Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So I'm like 90% certain I know what Yuuji's cursed technique is, and he's been unconsciously using it for some time now.

When he fights Toudo for the first time there's a moment where the narrator explicitly tells the audience "at that moment, memories of a past that never happened flowed into Toudo's mind" or something like that. We then see Toudo imagining a situation where he and Yuuji bonded over their love of Takada-chan, call each other brothers, and have a bunch of other comedic scenes that obviously never happened because they never met before. Toudo is kind of a gag character so it's easy to play this off as a joke and think nothing of it.

Except then it happens again, with Choso -- who up to that point was a deadly serious villain who credibly threatened the main casts' lives. And it uses the exact same language about "memories of a past that never happened." Choso starts referring to Yuuji as a brother (imagining him to literally be one of his "brothers" as a cursed fetus that then grew to adulthood, like Choso himself is) and is willing to go to any length to keep Yuuji safe and to validate their bond.

I guess it's technically possible that these two situations aren't actually related and Toudo's really is just a gag while Choso's is a genuine reveal about Yuuji's past. (That is, the scenes he imagined aren't real, but they are a tragic what-could-have-been and Yuuji really is a Death Painting like the three brothers.) Maybe the repeated phrase is just a quirk of translation or a common phrase that I'm reading into.

But I don't think so. I think Yuuji literally has the Power of Friendship, and instinctively used it on both Toudo and Choso, injecting false memories into their minds that paint him as someone they trust and would protect at any cost.

Which is loving terrifying. :v:
This aligns with the common theories and I only have two things to add This is probably a curse technique unintentionally placed on Yuji by his grandfather. Remember in the first chapter he was told to die surrounded by others, and on top of that after Yuji regains control of his body after Sukuna basically nuked part of Shibuya we see his grandfather's words be the ones thrown back at him, including the statement that Yuji should help people. To a kid who was very clearly contemplating suicide and death. It's dark but in both cases I think Yuji's drive to keep helping others as well as this power of friendship are inflicted upon him. And in the case of both Todo and Chose there was a connection established between them before the overall winner of the fight was given the false memories, Todo is just the kind of goof troop person that would have already liked Yuji but Choze has been utterly mindfucked by the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

kirtar posted:

I think it was one the bad guys in the fullbring arc or something like that. If he stabbed you he could literally insert himself into your past.

Back in my day we called him 'Facebook: the villain'. You were going to accept that friend request whether you wanted it or not.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Gotta show off Okkotsu, though outside of Rika hes not much fun, just being inhumanly strong.
Sukuna smiling is never a good sign.

Honestly wish this was the Yuta that just used other people's techniques instead of being a brick wall of curse energy shaped like a human. The new look for Rika was spooky though and that's one hell of an entrance.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I mean when he slashed Itadori he was clearly going for the kill and it was only sheer reaction that kept Yuji's guts in place. Maybe the sword is gimmicky and designed to manufacture a fake death?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Everyone knows that killing Itadori means tangling with Sukuna, I probably wouldn't want to leave it to chance or my shikigami given how he's magic'd his way out of death before. Restraining and confusing him seems like a good strategy to keep Yuji in the drivers seat to deliver the killing blow vs allowing Sukuna to show up.

Isn't that the opposite of the situation? Sukuna won't lift a finger to save Yuji's life and the few times he's actually taken over have just been because Yuji consumed a finger. Even when Chose was about to deliver the coup de grace Sukuna didn't do anything.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Desperate Character posted:

choso is the absolute loving best and seeing naoyta get his rear end beat was so satisfying. Then Yuuta coming in like a serial killer and just one-shot KO-ing him :ohdear:

He's a surprising side character because I went from not really caring for him to really liking his one note trait. Gotta appreciate family.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Desperate Character posted:

okay the reveal of kamo having been yuji's MOM has my brain absolutely fried I don't think anyone saw that coming :stare:
:aaaaa:

I mean technically he did kill Yuji

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ethiser posted:

I didn’t get the sense that he disapproved of his daughter-in-law, just the whole reanimating her corpse so that it could have his son’s child.

I think there's also the implication that Kaori did die and then her body got taken over but the dad either didn't know or doesn't care. It depends on what name Kamo goes by while in that body

A Sometimes Food posted:

Finally Yoshimori from Kekkaishi has some competition for most dangerous mother in shonen.
Not really much of a competition since Kamo wants to commit genocide and Sumiko was just really distant but ultimately still loved her family in a bizarre way. Like throwing a dragon at her son and daughter-in-law. that was weird.

This situation might be more like Kanaka from Tsugumomo which is a wildly :nsfw: series but might be doing the whole pet semetary thing that's going on here

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

I mostly meant that in most shonen it's the dad that's the mysterious powerful being with a past. It's a cheap joke and I'm certain there's other exceptions

Oh yeah, definitely puts her in that camp then. I read way too far into that.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
:bignews:Chose is officially Yuji's brother. Comments by Todo have yet to be heard

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I mean even Chose didn't reincarnate until he was shoved into a body and it's possible he doesn't have any plans to give them bodies either. He just wants to recover them so they can all be together. Because all the portraits are special grade as a classification so it'd be weird for some of them to be that weak.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I know, but Choso may want to incarnate them, and I think Yuji would object to that.
I guess I didn't phrase that correctly. I think that for Chose all he wants is to get his brothers out of captivity but never intended to actually give them bodies. That is assuming that his ideal version of life as presented by that weird flash is reflective of an endgoal he'd would like, his other brothers not being dead and the rest close at hand. This is my read on their origin because it says that they were all content to just be aware of each other's existences even as aborted fetuses for over a century. Maybe he wants different it's definitely a likely outcome.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Arzaac posted:

Nobara's technique has always been super useful, basically every fight she's been in her technique's either incredibly strong or a hard counter

Voodoo fighters are generally instant death and/or people whose attacks completely bypass defense. It's one of the reasons I think you don't see many of them across manga and why a lot of them get sidelined or nerfed. JJK gave Nobara an even bigger buff because any opponent that shares a strong enough bond with other baddies or splits themselves are going to take damage across those bonds.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I believe in Aniki :kamina:
But um, let's not also go the Kamina route

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Oh god it's Gantz + HxH Succession war and I'm still trying to decompress from Shibuya.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
hosed up chapter. I'd forgotten about Yaga and him getting the death penalty seemed pretty severe just for his association with Gojou but this chapter makes it make sense. So the question of the cores that comprise Panda would likely be Yaga himself or Kusakabe, Takeru, and Takeru's mother.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

is another different intelligent Cursed Corpse.

Do you mean that Takeru is another independent curse corpse? Because I agree but it seems odd to bring up that Panda himself is a 4th consciousness that arises when you have 3 other souls observe each other and then show us that Yaga's research had already yielded the results to copy one soul and the 3 souls used to make puppets like Panda need to be "highly compatible". A mother and son are 2/3 of that equation so I think the implication is that Yaga used them to make panda.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Panda was said to be created through three cores. His own and his big brother and sister. Also we can see a bunch of other Curse Corpse's with Takeru so Yaga has presumably made many of them. Panda just seems to have been his first creation.

There are two flashbacks. In Yaga's he mentions to Masamaru that his mother will come back to visit him again. This is obviously the flashback before he's detained by the college for making Panda. Then we got Kusakabe's flashback to when the Takeru puppet meets with the original's mother which is a moment that predates yaga's talk with Takeru on the stump. I think the jury is still out on whether or not the Takeru puppet and the others have 3 cores or are just 1 core puppets containing copies of specific individuals. Panda himself doesn't have any specific memories of being a human but the Takeru Puppet more obviously has mannerisms of the original.

Or maybe like usual I have a bad read on this story and the simplest answer is that Yaga did make a small village of panda's

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

You misread some stuff.

There are two Flashbacks. The first one is when he is captured and tells Gakuganji he does not know how to make more Curse Corpses like Panda. Then we go back to the present (You can tell because the border is white.) were Yaga is talking to Takeru, and saying how he and the other Curse Corpses will be fine without him, before leaving to go and die. We cut to Kusakabe freeing Panda and then Kusakabes Flashback, Before going to Yaga meeting the guys who will kill him for not sharing how to make intelligent Curse Corpses.

I mean the village of dolls would show that he lied to Gakuganji about knowing how to make sentient curse dolls. But if that's the case and the order you say is correct, I wonder if the current arc will show us more of Panda's past. Because I find it odd that the story emphasized that he doesn't think of himself as human and then show us a subsequent sentient curse doll that clearly mirrors parts of the human that went into making it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Maki lived a hard life...

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

Let's be honest, it's really unlikely they'll die here, cause setting up a super misogyny clan whose beliefs get proven correct would be pretty hosed.

I know I have crackpot theories but I don't honestly expect her to die here either. But for a character the existed in limbo for months with regards to getting turned into charcoal by Jogo and only Nanami walked away half alive, I'd written her off for a while. Then she not only lives, but this chapter then gives her a glimmer of hope where even her mother gives her some far too late encouragement and she gets punked by her Dad. That's just cruel to a side character

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Pretty sure that was the opposite of encouragement from her mom.

Her mother being there at all and the parting words "make me glad I gave birth to you" is about as close too "don't die" I think their relationship will allow.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I have no reason to give the Zen'ins any positive benefit of the doubt when a negative can just as easily be understood.[/spoiler]
That's fair an all but it's pretty clear the mother is trying to stop her daughter from walking into her own death. Who do you think had to carry Mai down here anyways?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

“Saving” Maki’s life is clearly an unintended benefit, the key point here is “obey the men in our family like a proper woman should”
The key point is that despite all the stuff she said, her last lines can be interpreted as a kind of begrudging support. Otherwise do you really think Maki going in there and dying is something that will make the mother feel proud for giving birth to her?

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am pretty sure that was the dad. You know cause he plans to kill her too.
That was an attempt at humor.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

No the making her mother feel proud for giving birth to her would have been listening to her mother and not going in.

I feel like the timing of saying that after Maki has deviantly walked past her indicates that she's saying "well if you're dead set on this at least succeed and make it worth my time" but again, I can see your interpretation.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Them being twins is absolutely going to matter juju-bullshit wise

Wonder-twin powers activate...:eng99:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

i just realized that maki's been without her glasses this whole time, so either she somehow gained the ability to see cursed energy after surviving her fight with jogo or she's been doing all of this basically blind.

I don't think she was expecting to fight cursed spirits in her family's basement and she hasn't had any other fights between Shibuya and now right? But yeah, after this chapter she's Toji-tier so she doesn't need them anymore.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It's a see-saw If Maki had died, Mai would have been able to conjure larger objects and probably in more quantity as opposed to her single bullet a day. She gives her life to accomplish what would likely have been a normal thing for her to do if she weren't a twin. We see how Maki benefitted from Mai's sacrifice. I think this translation makes it slightly more clear how the twin dynamic works here.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ethiser posted:

The way I interpreted it was that it wasn't necessarily a see-saw. They just need to both needed to be in synch in their goals. If they both had had a curse technique and trained hard they could have been strong, but Mai not being interested in getting strong would have held both of them back. It is just that on top of that Maki using her limited cursed energy for strength was hurt because on a spiritual level she shared cursed energy with Mai.

No you are correct, Mai was in fact holding Maki back more directly because of her lack of effort negatively affecting Maki's limited cursed energy. But the reason I treat it as a see-saw is because Maki herself cannot have a cursed technique because of the heavenly binding so ultimately for one of the twins to excel the other has to pass on.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Manic Mongoose posted:

This felt very HxH. down to the art (har har)

I recall the many times that Togashi put out chicken scratch published on napkins and honestly it still gets the message across.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

it was clearly a turkey not a chicken

I was thinking of those scribble dogs from when Knuckles was introduced. The entire finale of GI was basically a fever dream until I got the volume releases.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ethiser posted:

Megumi is going to be in charge by default once this is all over.

Given we were told there was a faction within the Zen'nin clan that was supportive of Megumi because of his relationship with the Kamo and Satoru clan, I assume there will be some people left alive by the end of this. But the combat squads thus far have all been on Ougi's side which is the losing prospect. Plus I don't think everyone is here at the moment given Japan is on fire so bound to be some members who will be coming back home to a mass funeral.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Kenjaku is not actually a Kamo he just took over ones body.

I can't not hear this in my head as DIO taunting people about being weaklings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yABF7buuJDM

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I still don't really get it. How "fast" you could go depends entirely upon how much space there is between the "frames," and how do you do something like punch someone, when technically you're just a static frame at each point? And if you place it on someone else, how do they control their own movements in a way that constitutes "frames"?

It would make sense if it were just "the ability to pre-plan a second of very fast movement."

I also find it confusing how this ability can be used by the user themselves to make them faster or how losing a limb makes one slower. Since it works by enforcing a sort of speed limit to anything in their FOV, it's not like there's an invisible camera following them around

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

TheHan posted:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who couldn’t comprehend 24frames, I think I finally realized the general idea is that you can compress one action (like running towards your opponent) into one second at 24fps. The trade off being you have to commit to that action to get the ludicrous speed boost. Attempting to perform a second action or cancelling the first during your 24 frames sends you to frame hell. Usually your opponent can’t see you taking the 24 steps to complete the action but Maki’s so GOAT’d now that she can. Really I just needed to write this out so someone can explain to me if I’m wrong.

I'm just going to go with this even though we've seen people get put in frames for just standing still so is them freezing up also a violation of the rules? In other words

Aurora posted:

yes, the nebulosity is what makes it jujutsu sorcery

It's a good thing the best technique in the series is as simple as clapping your hands. :rip: Todo's hand though

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

TheHan posted:

I think that tracks! This chapter says you’ve got one second to make your 24 frame movement so taking a second to stop and think sends you right to frame hell.

I'd say Dagon's first appearance with Naobito was odd because Dagon wasn't making any movements just looking at Nanami's crew from behind a pillar. Your situation applies to when Choze got frozen in a frame while turning around to see where Naoya had moved too but stopped turning when he realized he'd been flanked. And that also makes me wonder whether Naoya couldn't have put Maki in a frame when he tapped her shoulder moments before his attack. Like he touches her but then doubled back to punch her at his top speed, yet it doesn't seem like he activated his technique nor noticed it failing to activate before she molly-whops him because being put into a frame is an instant action and she's still in the 3D realm while he's mentally calling her an imposter. Was she already moving at 24fps or was he just that confident she wouldn't be able to react to him?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So is Hakari's ability Subway trains and right now we're seeing a basic implementation of it with these sliding doors? Is he needed because he's a transporter or something?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
That is not how you throw a punch Hakari. Jesus my wrist hurt just looking at that.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

This feels like a return to form for Gege. Wasn't feeling the last mini-arc with the Zenin massacre and the leadup to Tenzen was also a bit lukewarm. But murder prosecutor is 100% my jam and I hope he sticks around long enough to drop a massive Gavel on someone.

Also neat look into the history of domain expansions. I take it there were a lot of gimmicky ones in play in the past like the Judgeman one but people thought that was lame when you could just throw infinite [insert element/object here]. But I wonder if Megumi's counts as an old school Domain Expansion since chimera playground doesn't seem to have a sure-kill attack but rather just augments his already present ability to summon shikigami + shadow travel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Megumi stated his was incomplete as it does not even have the sure-hit let alone sure kill

remembering that let me rephrase my point. Meguro's DE as it is now isn't up to modern standards but I don't think that's to his detriment since he really doesn't need one given his current capabilities. Best case a sure-hit attack would just be like Dagon's, overwhelming his opponent with sheer number of shikigami. But Dagon's DE didn't do much else besides double as a beach resort for his crew. Megumi's DE by lacking a sure kill might still provide him the flexibility to enforce interesting rules like "stepping on shadows acts as sink holes for both parties" and he can create more terrain advantage instead of devoting effort to ensuring his attacks always land. He already dabbed on a special grade curse with just his "incomplete" DE.