Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

It's real useful for knowing whether there are coyotes in my neighborhood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I looked on mine but it was nothing funny or weird, just some people asking about part time jobs and lost airpods :/

Where do you guys live where you have covid deniers and insane racists in your neighborhoods?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Dear whoever got my walmart delivery - i wanted to let you know I called and complained and got a NEW order. ENJOY THE FREE GROCERIES. I hope you die.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

AHH F/UGH posted:

I looked on mine but it was nothing funny or weird, just some people asking about part time jobs and lost airpods :/

Where do you guys live where you have covid deniers and insane racists in your neighborhoods?

The United States

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
So many people babbling about gunshots, it never ends.
Listen, Mabel, I grew up in a rural area where guns were just another tool, and if you have to ask ‘was that a gunshot?’...it wasn’t. If it WAS a gunshot, you say HOLY poo poo WHERE DID THAT GUNSHOT COME FROM.
And just because a car drives down the street slowly doesn’t mean it’s burglars casing your house in order to steal your valuable collection of milk glass and commemorative plates, it’s usually a DoorDash or Uber or Amazon driver trying to read your lovely excuse for address numbers.

rant over. I uninstalled after about two weeks. All the lost pets made me sad as well.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I just created an account, logged in, saw that the primary topic was a small homeless camp in the area, and deactivated my account.

It was pretty much the boring liberal versus center right extra-whitebread crap I expected.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I lived in the same house for 5 years and heard gunshots exactly one time. However, nextdoor informed me that there are nightly gunshots in all directions and that the gangs are out of control.

Also, every house is apparently being "cased" by unsavory gangsters dozens of times per week. The sure sign is that someone rings your doorbell and then leaves when you don't answer. Alternatively, anyone selling any service or product door to door.

The Ring doorbells have been like crack for next-door. Unlimited blurry videos of people walking past houses, knocking on doors, driving by... Sketchy character! Watch out!

What were all of those sirens about?!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

you broke my grill posted:

It's real useful for knowing whether there are coyotes in my neighborhood

Are there?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

It's now a weekly occurrence in my neighborhood after drought and reduced traffic has brought them down from the hills. The worst part is the resulting comments where an alarming amount of people still leave their cats outside.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Guys, I saw a white SUV driving down my street really slowly... anyone else had the same experience?!?!

eat poo poo gently caress off

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
i really like to think that nooner has a nextdoor

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
It's just a site to violently hate the homeless on

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

big dyke energy posted:

It's just a site to violently hate the homeless on

You don't even have to be homeless. I've seen posts hating on pedestrians. Like, people walking on the sidewalk.

"Guys, I saw this guy walking down my sidewalk at 10:30 PM last night. IS HE CASING THE JOINT?!?"

*Picture of completely normal looking middle aged man wearing a base ball cap, sports jacket, and blue jeans*

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Fartington Butts posted:

It's now a weekly occurrence in my neighborhood after drought and reduced traffic has brought them down from the hills. The worst part is the resulting comments where an alarming amount of people still leave their cats outside.

Those poor kitties.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i moved next to the airport and apparently theres a lotta nextdoor spam complaining about airplane noise

the airport is like 50 years old, its the largest airport within 400 miles, like, this city exists basically to serve the airport and peeps still complain anout airplane noise

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ninjoatse.cx posted:

You don't even have to be homeless. I've seen posts hating on pedestrians. Like, people walking on the sidewalk.

"Guys, I saw this guy walking down my sidewalk at 10:30 PM last night. IS HE CASING THE JOINT?!?"

*Picture of completely normal looking middle aged man wearing a base ball cap, sports jacket, and blue jeans*

completely normal looking and i got a guess about the race, i bet

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

gently caress, I already did! Why didn't you warn me earlier?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i moved next to the airport and apparently theres a lotta nextdoor spam complaining about airplane noise

the airport is like 50 years old, its the largest airport within 400 miles, like, this city exists basically to serve the airport and peeps still complain anout airplane noise

People are the same everyone. People move to a town that has one of the busiest cargo rail lines in the US cutting it in half along the length. Flagstaff AZ is 140 years old, still younger than the railroad going through it, people move there and complain about trains. It's impossible to miss the trains. About 100 1.5 mile long trains per day. You will hear trains during your day there.

I joined my local nextdoor in the Phoenix area so I could try to sell my car on it. Ended up finding a buyer who paid my full asking price after only two people flaked out after sending a message that was pretty much just "car still ffor sale" and never responding after I replied within the hour. I promptly turned off every notification possible afterward.

It was mostly just boring though. POLICE ALERT about something happening 40 miles away. "Need handyman to do major work, will only pay $25. I don't want ripped off!" For sale, old half broken garbage, priced at 98% MSRP. Coyote spotted! Then Missing Cat posts. (Keep your pets inside assholes!)

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I signed up for Nextdoor and lasted about 5 minutes worth of browsing before deleting my account. It's a sewer, contained in an app.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
We’ve got a good one going right now where lady A is stalking lady B and taking pictures of her because lady B refuses to pick up her own dog’s poo poo.

Now lady B has called in a legion of “refuse to pick up dogshit” defenders and they have a lovely little post/report war going on which I am gleefully encouraging because I am a fantastic moderator.

Edit: I should also mention that Nextdoor encourages a bizarrely passive-aggressive moderation strategy where you confront bad posters with “suggestions” and “friendly reminders”.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Frank Frank posted:

We’ve got a good one going right now where lady A is stalking lady B and taking pictures of her because lady B refuses to pick up her own dog’s poo poo.

Now lady B has called in a legion of “refuse to pick up dogshit” defenders and they have a lovely little post/report war going on which I am gleefully encouraging because I am a fantastic moderator.

Edit: I should also mention that Nextdoor encourages a bizarrely passive-aggressive moderation strategy where you confront bad posters with “suggestions” and “friendly reminders”.

This sounds great and would love updates

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I logged into it with an obv fake name to see if I might eventually sell jewelry on it or whatever and then I was poo poo posting at chuds bitching about the mask regs and one of them like reported me and I got banned 😆😆😆

This happened right away I was proud :dance:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

MrQueasy posted:

The best I’ve got right now is this extremely boomer list of fast food that doesn’t really exist/is dying in this part of the country (Southern California)

Also, we already have 3 of these restaurants.

Near the beginning of the pandemic there were some more zingers out there. I’ll keep an eye out OP
I just wanted to let you know you did a really bad job of obscuring your neighborhood names, and I now know the neighborhood of SoCal you live in so you may want to update your image if you care. Also you should vote for Sonic.

gently caress SNEEP posted:

bring taco time from the PNW imo

need more lovely fake mexican food in SoCal

i wanna join that nextdoor to make this happen
Real Taco Time is so good, but a few years ago someone licensed the Taco Time name/logo/menu and opened some in the Southwest, and they are not the same. I was shocked to see a Taco Time when passing though Phoenix one time, but their food was terrible and clearly not made with the same recipes. I don't know if they're still around, but don't be fooled by these impostors.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Knormal posted:

I just wanted to let you know you did a really bad job of obscuring your neighborhood names, and I now know the neighborhood of SoCal you live in so you may want to update your image if you care. Also you should vote for Sonic.

Thanks, on my phone it looked ok. If you show up at my doorstep you have to bring coffee.

But why would I vote for sonic? Is more than one per county necessary?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
uptown urban neighborhood here. its mostly:

- police helicopter is saying something
- homeless people being problems
- lost cats and coyote warning posts (these are related)
- complaining about loud motos and cars
- people complaining about people/places who are lax on COVID safety

its mostly useless. oh and theres the occasional broke brained person going on about 5G and poo poo.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
nextdoor starting out as a place for neighbors to interact and help one another out but devolving in to racism and confused old people is the perfect metaphor for suburban living

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

nextdoor starting out as a place for neighbors to interact and help one another out but devolving in to racism and confused old people is the perfect metaphor for suburban living

We don't really have Next door here but the village Facebook group does the job. People are obsessed with people trying to steal thier horses. Especially the idea they would use "Gypsy braids" to mark which horses to steal. In a world where WhatsApp exists im not sure braiding horses manes would be the go to.

They have at least worked out you can't just call people gypsies and tend to go for 'non-local' or Irish to describe suspicious folk.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Everyone in my neighbourhood already knows me on sight. I'm the tall, well-spoken, bearded guy. Often sighted walking his cat on a leash.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Can I make an account that won't be my actual name and address? I'd love to troll my neighbors by starting a satanic panic about myself.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

r u ready to WALK posted:

social media is simultaneously the worst and best invention of all time

It ruined our society lol

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

completely normal looking and i got a guess about the race, i bet

Joke's on you, with only infrared everyone looks black ;)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

EvilJoven posted:

It ruined our society lol

Nah it only exposed the rot that was always there

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
ok i looked a bit further and i am def not signing up for nextdoor because my neighborhood has the stupidest name

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Taco Time mexi-fries are worth the invasion of privacy imo

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I like to idle my car in the neighborhood late at night just reading a book or something so that the following day I can read Nextdoor entries about a "suspicious black man sitting in a car for hours probably a drug deal" even though my skin is so pale it could be sculpted from marble but if I can stoke the fears of huge fukin idiots for even a moment it is worth it

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

AHH F/UGH posted:

I'm in a blue county in blue Illinois (not Chicago), and we had a full-on WWG1WGA poster for a while, another deranged Trumper poster named "Bull" who liked to threaten apocalyptic violence on "liberals" (once again, blue county, blue Illinois), and a COVID denier named Piotr who Kramer'd onto any post about COVID/vaccines/masks, etc to spread bullshit.

All three of them appear to have been banned over time, or else just logged off on their own. I think it depends on who your neighborhood "Lead" is, and I think the Leads are just the first person to register your neighborhood. Got a relatively normal person as a Lead? Then at least you won't have flagrant racism and QAnon poo poo. But if your Lead is some flavor of chud? Yeah, the whole thing's probably hosed from day one.

PirateDentist posted:

"Need handyman to do major work, will only pay $25. I don't want ripped off!" For sale, old half broken garbage, priced at 98% MSRP. Coyote spotted! Then Missing Cat posts. (Keep your pets inside assholes!)

This right here is the essence of Nextdoor no matter where you live and who your neighborhood Lead is.

But I learn, like, one useful thing from it every year, so I get the daily digest emails. And I use my mod powers to vote to remove any chud posts that get reported (most reported posts are just spam, mostly from realtors, MLM'ers, and "financial advisors.")

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I like to idle my car in the neighborhood late at night just reading a book or something so that the following day I can read Nextdoor entries about a "suspicious black man sitting in a car for hours probably a drug deal" even though my skin is so pale it could be sculpted from marble but if I can stoke the fears of huge fukin idiots for even a moment it is worth it

Maybe they meant to say a "blank man" because it looks like you love blankets?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Maybe they meant to say a "blank man" because it looks like you love blankets?

That sounds more like Slenderman sightings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I need to order another blanket for when I'm at my computer. Recommend me some blankets