Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

My job is pretty good tbh.

My old job though, hooo boy. I was a chef for a high end caterer. We did functions on big yachts . The owner had ruined his brain with cocaine but was an all around good guy but mostly terrible cook. He would come in during the middle of a plate up and make huge messes for other people to clean up. He rarely knew what was going on and was just a sloppy mess.

He would drop random homeless or non english speaking people off unannounced at the kitchen during busy days as dishwashers. These people usually came with some sort of baggage and required an inordinate amount of coaching and/or guidance. I was usually sympathetic but some new person with zero capacity and limited english was often a burden.

One guy stuck around but had to be let go when he disclosed that he had been carrying a weapon because he genuinely believed we were going to sacrifice him. He was driven to a hospital.

We had someone's Chinese grandmother show up wearing flip flop sandals. Zero English. Probably mid 60s. I spent a good 20 minutes trying to explain that she legally needed closed toed shoes. She seemed sweet and I felt bad but she ended up being more of a burden, needed help lifting big pots when she returned with sneakers, etc.

The boss wife believed she needed to manage us and liked "being in kitchens". Shed stand around and just pull culinary ideas out of the aether and then ask us to create them. Boozy gummy bears was one that turned into a month long pointless project. Its nearly impossible to get a gummy bear consistency with a significant amounts of booze.

Whenever her car pulled up our day doubled in length because wed get some neverending project. Like replicating a ferrero rocher but savoury and with pork for example. Think Claire from BA Test Kitchen type projects but weve got heaps of other poo poo going on.

We would try to push back and ask questions like "how do we do that", and she would just shrug and say "youre the chefs figure it out". She was also never, ever satisfied with the result, as she was usually pulling heavily doctored photos off of instagram and the stuff we made didnt look as good under the fluro lights.

The job had its perks but the bullshit tended to be of a very distilled variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Jobs where they tell the new guy, me, things like:

"Oh were going to get busy soon," when all teams are beyond capacity. And:

"This isnt even busy, mate".

Its just a weird form of subtle hazing basically telling a new person "weve all been through more than you and are happy to remind you of it".

It also just seems like an excuse for middle managers to stay off the tools when their team is getting smashed. I used to see it in kitchens alot.