Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Asuron posted:

That's how I'm reading it as well , that finally settles the complaint about why Gojo didn't read it and why he didn't have to chant for that one specific instance

i honestly think it's very funny to clarify this after months of sukuna just doing ridiculous stuff rather than at the time

extremely jojo chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

cgfreak posted:

Is he... breakdancing through Sukuna's CT? This is peak lmao

Also, if I'm getting it right, Sukuna imposed a binding vow to skip hand signs in order to throw an instant, unpredictable Strong Cleave at Gojo, condition being that he has to go through extra hoops (chant, hand signs, impart direction) to cast it from then on? That's really clever.

Ok but what about the one he sent at Yuta with all 4 hands occupied and his tongue cut out?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The Binding Vow explanation helps a lot with the ending of the Gojo fight, even though I still dislike the World-cutting Dismantle as a concept given it's, well, boring. This was a pretty decent chapter, I'm fully expecting Sukuna to regain the use of his domain and barrier techniques next chapter given how much talk there was about his lack of domain expansion abilities here.

RatHat posted:

Ok but what about the one he sent at Yuta with all 4 hands occupied and his tongue cut out?

I don't think he had all his hands occupied and regenerated his tongue. Admittedly, it's hard to parse if that was even supposed to be a world-rending dismantle or whatever the gently caress we're supposed to call it, or just a chant-empowered Dismantle that could cut Yuta because of how close he'd gotten.

Now, maybe in 20 chapters we'll get a development that will make the sequestered Kamutoke and Higuruma's sword just fizzling out feel better lol.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Now, maybe in 20 chapters we'll get a development that will make the sequestered Kamutoke and Higuruma's sword just fizzling out feel better lol.

As further evidenced by this chapter the explanation for Higuruma's sword is simply that Gege wants Yuji to suffer.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

lmao glad to see that "he just stood there and watched it happen and if you could READ you would KNOW THAT" got thoroughly sunk

e: and as one could have guessed it relied on the calvinball part of the fiction, and off-screening Gojo just made it pointlessly confusing for the rug pull

e: e: this does, to me, further raise the question of why someone on the protagonist side isn't trying to do a Gon, other than HxH already did it.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 28, 2024

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I used to love JJK, still do even though its bad now, but I have never once been as stunned as I was this chapter

idk what Gege is cookin but I can smell it waftin' from over here

Gojo canonically racist was not on my bingo card. And Miguel's CT appears to be... rhythm...? Will need to wait for finals but that appears to be the case. Luckily we appear to be progressing to Yuji's fight finally.

Valentin posted:

e: e: this does, to me, further raise the question of why someone on the protagonist side isn't trying to do a Gon, other than HxH already did it.

Honestly the binding vow stuff has been handled intensely poorly. It was bad enough in HxH (even if it did produce the pretty goated Gon stuff) but the basic idea of a binding vow is just ludicrous and requires that you completely suspend all disbelief, even by shonen standards.

Like, where are the binding vows whenever someone is fighting someone and losing? Who wouldn't do a binding vow if the alternative is dying?

It's not compelling

cgfreak posted:

Is he... breakdancing through Sukuna's CT? This is peak lmao

Also, if I'm getting it right, Sukuna imposed a binding vow to skip hand signs in order to throw an instant, unpredictable Strong Cleave at Gojo, condition being that he has to go through extra hoops (chant, hand signs, impart direction) to cast it from then on? That's really clever.

is it tho

Shinjobi posted:

Gojo and Usopp, weird about black people 4 life

seriously.

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 28, 2024

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What did Usopp do?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

RatHat posted:

What did Usopp do?

Terrible old fan translation of the Davy Back Fight

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Afros being used by successful boxers got twisted into something really weird by bad translations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Shinjobi posted:

To me Eyeshield 21 was the most dramatic example of this, because it would deliver the same text about it whenever Jaguar showed up.

EDIT: my bad his name was Panther... ofc.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Gonna wait till I see a better translation to pass judgment on that, I think my experience from reading manga leads me to believe Japan is pretty tone deaf about those kinds of things for a modern western audience, but if it's just Gojo being like "Miguel is also way more jacked than any Japanese sorcerer" and Miguel being like "don't be racist bro" as a joke then whatever

feeling justified for speculating about how Gojo got caught out by the world slash when even Kusakabe predicted and dodged it, it is pretty calvinball-ish to retroactively clarify months afterwards, but the logic fits for JJK and it is a pretty clever application of a minor binding vow to cast a spell with no wind-up once at the cost of telegraphing it forevermore after that

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

there an updated link? I've gotta read this chapter lmao

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Gojo the racist twink is a very funny bit.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

It absolutely reads like Gege has been sweating and furiously thinking about how to explain the end of the Gojo fight and finally landed on something plausible lmao

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tonfa posted:

It absolutely reads like Gege has been sweating and furiously thinking about how to explain the end of the Gojo fight and finally landed on something plausible lmao

This thread is still so funny

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
He should contract Yusuke Murata to redraw the sequence after he breaks down and retcons it.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
seems like Calvinball because it’s still not explained who or what people make binding vows with, and what determines the terms. It’s obviously something tied to cursed energy since that’s also tied to fate or something. And Sukuna being an expert at making these vows is likely connected to him experiencing death and coming back, thereby gaining some esoteric knowledge about how everything works. This lets him game the system, or at least cut deals that appear to work in his favor.

Like, asking God if I can use my super special op technique without any restrictions just-this-once so I can land a sneak attack on possibly the greatest sorcerer that will ever come close to rivaling me in exchange for adding all these additional steps everytime I want to use this attack in the future forever, sounds like a fair deal? Except I can get around all the dumb restrictions by being able to regenerate + having 4 arms and 2 mouths + no one will ever come close to threatening me after this one guy is dead so these restrictions don’t really matter. art of the deal

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

yum posted:

seems like Calvinball because it’s still not explained who or what people make binding vows with, and what determines the terms. It’s obviously something tied to cursed energy since that’s also tied to fate or something. And Sukuna being an expert at making these vows is likely connected to him experiencing death and coming back, thereby gaining some esoteric knowledge about how everything works. This lets him game the system, or at least cut deals that appear to work in his favor.

Like, asking God if I can use my super special op technique without any restrictions just-this-once so I can land a sneak attack on possibly the greatest sorcerer that will ever come close to rivaling me in exchange for adding all these additional steps everytime I want to use this attack in the future forever, sounds like a fair deal? Except I can get around all the dumb restrictions by being able to regenerate + having 4 arms and 2 mouths + no one will ever come close to threatening me after this one guy is dead so these restrictions don’t really matter. art of the deal

Binding Vows are made with cursed energy itself. The terms are what someone believes is an acceptable price to pay for what they want and they have to genuinely believe that price is worthwhile because they can't lie to themselves.

You might be thinking of Heavenly Restrictions which people are born with.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Isn't the premise of binding vows that if you break them you die? Due to curse stuff?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Isn't the premise of binding vows that if you break them you die? Due to curse stuff?

The penalty is "the loss of whatever was gained from the contract." What this means is a bit up to debate but as presented it's not just "you lose the ability to do it" but some kind of genuine and serious backlash.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
All this tells me is that Gojo was better

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
But Heavenly Restrictions are also binding vows and those aren’t made with conscious consent. Who is making the vow?

I hope Hakari does some cool vow stuff, he’s the only person on team good that’s used them effectively (sorry Miwa)

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Jerkface posted:

IIRC the rule is, if it's a binding vow you just make to the nebulous force behind CE then you just lose whatever benefit you gained from the binding vow. If you make a binding vow with someone else and you break it, the penalty is completely unpredictable so people take those extremely seriously.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

yum posted:

But Heavenly Restrictions are also binding vows and those aren’t made with conscious consent. Who is making the vow?

I hope Hakari does some cool vow stuff, he’s the only person on team good that’s used them effectively (sorry Miwa)

Heavenly Restrictions are something you're born with, like a cursed jutsu birth defect. It's just something that happens to you. They're a cursed restriction but not a vow. The nature of Cursed Energy though is that any restrictions placed upon it also inherently comes with benefits tied to it.

Like it's worth noting that Maki was born with a Heavenly Restriction but it kind of sucked since she neither had access to Cursed Energy in any meaningful way nor had the invincible body that came with having been cut off from using CE entirely. (Because she was tied to her sister.) It's not always a great super awesome thing, you can just end up like Maki and kind of suck. It wasn't until Mai died and took all of Maki's cursed energy with her that the Heavenly Restriction was truly complete.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 28, 2024

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Thanks for the clear definitions, very helpful.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Aw gently caress he found my receipt for a daikon stuffed with knife from Aldi's, my b Megumi

This culling game arc has very fun abilities

Goddamn, Megumi is gonna get his second ever win here

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 28, 2024

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Reggie Star was such good character

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

ImpAtom posted:

Binding Vows are made with cursed energy itself. The terms are what someone believes is an acceptable price to pay for what they want and they have to genuinely believe that price is worthwhile because they can't lie to themselves.

You might be thinking of Heavenly Restrictions which people are born with.

I guess ignorance really is bliss then.

CharlestonJew posted:

IIRC the rule is, if it's a binding vow you just make to the nebulous force behind CE then you just lose whatever benefit you gained from the binding vow. If you make a binding vow with someone else and you break it, the penalty is completely unpredictable so people take those extremely seriously.

So Sukuna can just break his Binding Vow since it was a one-time benefit to begin with? If he can break it to begin with, which makes it sound more like a restriction than a vow.

I think generally the issue with binding vows is you start wondering why character x didn't use a binding vow to get out of situation y.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Seems like a pretty big cursed energy loophole that you can make incredibly powerful binding vows with yourself then immediately break them after the damage is done. 🤔

I went back and checked and sure enough Chapter 79, Kenjaku says the only penalty for a self imposed binding vow is losing what was gained. Why doesn't Miwa just swing her drat sword again, GEGE? What will she lose? The temporary powerup that Kenjaku no sold anyways?!

Lord forgive me but im making another binding vow

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Miwa doesnt have that dog in her to break it

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

anyone got a working link? the one above is broken

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

MorningMoon posted:

Aw gently caress he found my receipt for a daikon stuffed with knife from Aldi's, my b Megumi

This culling game arc has very fun abilities

Goddamn, Megumi is gonna get his second ever win here

Reggie Star is probably the most underrated fight in the series and the second best fight in the Culling Game.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Wait is that why Hakari got his arm back? Cuz hes a bad enough dude to sac it with a binding vow then just break the binding vow later?!

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

JahRoo posted:

anyone got a working link? the one above is broken

https://rentry.co/Jjk255

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jerkface posted:

Wait is that why Hakari got his arm back? Cuz hes a bad enough dude to sac it with a binding vow then just break the binding vow later?!

Hakari’s vow was increasingly the CE protection on the rest of his body in exchange for leaving his arm with no protection.

I think a vow that imposes a penalty like Miwa’s never use a sword again just can’t be broken.

A vow like Nanami’s overtime is one that could, as he would just lose the benefit of the vow.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

lol sukuna constructing a vow around malicious compliance owns

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Reggie Star was such good character
Naturally charismatic with an interesting power that lent itself to a great fight. Basically the anti-sukuna. Reggie really was the full package kind of character and the only problem is we lost him so soon after he showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
lol Sukuna pulled that second Black Flash off because he was so hyped at Maki surviving the first one