to Khabib because he had some good r3 strikes vs. the man who actually wasn't mentally broken in the first round because it was in fact Oliveira who was mentally broken, it really sells itself

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lid posted:

Found it

"It's hard to get out of bed when you're sleeping in silk sheets with millions of dollars in the bank account, and go into a gym filled with angry people who want to punch you in the face.

"The challenge for a fighter isn't so much the rise to the top, but the attempt to stay at the top.

"The world is full of people who fought hard to get to the top, but then fell quickly because they couldn't handle success."

John Danaher rules.

Especially in the UFC lightweight division. Remember all the guys who had super impressive win streaks at some point, G-Sot, Jim Miller, Melvin Guillard, Donald Cerrone, all of whom went on to get squashed in later fights, because there's always some terrifying new prospect coming up.

Also, Dustin putting it all together over the years has been awesome. Obviously, he's made a shitload of technical improvements, but also mental ones. There was that story Cub Swanson told that, during their fight, Dustin was whispering 'stop, you're taking my destiny away' and that guy, who clearly fought from the heart, has turned himself into a smart, very mentally together and versatile fighter. I rewatched a bunch of his fights recently, and the improvement in his composure and patience is a genuinely crazy.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

That seemed to be mostly because he basically couldn't move his lead leg. That owned goddamn

Also, he's a really good counter puncher, but always looks awkward when he has to lead, especially with his hands. That style of punch works super well if the guy is coming after you, but you can't move much as you throw it.

CommonShore posted:

I think Conor vs RDA is the match to make next for Conor

You're a cruel person.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Max v Conor 2.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lid posted:

This is why while Jon Jones might be the most talented MMA fighter of all time that GSP will always be the greatest fighter of all time.

100% agree.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lid posted:

Max v Conor 2.

Feels like a step back for Max but the man deserves money

diesiel
Aug 11, 2012
Tony vs Conor is actually loving awesome.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Olivera v Dustin plz

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

BlindSite posted:

Olivera v Dustin plz

Holy hell thiiiiiissssss

They'll give it to Chandler :(

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Holy hell thiiiiiissssss

They'll give it to Chandler :(

Didn't dana say winner of conor/dustin is guaranteed the title shot?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

BlindSite posted:

Olivera v Dustin plz

only if it's also at an event with Chandler vs Gaethje

bonus points if this event is billed as CRITICAL COUNTDOWN

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

shizen posted:

Didn't dana say winner of conor/dustin is guaranteed the title shot?

Yeah. Khabib isn't coming back though. They'll book Poirier vs. Chandler for the title, even though Do Bronx deserves it more than Chandler.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Good fight. Eat poo poo Conor.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I watch maybe one UFC card a year and I thought that was a great show

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Gaethje would have loving killed Conor and he'll probably kill Chandler too. I say give Chandler to Gaethje so they can find out who's the backflip king and do Dustin and Oliviera.

mewse
May 2, 2006

diesiel posted:

I think Conor expected Dustin to crumble after the first solid left, when that didn't happen he sort of crumbled himself. Hah.

Conor won the first round with pressure and getting up from that takedown, but the commentators pointed out he wasn't checking any of those leg kicks - and then Dustin found his rhythm in the 2nd

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Conor just said he wasn't rattled after going limp and cold, this guy shouldn't be getting interviewed.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Shirkelton posted:

Conor just said he wasn't rattled after going limp and cold, this guy shouldn't be getting interviewed.

How could you tell what he said?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shirkelton posted:

I'm pretty sure he said,"There's not a mark on my face" during this press conference too, while his face is visibly marked up.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
McGregor harping about styles make fights as a reason he lost, as though Poirier isn't a completely favorable stylistic matchup for him. lol

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

McGregor harping about styles make fights as a reason he lost, as though Poirier isn't a completely favorable stylistic matchup for him. lol

Delusional. He's gone.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Remember when these GDTs would be, like, 100 pages by the end of the night?!

Also, lmao, gently caress Conor

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Conor said he isn't used to low calf kicks, but hopes he's essentially developed anti-bodies after this fight, not unlike how thai fighters whack their legs with sticks to build up durability

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

omg chael crash posted:

Remember when these GDTs would be, like, 100 pages by the end of the night?!

Also, lmao, gently caress Conor

Not that many MMA goons nowadays

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

LobsterMobster posted:

Conor said he isn't used to low calf kicks, but hopes he's essentially developed anti-bodies after this fight, not unlike how thai fighters whack their legs with sticks to build up durability

he should do some training with tony and kick some steel poles, build up those leg kick antibodies for next time

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Michael Johnson would have killed Conor McGregor.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Shirkelton posted:

Michael Johnson would have killed Conor McGregor.

It's especially amusing since, of their common opponents, they have similar records. They've both knocked out poirier in about a minute and a half and both lost to nate diaz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Poirier saying unequivocally that he will not fight Chandler next. Says that Chandler shouldn't get a title shot from beating someone he already beat. Good for him.