Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

watching wwe from like 2005 to 2015, and then beyond that once NXT started cratering, was a lesson in masochism. there was good poo poo there but the bad was so much more prevalent. it was a company that actively hated and poo poo on the people who watched it at every turn, you had to watch Roman Reigns forced into the main event scene for like 7 years in a row.

its crazy that we all used to watch 2 hours of poo poo in the hopes that maybe 20 minutes of it was at least ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

watching wwe from like 2005 to 2015, and then beyond that once NXT started cratering, was a lesson in masochism. there was good poo poo there but the bad was so much more prevalent. it was a company that actively hated and poo poo on the people who watched it at every turn, you had to watch Roman Reigns forced into the main event scene for like 7 years in a row.

pretty much my exact experience.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ringo Roadagain posted:

its crazy that we all used to watch 2 hours of poo poo in the hopes that maybe 20 minutes of it was at least ok

This realization is what made me fully stop watching WWE. Towards the end I was only watching RAW and literally not looking at the tv because I was doing something else and still never really missed anything important.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

new japan, dragon gate, roh, and pwg were godsends

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/PuroresuFlow/status/1780218702895481324

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Ringo Roadagain posted:

It is pretty nuts yeah.

I started watching wrestling with Summerslam 2013. Managed to find the good stuff outside of WWE relatively quickly though. I think the last WWE show I saw in full was a house show in 2019.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

WWE killed my enthusiasm for wrestling for a long time, and AEW reignited it

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

this is exactly what I thought of lol

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

a dumb moron posted:

As awful as that period was, WCW in 1999–2000 was far worse and did far more damage as a whole. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

You are throwing around words like worse all willy nilly but the wcw undercard still had great acts putting on banger matches, Booker T and Goldberg and Steiner putting on at least interesting and fun matches, terry funk being insane…

All’s I am saying is that for a fan watching the product, I can take late stage WCW mildly better than I can guest host era raw, where there is absolutely nothing on the show to make it be worth watching

I hold this card up against any other for most boring and pointless show ever:

quote:

zz top raw, July 20 2009
Dark Match: Alex Riley (w/ Beverly) defeated Jeff Lewis
Kofi Kingston, Montel Vontavious Porter & Primo defeated Carlito, Jack Swagger & The Big Show (9:11)
Jerry Lawler defeated The Brian Kendrick (2:16)
Mark Henry defeated Chris Jericho by DQ (5:08)
Hornswoggle defeated Chavo Guerrero in a Sharp Dressed Man Tuxedo Match (2:36)
Alicia Fox & Rosa Mendes defeated Gail Kim & Kelly Kelly (3:40)
John Cena & Triple H defeated Legacy (Cody Rhodes, Randy Orton & Ted DiBiase) in a Three On Two Handicap Match (13:31)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
what tna was counterprogramming that week:

quote:

(20.07.2009) TNA iMPACT #265 - TV-Show @ Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida, USA
TNA X-Division Title: Homicide (c) defeats Samoa Joe (w/Taz) by DQ (5:11)
TNA Legends Title: Kevin Nash (w/Jenna Morasca) (c) defeats The Amazing Red (2:13)
TNA World Tag Team Title: Booker T & Scott Steiner (w/Sharmell) (c) defeat Big Rocco & Sally Boy (4:45)
Knockout Battle Royal (Special Referee: Traci Brooks): Traci Brooks defeats Alissa Flash and Angelina Love and Awesome Kong and Daffney and Madison Rayne and ODB (w/Cody Deaner) and Sarita and Sojournor Bolt and Tara and Taylor Wilde and Velvet Sky (5:48)
The British Invasion (Brutus Magnus, Doug Williams & Rob Terry), Abdul Bashir & Kiyoshi defeat Beer Money Inc. (James Storm & Robert Roode), AJ Styles, Daniels & Eric Young (5:24)
Office Keys On A Pole: Kurt Angle vs. Mick Foley - No Contest (5:02)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
That time period of wrestling nearly killed me as a fan, holy poo poo was stuff dire

Even ROH was pushing davey Richards and Austin Aries and tyler black and other dudes I never really got attached to, unlike Claudio and hero and danielson, who was about to leave roh

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

TNA saved me from WWE in 2005. The indy's saved me from TNA in 2009. And then from 2014 to 2019 is kind of a blur but things got better in 2019 thanks to my friend Tony Khan. Thank you Tony Khan.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Who the gently caress were Big Rocco and Sally Boy? I can’t remember if I was even still watching TNA at that point.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

Who the gently caress were Big Rocco and Sally Boy? I can’t remember if I was even still watching TNA at that point.

Big Rocco? you mean

BLUE TILLY????

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ganso Bomb posted:

Cagematch says they were The Main Event Mafia Security

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Wrestlers all bloodied up with ripped up masks is the coolest visual in wrestling.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

rotinaj posted:

You are throwing around words like worse all willy nilly but the wcw undercard still had great acts putting on banger matches, Booker T and Goldberg and Steiner putting on at least interesting and fun matches, terry funk being insane…

Looking at what Nitro was offering up in July 2000:

Nitro July 24, 2000:

Lance Storm d. Big Vito (3m32s clean win in a title vs. title match where Lance Storm wins the hardcore title in a non-hardcore match)
Lt. Loco & Major Gunns d. David Flair & Miss Hancock (2m36s)
Kronik n/c Jeff Jarrett (5m40s after Kronik decides to attack the referee)
The Great Muta vs. Vampiro (no contest/no match because they all immediately turn on special ref Ernest the Cat Miller)
Goldberg d. Booker T (3m03s after Stevie Ray maliciously throws in the towel for his brother)
Buff & Judy Bagwell vs. Kanyon never happens because Kanyon was disguised as a cameraman and Kanyon-cuttered Buff before the match
"The Fat Chick Thriller" Mike Awesome d. Shane Douglas (5m18s after Douglas and the referee are both distracted by a video playing of Douglas's girlfriend loving Billy Kidman so Mike Awesome hits him in the head with a dumbbell)
General Rection & Corporal Cajun d. Mark Jindrak & Sean O'Haire & Rey Mysterio and Juventud Guerrera (9m40s, Caged Heat match won by the Misfits in Action after Huge G. Rection falls through the door)
Booker T d. Goldberg (2m29s after Jarrett attacks Goldberg, and special referee Ernest Miller turns on Goldberg)

I guess technically more stuff happens, but the "great acts putting on banger matches" thing was not really in evidence for most of those last two years or so. There were some entertaining/talented people on the show, but the same could be said for all of the dirt-worst Raws of the early 2010s.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Coaaab posted:

what tna was counterprogramming that week:

How does a referee win the match they were refereeing? :psyduck:

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

“Douglas and the referee are both distracted by a video playing of Douglas's girlfriend loving Billy Kidman so Mike Awesome hits him in the head with a dumbbell” is the best sentence I’ve read all week

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I'll give them credit, Kanyon cuttering everyone was hilarious.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

late wcw owns. no one is ever going to make a retro podcast about wwe 2018 but there have been dozens about wcw 2000

you can go back and watch it and it only gets funnier

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

late wcw owns. no one is ever going to make a retro podcast about wwe 2018 but there have been dozens about wcw 2000

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Edge & Christian posted:

There were some entertaining/talented people on the show, but the same could be said for all of the dirt-worst Raws of the early 2010s.

I could not disagree with the sentiment of the second half of your statement more, but that really is the sort of thing that will be a personal decision and not really a measurable statistic

But seriously comparing those two shows, give me nitro every time

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

JUNGLE BOY posted:

you can go back and watch it and it only gets funnier

Genuinely, I've come to realize through my wrestling channel that 2000 Thunder is the most rewatchable wrestling show possibly ever. Mid-to-late-00s ROH comes close for entirely different reasons but 00s WCW combined absolutely bonkers weirdo booking with spectacular atmosphere.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://twitter.com/NotThatTomGreen/status/1780046434076692989

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

Wrestlers all bloodied up with ripped up masks is the coolest visual in wrestling.

If I were a wrestler I would have had a mask just so I could do battle damage spider-man poo poo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rotinaj posted:

All’s I am saying is that for a fan watching the product, I can take late stage WCW mildly better than I can guest host era raw, where there is absolutely nothing on the show to make it be worth watching

In 1999 and 2000 WCW's undercard was very rarely putting on banger matches. Booker T was having 3 star matches with Scott Steiner and Goldberg was barely around. The cruiserweights were getting decimated and things were very dire. That Raw card is about as good as most summer of 99 Nitros.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MassRafTer posted:

In 1999 and 2000 WCW's undercard was very rarely putting on banger matches. Booker T was having 3 star matches with Scott Steiner and Goldberg was barely around. The cruiserweights were getting decimated and things were very dire. That Raw card is about as good as most summer of 99 Nitros.

rotinaj posted:

I could not disagree with the sentiment of the second half of your statement morelast sentence more, but that really is the sort of thing that will be a personal decision and not really a measurable statistic

But seriously comparing those two shows, give me nitro every time

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I'll give them credit, Kanyon cuttering everyone was hilarious.

https://youtu.be/64_Ne-k6WX0?si=L3x2nfly-Y9StQHB

what even at the age restriction but this pops me EVERY. TIME.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Either I blanked this out or just missed the segment with Cody and the Codymobile :psyduck:

https://x.com/ryschramm/status/1780303660058042783?s=46

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

the tattoo and logo never really get better no matter how many times I see them lol

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Cody definitely tried to do some stone cold in a truck stuff a few times, but they never had the balls to run poo poo over or do anything other than drive an expensive car up. No hitting the ring, no running over other cars or barricades…

The one that makes me giggle is the one where FTR drove one of (iirc)Shad’s classic cars up, and they were visibly being gentle with it so as to not slam the doors too hard or bump into anything

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rotinaj posted:

Cody definitely tried to do some stone cold in a truck stuff a few times, but they never had the balls to run poo poo over or do anything other than drive an expensive car up. No hitting the ring, no running over other cars or barricades…

The one that makes me giggle is the one where FTR drove one of (iirc)Shad’s classic cars up, and they were visibly being gentle with it so as to not slam the doors too hard or bump into anything

It's too bad that Mox is returning this week as IWGP champion because if it was next week he could have returned to the show in his Ford GT.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/KrisPLettuce/status/1780369245500526947

We will not see Prentiss' like again.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Majinfoose posted:

WWE killed my enthusiasm for wrestling for a long time, and AEW reignited it

to be fair NXT circa 2016, around the time Nakamura entered the promotion alongside Devitt/Joe and Sami Zayn/KO had been white hot, was what got me back into watching american wrestling again. The main product sucked poo poo still but NXT PPVs always whipped rear end. But around the time Aleister Black and Andrade were snatched from NXT and pushed into RAW/SD too soon + the neverending Adam Cole/DIY vortex masterpiece theater, I lost interest again and the PPVs for both that and the main WWE shows just kept jerking people around. There was some cool poo poo like the brief moment in time when Bray beat AJ and Cena in one night (only to lose the title 2 months later) and Danielson's 2nd resurgence, but after Kofi lost the belt to Brock in 20 seconds I think that's when I said gently caress this.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Genuinely, I've come to realize through my wrestling channel that 2000 Thunder is the most rewatchable wrestling show possibly ever. Mid-to-late-00s ROH comes close for entirely different reasons but 00s WCW combined absolutely bonkers weirdo booking with spectacular atmosphere.

This is how I feel about WCW Saturday Night. They basically gave Jimmy Hart free reign to book all the geeks and midcard acts he wanted in various combinations and it ruled. Sometimes you got randomly awesome matches out of it, like Meng killing people left and right or Raven and Saturn wrestling the Armstrongs and Enos/Bloom.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

the c shows always have some sneaky good wrestling

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i gave cody $100 to gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

https://twitter.com/elClubLucha/status/1780404237995782629?t=pYsOkhOTUQGIESeH73bc6A&s=19

Atlantisssssssssssssssssss