Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm caught up!

Lol. The last arc was exhausting. I just really don't find the politicking in this manga that interesting, and it loses me too often when they zoom into characters who aren't students or Jujutsu High staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
yeah well wouldn't anyone find a person with forehead stitches super sus? that flashback was super creepy

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I still don't get why Yaga got written out of the story like that, felt like a waste. Also I wish he'd grow old and cool (cooler than he already is) like his RL inspiration. I guess there's some other stips on the method of making independent cursed corpses as he seemed to have saddled Gakuganji with something?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Can I just say that I love the gore in the spread where Maki cuts the top half of her dad's head off while he's still screaming? And the way she just keeps walking after the fact... queen poo poo

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Isn't the Gojo family recognized as a top one just because of Satoru...? To be fair he's more than enough for one family.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
oh my god it's pro wrestling fake fighting

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I like Maki because as an Asian I found it mega-therapeutic that she got to wipe out her abusive clan in the most metal way possible

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I don't get it, didn't they want that rule implemented, what's wrong then? Something about Tsumiki is off I guess? But that's supposed to be still her right?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm not exactly sure why Sukuna waited until this very moment to pull that off. Was it because of the entry/exit rule? Anyone most of the plot has been lost to me since the Culling Game began, I'm mostly following out of vibes (and they have been mostly good so far) lol

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

yum posted:

but hey, this is a shonen, so the theme of jjk isn't only bad things will happen if you put your faith in others. You can see the positive ripple effects/karma of Gojo/Megumi/Yuji's philosophy of saving others through people like Angel and whatever awesome thing the lawyer dude will do when he shows up again. Lifes hard and we should help each other regardless of whether there any immediate benefit <- lets see how gege will show this if he can stick the ending since he's said he wants to end the series within a year

Oh, is it really going to end within the year? That's fewer than 50 chapters to go hmm (fewer if he takes more breaks)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

CharlestonJew posted:

If we take Kenjaku at his word then that whole thing was for shits and giggles too

Dude felt like getting dicked down one day

I mean, that's a realistic use case of bodyjacking powers for most people anyway

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Live Sukuna Reaction

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I think it's fascinating that the Gojo is the pretty much the strongest character and hasn't been killed off--usually the powerful mentor gets shelved early on to let the younger characters grow on their own, but it's refreshing to see the bad guys piss their pants whenever Gojo is around. I can't think of another work of fiction that did the same--either the mentor character isn't that strong or they're not that pivotal to the story.

(Yeah he did get shelved after Shibuya but it took that long)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

chiasaur11 posted:

Captain Levi from Attack on Titan comes to mind pretty quick. He was presented as Humanity's Strongest Soldier from his first appearance and (unlike almost everyone else who got hyped up right before dying horribly) he continued to kick rear end until the final battles, despite taking some nasty hits along the way.

There's some other mentors I can think of who survive, anime and not, but Levi's continuous status at the top of the board is the closest example I can think of.

Oh right I totally forgot about Levi, he sure counts

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

notwithyourheart posted:

the anime better add wwe style entrance themes to gojo and sukuna’s walks to the ring

considering that Gege is a wrestling fan, having based Yaga off popular wrestler Masahiro Chono, I'd be surprised if this doesn't happen next chapter

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Wait did Gojo really kill the Jujutsu higher-ups? I thought Kenjaku wiped them all out already? Or is that why Gakuganji looked so moribund?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Brought To You By posted:

I'd assume they meant something like how FMA was a huge series in it's time but once the 2nd anime ended you don't really see people bringing it up and from what I've read it's not really reference in other works or by other mangaka.

That's funny because if you interact with Square-Enix properties or read Gangan manga they're pretty keen on referencing FMA. It's still fairly popular in cosplay as well. and both manga and anime get mentioned in top 10 lists a lot

Demon Slayer has been huge in SEA and has dominated the con scene for years, too. maybe it didn't run as long as Naruto but honestly I prefer my Jump series shorter?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I miss the rest of the young cast, they've done mostly nothing since Shibuya lol

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
speaking of NJPW, this fight is shaping up to be like a NJPW Wrestle Kingdom main event where the wrestlers start kicking out of moves that would have pinned lesser men. Gege is a pro wrestling fan so it has to be intentional.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
that last line in the chapter is a killer but also knowing what makes a good sorcerer in the universe it might not be as true as Gojo wishes it to be, but it's making me believe

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Wait what

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Sukuna beaten by color theory. I love it

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Reading the raw, did we somehow skip a chapter or what?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm still not sure what actually happened, because it really does feel like they skipped a chapter.

Didn't Mahoraga get destroyed by Hollow Purple? How could Sukuna even fight lol

I can only think of a few things:
1. Gojo got murked by Mahoraga a few chapters ago and everything leading up to the win was all in his head (Brazil-style ending)
2. Sukuna did get beaten but somehow pulled Mahoraga out again to Cleave Gojo into two, or learned how to bypass his defenses
3. Sukuna's CT is actually King Crimson

Anyway all I can think of is this is (was?) a pro wrestling dream match complete with the heel bullshit. Knowing how much Gege is into wrestling (enough to base Yaga's likeness on Masahiro Chono), he's gone out of his way to really present certain characters as super strong, usually by feeding them a jobber (sometimes an entire squad of them, see Maki). Yeah it sucks when cool characters get killed off that way but a lot of this feels like classic pro wrestling booking tropes. And yeah Gojo can't win here because we just got out of the Royal Rumble Culling Game and this isn't Jujutsumania yet

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Tiramisu posted:

A parent who goes out of their way to thank a friend for looking out for their kid?

That chapter was so good, it rounds him out as a character.

I've given the current situation much thought and I'm completely fine with this. Welcome it even. Gojo and Geto are reunited~

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I enjoyed the pilot but it's pretty much a neat little self-contained story. The anime however brings some incredible production values with it, and Megumi Ogata voicing Okkotsu couldn't be more apt. That said I miss the student sorcerers a lot... like Miwa lol

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
too bad Kashimo's stip was a 1v1 fight, they could've formed a tag team instead to take on Sukuna and Uraume

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Bread Set Jettison posted:

There was extra pages added to a recent Jjk volume release I guess. Chapter 213 when Hanna Jacob ladders megumisukuna. It makes Hana look way stronger and helps sell the fake out Gege was going for I think https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/FrcLizI/1/1/

I wonder how often there are pages omitted

yeah this was much better and makes it look like she could've completely obliterated Sukuna if he didn't social engineer himself into her arms

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I know the official translation is generally terrible but this week it was particularly egregious...

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Todo is great because he's the anchor character for the Granblue Fantasy collab, he blabs about the game to Yuji and friends, and they all get isekai'd into the Sky Realm. Absolutely unhinged canon crossover (like how the Code Geass collab is canon too)

Also as a manga reader, it's amusing how the characters in the collab were Yuji & Megumi (playable duo unit), Maki & Nobara (playable duo unit), Todo (summon), and Gojo (summon). More than half of those shelved if not dead.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Somberbrero posted:

leak spoilers for 240

you might not like it but this is what peak performance looks like

(seriously spoilers)

this fight reminds me of the Jon Moxley vs Toru Yano match in the 2019 G1 Climax, hope it ends in *that* way too

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
God forbid a man has hobbies??

The mook in the previous chapter reminded me of Karin Kanzuki from Street Fighter and that's a shame

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Scallop Eyes posted:

What makes me curious is how can Comedy Man actually win though, since all we've seen him do is negate attacks, can he even inflict damage?

yeah I'm interested to know if he can actually hurt Kenjaku, or is he just supposed to stall and stymie him long enough for the Sukuna Suppression Squad to finish their job (or get finished idk) and mop Kenjaku up as well

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Conspiratiorist posted:

Makora is one of the 12 divine generals who protect and serve Yakushi Nyorai, the Medicine Buddha. Mahoraga is the original/interchangeable Sanskrit reading of his name.

oh god it has basically the same name as Makura from the hit browser game Granblue Fantasy

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

King of Solomon posted:

I think it's a matter of scale and narrative impact. Gege kills a decent number of male characters, but there are still a ton of relevant male characters running around with big narrative impact. Takaba died, but he died setting Geto up to die by Yuta's hand. Higuruma is about to die, but he died handing off Judgeman's sword, which looks like it's about to hit Sukuna (granted, Sukuna might knock Yuji away and have that ultimately amount to nothing, but that doesn't seem like where the story is headed right now.) By contrast, pretty much none of the female characters have had any narrative impact at all and again, there are almost none of them left.

Takaba died?? I thought he was just lying on the ground spent

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Flair posted:

It is not confirmed one way or another, but he is wearing Yurei garbs. He might be dead.

my read is that he was waiting for Kenjaku to finish him off, and has made peace with it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Grandpa rocker killed Masahiro Chono... Can't you just graft those souls to Panda?

Have we seen Yuta's domain? there's that cool spread of a 3-way Domain Expansion but the actual thing kinda happens off-panel? It's been a while and I've forgotten already

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I prefer this to the final fight of Demon Slayer, but that one was pretty cool in that they treated the big bad like a raid boss lol

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

MorningMoon posted:

God this match is like what Will Ospreay vs Bryan Danielson will look like

okay this does makes sense as Ospreay has incredible natural talent and athleticism, someone whom you could truly say is gifted, while Danielson has the biggest wrestling brain out of everybody.

anyway back to the topic of the manga, it would be extremely funny if Sukuna does get to throw out his DE again after all of Miguel's conditions for joining the fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
if the wording of her binding vow is "I'll never swing a katana again," then Miwa should consider taking up fencing