Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Just in case he dies, he's taken out his two sets of balls to use as a way to incarnate again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Just in case he dies, he's taken out his two sets of balls to use as a way to incarnate again.

The Jojo's Bizarre Adventure/Jujutsu Kaisen crossover we need.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I honestly don't see the issue with the binding vows poo poo. As said a bit earlier, dude is basically just writing novel mathmatical proofs or intricate legal briefings on the fly in just such a way to get his maximally opitimal desired outcome. It's something you'd need not only an incredibly intimate and deep knowledge of jujutsu of, but also the sort of mind that can take seven black flashes to the face and still think of the entire structure on the fly. If it was simple and trivial to do he wouldn't be the peak of jujutsu. I'd say we could've used examples of loving up binding vows by overambitious people, but again as mentioned previously that's literally Miwa. No one in the modern day side can really risk throwing away their ability to fight right now on something that could just be a wet fart that sukuna shrugs off effortlessly. Sukuna is adding all these extra vows and conditions to his, and it's not like he's explained to anyone else the process by which he does this so it's unreasonable to expect the entire sorcery world to have intuited all of this and minmaxed it already, imo

fakee. hell, im not even sure that it's clear to anyone besides us and the narrator that the binding vow cheese is half the reason he can keep going and do all of this whacky poo poo, to the outside a bunch of it might just look like Sukuna just being That Strong

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
According to Gege in the Databook. Furnace is the strongest single attack we have seen.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I honestly don't see the issue with the binding vows poo poo. As said a bit earlier, dude is basically just writing novel mathmatical proofs or intricate legal briefings on the fly in just such a way to get his maximally opitimal desired outcome. It's something you'd need not only an incredibly intimate and deep knowledge of jujutsu of, but also the sort of mind that can take seven black flashes to the face and still think of the entire structure on the fly. If it was simple and trivial to do he wouldn't be the peak of jujutsu. I'd say we could've used examples of loving up binding vows by overambitious people, but again as mentioned previously that's literally Miwa. No one in the modern day side can really risk throwing away their ability to fight right now on something that could just be a wet fart that sukuna shrugs off effortlessly. Sukuna is adding all these extra vows and conditions to his, and it's not like he's explained to anyone else the process by which he does this so it's unreasonable to expect the entire sorcery world to have intuited all of this and minmaxed it already, imo

fakee. hell, im not even sure that it's clear to anyone besides us and the narrator that the binding vow cheese is half the reason he can keep going and do all of this whacky poo poo, to the outside a bunch of it might just look like Sukuna just being That Strong

The issue is that binding vows come across as more overtly Calvinball and things like “I do handsigns and incant forevermore if I get to do it instantly this one time” doesn’t come across as complex mathematical proofs or whatever, it just comes across as getting to mad lib whatever on the fly. Which then begs the question of why everyone isn’t making arbitrary bargains with themself all the time when the alternative is death.

Don’t get me wrong these last couple pages habe been rad but the binding vows part of all this have been the weakest part by far.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I dunno, I understand that view but to me it's been sufficiently woven into the narrative from the get-go that it doesn't bother me that much.

However, I agree that the inclusion of what happened with Gojo feels like a really weird waste of panel space, and that in general a lot of these reveals do feel like they get handled clumsily on the page itself even if the foreshadowing to back them up has definitely been present throughout the story

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

binding vows would be cool (narratively satisfying) if they were cool (visually impressive or otherwise spectacular). ultimately the same reason they are meaningless and opaque to the protagonists is the same reason they are uninteresting in the broader sweep of the manga: they don't look like anything, they're boring, and they're completely indistinguishable from "didn't see that coming, guess sukuna just has that dog in him"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Underappreciated moment: Yuji's foot getting cut off only for him to reattach it using blood manipulation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Valentin posted:

binding vows would be cool (narratively satisfying) if they were cool (visually impressive or otherwise spectacular). ultimately the same reason they are meaningless and opaque to the protagonists is the same reason they are uninteresting in the broader sweep of the manga: they don't look like anything, they're boring, and they're completely indistinguishable from "didn't see that coming, guess sukuna just has that dog in him"

I don't hate them or anything but they feel a lot like Nen Restrictions from HxH to me, except Nen Restrictions tend to carry a lot more weight to them. Kurapika going "If I use this on the wrong person my loving heart explodes" or everything with Big Hair Gon tend to make it feel more impactful. I think if the consequences for breaking a Vow were more clearly shown and defined it would be fine, but as happened earlier in this thread there isn't even a strong agreement over what breaking a binding vow does.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I've grown convinced that the reason taking out Gojo with the World Dismantle narratively required a BV was to establish that A) Sukuna couldn't do it again for World Dismantle so taking out his limbs allowed a sense of fight progression in enabling an "even fight" and B) set precedent on the trick for a different move that very notoriously requires mudras (Domain Expansion).

Gege's implementation of this setting element isn't the most elegant seeing as how VBs were never explored much in the story and the concept of simplification wasn't even introduced until this arc, but eh, it works for me.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Captain Oblivious posted:

The issue is that binding vows come across as more overtly Calvinball and things like “I do handsigns and incant forevermore if I get to do it instantly this one time” doesn’t come across as complex mathematical proofs or whatever, it just comes across as getting to mad lib whatever on the fly. Which then begs the question of why everyone isn’t making arbitrary bargains with themself all the time when the alternative is death.

Don’t get me wrong these last couple pages habe been rad but the binding vows part of all this have been the weakest part by far.

This is where I'm at, I don't see how that particular BV shows "an incredibly intimate and deep knowledge of jujutsu". There are plenty of other binding vows that are pretty simple too, like revealing your cursed technique or Kento Nanami's overtime. I get that thinking about BVs on the spot is different, but BVs clearly do not have to be mathematically complex or require a deep knowledge of jujutsu.

Also, I hate beating a dead horse, but if any sorcerer was able to come up with a BV on the spot other than Sukuna it would have been Gojo.

It's even hinted at during the fight with Sukuna:

We know that the output increase was not because of a BV, but then why not use a BV to empower the one that was fired off right after? Or to cast another normal one instead of unlimited.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Yeah Gojo not doing it is somewhat of a hole, maybe just because he was somewhat overconfident and too attached to everything he had as-is to be willing to give it all up? I think the deeper theme of attachment/detachment is a big part of why some people are better at it. Having to do hand signs and poo poo going forward can sound kind of trivial to us, but having to adapt your muscle memory to that degree mid-fight going forward without loving it up is somewhat difficult on its own, and adding seconds to your CTs or other skills in a fight like this could very well be the difference between a glancing blow and instant death.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

I've grown convinced that the reason taking out Gojo with the World Dismantle narratively required a BV was to establish that A) Sukuna couldn't do it again for World Dismantle so taking out his limbs allowed a sense of fight progression in enabling an "even fight" and B) set precedent on the trick for a different move that very notoriously requires mudras (Domain Expansion).

Gege's implementation of this setting element isn't the most elegant seeing as how VBs were never explored much in the story and the concept of simplification wasn't even introduced until this arc, but eh, it works for me.

My problem with this idea is that functionally, Sukuna just pulling out BVs to either outright win a fight he would have lost. Or to overcome being crippled when he just feels like not messing around anymore suck any illusion this fight is anything less than still stacked in Sukuna's favor out the window. This is the kind of thing I would have used a character like Hakari for to setup this idea in the reader's mind and Sukuna only gets to use it once himself and probably right here instead of wasting that setup with Gojo.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't hate them or anything but they feel a lot like Nen Restrictions from HxH to me, except Nen Restrictions tend to carry a lot more weight to them. Kurapika going "If I use this on the wrong person my loving heart explodes" or everything with Big Hair Gon tend to make it feel more impactful. I think if the consequences for breaking a Vow were more clearly shown and defined it would be fine, but as happened earlier in this thread there isn't even a strong agreement over what breaking a binding vow does.
With the benefit of hindsight now, JJK definitely should have explained more about how these binding vows work if even a whole school of simple barrier techniques requires a binding vow to learn the normal way.

Another way Togashi adds weight to this concept is that there has only been like one instance of someone outright altering their power in response to a challenge mid-fight. If someone really wants to improve their power they have to live to get some downtime and then they can do it; like how Chrollo added his bookmark or Kurapika his last chain. That does a lot to emphasize that despite the exact rules behind this being equally nebulous, it's not something anyone can just do when they want too. So in a situation like the Chimera Ants arc, when Morel loses the pipe he needs to create new smoke clones. He can't just make new ones at the cost of [X] and instead the rest of the arc has him using his last remaining clones in a very tense standoff with an overwhelmingly powerful opponent. That was good drama that also reinforced how he was being worn down by basically solo carrying most of the operation for over a week.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BVs recently have just been a convenient way to sort of justify Sukuna somewhat circumventing combat mechanics like doing a super Dismantle or having faster regen or whatever. Which like is fine I guess because I never understood the way all these things work in JJK but I do think it would be cleaner if Gege just went "Yeah Sukuna's just that guy and can do crazy poo poo you wouldn't expect because he's the strongest"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
it would be nice contrast if we could see more failure or consequence in the BV space to truly appreciate sukuna doing wild stuff.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It will all be worth it when it's revealed all of Sukuna's BVs were made with condition to never respect Yuji and he just starts imploding because Yuji surpasses his furnace.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

load bearing Hater-ing leading to his downfall would be an amazing twist for sure

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Furnace is probably pretty crazy considering Sukuna at 16 fingers out-fired an insanely powerful cursed spirit whose entire thing was fire.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I can't wait to see Sukuna's Air Frier and Instant Pot combo

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yuji is going to tank this hit and drag Sukuna's arrogant rear end to an all you can eat buffet and Sukuna will poo poo himself to death

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Yuji is going to tank this hit and drag Sukuna's arrogant rear end to an all you can eat buffet and Sukuna will poo poo himself to death

Domain Expansion: Golden Corral

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Underappreciated moment: Yuji's foot getting cut off only for him to reattach it using blood manipulation.

o I didn't even notice that, that's cool

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Did Miwa just loving die from that stunt

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

Furnace is probably pretty crazy considering Sukuna at 16 fingers out-fired an insanely powerful cursed spirit whose entire thing was fire.

Kusakabe already said he does not think any of them can survive it cause Jogo could not. Gege also said in the Databook that it's the single most powerful attack shown so far in the series.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

MonsterEnvy posted:

Kusakabe already said he does not think any of them can survive it cause Jogo could not. Gege also said in the Databook that it's the single most powerful attack shown so far in the series.

I think Yuji is gonna survive it and force Sukuna to choke on his haterade

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

I bet I could survive it.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Yuji will simply catch the arrow because it is what would piss off Sukuna the most. He will do this via binding vow of “I will catch this arrow this one time but any other time I have this attack aimed at me I will be unable to react”, which is fine because Sukuna will get so angry he just loving dies.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

yeah, it's a crazy strong technique, but Sukuna is pretty diminished and I doubt we're going to see its full glory.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
takeba jumps in and swallows the fire arrow, pauses, and burps out a perfect smoke ring

"that's a spicy meat-a-ball!"

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

takeba jumps in and swallows the fire arrow, pauses, and burps out a perfect smoke ring

then we cut to kenjaku in the airport for one last bit

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Electric Phantasm posted:

It will all be worth it when it's revealed all of Sukuna's BVs were made with condition to never respect Yuji and he just starts imploding because Yuji surpasses his furnace.

I could maybe see the condition being "as long as (I believe) I am the world's greatest sorcerer."

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Scholtz posted:

I could maybe see the condition being "as long as (I believe) I am the world's greatest sorcerer."

As long as I can keep playing 'You're the Best" in my head non-stop

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Oxxidation posted:

Ridiculous.

He would fart the smoke ring.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So kenjaku won right? Like the merger is happening just with sukuna now but killing sukuna doesn't necessarily stop it?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He put "Megumi Fushigoro" in charge so if they beat Sukuna then Megumi will have his body back and can just stop it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
They have to activate the merger i thought its not automatic?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He put "Megumi Fushigoro" in charge so if they beat Sukuna then Megumi will have his body back and can just stop it.

even odds megumi activates it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am certain the guy who was basically suicidal before he became immensely traumatized, got possessed, and murdered his own sister and mentor is absolutely going to make healthy choices.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dude just can't help himself even when collaborating on specialty drinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jose posted:

So kenjaku won right? Like the merger is happening just with sukuna now but killing sukuna doesn't necessarily stop it?

Culling Game has to end for it to activate. Which involves Sukuna killing all remaining players.