Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

It's still poo poo though because even in the replies there are drones being all "Well of course he's not going to speak out against his current boss!" but i get there's no accounting for pricks on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Tony is the best

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CaptainApathyUK posted:

It's still poo poo though because even in the replies there are drones being all "Well of course he's not going to speak out against his current boss!" but i get there's no accounting for pricks on the internet

well spoken captain apathy of the united kingdom

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Seeing the quote in text omits the most important part: Schiavone saying this while wearing a Batman hoodie in his gamer chair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDWscMHefUo

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

god drat Tony is a real one

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah Tony rules. I love him saying "I was in WCW you dumb asses and it is definitely not that"

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

he probably means its worse than wcw

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

The biggest revelation for me with AEW isn't that weekly wrestling TV isn't that hard to pull off consistently, or that if you don't do house shows you can constantly do bangers every week without much repercussion, it's that Tony loving rules.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

punchdaily posted:

The biggest revelation for me with AEW isn't that weekly wrestling TV isn't that hard to pull off consistently, or that if you don't do house shows you can constantly do bangers every week without much repercussion, it's that Tony loving rules.

Sorry it took ya this long, he's been aces since WCW imo

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I didn't watch WCW but brining Tony back and letting him be awesome is one of the best things about AEW.

The above also applies to Sting.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
people who compare AEW to late stage WCW have never watched late stage WCW.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Why do I think the "wasn't always good to me" is Phil loudly giving away Starbucks gift cards one day and Cage gets none :smith:

Because I know he wouldn't try any physical poo poo with Brian.

https://x.com/drainbamager/status/1780243492603879844?s=46

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The worst AEW feels like 2006 TNA before Russo came in, where there's a lot of good stuff but some really annoying and inexplicable stuff and weird skits that you either really like or really hate. The Brochachos and Planet Jarrett had things in common I never would have expected.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It’s fair to say that one specific thing felt like a WCW thing to do without saying AEW is fully WCW (and everyone is entitled to disagree or feel differently, of course).

Up until it aired, the fight tape thing felt like a corny thing to do similar to Bischoff challenging Vince to fight him on PPV, but they smartly used it as a storyline mechanic so it ended up not being anywhere close to as stupid as that.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Tony rules, and I’m not afraid to say it. I probably spent more time on WWF growing up than WCW, but in my dreams it was always Tony calling matches, not JR. Him getting to have this resurgence later in life has really been one of my favorite things about AEW.

Also Cage is cool and I’ll take the big muscle dork who loves Wolverine over broken down Crushed Mytesticles Punk.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Miching Mallecho posted:

Why do I think the "wasn't always good to me" is Phil loudly giving away Starbucks gift cards one day and Cage gets none :smith:

Because I know he wouldn't try any physical poo poo with Brian.

https://x.com/drainbamager/status/1780243492603879844?s=46

more and more the california cabal is confirmed

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

punchdaily posted:

Yea, getting Tony back in the chair is one the best things about AEW

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

They've never watched an actual AEW show in full either, see the constant comments saying "learn how to sell/psychology" on short video montages of AEW's highly rated matches.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

https://twitter.com/StokelyHathaway/status/1778886313858458060?t=Urdk7t4dIqFBQkVza-IUMw&s=19

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The most WCW segment of AEW was, to me at least, the weigh-in between Cody and Ogogo. It just kept going, the scale was messed up or something, and you could tell even the commentary was over it about halfway through. And that was still miles beyond the worst stuff on WCW, believe me, since at least it led to a match.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

https://twitter.com/StokelyHathaway/status/1778906281564098746?t=bKa0x3EnZaueKZtElhrVwA&s=19

Lmfao

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Long-Time Lurker posted:

see the constant comments

No

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

People who compare ANYTHING to late stage WCW clearly didn’t watch it. WWE in the 2000s, NWA-TNA, ECW in 2000, as bad as they were, none of them come close to how bad WCW was in 1999-2000.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The AEW/WCW comments reminds me that I occasionally see a guy on Twitter who compares upcoming Dynamite cards with the Cagematch listing of matches for its Nitro counterpart. In other words, "Dynamite is about to have its 193rd episode. Here's what Nitro's 193rd episode had to offer."

I decided to look up what "this week's" Nitro would be. There were no matches listed on Cagematch. Then I realized that it's the infamous Best of Nitro episode hosted by Schiavone and Mark Madden where they were talking up how Bischoff and Russo were going to come back next week and make everything awesome again.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I know everyone would hate it, but just once, for just a little while, I would love for a current promotion to embrace wcw 2000’s world title booking philosophy. Title changes every week, sometimes multiple in a show. Vacate that poo poo and then have a tournament that’s won by someone who wasn’t in the tournament. Do it for like, a few months, maybe like one summer. Just go crazy.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Gavok posted:

Then I realized that it's the infamous Best of Nitro episode hosted by Schiavone and Mark Madden where they were talking up how Bischoff and Russo were going to come back next week and make everything awesome again.

restore the feeling?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

A Fancy Hat posted:

The most WCW segment of AEW was, to me at least, the weigh-in between Cody and Ogogo. It just kept going, the scale was messed up or something, and you could tell even the commentary was over it about halfway through. And that was still miles beyond the worst stuff on WCW, believe me, since at least it led to a match.

The Nightmare Collective or whatever the hell it was called feels more like that to me. Gimmick that didn’t make sense, promo that didn’t make sense, ruined a good match, crowd didn’t care. Still wondering what Brandi meant when she said “we’re here to do the jobs nobody else wants to do” unless she was foreseeing Luther’s future on Dark.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

A Fancy Hat posted:

The most WCW segment of AEW was [...] Cody

True.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Sandman from ECW posted:

I know everyone would hate it, but just once, for just a little while, I would love for a current promotion to embrace wcw 2000’s world title booking philosophy. Title changes every week, sometimes multiple in a show. Vacate that poo poo and then have a tournament that’s won by someone who wasn’t in the tournament. Do it for like, a few months, maybe like one summer. Just go crazy.

Honestly, it would probably help NWA.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'll take the insanity that was late era WCW over the utter boredom of WWE during the guest GM era.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/VolSkimmer/status/1780008403223650514

https://twitter.com/PuroresuFlow/status/1779846404451508660

there is legit a lot of cool wrestling stuff on twitter

https://twitter.com/vintagepuro/status/1780259594142368114

Shard fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 16, 2024

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Lio’s character work in that Prestige match was so goddamn cool and I will always mark out for a spooky son of a bitch having a power-up and no-selling for a brief period

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Jaiden is a really good worker too, he does POW! shows in Eugene. I saw Sonico give him a dragon suplex on the floor. It was awesome

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

a dumb moron posted:

People who compare ANYTHING to late stage WCW clearly didn’t watch it. WWE in the 2000s, NWA-TNA, ECW in 2000, as bad as they were, none of them come close to how bad WCW was in 1999-2000.

False

Watched all of those, and I will loving die on the hill that the guest host era of Raw was the worst time period of north american pro wrestling that I have personally watched

ed:

Ganso Bomb posted:

The Nightmare Collective or whatever the hell it was called feels more like that to me. Gimmick that didn’t make sense, promo that didn’t make sense, ruined a good match, crowd didn’t care. Still wondering what Brandi meant when she said “we’re here to do the jobs nobody else wants to do” unless she was foreseeing Luther’s future on Dark.

she was trying to steal a line from a run of x-force where they were cyclops's secret strike team to do missions that the bright and crowdpleasing X-Men couldn't be seen doing

How the gently caress Mel, Luther and Amazing Kong(-knees) were gonna be that, I have no clue

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lio feels like a wrestling auteur

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

rotinaj posted:

False

Watched all of those, and I will loving die on the hill that the guest host era of Raw was the worst time period of north american pro wrestling that I have personally watched

As awful as that period was, WCW in 1999–2000 was far worse and did far more damage as a whole. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If guest host raw was the worst period then why did it give us bob barker, and sheamus being canonically related to beaker.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Also the Pee Wee Herman Raw! And it's also canonically the reason Sheamus got his shot at TLC, thanks to Jesse Ventura, and it had the Bret Hart return...

...In hindsight lots of stuff just straight up wasn't good but it was more bland than anything. It was close to the start of my fandom and around when I could actually watch RAW live so there's a little bit of nostalgia there, though even I was mad at how bad the ZZ Top RAW was. At least episodes were still only two hours then. 2017-2020 WWE was so much worse.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Late stage WCW is better to me. Some of the funniest TV of all time, I watched until their dying day because I hated the WWF, specifically the Rock. WCW was always good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

watching wwe from like 2005 to 2015, and then beyond that once NXT started cratering, was a lesson in masochism. there was good poo poo there but the bad was so much more prevalent. it was a company that actively hated and poo poo on the people who watched it at every turn, you had to watch Roman Reigns forced into the main event scene for like 7 years in a row.