Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
is this some local Facebook-like thing or something. I got a letter in my mail with an invite code like it was some bougie crap. I signed up and found this within 30 seconds. I really hope I get to meet this guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I follow lovely, not enough bbq chicken wing pics IMO

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

We got an invite in the mail in the early days of the pandemic. I was excited to sign up and go see what my weird neighbors would post on there, going by all the ridiculous things the internet led me to expect from Nextdoor.

Alas, my neighbors were loving boring and I didn't even get a slight chuckle at a Karen's expense.

Disappointed does not even begin to

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Nextdoor is all about posting lost dog notices, promoting your MLM, or hating on libs.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I often wished I grew up in BBQ chicken wings, but alas I was lucky enough to just hear of them as a child.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

People love to warn about “suspicious” characters...

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

The best I’ve got right now is this extremely boomer list of fast food that doesn’t really exist/is dying in this part of the country (Southern California)

Also, we already have 3 of these restaurants.

Near the beginning of the pandemic there were some more zingers out there. I’ll keep an eye out OP

MrQueasy fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 28, 2021

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My neighbour started talking about Bill Gates creating AIDS as a test run for COVID so he could take over the world so I bet if our neighbourhood had this app it would be wild

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Or stupid. Probably stupid because I would be on it.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
i almost signed up for nextdoor but just the first page hit me with painful HOA vibes and i fled screaming

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Professor Shark posted:

My neighbour started talking about Bill Gates creating AIDS as a test run for COVID so he could take over the world so I bet if our neighbourhood had this app it would be wild

Your neighbor sounds cool

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

red brock house have garbage bin out three day now

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Often people post pictures of "wolves" then get told they are coyotes in my neck of the woods

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Q != E

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Imagine wanting to interact with your neighbors or know anything about them :shudder:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
As GK Chesterton wrote, "The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because generally they are the same people."

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Every other post on nextdoor:

“DID ANYONE ELSE HEAR GUNSHOTS??”

(The answer is always “no” because there were no gunshots).

Also they inexplicably invited me to be a community moderator. Turns out it’s hilarious because they crowd source moderation so the behind the scenes bickering is even funnier.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
MTLcompilerS :downsbravo:

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
Nextdoor is good when someone posts dispatch logs when lots of sirens go off, or if someone lost their dog, or who is Q nuts but the numerous flags and one giant trump cutout peeking over the fence that's still up does that last job better.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

MrQueasy posted:

The best I’ve got right now is this extremely boomer list of fast food that doesn’t really exist/is dying in this part of the country (Southern California)

Also, we already have 3 of these restaurants.

Near the beginning of the pandemic there were some more zingers out there. I’ll keep an eye out OP

bring taco time from the PNW imo

need more lovely fake mexican food in SoCal

i wanna join that nextdoor to make this happen

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
My nextdoor has a lot of posts saying we desperately need a grocery store. There are two within two miles of the neighborhood (a Kroger and a non-national chain). Maybe they want a bodega type grocery store? Well, we have two Family Dollars (holdovers from before gentrification), and a gas station convenience store. Well, that's not good enough because they want fresh fruits and vegetables. We also have a vegan grocery store that sells fresh fruits and vegetables. That's not good enough because its too expensive for "real people."

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I moved into a new place last October and got several flyers about joining the neighborhood Nextdoor. I didn't because gently caress that bullshit, so I got another flyer after about a week wondering why I didn't join.

I presume this put me on a shitlist with the insane boomers who occupy this neighborhood. Shortly after, I bought a junker car to work on as a quarantine project and got a phone call from "the city" wanting to know about the "broken down vehicle" in my driveway.

The number was from like, the actual city hall front desk or some poo poo. I called the city back about it and they said it wasn't them who called, nor would they care about a vehicle parked in a driveway. So it's some looney fuckin guy who lives around me and has somehow acquired my phone number, who doesn't like me working on a car in the driveway enough to impersonate a city official about it.

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Nextdoor is all about posting lost dog notices, promoting your MLM, or hating on libs.

It's this

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
those are loss-leaders to get you in the store op, nextdoor's real profit drivers are racism and loneliness

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Smugworth posted:

Often people post pictures of "wolves" then get told they are coyotes in my neck of the woods

We have bobcats, which some people insist must be "big housecats" because this is an urban area

Even when the bobcat thread is about the bobcat eating feral cats

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Best of Nextdoor is a top tier Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/1364794978740756484

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Top tier infuckingdeed!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD
sometimes a good joke slips through, so I can't bring myself to hate it

https://twitter.com/hamstertalk/status/1060389337521643520

BRICKFACE
Apr 20, 2002

I BITE
I signed up for nextdoor because I was excited to move in to my neighborhood and now I hate every single one of my lovely, stupid neighbors

can't tell if this is a bug or a feature of the app

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I love it. It reminds me of this one lady on our block growing up that had nothing to do but stand in her yard and stare at everyone's houses and make assumptions about what everyone is up to. She would then stop my mom or us and loudly expose whatever drama she happened to see. Except now it's every suspicious old person coming out of the woodwork thesmelves to accuse random teenagers ringing doorbells of "casing the neighborhood for robbery." My favorite genre is also "What is that noise?" Someone always answers gunshots, no matter the noise described. "Hey did anyone on this street hear a weird howling for 5 minutes at 3 AM?" "Yeah sounded like gunshots to me" every time.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

If you walk slowly in front of someone's house and glance towards it for a second then you, too, will immediately be featured on NextDoor for being a FILTHY CRIMINAL

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Around here it seems to be an app for complaining about the trains that these neighborhoods were literally built around. Oh, and for asking if anyone heard gunshots, but living in a neighborhood called "The Bloody Nickel" they usually are legitimately gun shots.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

social media is simultaneously the worst and best invention of all time

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I signed up for it in my neighborhood, it was mostly about missing cats and dogs and made me sad so I uninstalled.

PFT has a podcast riffing on things from Nextdoor that's pretty good.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I often wonder what gets posted on the local nextdoor page for this place. It's mainly filled with retired boomers. We've got a neighbor that loves to randomly launch off mortars for unknown reasons, a guy that works on go-karts, out of his toy hauler, in the street, and some folks that let their dogs roam.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Seeing normal people whose houses you live by insist that covid vaccines are satanic pedophile juice is a little sobering to say the least

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Pretty much my experience as well, it's become a local version of Parler/Patriots.win for the racist lunatics you never want to meet around the block... but possibly already have and just didn't know it.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I joined when I moved in 2015. One of my wife’s friends lived in the neighborhood and gave us an invite. Somehow I’ve been made a mod in the past year and I have no idea why - maybe because I never post? I mainly just vote whether or not to remove things based on how chuddy they are. :shrug:

Smugworth posted:

We got a post of “BEWARE COYOTES” accompanied by a photo of some cool foxes.

Otherwise my neighborhood Nextdoor is mostly just people looking for contractors willing to work for pocket lint and frozen shrimp.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
OP, could you tell what that police helicopter was saying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Fartington Butts posted:

If you walk slowly in front of someone's house and glance towards it for a second are black then you, too, will immediately be featured on NextDoor for being a FILTHY CRIMINAL