Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Welcome to the Dorkroom chat thread. Talk about whatever, post poo poo you've been doing, just say hi!

I've been working on restoring this Voightlander Perkeo I 6x6 folder. Found it in a little antique shop, the lens was in good nick so it came home with me. Going to have to make a new bellows for it which will be a new one for me. I'll be documenting that in the repair thread when I get to it. Luckily I have a very attentive support technician.

I also got a new lamp for my workspace and it's so good, truly a dream to work under. Gives off a real nice diffuse light and leaves no shadows for bits to hide in.

Anyway, what's been goin on with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Twenties Superstar posted:

whats your preferred approach for putting up and collapsing a tripod personally i like to unfasten everything then pull each leg one by one. back the other way just push them all in at once and lock up

I unfasten the bottom extensions first and set those up, then I set my height and unfasten the top extensions one by one getting everything level while I do. Then I put my camera on it and realize I need to be either higher or lower before convincing myself it's going to be a bad photo and packing it back up.

Sub Rosa posted:

Feels auspicious for my first post in The Dorkroom to be so early in the new chat thread.

Hi! I just bought a Canon 5D Mk III as my first real camera. I have no idea what I'm doing!

People keep asking me what I like to shoot, and I have no idea because I haven't taken any shots yet. My favorite photographer is Stacy Kranitz, though, so she is sort of an inspiration for me.

That's awesome and you've got the right idea. Finding and drawing from inspiration is a great way to find new areas to explore. I've stopped saying "I'm a modern landscape photographer" or the like because I'm just into what I'm shooting on the day, which could be anything, but most likely cats.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Love 2 scan and found out things I hosed up:

Apparently I can hold a camera still and get the correct settings for the scene, just not on the first half of the pair.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Watch out there's a new Girl Watcher in town

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My perkeo is nude now, next up is shutter service or bellows replacement, not sure which yet.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

seravid posted:

What will you do with the repaired product?

Use the hell out of it. It's joining my tiny crew with my next project. 2 cameras I can fit in a jacket pocket.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 18, 2021

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Sub Rosa posted:

Hey so I took my first photos :toot:

I found some reddit course thing I'm going to try to work through that said to start with picking your favorite photo and a photo of a window, so of what I shot today I picked my favorite, and also here is the window pick.

These are nice! For beginners I always recommend this YouTube playlist its as much composition and techinque as it is operational basics, but whatever vibes with you and gets you out shooting!

These would be more than welcome in the landscape thread.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I found an abandoned adult shop and peep show in the center of our clubbing district and the door was open so I guess they wanted me in there. Was a good day for photos.

It'll be a little bit before I get everything processed and finalized.

What sketchy places have you guys been in?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I find this one particularly concerning!

I need to go through these slower at home.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Tag yourselves in abandoned dump, I'm the astro turf stairs

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Welp, let's see how this goes.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

A day of scoring and folding later

Megabound fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 28, 2021

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

seravid posted:

Could double as a gear stick cover.

Was that a DIY project or...? Between the materials and time, I'm guessing it would probably be cheaper to just buy one.
DIY project for fixing up a small 6x6 folder. Bellows are the opposite of cheap, and they come in many different sizes and styles so there's no one size fits most. This cost like $3 in materials and an afternoon of listening to podcasts, not a bad rate.

e: I've done a post in the DIY repair thread about the processes and resources

Megabound fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 28, 2021

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Real good, this is like the last major step. It's all been cleaned and serviced, the shutter was good to go so no need to get in it, lenses came up well apart from the rear element but I'll see how it shoots before going deeper into cleaning it up. This weekend will be installing the bellows and a test roll. If I'm happy I'll recut all the leatherette and give it some nice new clothes.

After that I'm waiting on some tools and I'll be tacking the next project, an Officine Galileo Candog I. Interesting camera designed by a scientific instrument maker (lens, shutter, everything) and built by famous cheap Italian camera and film producer Ferrania. The Candog is the Australian market version of the Condor. Upmarket, tops out a 1/500th which is about the max you can get a leaf shutter, introduced in 1947. It's tiny, about the same size as an Olympus 35RC, which is the smallest 35mm rangefinder with aperture priority.

It'll need a complete disassembly and clean, a shutter service, lens cleaning and, a new mirror and new beam splitter for the rangefinder section. I've never done the rangefinder section before so that'll be interesting.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Thanks! The 35RC is completely hosed so the Candog is my hopeful pocket camera. I've found Minolta lenses great to work on, very easy access.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My bag is always directly under the tripod legs cause I'm fishing out film backs and loupes

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The Epson V600 or V700 is recommended around here and is what a fair few of us use. Scanning and editing film is quite labor intensive and you might appreciate something more automated. I know there's some Plustek OpticFilm 8200 users around here so maybe they can chime in on if that would be a better solution.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Perkeo watch 2021, it's all back together and am now shooting a test roll.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Sleepytime posted:

Is it relatively easy to attach the lens once you have the bellows made?

Lens side was easy, there's a metal mounting plate that goes inside the bellows and a retaining ring that fits on the rear of the lens. Camera side was more painful, there's like a 4mm flange to glue to and getting that guy spotlessly clean and prepped was a right pain.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Test roll 1 shot, pretty successful!

What's everyone up to this week?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yes, never not chat. Post about photos in any thread.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm also OK with just unlocking the thread

e: The Feb contest thread is unlocked, I like the idea of keeping them that way after the comp is over for discussion on entries.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 11, 2021

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

bellows lugosi posted:

all i want to do in life is drive around endlessly taking photographs

That's the dream

Twenties Superstar posted:

Walking around truly is the common denominator among photographers

Went for a hike today, took some photos, had a great time.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 13, 2021

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

torgeaux posted:

Shooting people being people is classic street photography. But, man I do like taking photos of people taking photos, but generally they're just for me and I enjoy them for a second or two while processing, and move on.

One of my new hobbies is busting in and taking photos of people about to take a group photo. You get some looks

Need to explore it more but I think it's got legs.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'd like to learn how to take better pictures (landscape), but classes, at least the stuff I see, NatGeo type things are like a million dollars it seems like. What are some alternatives? Are there clubs where people go on local trips to take pictures and compare notes on how to do so better?

Have you done much research on basic composition? I always recommend this YouTube playlist for starting out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-3zOuqaUBY

I'd also recommend posting your photos in PAD, in the landscape thread or in the Discord and requesting some feeback. Find some works you like, and post some of your own, it really helps talking about why a photo works or doesn't.
My local clubs have always been lacking in feedback and honest talk, but ymmv. They're usually good to get together and talk about gear in tho.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 16, 2021

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Personally I'm all about snapping captures.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Shot half a roll of flash not on flash sync, just developed and every frame is a half frame.

:baduk:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

ORWO is making some noise about brining some films back, and not just for cine. UN54 would be nice to get in 120, but

Good news for film nerds. They've also talked about some colour film, and announced their companies have now also been reunited under one roof (ORWO and Agfa) and they'll be bringing new film and old emulsions out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNDPCwCHyiG/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

We've got a photo contest running in GBS this month, pop in and make a submission!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3964088

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It's new gear day, pretty pumped to finally have a 35mm for my Canon. 1952 Jupiter-12. Needs a good service but I'm keen to get out there and put it through its paces.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hello everyone, the travelling circus of wonders has come by the Dorkroom. You should jump in there and post some things you're proud of, photography or not!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm having a fight with a lens I'm servicing at the moment. Infinity was misaligned when I got it so now I'm down to trying all different permutations of helices (there's 2 of them) to get it all right. It beat me last night but I'll be back at it this evening. Absolutely grody lens.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

xzzy posted:

Ah yes, "Lens Fucker," one of the most important manuals on the topic.

Shout out to this tool tho for real

Real good for getting one element out instead of tipping the lens over and having a myriad of spacers and elements fall out all over the shop. Also good for placing everything back in flat.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hi Lois, lookin sharp.

Quick and dirty of my friends Italian Greyhound.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

For my V600 getting a betterscanning film holder was critical. Being able to adjust to get your focus just right is a game changer and the anr glass does a great job at flattening.

If your problem is clipping make sure you don't have auto exposure adjust turned on, I use Epson Scan and scan as direct positive, no assists turned on.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, sure am. Good enough for my purposes. Click for big. If I wanna pull every last detail out I'll then wet print

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

finally got the Jupiter-12 back together correctly. Classic case of you so certain your problem is in one area when it's actually somewhere else completely. Silky smooth now and ready to shoot. Had a bit of help from a friend who was telling me interesting things based on the internals. A lot of it was made in Germany and other parts of it were made for military use. A grab bag of what was lying around the factory.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Went to a camera fair today which is always dangerous and ended up with 2 new cameras. Introducing my new party setup

Pen EE half frame. I'm testing it out right now to see how it's metering. I also got this guy.

A Plaubel Roll-op, 645 with coupled rangefinder. Needs some work but should be an excellent pocket medium format guy. The shutter serial dates it to 1937 so I will forgive it it's current state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I started out on a Sony A230, a 10 Megapixel camera from around the same period and it was absolutely fine for getting into photography, and it looks like you'll have a great time with it!