Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

No Wave posted:

I'm an idiot but did he seriously use one of his two swaps on kusakabe???

We are now at endgame!!!

I think the second one was to undo the first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How the gently caress is Ino enduring the Malevolent Shrine lol

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ytlaya posted:

How the gently caress is Ino enduring the Malevolent Shrine lol

Dude gets owned hardcore before inexplicably coming back just to get owned again a lot. He's got some secret or something.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

LETS loving GOOOOOOOOO

yota821
Sep 3, 2006
Is that Miwa helping Maki out with simple domain?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It looks like everyone was taught Simple Domain. Yuji was taught both Simple Domain and RCT because he had loop holes that would let him figure them out.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Stairmaster posted:

I think the second one was to undo the first
So he swapped with Hakari, Yuta, or Choso for RCT and learned Kusakabe's simple domain on his own?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Glad to finally get an answer to the body swapping, Gege's usage of these delayed flashbacks can be annoying as you wait for the other shoe to drop but this answered a lot of questions! What is MOST important in this chapter is of course Yuji tanking malevolent shrine like the terminator he is. That panel from the end of culling game was one of the best and this is a RETVRN

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm a bit disappointed that the body swap thing is just Hyperbolic Time Chamber but oh well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

No Wave posted:

So he swapped with Hakari, Yuta, or Choso for RCT and learned Kusakabe's simple domain on his own?

He swapped with Kusakabe to learn Simple Domain, ate the Death Paintings to learn Blood Manipulation and RCT from that.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Looking good but are we starting to go into abrupt vomitative exposition shonen endgame rush territory? The rapidfire series of answers we're getting to longstanding questions, Sukuna bringing out the fire arrow, etc, make me worried that all of a sudden the manga is about to end in 10 chapters

It doesn't actually feel like we're going to get much comeuppance for Sukuna, which I guess is to be expected. I mean yeah he's starting to poo poo himself as he realizes that it's looking more and more like the end of the road if he doesn't end this fight in the next few minutes, but he pretty much proved that he's without a doubt the strongest sorcerer to have ever existed by a considerable margin. "drat, every living sorcerer of note ganging up on me managed to put me down again right after I beat my only rival in the modern world" is still a loss and maybe a blow to his pride though I guess lol

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

He swapped with Kusakabe to learn Simple Domain, ate the Death Paintings to learn Blood Manipulation and RCT from that.
agreed. i was thinking choso had to be the other swap, but on reread it sounds like he could learn "blood RCT" from anyone as long as he ate the rest of the death paintings

ImpAtom posted:

I'm a bit disappointed that the body swap thing is just Hyperbolic Time Chamber but oh well.
hasn't that sort of been a given as soon as the mystery training month was established? i do hope we get more scenes of the prep, but i think i'd be more disappointed if the month was a generic "everyone got better, but not as good as sukuna"

also yeah i cannot believe ino is still alive lmao

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

soul swap is small beans compared to the reveal that OPEN is just the stove in sukuna's malevolent kitchen

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

JahRoo posted:

soul swap is small beans compared to the reveal that OPEN is just the stove in sukuna's malevolent kitchen

surprised more people didnt think of this tbh, lmao. so peak....

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
wondering who the second person Yuji swapped with. It’s a huge stretch for him to pull off a domain expansion, but he unlocked Sukuna’s technique after 3(?) black flashes, so 4 more to go, and now it’s revealed he knows domain basics. If there’s any possibility, it’s gotta be one of the DE naturals like Hakari or Hirugima or possibly Yuta. Plus, he already knows what his innate domain looks like since he scuffled with Sukuna there. What would a shrine that does little copy paste scissors look like?

yum fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 26, 2024

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I assumed the 2 swaps were Yuji->Kusakabe and then Kusakabe->Yuji.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Oh, that makes sense. that’s what I get for speed reading the lq scans.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

if Yuji's soul got imprinted with most/all of Kusakabe's techniques, I wonder if he can simple domain: throw hands with those gauntlets and give sukuna an extra rapid beatdown. This would also retroactively (further) justify the entire chapter dedicated to Kusakabe's 1v1 vs Sukuna in showing off an aspect of Yuji's skillset

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

hah i hadn't thought about the two swaps being required that way but i like it. same with the gauntlets, though gege has thrown plenty of other characters into the sukuna meatgrinder without a larger purpose

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The explanations in this chapter feel pretty weak to be honest, but eh, it's fun and it was foreshadowed.

EDIT: Also, lol at Sukuna using Gojo's handsign to open his domain.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 26, 2024

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Fanscan tl up

https://tcb-backup.bihar-mirchi.com/chapters/7719/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-258

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Twice per person per month, so everyone got switched up? That could lead to some fun reversals though I wish this was said up front and we got a cavalcade of reveals of different twisty techniques during these fights instead of saving it all for now. Yuji being a dodo during these long expositions continues to be amusing, sad to see the crows uselessly getting killed by the domain instead of having been used at any time previously to help fight. Not sure why Open needed to have such secrecy surrounding it given the reveal here either

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 26, 2024

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

There so much inside baseball in this manga. The new shadow thing is the most “huh ok, sure I guess we talked about this before” thing

Either way, the proper translation delivers

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Miwa popping in to provide a simple domain for Maki :3:

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

yum posted:

What would a shrine that does little copy paste scissors look like?

domain expansion: spiteful posting station

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

At this point I really do question why everyone doesn't just start pulling out impromptu binding vows whenever they want too. Sukuna may very well just pull off a third one before this fight is over to save his bacon one last time. Besides that, the Ui Ui soul swapping stuff is interesting without feeling inconsistent with everything we know about soul/body rules for the series.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I think the implication is that performing on the fly binding vows is probably actually really difficult and like spontaneously thinking up an alternate proof to a mathematical theorem, rather than just being like "lol if I don't open cookie jars for the rest of my life can my technique be 3x as powerful this once" in practice. Maybe that's a better description for what Sukuna and Gojo have been doing with their domain conditions, but still, obviously there's some technical difficulty to binding vows or else we'd probably see them even more frequently and with more convoluted conditions

now, that said, gege's cooking. literally

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
We're kinda like yuji in the sense that there's some kind of logical process to jujutsu that we're not privvy to. While it can be explained in plain language, the actual mechanics of swapping souls or binding vows is borderline incomprehensible (both in and out of universe lol).

i guess ui ui's body swap tech is how they "cheated" their way up to barely being able to stand in sukuna's presence. absolutely the last thing i woulda expected

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Oh Snapple! posted:

Miwa popping in to provide a simple domain for Maki :3:

i was confused about that panel but i think you're right, that owns

also lmao

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Tosk posted:

I think the implication is that performing on the fly binding vows is probably actually really difficult and like spontaneously thinking up an alternate proof to a mathematical theorem, rather than just being like "lol if I don't open cookie jars for the rest of my life can my technique be 3x as powerful this once" in practice. Maybe that's a better description for what Sukuna and Gojo have been doing with their domain conditions, but still, obviously there's some technical difficulty to binding vows or else we'd probably see them even more frequently and with more convoluted conditions

I mean, Miwa managed to pull off one without even realizing and she's stated to be a pretty crappy sorcerer, so they can't be *that* difficult.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I mean, Miwa managed to pull off one without even realizing and she's stated to be a pretty crappy sorcerer, so they can't be *that* difficult.

I would assume the difficult part would be gaining a significant benefit from the vow. Considering Miwa didnt even land a hit on Kenjaku in exchange for basically retiring as a sorcerer I don’t think she did a very good job with it

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Rules lawyering yourself out of the field in one of the most deadly professions ever is not necessarily a loss

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Ui Ui being the only one able to do it explains away the common "well why didn't they do this before" complaint

Bro just didn't give a poo poo before this

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Jerkface posted:

Rules lawyering yourself out of the field in one of the most deadly professions ever is not necessarily a loss

this would make sense if you could actually retire and not get dragged back in

I'm just happy we're on the path of peak

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Miwa's vow failed to produce much power because swinging a sword is not a particularly meaningful thing for her; it's just what she had some aptitude with when she got scouted and she wanted to help pay bills.

Katana guy makes the same vow and he probably levels the area.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Popping off a Malformed Shrine here through simplified hand signs + adding extra rules seems entirely consistent between Maki noting Sukuna's RCT had seemingly stopped right before she first got Black Flashed (meaning he was focusing on restoring his Technique), and with how when he used Domain Expansion back in Shibuya the narration explained Binding Vows were part of his masterful implementation of it.

RatHat posted:

I would assume the difficult part would be gaining a significant benefit from the vow. Considering Miwa didnt even land a hit on Kenjaku in exchange for basically retiring as a sorcerer I don’t think she did a very good job with it

While you can include BVs as rote, doing them on the fly definitely comes off as the sort of thing you need to have an intuition for, which is where all the bs about talent or "grasping the nature of Cursed Energy" comes into play.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

lmao yuji in all the flashbacks,

i see... i see; heh guess it must've been my innate talent :)

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't think the problem with the chapter is that this was unforeseen, it was pretty clearly heavily foreshadowed for several chapters, but it's weird and off-putting to get an explanation that just says "oh yeah he made a lot of binding vows and there uncertainties" in the same chapter that decided we needed a more detailed explanation of how Gojo got his mojo back during the fight.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
gonna be honest, I'm more certain now than ever before that a swift kick to Sukuna's balls could probably solve a lot of this

no one's even tried it yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

gonna be honest, I'm more certain now than ever before that a swift kick to Sukuna's balls could probably solve a lot of this

no one's even tried it yet

The Chainsaw Man/Jujutsu Kaisen crossover we need.