Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

My boss is not a very good manager, so he was sent to a management training class. At this class, he learned about the concept of "scrum". We are not in software development, but he decided that we could do "scrum" too. So he asked us to do daily e-mails about what we're doing/planning to do.

Of course, he quickly realized that this didn't make much sense in a team where most of us do the exact same tasks every day. So he cut it down to Mon/Wed/Fri. And then he removed Wednesday because that used to be our weekly team meeting.

At some point, the top management ordered everyone to use Yammer more. So he moved the "scrum e-mails" to Yammer. This is when I stopped participating because Yammer is loving terrible and I'd usually see the thread like 3 hours later.

When we started using Teams, the boss decided to move the "scrum" there. So now there's a Teams channel called "Scrum e-mails". About half the time, the boss posts his own message in one of the other channels instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Yeah, I have to record my time in 6 minute intervals. As in, 6 minutes is the smallest amount of time I can record for a specific project/task. I do have a couple of projects that take about 6 minutes per day, then a few in 30 to 90 minute range. Everything else, internal meetings etc, go in the "admin" bucket.

For some reason my boss can't see what I actually record in the system. So last year when HR claimed that I'd taken 50 days of sick leave in March and demanded to see a letter from my doctor, he couldn't review what I'd put in the system. I had to tell him that it was only three days and I didn't have a note from my doc.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

nonathlon posted:

Was reminded of an old job today where - for unknown reasons - we had to record any days off, holidays or sick days in three different systems. Like, apply to HR, fill out a paper form, mail someone's secretary. Which made it extra bitter when I went to apply for my first set of holidays and was told I had no leave remaining. They'd simply lost all my records (or "couldn't access" them) and just assumed it used it all up. After a lot of complaining on my part, they let me have a week "off the books" ("but don't tell anyone").

Really should have quit that job a lot earlier.

To request a holiday, I have to:

- Mark it on the team's holiday spreadsheet
- E-mail my boss and wait for him to say yes (he will first ask his assistant to make sure my work can be covered by others)
- Fill out an application in the HR system (A) and wait for my boss to approve it there

And then when I actually take the holiday, it needs to be recorded in a different HR system (B). Neither of these systems automatically reduces my holiday tally in system A, this has to be done manually by HR.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

I've been thinking about quitting (without a new job lined up) for *months*. Definitely don't want to stick around for the summer months which are simultaneously boring and stressful (because of having to cover unfamilar tasks while others are on vacation).

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

I just quit my job! I've been miserable for months and I was being asked to commit to a project for several months, so I just decided to leave now instead of having them plan the project around my presence and then leave later.

My boss almost immediately e-mailed the entire team to announce this? Without telling me he was going to do that? Luckily I'd already told some of the people who I wanted to hear it from me first, but jfc dude.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

I resigned from my job a couple of weeks ago because of lack of advancement opportunities, poor salary, etc. Less than two weeks after that...the company announces that my department had been sold to a competitor. Half of the employees would stay, others would start working for the competitor. The people who are staying are livid, the ones who are going seem to be mostly pleased about it. No idea which group I would have been in, but I'm pretty happy with my decison.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

My current employer just announced their post-pandemic remote work policy:

- everyone must work at the office at least 3 days per week
- you're allowed to work from home 2 days per week
- except at our location 2 days wfh is mandatory because the office doesn't have enough space due to a recent acquisition
- each team must have a shared on-site day each week
- you must try to change the on-site days each week so that you'll have contact with different teams at the office
- not allowed to work part of the day from home and part from the office
- hot desking, you can book a desk 3 weeks in advance (unless your job requires a fixed space)
- no idea what this means for people who have been working from home full-time even before the pandemic and live in another city

I'm sure this will eventually morph into "3 days per week at the office, use common sense"...but I'm glad I'm only here as a summer temp because I hate not having my own assigned space. I want a spot where I can leave my favourite mug and some toys/decorations.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Wheeeeeee. Starting a new job next week, going in tomorrow to sign my contract.

Kinda excited, it seems like a great company and they seem happy to have found me. Let's see how long that feeling lasts :P

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Volmarias posted:

What's going to happen, she gets fired? You can't be fired if you're the only person in HR, there's no one else to do the paperwork.

My last job did fire everyone in HR except one part-timer who was working only one day per week. She wasn't interested in going full-time because she was going to school and was about to graduate and get a job related to her degree.

So when the company needed to hire some students to do some part-time work cheaply, the CEO had to deal with the HR paperwork because nobody else could do it. I'm sure that was a good use of his time.

I left the company. So did the CEO apparently. We had six different CEOs in the 7 years I was there, so I'm excited to see who will take the job next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Blue Moonlight posted:

Someone has assembled a site to auto-generate inspirational LinkedIn messages to post based on your prompts.

It does an incredible job: