Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I probably wasn’t reading carefully enough at the start of this arc but are the new curse users just randos that had their powers unlocked (a la arrows from jojo) or were they granted the curse techniques held by previous and now dead curse users? Or are some of these folks actually dead curse users being reincarnated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

You’re thinking of crocodile from one piece.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

TheHan posted:

I think it’s entirely possible Yuji could already have access to Sukun techs and refuses to use them, but we also haven’t seem him in a scenario post timeskip where he’d be forced to break them out.

Did we ever find out what the vow was that Yuji agreed to with Sukuna?>

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah scroll down it’s before chapter 1

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

you can’t breed dittos with each other of course you’ll never hatch one with perfect IVs!

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

jesus those translation notes at the end

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Lily Catts posted:

I don't get it, didn't they want that rule implemented, what's wrong then? Something about Tsumiki is off I guess? But that's supposed to be still her right?

I think it's mostly a shock because Tsumiki was assumed to be an unwilling participant in the culling game and hasn't been present for any of their strategy discussions and so wouldn't know that they had considered OR ruled out the entry/exit rule as an option.

Definitely seems like either she's been compromised by team Kenjaku relatively recently or she's been working to some goal independently.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I can’t follow any of this chapter to chapter I’m just along for the ride

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...ars-of-/.198037

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

wikipedia says you are the other 6 death paintings, when did that happen?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

From the start. It was said that Kenjaku created 9, and numbers 1-3 were taken in that raid and then incarnated

My bad was phone posting and it auto corrected. Apparently Yuji ate the other 6?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

that seems like a normal conversation lol

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I thought it was implied that he let himself die. His original body was mummified and I think the TCB translation specifically referenced Buddhist self mummification. looking back at the jump translation it seems like Sukuna is just talking about “mummification” and asks if “kenjaku or rather tengen (did) this ironically”. A bit unclear if that means they mummified his body after the fact, or are just referring to handing off the mummified body to him. It’s chapters 220-222 if anyone wants to check.

I had basically assumed that he figured out the secret to incarnating as a cursed object required basically self mummifying through meditation, and that he was never actually killed.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Assume nanamis sword having his technique is just a bit of hand wavy “cursed objects are the remains of powerful sorcerers” combined with like, him getting soul exploded in proximity to his weapon.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I’ve been rewatching the anime from the beginning with my girlfriend and paying a little more attention to the “mechanics” of the story. A lot of this makes way more sense when you get over the wacky translation stuff and also give it a second read.

Stuff like “Domain Amplification” instead of the more literal “Domain Envelopment” makes way less sense for explaining how it is able to nullify other domains, for example. And frankly the fact that amplification is a specific technique and not just like “I made my domain stronger to overwhelm you” which is how I would interpret that normally. I definitely lost a lot of those details while reading week to week which is kind of a problem with a power system this technical.

The stuff about domains needing barriers, but also not, but also they do, sort of, most of the time when you’re not Sukuna. What is a domain, innate domain, domain expansion. How do these things interact. When you lose those details over a few months it can contribute to the whole thing feeling like Calvinball even while remaining internally consistent.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

No Wave posted:

As someone newer to the series was Megumi popular? He has always been the most confusing character in the series to me. We're told over and over about how great he is and how important he is to everyone but I never understood it. Whereas we meet Yuta and it's immediately clear how awesome he is in basically every way.

I think the IRL popularity is just the Sasuke effect.

In universe it's mostly that his technique is nuts but he has no idea how to use it properly, so they're constantly talking about his potential rather than his actual abilities. Presumably there's a level of Ten Shadows above even what Sukuna has reached that would have allowed it to match up against Limitless/Six Eyes on its own (without cleave/dismantle and malevolent shrine).

He's also kind of crazy and I think Gojo and Sukuna both recognized a kindred spirit in that regard so they both took interest.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Gologle posted:

How would Sukuna, the greatest and best sorcerer to have ever existed, not have reached the pinnacle of the Ten Shadows' technique?

He had to use it in conjunction with his cutting techniques to take out Gojo. Gojo claims Sukuna would have beat him without 10 shadows, but I don’t think the opposite is true. At least not what we saw.

We also never see him use a 10 shadows based domain expansion like Megumi has.That may still be something Sukuna either wasn’t able to do (something like “his innate domain and thus domain expansion is tied to his soul not his body” so he’s stuck with just Malevolent Shrine) or didn’t need to do because he had other powers to use, including the flames we haven’t seen again, and thus didn’t fully plumb the depths of 10 shadows.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Nobara is probably dead but it does feel like the missing 20th finger is almost too perfectly setting up for her to hit a big resonance in a couple chapters to critically weaken Sukuna since the executioner sword probably isn’t going to work for some reason. That one feels more plausible than gojo coming back at this point.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Hakari's first real fight shows off the limits of his bullshit godmode power and he's able to get out of it through clever application of the other core mechanics of the story, namely 1) using the barrier aspect of domain expansion to dump kashimo in the water and 2) using a binding vow to avoid certain death when kashimo blows everything up.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

sounds like higuruma died so the sword disappeared before yuji could hit him

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

The chant is shouting the name of your ultimate move out loud to increase its power

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I think sukuna is going to learn how to fully incarnate outside a vessel by observing Rika and when Yuji yoinks him out of Megumi he will manifest his own body somehow. Not sure how that will interact with Megumi having permission to initiate the merger

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

He already has his own body right? He found it when bumming around waiting for Uraume to return with the missing fingers. It's also what he 'popped' to heal after the Gojo fight. So I expect that to be what he ends up in when excised from Megumi.

Yeah I guess I just mean he’s going to figure out how to do that without needing to use a living body as a base. So the resolution here will be that he’s no longer possessing Megumi, maybe after initiating the merger. And then he gets beat one final time in his actual body.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah not every can be like todo when they lose a limb

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Uraume was also incarnated by Kenjaku, just seemingly earlier than everyone else he incarnated during the culling game. This was apparently confirmed in an info book or something in one of the volumes.

You can also tell cause the first time Uraume greets Sukuna in shibuya when he’s taken over Yujis body he doesn’t recognized them immediately. Presumably if Uraume was in their original body Sukuna would’ve clocked that right away.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

I'm suggesting having the executioner's sword already available before showing up to fight Sukuna by using another party, not Yuji. All Judgeman needs is a crime that could fullfill the requirements for that verdict. Basically try and snipe Sukuna early and if that fails, disengage the sword and go for the trial to remove his technique (or ultimately his weapon). And to use someone who has better combat stats or capabilities so Higuruma isn't automatically on the frontline before Sukuna forces the issue to test him out, something we only know with hindsight.

Didn’t higuruma say the sword only works on the person sentenced by judgeman? That’s why they thought it would kill Sukuna and not Megumi.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

anyone got a working link? the one above is broken

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Curious if they'll be able to get the timing right when takaba kills that special grade with a bus

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I honestly love the bit of editorializing the translator does on these raw leaks cause it gets me even more hype to read “YUJI HITS HIM WITH ANOTHER!!!!” And “Kusakabe just starts throwing hands”

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

Who was born as a player in the culling game? Is Sukuna speaking figurative here?

The other translations made it sound he was born *for* the culling game which makes more sense.

Otherwise he would maybe mean that Yuji has awakened during the culling game, but since this is a flashback from before Yuji started cleaning house idk why he would say that.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

soul swap is small beans compared to the reveal that OPEN is just the stove in sukuna's malevolent kitchen

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I assumed the 2 swaps were Yuji->Kusakabe and then Kusakabe->Yuji.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

https://tcb-backup.bihar-mirchi.com/chapters/7730/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-259

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Uraume with the nah I'd win face is how you know it's finally over.