Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
whats your preferred approach for putting up and collapsing a tripod personally i like to unfasten everything then pull each leg one by one. back the other way just push them all in at once and lock up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

seravid posted:

I go one leg at time. Unfasten all the QR, pull/push, move to the next.

Doesn't unfastening everything from the start cause the other two legs to telescope down on their own while you're working on the first one? That could be hazardous.

risk and reward

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
hard to believe but scientists theorise that lens may be larger than an original xbox

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
can we talk about the photos in the contest thread because there have been quite a few real rippers in the last few months

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

bellows lugosi posted:

i haven't read the contest thread in ages so i would love to see some of the top picks. i find it hard to participate (not in the sense that i want to change how it works) because i don't have a good workflow to shoot and process something within one month

i always read it but i never participate for the same reason mainly. i also dont really practice in trying to shoot on a theme or anything like that anymore except just to follow my own intuition. maybe taking an external prompt would be productive for me

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
i dont wwant to comment on the current thread because i want there to be impartial judging but there is a photo in there i like a lot

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Walking around truly is the common denominator among photographers

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Sub Rosa posted:

I've made a huge mistake

sorry did not mean to inflict erasure on the valued astrophotographer community

as a possibly related aside

it seems to me that a fair chunk of contemporary photography has relatively little to do with pointing a camera at something and taking picture anyway

https://www.edelmangallery.com/exhibitions-and-projects/exhibition-pages/2018/michael-koerner.html theese images like more traditional photography capture some kind of natural phenomena under controlled conditions using chemistry

tabita rezaire produces a lot of odd highly aesthetic videos and imagery which feature original photography as a small but important component of her work https://vimeo.com/171298063 (probably :nws: in parts)

heres a series by marie clerel where each photo is a little unremarkable but when composed in a way is quite beautiful https://marieclerel.fr/MIDI

and this kind of thing also seems to be like photography https://www.idfa.nl/en/film/8aa351e2-1885-4b66-b760-e141114279a1/forest-on-location

heres another artist whos work is photography and about photography but is also sculpture and about that too http://www.felicityhammond.com/remains-in-development

i think for a long time i held strong opinions about what passes the smell test for photography which in retrospect feels kind of silly. visual art is all about image making and photography specifically about the translation of "the world" into an image but i think its also fair to say that these days one often finds that "the world" is about as made up as any image is really

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

bellows lugosi posted:

all i want to do in life is drive around endlessly taking photographs

same

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
some may tell you that reading about photography will make you better too but they are forgetting that a picture is worth a thousand words

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
I think when you capture an image with a camera you are often taking something. Perhaps it isn't material but especially when it's a portrait you can be making use of something that doesn't belong to you. I think recognising the politics which can be inherent to that is important. Regardless of what language you use there is a certain responsibility that should be taken in representation

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
i think i would more or less echo what has already been said. i think that over time u will find things that are interesting to you and gravitate toward them and it is impossible to avoid picking up bits and pieces from the other photography that you see. if you have more commercial goals in mind you will probably gravitate towards the things which end up being commercially / critically succesful.

there is the concept of a movement in art and life where different people come together and bring their own skills and point of view to a common project. i think you can definitely engage with that and trying to follow along is a great way to learn. if you don't want to get lost in the crowd you will need a distinctive "voice" and the platform neither of which come easy unless you are lucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
here's me