Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Anybody use a WhamBam flexi plate? I was able to scavenge one from another goon's printer for my Mono X and got it to print last night. Need to fiddle a bit with some details, but my main question is about cleaning it. Is resin going to damage the magnet or dissolve the glue or anything? Do I need to be washing the build plate off as well now? For my solid build plate I just scraped the prints off then put it right back on the printing arm and left it for the next print. Does that cause problems now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I didn't have a whambam one but the magnet glue holding the cheap flexplate I got did eventually weaken and come off the build plate. Only noticeable when I was pulling the plate off, didn't mess up any prints. This was also a cheap AliExpress one and after about 18 months of use so I'd say I got my money's worth.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
It looks my my incredibly old Anycubic Mega Zero is completely dead now. What's a cheap FDM printer that isn't complete garbage? I don't care about printing in multiple colors, but some QOL upgrades compared to my old one would be nice.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Electric Hobo posted:

It looks my my incredibly old Anycubic Mega Zero is completely dead now. What's a cheap FDM printer that isn't complete garbage? I don't care about printing in multiple colors, but some QOL upgrades compared to my old one would be nice.

Depending on the materials/size of stuff you print, probably the A1 (now its fixed) or A1 mini without the AMS. Throw in the nozzle bundle and it comes with a smooth PEI sheet as well as quick swap 0.2 stainless steel and hardened steel 0.4/0.6 nozzles for abrasive filaments.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 2, 2024

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I've been very happy with my Elegoo Neptune. I've had a Neptune 3 Pro for several months now and It's been great.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

bird food bathtub posted:

Anybody use a WhamBam flexi plate? I was able to scavenge one from another goon's printer for my Mono X and got it to print last night. Need to fiddle a bit with some details, but my main question is about cleaning it. Is resin going to damage the magnet or dissolve the glue or anything? Do I need to be washing the build plate off as well now? For my solid build plate I just scraped the prints off then put it right back on the printing arm and left it for the next print. Does that cause problems now?

They're good, I use them (or knockoffs) on all my resin printers.

There good but you'll definitely see issues with the adhesives over time. Spot of CA glue can fix it up in a pinch

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Getting a bunch of Phrozen Hyperfine resin may have been a slight mistake. It's good but it seems fragile, I think the Aqua 8K Grey may be a better all-around choice. Oh well, it's here so I'll use it :v:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone getting the fancy Saturn 4? Wondering if the tilt-print thing is worth the hype.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I preordered the regular Saturn 4 instead of getting a new FDM.
The tilt thing didn't seem to be worth €100 to me. And the AI camera definitely wasn't worth it.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Springfield Fatts posted:

Anyone getting the fancy Saturn 4? Wondering if the tilt-print thing is worth the hype.

I am pretty happy with my Saturn 2, and since I have had it I printed off a bajillion things and now I am really slowing down in my printing, so I am going to wait for the 5. They seem to release a model every year, and this seems like a big enough change I don't want to be on the ground floor. Especially since I get really good results with the printer I have now. It seems like all the features just make it easier for people to get good prints quicker, or to print more quickly. I don't really need to print more quickly, I cannot keep up with what I print now, and I know my printer pretty well. It looks like a nice machine though, would love to see how the tilt works.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Springfield Fatts posted:

Not really. Maybe in a couple generations once the kinks are worked out, but right now it sounds like one more thing to break or gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I also think there are a few competing technologies, one that uses air and blows on the underside of the fep, on that uses a wiper blade style thing, and the Saturn that tilts. I would really like to see how all 3 styles perform and if there are clear advantages to any specific type of them.