Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

And she can't really be blamed for anything given that the one who gave her the scars was probably the 2nd or 3rd most powerful Curse Spirit we have seen, and everyone else who got burned by him died.

I'm sure her lovely family will find a way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Jogou I want to say was confirmed as the strongest of the disaster curses and they're a cut above every actual cursed spirit or fleshed curse shown in the series so far that isn't Sukuna. I know Okkutsu gets played up a lot but I'm not actually sure he could've taken Jogou or Mahito due to general incompatibility in techniques (Jougou being able to just poo poo out massively powerful heat AOEs that even the Zenin frameskip poo poo can't effectively dodge, and Mahito being effectively invulnerable to anyone whose technique can't damage his soul). Jougou kinda hilariously gets humiliated in every straight up fight he has outside of him stopping by to hurt all our favorite charcters, because he ends up fighting the two characters shown so far who're capable of just overhand dunking on him- Gojo and Sukuna.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

Jogou I want to say was confirmed as the strongest of the disaster curses and they're a cut above every actual cursed spirit or fleshed curse shown in the series so far that isn't Sukuna. I know Okkutsu gets played up a lot but I'm not actually sure he could've taken Jogou or Mahito due to general incompatibility in techniques (Jogou being able to just poo poo out massively powerful heat AOEs that even the Zenin frameskip poo poo can't effectively dodge, and Mahito being effectively invulnerable to anyone whose technique can't damage his soul). Jogou kinda hilariously gets humiliated in every straight up fight he has outside of him stopping by to hurt all our favorite charcters, because he ends up fighting the two characters shown so far who're capable of just overhand dunking on him- Gojo and Sukuna.

Jougo was stated as being the strongest. He was about half as powerful as a full strength Sukuna, he had a powerful domain expansion, was very fast, knew techniques like Domain Expansion that allows him to ignore other people's techniques. (In turn this would let him kick Mahito's rear end) The Databook outright states that Geto/Getwo who would be able beat Okkutsu if their forces are not divided, May not be able handle Jougo and Mahito in a straight fight, in order to capture them. (It was very helpful of Yuji to beat Mahito for him)

Jougo's only weakness was his relative lack of durability in comparison to his fellows. As an author note states the 4 back to back black flash barrage that Yuji hit Hanami with would have killed Jougo. Though the same note also states the same attacks would not have even hit Jougo.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fabricated posted:

Jogou I want to say was confirmed as the strongest of the disaster curses and they're a cut above every actual cursed spirit or fleshed curse shown in the series so far that isn't Sukuna. I know Okkutsu gets played up a lot but I'm not actually sure he could've taken Jogou or Mahito due to general incompatibility in techniques (Jougou being able to just poo poo out massively powerful heat AOEs that even the Zenin frameskip poo poo can't effectively dodge, and Mahito being effectively invulnerable to anyone whose technique can't damage his soul). Jougou kinda hilariously gets humiliated in every straight up fight he has outside of him stopping by to hurt all our favorite charcters, because he ends up fighting the two characters shown so far who're capable of just overhand dunking on him- Gojo and Sukuna.

Okkotsu got the "jesus christ can you feel that" "I can taste that" panels, same as gojo, same as sukuna.
He's undoubtedly part of the power ceiling, and its been shown that without trickery or several centuries of sorcery knowledge you just cant win in a straight match against someone like that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Huh cool info hearsay I heard was that was translated from the Databook. Rough Power scaling for the notable Special Grade Curses (Namely the Disaster Curses and the Death Paintings) in terms of Sukuna fingers. This does not take into account clever fighting or type matchups.

Kechizu: Close to 1 finger
Eso: About 1 Finger
Choso: Almost 2 Fingers
Mahito: 2 Fingers when he first showed up, 4 Fingers during the Shibuya Arc.
Hanami: 3 Fingers.
Dagon: 5 Fingers
Jougo: 9 Fingers closer to 10 when enraged enough.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah that's just pure cursed energy level I think. Mahito is much more dangerous than that suggests for example.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RatHat posted:

Yeah that's just pure cursed energy level I think. Mahito is much more dangerous than that suggests for example.

Oh yeah. Even said it did not take stuff like clever fighting, or type matchups into account. Still 4 fingers is considerably stronger then any non special grade sorcerer.

Though honestly for Mahito, I don't know if he would have done as well against Naobito, Maki, Nanami, and Megumi as Dagon. Naobito's curse technique canceling ability could possibly allow a victory against him, given that Nanami knows what Mahito can do.

Mahito overall is just hard to fight, unless certain type matchups come into play. Like Yuji and Nobara.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 27, 2021

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Mahito being the biggest 1v1 problem for 95% of the cast just because of his technique despite being the initially weakest disaster curse is cool, because technique remaining a real part of the power dynamic in shonen is cool. Of course there are still characters who just are overwhelmingly powerful like Gojo but they're the power ceiling.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
:bignews:Chose is officially Yuji's brother. Comments by Todo have yet to be heard

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Choso’s characterization is so loving good, it’s so easy to feel for this poor freak of nature and how his siblings were treated

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheHan posted:

Choso’s characterization is so loving good, it’s so easy to feel for this poor freak of nature and how his siblings were treated

Honestly looking back, I don't even think his two awakened brothers deserved to die. They never killed anyone, and were initially willing to let Yuji and Nobara leave.

But yeah it's kind of shocking how likable Choso has become. Like back during his fight with Yuji, I bet pretty much everyone here thought he was just going to lose to Yuji and die and that would be the end of the Death Paintings subplot.

Though I wonder if Yuji is going to conflict with Choso about the other 6 brothers, when Choso gets them after the meeting. Like Choso is going to want to revive them, which means putting them in people to incarnate, and I don't think Yuji would be cool with that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The way he was talking about them I got the impression that the other Death Paintings aren't viable. He calls them the remains of his brothers.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Honestly looking back, I don't even think his two awakened brothers deserved to die. They never killed anyone, and were initially willing to let Yuji and Nobara leave.

But yeah it's kind of shocking how likable Choso has become. Like back during his fight with Yuji, I bet pretty much everyone here thought he was just going to lose to Yuji and die and that would be the end of the Death Paintings subplot.

Though I wonder if Yuji is going to conflict with Choso about the other 6 brothers, when Choso gets them after the meeting. Like Choso is going to want to revive them, which means putting them in people to incarnate, and I don't think Yuji would be cool with that.

Yeah Choso is the loving best, but we can't forget he definitely wants revenge against Nobara (who isn't dead people come on now). Also I don't see Gojo being so forgiving when he eventually comes back. Look what he did to poor Hanami :ohdear:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

muscles like this! posted:

The way he was talking about them I got the impression that the other Death Paintings aren't viable. He calls them the remains of his brothers.

It was the same as Choso, Eso, and Kechizu. They were dead cursed Fetuses that incarcerate when placed in someone.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 28, 2021

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Choso did kill quite a few random people during the fight with Gojo... but plenty of anime enemies-turned-friends have made oopsies like that. I for one welcome Yuji's older brother into the gang!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Choso's false memory having his remaining siblings still in tubes has me thinking they're not strong enough to incarnate like him and his special grade brother, but if they really do come back for them I guess we'll see.

And the fact that Choso's false memory isn't wanton murder or destruction but just him and his brothers living a peaceful life having picnics is so :3: dude just loves his fam.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheHan posted:

Choso's false memory having his remaining siblings still in tubes has me thinking they're not strong enough to incarnate like him and his special grade brother, but if they really do come back for them I guess we'll see.

And the fact that Choso's false memory isn't wanton murder or destruction but just him and his brothers living a peaceful life having picnics is so :3: dude just loves his fam.

His other brothers have never had physical form. He would not know what their incarnations look like.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I mean even Chose didn't reincarnate until he was shoved into a body and it's possible he doesn't have any plans to give them bodies either. He just wants to recover them so they can all be together. Because all the portraits are special grade as a classification so it'd be weird for some of them to be that weak.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brought To You By posted:

I mean even Chose didn't reincarnate until he was shoved into a body and it's possible he doesn't have any plans to give them bodies either. He just wants to recover them so they can all be together. Because all the portraits are special grade as a classification so it'd be weird for some of them to be that weak.

I know, but Choso may want to incarnate them, and I think Yuji would object to that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wouldn't surprise me at all if choso died but I hope he doesn't

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I know, but Choso may want to incarnate them, and I think Yuji would object to that.
I guess I didn't phrase that correctly. I think that for Chose all he wants is to get his brothers out of captivity but never intended to actually give them bodies. That is assuming that his ideal version of life as presented by that weird flash is reflective of an endgoal he'd would like, his other brothers not being dead and the rest close at hand. This is my read on their origin because it says that they were all content to just be aware of each other's existences even as aborted fetuses for over a century. Maybe he wants different it's definitely a likely outcome.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brought To You By posted:

I guess I didn't phrase that correctly. I think that for Chose all he wants is to get his brothers out of captivity but never intended to actually give them bodies. That is assuming that his ideal version of life as presented by that weird flash is reflective of an endgoal he'd would like, his other brothers not being dead and the rest close at hand. This is my read on their origin because it says that they were all content to just be aware of each other's existences even as aborted fetuses for over a century. Maybe he wants different it's definitely a likely outcome.

The fact they were aware of each other as aborted fetuses was all that kept them going. Unlike the first 3, 4 to 9 have never had bodies so he would not have any idea of what they would look like in his memories.

Choso may not incarnate them, but I think Choso would prefer it. Back during the discussion between the three brothers, Choso said they were going to help the Curses partially out of gratitude for incarnating them, but mostly because they would prefer the Curses’s world. This implies they for prefer having bodies instead of being immobile fetuses.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Does the author not give a poo poo about Nobara? It's been at least 15 chapters since she got her face melted and almost died.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Grouchio posted:

Does the author not give a poo poo about Nobara? It's been at least 15 chapters since she got her face melted and almost died.

Calm down. It's not like the series has ignored her, Yuuji straight up asked Fushiguro about her, and the fact that he hasn't given an answer makes it clear she must've been very badly hurt, or the author's setting something up here.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Grouchio posted:

She did actually die- it's just that we don't know if it stuck because that one upper-classman whose technique I guess puts stuff in stasis (including wounds) froze her body shortly after it happened.

She's almost certainly coming back, even with the whole thing where Megumi shares a look with Yuji that seems to imply her death. We're plunging ahead into a new arc so I kinda doubt we're gonna resolve that arc and be like "Okay yeah now that we got time to be sad about it, Nobara is legit dead"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't really see the point of the scene saying nobara might live or the way the author has been coy about her current status if she really was just flat out dead/forgotten. she's certainly never had as much to do as megumi but there's def something going on with nobara atm

maybe it's time for krang to move on to a new body and the zombie nobara arc begins

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Nobara's technique also seems like something that could be incredibly useful given the stuff that Tengen explains in the coming chapter.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Fabricated posted:

Nobara's technique also seems like something that could be incredibly useful given the stuff that Tengen explains in the coming chapter.

Nobara's technique has always been super useful, basically every fight she's been in her technique's either incredibly strong or a hard counter

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Arzaac posted:

Nobara's technique has always been super useful, basically every fight she's been in her technique's either incredibly strong or a hard counter

Voodoo fighters are generally instant death and/or people whose attacks completely bypass defense. It's one of the reasons I think you don't see many of them across manga and why a lot of them get sidelined or nerfed. JJK gave Nobara an even bigger buff because any opponent that shares a strong enough bond with other baddies or splits themselves are going to take damage across those bonds.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-145/chapter/22321?action=read

Finally got Fake Geto's true name.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Woo doesn't seem to be Abe no Seimei

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
gently caress, knew Choso wasn’t getting outta here one way or another

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TheHan posted:

gently caress, knew Choso wasn’t getting outta here one way or another
Yeah, this is absolutely a setup for Choso to get killed or something. The type of people coming for Tengen are going to be beyond special grade sorcerers/curse-users who're only at the 1-3 Sukuna Finger level, and Okkotsu would probably be able to stop most of the antagonists here so naturally he's going to help with the culling game.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
Oh poo poo, Gege got me. Tengen this chapter saying he failed to merge with a vessel 11 years ago didn't jive with me. I thought Yuki had told Geto that Tengen had ended up with another vessel, to give Geto more "What's the point of this poo poo" ammunition leading to his flip. Went back and reread Chapter 77 and NOPE. Yuki was just speculating, all she knew was that "Tengen was stable."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Some details possibly about the History of the Brain’s true name.

quote:

Brain's real name Kenjaku seems to have been derived from Fukūkenjaku (不空羂索観音), one of the many avatars of the Buddhist deity Avalokiteshvara (who's known as Kannon in Japan). He's said to have postponed his own attainment of nirvana until he led every human on earth to salvation and helped them achieve enlightenment. This might tie into Brain Kenjaku's plan to force the evolution of humankind through its merging with Tengen – a subversive twist on a Boddhisatva's 'benevolent' intention.

Interestingly, Kenjaku also happens to be the posthumous Buddhist name of Kanenaka Hirohashi, a court noble from the Kamakura Period (which followed the Heian Period). His mother was from the Fujiwara clan,which was a rival to the Sugawara clan and had a particularly bad history with Sugawara no Michizane, the ancestor of Satoru and Yuuta

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Interesting to learn that after 500 years you grow a second pair of eyes

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

Yeah, this is absolutely a setup for Choso to get killed or something. The type of people coming for Tengen are going to be beyond special grade sorcerers/curse-users who're only at the 1-3 Sukuna Finger level, and Okkotsu would probably be able to stop most of the antagonists here so naturally he's going to help with the culling game.

I don't really agree with this.

Choso is strong, And I doubt Kenjaku has a bunch of special grade Curses, or Curse users allies on the same level as the Disaster Curses just sitting around. Tengen seems to know what was needed in order to protect him

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I believe in Aniki :kamina:
But um, let's not also go the Kamina route

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Got some more details on this Culling Game via the upcoming spoilers.

The rules for a refresher.

According to Tengan, in order to do what Kenjaku wants it to, the Culling Game has to go on for two months.

On Rule 1. There are apparently 10 days and 15 hours left before participating in the Culling Game is required.
On Rule 2. According to Tengan, and Shoko Ieiri removing the Cursed technique is fatal. So not participating means you die. Maki and maybe Panda are not at risk from this.
On Rule 3. Because of how it is worded people that are already in barriers are allowed to leave and not participate. Apparently this was an important detail for bindings.
On Rule 4 and 5. Apparently the game master will monitor each player through bug-shaped Shikigami.
On Rule 6. You are only allowed to add rules no removing them.
On Rule 7. Apparently the game master won't be able to just reject rules if they won't be in Kenjaku's favor, likely as a result of the large number of bindings required to make this work.
On Rule 8. Megumi apparently has some way around this, so they won't have to kill people.

Tengen is also giving Maki access to Juzo Kumiya's Atelier. (The guy who made Haruta's flying hand sword and wanted to turn Gojo into a coat rack. Apparently he is super talented at making cursed tools.) And she is going to get Megumi to get her access to all the Cursed Tools the Zen'in's have locked up as the new head of the family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Doesnt this seem pretty hosed up like wat kill 20 people with powers or 100 normal ppl??? how are our heroes going to manage this game lol