Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SubponticatePoster posted:

We have been working for over a year to make changes to our system. Extensive testing of pretty much every function our custom software does. A couple months ago it was decided that we were going to containerize our data for added security so they copied all of our DBs into new instances and we tested there, though very limited compared to what we've been doing. Mostly just "hey go and see if this screen works, maybe do some updating or adding of data." Our team bangs this out. Then a couple of weeks ago "Oops we hosed up, can you go retest all the screens again?" gently caress. Whatever, it isn't hard and that's what I get paid to do. This time we do the whole thing in one goddamn day. A tester working in a different environment was doing much more extensive testing and logging an absolute shitton of bugs because we have contracted with a company to do the coding for us. We were supposed to go live on the 8th but it was decided after much hemming and hawing that we would delay it for a week because they still had 40 open bug tickets. Probably a good thing, since we were originally going to go live April 1st (lol) and I took the week of the 8th off to go see the eclipse so I wouldn't have been around to help with tickets and troubleshooting. The system went live over the weekend, and everyone logged on Monday to start working.

It was a loving. Disaster. Every kind of ticket from "I can't log in" to "the system is eating data" to "our system can no longer do basic math." What's worse is our users have one system to log tickets, and we use Jira so we have to take the ticket from the user, contact them and go through all their steps, then copy all that poo poo over into a Jira ticket. So basically double the work. I verbally mentioned to my team that I didn't know how this could've happened. Like, we didn't test everything but I think we would have noticed things like "when you update a client's address it disappears." Surely something got hosed up along the way. At about 3pm today my boss calls us all into his office, shuts the door and tells us that the reason we're having so many problems is because the loving contractor had a newer, different version of Java installed on their machine and a lot of the code that was written is not compatible with our older version so that's why it's making GBS threads the bed. :shepicide:

... Just how old is the version of Java you're stuck on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

The sweet spot is a hybrid job where there's only really 10-20 hours of work per week, and you go into the office to do it, then when you work from home, just do hobby guerrilla stuff.

Play Helldivers on the days home, then it qualifies as both.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

In the office today and a lady swung by and just... Gave us a dozen eggs.

"I have a LOT of chickens. So here's some eggs. I'll bring more tomorrow."

We're used to people just giving us food (they tend to think that we'll solve their problems faster if they do), but this is the first time the bribe has been eggs.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe she just has a lot of eggs and you look like egg-boys.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I used to keep chickens, figuring out where to put all the eggs they make is a real problem. You can’t make and eat as much challah as people suggest because the chickens don’t stop!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Oh, apparently it was the senior VP for IT and not just some rando. So we'll definitely be getting a lot of eggs, I guess.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

just bring a few chickens to the office so everyone gets infinite eggs

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Outrail posted:

E: ^^^ or that

If you're doing nothing for 8 hours a day can you enroll in a course and get paid to pick up an advanced degree?

I do not have any degrees. My company agreed to pay for my school so I’ll start taking a few classes in the summer and try to do full time in the fall. In the meantime I’m gonna start working through googles project management course to get a feel of if that’s the direction I wanna go in. I worked in manufacturing and doing boring science stuff so long that I’ve kinda lost interest so I’d like to try something else that pays well hopefully.

Thesaurus posted:

The book "bullshit jobs" talks about this subclass of bullshit job. It sounds perfect on the surface, but it eventually drives people completely insane because you feel like you have no purpose

Yeah, it’s kind of a mindfuck. I like feeling productive.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Free eggs from chicken-havers is the best random coworker giveaway. People seem to massively overestimate how many eggs they can/are willing to eat themselves and the scramble to find people to give them to every few weeks is always funny. My mother in law had a flock of ten and a household of four adults couldn't keep up. Now that we're not living with them anymore I would LOVE random eggs.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The issue for me at least (with 8 chickens) is you get a ton of eggs early in the spring and then it tapers off a lot later. If it all averaged out I'd have the perfect amount all year round but right now I have a couple cartons I need to unload somewhere.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I've been working from home a lot more lately. Everyone got the option to telework full time during COVID and my company has stuck to that since, so most people cleared out of the office. A ton of people still had office space and weren't coming in, so they made up a rule that you need to come in three days a week to keep your office. Most people just moved out permanently. Then they had a big annoying "consolidation" effort now that they had all these empty buildings. They moved people around into fewer buildings with the idea of creating "neighborhoods" to "encourage collaboration." I think like three people in total from my division still come in regularly. Every time I go in it's still a ghost town. It turns out they aren't actually tracking people who come in, so there are people who kept their offices and still never come in. Like many here, almost all of my meetings are still on Zoom or Teams so I usually go in just to meet with people virtually and maybe bump into the two or three people who come in regularly.

The whole move was a huge pain in the rear end. They kept changing dates and one day while I was in the middle of the meeting movers came in and just started taking out my furniture. Then I had to move to one office temporarily just to move again to the adjacent office a few weeks later. The place I previously moved to is still vacant.

The only thing that I got out of the move was that they put me next to these two really loud program directors. One is always humming, snapping his fingers, and talking to himself, and the other is always talking poo poo on other people on speakerphone. I'm glad I'm not in his program because he sounds like a real dick. At one point I heard him say something like "If people on this team don't want to come in to collaborate then gently caress them."

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Squiggle posted:

Free eggs from chicken-havers is the best random coworker giveaway. People seem to massively overestimate how many eggs they can/are willing to eat themselves and the scramble to find people to give them to every few weeks is always funny. My mother in law had a flock of ten and a household of four adults couldn't keep up. Now that we're not living with them anymore I would LOVE random eggs.

i used to think i couldnt eat a lot of eggs until i discovered you can make 4 dozen perfectly boiled eggs in like 10 minutes in an instant pot and then sit there in your underwear eating them one after another

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

blatman posted:

i used to think i couldnt eat a lot of eggs until i discovered you can make 4 dozen perfectly boiled eggs in like 10 minutes in an instant pot and then sit there in your underwear eating them one after another

Lol I got an instant pot recently and while looking up recipes, one I found on food network was like "put the cake pan in the instant pot. Crack open a dozen eggs and dump 'em in. Pressure cook that a bit. Enjoy your egg brick - maybe chop it up for egg salad.'

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

lmfao

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cthulu Carl posted:

In the office today and a lady swung by and just... Gave us a dozen eggs.

"I have a LOT of chickens. So here's some eggs. I'll bring more tomorrow."

We're used to people just giving us food (they tend to think that we'll solve their problems faster if they do), but this is the first time the bribe has been eggs.

Cthulhu Carl eat the eggs

:douche:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

:lol:

Owning your enemies with gainful employment. Capitalism ruins everything.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I got roped into making promotional videos for my job. I keep remembering a comic about how doing commission work just turns you into a paintbrush to be used and abused by your client and this deffo feels like that. "Make this blue" followed by "ew why is this blue make it look better" type poo poo.

Also lmao we were supposed to show my videos for feedback last Friday. It has been pushed farther and farther until 1pm today. It got pushed back another hour and split into me showing the same poo poo twice in two separate back to back meetings bc no one can commit to a loving schedule in this place.

Really makes me and my work feel valued esp when this is something we were supposed to have done a month ago

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Cthulu Carl posted:

Lol I got an instant pot recently and while looking up recipes, one I found on food network was like "put the cake pan in the instant pot. Crack open a dozen eggs and dump 'em in. Pressure cook that a bit. Enjoy your egg brick - maybe chop it up for egg salad.'

lotta questions about my cooking ability that i feel are sufficiently answered by my eggloaf

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
The employees (at all levels) at my workplace seem incapable of very basic project planning or time management. I'm talking at the most basic level of *identifying when you're hoping your launch date will be and working backwards to establish a timeline of when things will need to be ready in order to make that occur".

Everything is a crisis all of the time. Yet it's a crisis and needs to be delivered tomorrow, but we won't get that information for another week. We won't get approval for a month. Quick it's 4.30pm on a Thursday, here's all the convoluted, rapid changes that are needed right now but I'm logging off soon for my guinea pig's funeral!!!

I get that poo poo happens but it's loving constant, all the time, everything, forever

I've worked in many workplaces and istg none of them were as disorganised as they are here. Hell, print out a physical calendar and look at it if you need to!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Egg Update: I took the fuckin' eggs. The whole dozen. Because no one else on my team who was in today wanted them.

Though one dude was like "Nah, I'll get the next batch." which, fair.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He’s waiting to see if you die first, smart

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

should have let them hatch in the break room

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I found a hard boiled egg in the back of my wife’s van that clearly was left over from Easter

My children are terrorists

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Volmarias posted:

... Just how old is the version of Java you're stuck on?
gently caress if I know. Prior to 2020 we were on a mainframe using COBOL (lol) so it can't be any older than that at max. But we deal with sensitive information so I would assume (also lol) that we keep it at least somewhat updated, if for no other reason than to keep from getting destroyed by the IRS.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cthulu Carl posted:

Egg Update: I took the fuckin' eggs. The whole dozen. Because no one else on my team who was in today wanted them.

Time for breakfast casserole.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

gently caress if I know. Prior to 2020 we were on a mainframe using COBOL (lol) so it can't be any older than that at max. But we deal with sensitive information so I would assume (also lol) that we keep it at least somewhat updated, if for no other reason than to keep from getting destroyed by the IRS.

Are you paying Oracle for the Java version, pirating it, or running openjdk?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Dameius posted:

Are you paying Oracle for the Java version, pirating it, or running openjdk?

Agent Smith killed the Oracle :(

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Biplane posted:

Agent Smith killed the Oracle :(

The Oracle came back as a cop and aggressively hunts you down for minor financial crimes that they over prosecute.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Any older than... COBOL on a mainframe??? Or did you mean no older than 2020?

Very weirdly sloppy of the consultant to not consider what the target runtime would be if it's not "basically whatever's current"

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Any older than... COBOL on a mainframe??? Or did you mean no older than 2020?

Very weirdly sloppy of the consultant to not consider what the target runtime would be if it's not "basically whatever's current"

That's exactly what I would expect from a consultant writing in java from personal experience. Well, that's not true. They did better than expectations because the code worked with the right version of java which already puts them ahead of most consultants.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Anyone else have coworkers who decided rules about space heaters in cubicles don’t apply to them? Was a bit much after they tripped a circuit my computer was using, & after facilities came and reset the breaker decided on their own that couldn’t be the cause, & plugged it in again :negative:

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

some government facilities person inspected our federal office and helpfully informed us that we couldn't have coffee machines in our offices o a toaster in the break room. These are also all supplied voluntarily by staff since there's no budget for such extravagances. Nothing at all is provided. I think even the microwave was a group effort. The office manager emailed this news out and suggested that we just hide the toaster prior to the next inspection. I'm not sure I would have put that in writing to the whole office

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

Home laid eggs are so much better than store bought eggs. Mum has some chickens and I cant go back to the tasteless store bought eggs.

Also, it turns out that I work with multiple people who are boomer enough to prefer to talk on phone, but savvy enough to know how to do a screen share through Teams, so i get people calling me and then sharing their screen and its really annoying.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I’ve had very little work to do since I started this job in November. Super close to being done with my degree and they said I’ll get promoted when it’s done. Feels weird being rewarded for not doing very much real work but I’ll take it. Maybe they’ll expect more from me? Who knows

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

What you have to remember with stuff like that is that they're not paying you per TPS report you file or whatever it is you do, they're paying you for your availability - for your time.

For 8 hours a day you are there, ready to do poo poo if they need it done. That's what you're paid for.

edit: this is also the one strong argument against moonlighting, because if I'm paying you for 8 hours of availability and you're working a second job in those same hours then you're obviously not fully available if I need you and that's what I'm paying you for.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

NPR Journalizard posted:

Also, it turns out that I work with multiple people who are boomer enough to prefer to talk on phone, but savvy enough to know how to do a screen share through Teams, so i get people calling me and then sharing their screen and its really annoying.
For my org that comes up b/c of headset issues:
None* of them will wear a headset at the office. So they yell into their laptop/camera mic if on Teams calls. But they also don't use speakerphones. If I call them, they have to talk normally into a handset while awkwardly holding the phone with one hand and using their machine 1-handed while screensharing. It is great. I do it all the time.

I wear a little bluetooth earpiece set thing (old Plantronics) that works w/ my phone and machine, weighs nothing, and leaves my other ear open to talk normally around the house, hear the dog when it wants to go out, whatever.
*my boss wears a VERY old headset (hooks over his head, one ear and boom mic like that has horrible echo on it when I call his cell. It is also connected to his desktop phone and that's fine, just his cell gets the echo. I've complained and he says it is just me so I don't know what the issue is but when it happens I just hang up and say my cell service is so bad I got disconnected.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Cyrano4747 posted:

What you have to remember with stuff like that is that they're not paying you per TPS report you file or whatever it is you do, they're paying you for your availability - for your time.

For 8 hours a day you are there, ready to do poo poo if they need it done. That's what you're paid for.

edit: this is also the one strong argument against moonlighting, because if I'm paying you for 8 hours of availability and you're working a second job in those same hours then you're obviously not fully available if I need you and that's what I'm paying you for.

Yep.

And since they're paying you for your time, then you have a personal incentive to learn how to make your TPS report process as streamlined and error resistant as possible, since the less time you need to spend on that work *including any time you have to spend going back and fixing mistakes* the more time you get to keep for yourself.

Once you have more experience and know the organization a little better you might find projects that you can work on during your downtime without stepping on anyone's toes. But I don't think anyone would expect that from someone in your position.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is also why being on call pays you money even if nothing happens, and more money if it does.

Well, in a sane company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

pumped up for school posted:

I just hang up and say my cell service is so bad I got disconnected.

I learned this One Weird Trick years ago: When you hang up, do it while you're talking. Makes it much more believable that it was a connection issue because who hangs up on a call when their mid-sentence?